FINAL

From Here, Till We Meet Again

A/N: My apologies if this seemed rushed! I don't do well with one-shots but I thought about giving it a try!

 

I hope you enjoy this!

 

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

 

It was one of those feelings that any couple would feel after time goes on and on in a relationship. Woohyun had never wanted to feel this, but he knew it was natural. The feeling is doubt. He couldn’t help but doubt Sunggyu’s love for him at times. Especially because the two of them had been busy, causing them to temporarily pull apart from each other.

It had already been three years since they got together, but of course the feelings of doubt would linger between both of them. Neither one had dated another before, but was still unsure if both were being truthful. But of course, they trusted one another.

So Woohyun had taken the initiative.

They both had gone to the room they shared together, and Woohyun had turned to give Sunggyu a serious expression.

 

“Sunggyu hyung, how much do you love me?”

“Hmm… I don’t understand why you would suddenly ask me this... But from here.” Sunggyu had said back to his boyfriend, offering a small smile.

“Huh?” Woohyun responded with a raise of an eyebrow. “What does that even mean?”

“Secret.”

“Hyung~”

“Nope.”

But instead of responding this time, Woohyun had gone completely silent. His eyes meeting the ground, not looking at the older’s eyes. The feeling of doubt had begun to sink into him again. What if Sunggyu decides to leave him?

But all the doubt had subsided that moment when the others hands had carefully caressed his cheeks and a smile he loved had appeared in his sight.

“Woohyun, I know you’re feeling scared. I know you’re afraid I’ll leave… I am afraid you’ll leave me someday too. But I believe in you, and you believe in me. It’s okay to be afraid. Truth be told, I am too.”

At that, Woohyun had not said a word, just waiting for him to continue.

“I am afraid that we will both have to split apart. Not just because of our fears, but because of everyone finding out… But if it happens, I’ll fight for you. I’ll do what I can to be with you.

So will you stay with me?”

At those words, the feelings had disappeared from Woohyun. No longer were the feelings of doubt there, but instead; happiness. Woohyun was happy beyond belief from those words, and to show it he grabbed Sunggyu and pulled him into a tight hug.

“Of course Hyung, I love you~”

“I give you a full heartfelt confession but you just give me that? I can’t believe you Hyun”

“Don’t worry Hyung, I’ll just spoil you” The younger male had grinned, and before Sunggyu could get away, he firmly held his waist and lifted the other man up, earning a yelp from the other.

And of course, Woohyun had carried Sunggyu to their bed, closing the door with his foot before placing Sunggyu down on the bed before hovering over him.

“Sunggyu, I really love you. I don’t ever want to separate from you. Please stay by my side.” Woohyun had said, taking Sunggyu’s hand, pressing a kiss to each knuckle.

“Of course, why wouldn’t I?” He had replied, smiling with a faint blush from the others affection. “If I didn’t love you, I would have left.”

“Maybe because you’re tied down by my words? My voice? My handsome looks~?” Woohyun had said in a sing song voice, earning a roll of the eyes from Sunggyu.

“Alright alright, I know I’m the narcissistic one, but just be quiet for a moment” Sunggyu had retorted before slipping his hand out of the others grip, wrapping his arms around Woohyun’s neck.

“And kiss me Woohyun.”

And the two had locked lips, removed their clothes, and at that night-

They had forgotten their fears.

Months had passed, and everyone in INFINITE was getting ready for a concert. All the members were out of the dressing room, talking to staff except one. Sunggyu. The leader stood in front of a big mirror in front of the dressing room, pressing his fingers gently on his Adam’s apple with a serious expression on his face.

He felt as though there was something wrong with him.

It hurt a little to sing. He didn’t understand why, he had taken a good amount of rest, drank a lot of water…

But why? Why did his chest hurt so much? It never happened before, out of all concerts they had done, why now? Was it maybe his own emotions? No, it could not be.

He shook his head to clear out any thoughts, taking a water bottle and chugging a large amount of water.

He would overcome this; he wouldn’t be a burden to the team.

It was his only goal; to make this concert a success and keep the promise between Woohyun and him.

“After the concert Hyung, we should go to an amusement park!”

“Why? You know I don’t do well with rides. I did it once on our show.”

“Hyung, I’m determined in making your fears go away! If anything, it’ll be a step forward. You helped me overcome the fears of a relationship, now it’s my turn to help.”

“…. Alright, but you owe me food after.”

“Okay Hyung, then it’s a promise. After the concert, we’re going there”

It most likely sounded like a ‘useless’ promise. But Sunggyu smiled at the thought. To have someone next to you –to help you overcome a fear—it was something so sweet. He opened his mouth, singing a piece of the song ’60 seconds’ and it seemed fine.

Was his worries useless? Well for now it didn’t matter. He had a concert to go to, walking to the door, he grabbed the doorknob and stopped.

This pain; this feeling of his stomach turning, what was happening. Why was he feeling this now? Sure he felt nervous, but it never felt like this.

Ignoring the pain and taking in a huge breath, he opened the door and stepped out, heading to the stage.

But for some reason, he had a bad feeling.

 

The concert had started, and things were okay. But during the times they had a break; Sunggyu had to take deeper inhales, his body shook slightly, and he felt so tired. But once again, Sunggyu hadn’t told anyone and brushed past the feeling.

 

Time had passed, the concert was going well. It was near the time where they would perform a slower song; only tears.

As he sat in the chair, the tired feeling was taking over again. Sunggyu rubbed his eyes, lightly smacking himself on the cheeks to try to overcome the feeling.

After Hoya’s line, Sunggyu had held up the microphone, starting to sing the chorus.

Oh, I.. I don’t have anything I can give you
(but I’m) missing you
I can’t even give you loving words-

He sang the three lines perfectly but stopped. He brought a hand to his mouth as he started to cough, getting the attention of all s and fans. Everyone threw him a worried glance –especially Woohyun- but he used his hand (that held the microphone) to wave at them, telling them not to worry.

But his coughing worsened. He continued to cough, his body bending forward as he continued to cough into his hand. At this point Woohyun was already at his side, continuously asking him if he was okay.

But he couldn’t hear the others concern, because he felt something wet on his hand. It was most likely his saliva, but pulling his hand back, his eyes widened in shock.

It wasn’t saliva.

 

It was blood.

After that, the concert had continued. Woohyun had gotten worried over Sunggyu, for the other had left to the hospital as the rest of the members had to continue the concert.

As they performed, Woohyun had thought about Sunggyu. They hadn’t kept any secret from each other, had Sunggyu kept a secret of him being sick, hidden?

Woohyun just wanted to know, no, he needed to know.

 

After the concert ended, he ran. He ran quickly with s behind him, demanding them to take them to see their leader. And of course the staff complied.

The only thing running through his mind was Sunggyu. The image of Sunggyu breaking out into continuous coughs, the image of Sunggyu staring at the blood in shock as the song had stopped at that moment. The look of horror Sunggyu had as he was told he could no longer perform and had to be taken to the hospital.

It irked Woohyun, since he knew that performing was Sunggyu’s life.

‘Sunggyu, hold on. I’m coming, please tell me everything when we get there’

 

 

It felt like the world was crashing down on him. As they stood in front of their leader’s hospital room, the Doctor had confronted them and held out a clipboard.

“Well… About Kim Sungkyu.. He ______“

Woohyun’s eyes widened in disbelief.

He needed to talk to Sunggyu.

 

Opening the door to the room, Woohyun stepped in, taking in the surroundings. The sounds of the heartbeats being measured echoed into the room, alongside a sound of soft breathing.

It felt like Woohyun couldn’t move, it felt too peaceful in the hospital room, and he couldn’t stand it. But he mustered his courage to take a step forward, walking up to the body that laid in the bed.

He hesitantly reached out a hand to touch the others hair, scared he would ‘break’ the other by a simple touch.

“Gyu..” He spoke the others name, ever so softly. He took a chair and brought it close to the bed, sitting down as he stared at the others face.

Sunggyu was pale, eyes closed with a breathing mask on. This was not the Sunggyu he knew, the Sunggyu he knew was full of life. Eyes were open; his nagging at the members could be heard. Despite being teased, the leader would laugh it off, before returning retorts of his own.

But that’s not what he was seeing right now. Right now he was seeing his leader, weak… It’s as if his lover was a doll. Looking fragile, to the point where Woohyun was afraid to touch him.

 

The other members insisted that they join Woohyun, but Dongwoo had held them back. Telling them that Woohyun would do. If Sunggyu were to wake up, maybe the stress of too many people in a room could stress him out. They all complied after hearing that, but demanded that Woohyun called them if anything happened.

Of course Woohyun agreed.

Resting the side of his head on the bed, he let his eyes wander to look at his lover’s face. Once again seeing the pale face... It hurt him.
 

He had so much to ask Sunggyu, but it was late anyway.

Realizing how much time had passed, he immediately sat up to check his phone; visiting times were over.

Sighing, he got up and placed a kiss on the others forehead.

 

“I’ll be back tomorrow Gyu, please be awake…”

Next morning, Woohyun had arrived at the hospital again. Wearing a beanie with sunglasses and a face mask, he was ready. He really didn’t want to be stalked by his fans as he went to go see Sunggyu.

Making his way to Sunggyu’s room, he had opened the door and his eyes widened at the sigh ahead of him. He was so thankful to see his lover sitting up, looking out the window. At least he knew the other would wake up.

It seemed the other didn’t notice until Woohyun had called out to him, and he turned his head and their eyes met. Woohyun wasted no time to quickly jog over, taking the others hand in his.

“Gyu, you’re awake... You’re awake.”

“Woohyun..?”

Sunggyu’s voice was more hoarse than the usual voice he knew. And it made Woohyun tense up. The words of the doctor echoed in his mind:

“Well… About Kim Sungkyu… He has to quit his career.”

“What..? You shouldn’t say such a thing. Our hyung loves to sing! Stop trying to play such a trick on us.” Dongwoo had said in a serious tone, surprising for the happy-go-lucky member.

“I’m serious. Him coughing out blood, coughing continuously… Weak body, weight loss... It’s all a sign.
 

I’m sorry, but he has been diagnosed with lung cancer.”

 

“Gyu, please answer me truthfully. This whole time, did you know?”

“Know? Ah, the doctor told you right..?” Sunggyu had responded in a quieter tone than usual, taking in more breaths than usual each time he had spoke, but he tried.

“Yes Gyu, he did. How long have you been dealing with those symptoms?”

“……. Only recently. It was only a bit of coughing and loss of appétit. That’s it.”

“Gyu, you shouldn’t push past this! Don’t take it so lightly, it’s cancer for heaven’s sake!”

“…….”

“Gyu don’t worry, we can get you the proper treatment. We can, just don’t-“

“Woohyun. I’m not giving up.” A stern tone was now present as his hand squeezed tightly onto Woohyun’s causing him to pause.

“I know fighting it will be tough. But it will be alright. I won’t give up, not matter what I’ll survive. I love you Woohyun.”

“I love you too Sunggyu, thank you for not giving up.”

 

 

Days had passed, months had passed, years had passed. It had been ten years already, and Sunggyu had recovered quite a bit. he didn’t look quite as pale as when it first happened.

The members would do their best to visit Sunggyu when they were free. INFINITE had still lived on, Dongwoo and L would do their best to take over Sunggyu’s lines. Sunggyu would make sure to watch videos or accept their video calls.

Seeing his happy members always brought a smile to their face. Especially when they had bickered over simple things; such as ‘who had talked to him the longest’.

But of course, with every good side, there was a downside.

Due to his condition, the promise he made with Woohyun had disappeared.

Sunggyu had become unable to walk on his own, so he would need the assistance of a wheelchair.

Coughing fits had become more daily for him too; it would happen at any time of course. This angered him, he just wanted to be free. To sing in INFINITE again… That’s all he wanted.

But he knew it was nothing but a fleeting dream. Something that would never come true.

Sunggyu had accepted the fact that he could die at any moment, he knew Woohyun wouldn’t give up. But Sunggyu already had.

Grabbing his phone, Sunggyu checked the date. April 27. A day before his birthday, sadly Woohyun and the rest of the members couldn’t be with him currently and he knew it would be tough for them to cancel. So the leader had told them to go and to not worry about him.

But of course before Woohyun left, Woohyun had showered Sunggyu in hugs and kisses, telling him to wait for him.

He agreed, but it was a promise he could not fulfill.

He had talked to the doctor, asking him a favor.

 

 

Staring at his phone, he smiled as he watched the live performance of s. They were growing so much, improving so much.

That brought tears to his eyes.
 

Leaning his head back against the headboard, he sighed softly with a smile. His body had felt weak, he couldn’t move. So it’s going to happen.

The time where he disappears.

Looking at his phone, he pressed a button before holding it close to his lips.

 

 

They had came back from the concert three days later. All of them were exhausted but ecstatic to see their Hyung again. After landing, their manager had taken them to the hospital right away. And all of them had walked to their leader’s room together, smiling and laughing.

When they reached the door, Woohyun had opened it.

“Gyu! We’re bac-“But abruptly stopped. This had shocked the members, so they all looked into the room, their eyes widened as they had no words.

The room was empty, and Sunggyu was nowhere to be found.

“Ah, you all came back” A voice had spoken behind them, and they all turned to see the doctor.

“Sir… Where is Sunggyu?”

“I’m sorry…. But I have something to tell you.”

 

Woohyun believed in fate. But how could fate do this to him? He wondered as he stood outside, the sight of a casket in front of him with a picture of the one he loved so much.

He bit his lips as he walked closer to the casket, his eyes watering as he looked to see his lover’s face.

Pale, yet so peaceful and beautiful.

Why had Sunggyu looked perfect despite leaving this world?

“We are all here to remember the one that passed away, Kim Sunggyu.” And so the funeral started. Woohyun had looked so broken; his head was hanging as the man spoke. But could he help it? He lost someone so precious.

He had zoned out when the other had gave his speech, he only thoughts were of Sunggyu. Sunggyu smiling, laughing, crying, nagging.. Those were all engraved into his mind.

How could fate take him away?

As Woohyun blamed the world for this, a hand had squeezed his shoulder, snapping him out of the trance. Looking to his right, Hoya had given him a look before motioned for him to pay attention.

And good thing Hoya did.

“Kim Sungkyu’s last wish.. Was for me to play this message.” The man said, before pressing the button, and an oh so familiar voice started to speak through the phone.

“I didn’t think I’d have to record such a message.”The voice began, as a soft chuckle was heard. “But I’ll get to the point. It’s April 27, and I know I’m dying. I would’ve loved to be at an INFINITE concert during my last moments, but of course it’s impossible. I wish I could have seen my member’s one last time, I wish I could have hugged them, told them I loved them… So I will do it now.

My members of INFINITE, I love all of you. Thank you for dealing with such an annoying Hyung. These symptoms.. I didn’t mean to keep it a secret. I didn’t think it was anything serious, so I ignored it. And it seemed like that was not a smart choice.

Do not blame yourselves for what happened to me, please. “ The voice had grown weaker, the breathing had deepened. And Woohyun- no, not just him... Everyone knew at this moment; Sunggyu was fighting to survive.

“Woohyun, I’m sorry. I love you, I wish I could’ve kept our promise.” A chuckle was heard through the phone, before a soft sob followed.

“Truth be told, I’m scared… I’m really scared. I don’t want to die; I don’t want to leave everyone. This leader is not as strong as you think, I’m a coward.

Dongwoo ah.. You’re the second oldest, please look after everyone okay?”

The message had finished.

 

 

But Woohyun hadn’t cried. During the funeral, during everything… He never did.

 

 

“Hey Gyu, it’s me. It’s been about two years. Don’t I look more handsome? Time has passed so quickly. Did you expect Hoya and Dongwoo to get together? Or L and Sungyeol? Me neither. I mean they seemed obvious, but come on; we both know that they wouldn’t admit it. I know you would want me to move on, and I slowly am. It’s hard to not think about the days we were together. I can’t help but watch videos of our lives, our shows we appeared on… And I want to thank you. I never thanked you properly too, for loving someone like me.

I knew you were fighting for us, for me. You would have given up earlier, but you held on. I never expressed how proud I was, it might be late but.

I’m proud of you. And I miss you so much.”

Woohyun kneeled down to the grave, placing a bouquet of flowers down before using a hand to brush away the dust on Sunggyu’s grave. And his eyes widened at the message written.

 

Kim Sungkyu

-To here and till I meet you again

 

“You.. You idiot.. So that’s what you meant back then, huh?” Woohyun mumbled as tears had trailed down his cheeks before he could control his emotions.

 

“Yeah Sunggyu… I love you too.

 

From here to here, and till I meet you again.”