Final

Library

If people told you that you’d most likely spend your mid break in uni in the library at the beginning of the semester, you’d say they were joking.

 

Sadly, it is the truth when you’re swamped with lots and lots of essays. Not to mention you need to revise some of your lectures that you’ve been skipping. And it was a lot. But who could you blame? You’ve had too much fun going out with your friends and also sleeping in instead of going for your morning lectures. But then again, who would’ve ever thought of having a 9AM lecture, on a Monday nonetheless.

 

You huffed as you put your bag on one of the table in the library. It was your second day at the library which was also the second day of your break.

 

Ha, break? What break when you’ve been spending it cooped up in the library? You thought to yourself as you began to set up your laptop and notes. Not long after that you put on your earphones and focused on your task at hand.

 

A few hours went by and you began to realize there’s more people in the library. Today you had come a little earlier, afraid you wouldn’t be able to get a good seat. The day before was a little bit of a disaster as you had to look around for a good 15 minutes to find a nice spot to focus.

 

You could say you’ve made progress with your work and decided a break was needed. After asking the person close to you to look after your things for a while, you had went and walked towards the exit. You were planning to go to the campus’ cafeteria when you almost knocked over a pile of books…that was slightly taller than you. Alarmed, you had back off before looking down and seeing a pair of legs. Oh, so there was someone holding it.

 

You apologized for almost knocking them over and was about to sidestep them when his head tilted to see who it was. You were then met with dark and brooding eyes you feel like you’ve seen a couple of times. The guy apologized as well and had started walking away.

 

You then began recalling the name of the book holder. What was it again “Won…woo?”

 

“Yeah? Do you need any help?” He had asked. You didn’t realise you had said his name out loud and were a little surprised he had heard.

 

“Oh, nothing.” You began to feel flustered, not really prepared in having a conversation with the guy. “I, uh, we have literature class together and I thought I’d say hi…?”

 

“Oh, I see. I don’t really remember you.” He said as a matter of fact making you feel a little embarrassed. But then again, you haven’t really spoken much to him. You haven’t spoken to him at all actually. He then began shifting his foot. “Sorry, I really need to put these books back.”

 

“Oh, of course! Sorry to have been holding you up.” You said feeling bad after remembering he’s been holding quite a pile of books. After disappearing behind the row of books, you had continued your journey to the cafeteria as well as trying to forget the embarrassing encounter.

 

The next day you went to the library around the same time. Thinking of changing the atmosphere a bit, you selected a different place to sit, near the window and close to the information desk. After setting up, your eyes widened when they settled on the information desk. There stood Wonwoo in front of the desk.

 

You thought he was waiting for the librarian, but he went and sat down at the information desk. It was confusing for you but you didn’t really put too much thought into it and was soon absorbed in your own task.

 

From time to time you would look up to find Wonwoo either working on the computer or catering to some students. One time you had looked up only to find the desk empty. A while after that though he had went back to his spot with a couple of books in hand.

 

After a few hours, you began to get bored and started dozing off in your own thoughts. What you weren’t aware of was that the direction you were looking at was towards Wonwoo. It was a shock to him seeing you looking his way with a dull look. He had looked behind him and thought you were looking at something else, but then there was nothing. Didn’t know what to do, he was about to greet you when you began stretching and went back to focusing on your task.

 

When the sun had began to set you were still rooted in your seat. Diligently looking back and forth between your laptop and notes as well as yawning now and then. Feeling like you deserved a break, you rest your head on a makeshift headrest made out of your books and decided to rest your eyes for a few minutes.

 

A few minutes turned into an hour and if it weren’t for the hand that had shook you awake, you could have probably slept longer. You rubbed your eyes tiredly and when they had began to focus, you were met with Wonwoo’s face. Having his face up close had you shocked and clutching your chest.

 

Great, now you’ve done it. You said to yourself in embarrassment. Second time meeting and you probably drooled all over your books.

 

“Hey sorry, but we’re closing this section of the library.” He had said with a deep voice. “You can still use the other section of the library though if you’d like, though I think it’s better if you rest at home.” His tone was monotonous but had no malice in it. It’s as if he was just stating a reasonable fact and you were thankful for it.

 

After muttering a soft thank you, you began to pack up quickly and agreed with Wonwoo’s suggestion to head home and rest.

 

The next day was also a library day. You head on a little later than the day before but were thankful that there were still empty seats. as you were about to begin, you found that some of your notes was missing. Trying to recall the last time you’ve seen them, the memory of last night had you groaning in frustration.

 

In the midst of being embarrassed being caught sleeping, you had tried to get out of the library as quickly as possible leaving your notes on the desk. Guess I have to ask Wonwoo if he’s seen my notes.

 

Before you could think of anything else, a figure had approached your seat and the deep voice had filled your ears.

 

“Hey literature class girl, you forgot this last night.” Wonwoo had placed the notes you’ve been searching for, the one you thought was lost. Too stunned by his actions, you were a little dumbfounded and weren’t able to say anything or even nod, only looking at your missing notes. This had led Wonwoo into thinking you weren’t paying attention which made him wave his hand in front of your face to gain your attention. That had snapped you out of your trance.

 

“Oh, uh, I have a name you know.” You blurted out instead of thanking him.

 

Idiot, why did you say that? You mentally scolded yourself.

 

“Yeah? What is it?” He asked, surprising you yet again with his response. A soft murmur of your name made him acknowledge it with a nod. “Okay then, it was nice to actually know your name. I’ll be off now.”

 

“Thank you!” You had said, a little louder than you intended. He looked back, gave you a shrug and… was that a smile? Before you could analyze further, his back was towards you and he went his own way, wherever that is.

 

Not wanting to linger on the issue any further, you had swamped yourself with your notes and other tasks for the day.

 

***

Evening was approaching and you had decided you deserved a treat. Heading out, you glanced at the information desk finding Wonwoo yawning while typing something on his computer. Well, maybe I can thank him for this morning.

 

A can of coffee was suddenly placed in front of Wonwoo making him look towards his guest. You had stood there, your hand still lingered at the can of coffee you had just placed on the table.

 

“It’s a thank you for returning my notes.” You said sheepishly, finally letting go of the can of coffee. Wonwoo had blinked at you, not expecting this at all.

 

“You didn’t have to,” he had said straightening up his previous posture. “It’s no big deal.”

 

“I insist,” you replied, “you even had to stay a little longer ‘cause I was asleep yesterday.” With a smile, you had left the still dazed Wonwoo.

 

Not long after you had left, Wonwoo opened the can of coffee and drank it. It was sweeter than he had expected.

 

***

The next few days, you had become a frequent visitor of the library. Moreover, you were now more or so acquaintance with Jeon Wonwoo. Though you rarely talk, both of you had started to greet each other with you smiling at him and him nodding in acknowledgment.

 

You were now left with one assessment due the week after. It was your literature essay and you need to get ahold of one book you’re not sure where it is. You had looked it up in the library catalog but couldn’t exactly pinpoint where it was located.Reluctantly, you head towards the information desk for assistance and found none other than Wonwoo.

 

“Hey, can you help me find a book?” You had asked as soon as you reached the desk. Looking up, Wonwoo had found you looking at your feet. “Sure, what book?” His hands were on the keyboard ready to type the title.

 

“Uh, it’s for our literature essay, A Midsummer Night’s Dream.” You answered and he began typing away in the computer. “It’s in section 8.”

 

“I, uh, don’t actually know where that is.” You had admitted sheepishly. Even too embarrassed to look at him, eyes focused on your shoes. The next thing you heard was the scraping of chair on the floor. Looking up, you found Wonwoo already standing up.

 

“Come on, I’ll take you there.” He said as he made his way out of his desk. You trailed behind him, following him through rows and rows of books. Stopping at an aisle, you both stood in the middle of two row of books. The space was a little cramp and both of you were standing side by side.

 

“It’s that one.” He said lowly, pointing towards a book on the upper shelf. You nodded and tried to reach it but was unsuccessful. You were still on your tippy toes and was about to ask for his help when you felt heat radiating from your back. Wonwoo was standing close behind you and reaching out for the book easily.

 

You turned around and was surprised at the close proximity. You weren’t particularly short, but Wonwoo still had towered over you. “Here.” He said giving you the book. You took it gratefully, mumbling a soft thanks and still looking down to hide the blush that’s starting to rise up your face. You could hear a soft chuckle from him as he brushed past you saying not to mention it.

 

And with that, Wonwoo had left you with a group of butterflies in our stomach and a blush as red as a tomato.

The break was over and you were more than glad to have spent those days in the library. Not only did you finish all of your assessment on time, catching up on the lectures you’ve missed, you also got to know Jeon Wonwoo a little bit more.

 

You were now sitting in your literature class waiting for your friend Yerin who also took the class. The seats on both sides of yours were empty and students were starting to come. You were engrossed in your own thoughts when someone had set their bag on your left side. Startled, you looked up to find Wonwoo’s figure looming over you.

 

“Can I sit here?” He asked, not just yet sitting. You nodded, a little surprised that he chose to sit next to you when you haven’t really talked to him in class. After your approval, he sat down and began taking out his notes and pen. Your eyes were still fixed on him and he seemed to have noticed as the corner of his lips curve up a little. You were about to say something but Yerin had arrived with quite a ruckus and the lecturer had shortly arrived after that.

 

After class, you were packing up when Wonwoo had said, “I’ll see you around” and left the class. Your eyes widened and you gave a short wave to him which left your friend gaping at you. “You know Jeon Wonwoo?”

 

The trip to your next class was filled with Yerin’s endless question about Wonwoo. “How do you guys know each other? When did you become friends? Why did he work in the library?” and lastly “You mean you spent the entire break at the library?”

 

“Yes, Yerin I did spend my entire break cooped up at the library.” You had told her after answering every question she threw at you. “To be fair, my work was piling up and I don’t know when else I could finish it.”

 

“Oh? Are you sure it’s not because of a certain librarian?” She asked with a wiggle of her eyebrows.

 

“Noo,” you denied, laughing lightly at her assumption. “I didn’t even know he helps at the library.”

 

“But you knew after the first day and you kept coming and bumping into him.” You could only shake your head in amusement, this girl really doesn’t know when to let up. In turn, you began questioning her on what she did during the break which fortunately succeeded in diverting the topic.

 

***

 

After that, Wonwoo had started sitting next to you in class. This also came with Yerin’s unending teasing which embarrassed you so much that you couldn’t help but feel the blush prominent on your cheeks. You just wished Wonwoo hadn’t noticed.

 

You and Wonwoo were pretty much close acquaintance by now. In class you guys would randomly struck a conversation or even borrow each other’s pens. You’ve also bumped into him in the hallways in between classes or even the cafeteria a couple of times and had greeted each other. You’ve even went to the library to do your assignment and had found yourselves casually chatting with him and surprisingly, it was very comfortable to be with him. But you couldn’t fight the butterflies whenever he had smiled at something you’ve said or whenever he’s sitting or standing very close to you.

 

***

 

You have now started going to the library more often. You said to yourself that it’s because the end of the semester is approaching and not because of anything else. Your friend Yerin though had said otherwise, that it’s partially the reason and the other one is a certain tall and charming guy from literature class. You had denied it but Yerin wasn’t so convinced.

 

Now, you and Yerin were heading towards the library. She’s been teasing you all the way to the library and you practically had to cover with your own hand as she’s starting to sing of you and Wonwoo’s love.

 

You still had your hand over Yerin’s mouth as you both entered the library when you bumped into Wonwoo. He eyed you both and you quickly put your hand down as well as not meeting his gaze. Yerin had subtly nudged you with her elbow and you wished you could shove her right then and there but was interrupted when Wonwoo began speaking.

 

“Hey guys.” He greeted you both and you had looked up to smile at him. He then turned to you and offered you a book which you took hesitantly. “I found this book and thought you’d liked it.”

 

You were surprised and had looked at the book in hand. A smile grew and you beamed at him. “Thanks Wonwoo.” He smiled back and left not long after that. Still holding on to the book, you didn’t notice Yerin’s grin.

 

“Ah, how romantic of you guys.” She said, dramatically swooning. You playfully pushed her and started to look for a place to sit as Yerin followed, still giggling from her own antics.

 

“Seriously though, did you not see him practically beaming when you smiled at him?” She asked when you both found a spot. “You’re imagining things Yerin.”

 

“But you have to admit that was a sweet gesture of him to do.” She grinned mischievously at you. Well, you couldn’t deny that, cause honestly it was pretty sweet.

 

***

 

Exams are coming soon and you’ve been spending most of your time in the library. Yerin would occasionally tag along, but you would often find yourself with Wonwoo’s company.

 

You have once stayed until quite late, even after Wonwoo’s shift at the library had ended and he had offered to take you home. You were about to reject the offer but he was already heading towards your dorm. The walk to your dorm wasn’t very eventful, both of you were quiet most of the time with occasional conversations here and there.

 

You’d be lying if you weren’t pleased with the development of your relationship with Wonwoo. However, the question that lingered in your mind is that whether he felt the same as you did. Did butterflies erupt in his stomach whenever you hung out together? Did he keep replaying the scenes throughout the day you guys spent together before he fell asleep?

 

***

 

One particular day before your last paper, you found yourself in the company of Wonwoo in your favorite spot at the library. Not many people were there considering it was close to the end of exams week. However, you wouldn’t say the library was completely deserted as well.

 

You were supposed to meet up with Yerin but she was running a bit late. Seeing you alone in the corner and him having not much to do, Wonwoo decided to keep you entertained. You guys caught up for a while, asking about how each other’s exams went and all that until Yerin came and Wonwoo had to go back to his duties.

 

Before he went back though he had handed a book to you. “You should check page 17 and let me know what you think after the break.” He had said and off he went. You didn’t think too much of it and began revising with Yerin.

 

I’ll just check this out later, you thought putting the book away and ignoring Yerin’s teasing.

 

***

 

After finishing your last exam, Yerin decided that both of you should reward yourselves. Going to one of the best dessert place in campus was what you guys decided to do. While enjoying your treat, Yerin had brought up the topic of Wonwoo.

 

“So any update on lover boy and you?” She casually asked while chowing down a spoonful of ice cream. You groaned, not wanting to think about it just after exams.

 

“Nothing’s happened,” you finally answered, “honestly I think he’s just being friendly and I may just read too much into it thanks to you.”

 

“Come on, it’s a possibility and you can’t deny it.” She reasoned which you just replied with a shrug. “Well, you can always ask him straight on, it’ll save both of us from this misery.”

 

At that you had spluttered. “No way, no way.” You shook your head vigorously. “What if he really doesn’t see me that way? It will be too awkward.”

 

“Sweetie, I think it’s the best time to ask.” Yerin said. “It’s almost semester break, if he really doesn’t see you that way then you can avoid him without looking like you’re avoiding him.”

 

***

 

Yerin’s reasoning had persuaded you to be in front of the library a few hours later. After a lot of persuading from Yerin, you had finally cave in to your curiosity as well and contacted Wonwoo to ask of his whereabouts. Turns out he has a shift in the library and you made up a lame excuse of returning an overdue book to him.

 

You hesitated entering the library. Previously, you were eager in asking Wonwoo and getting it over with. But then, you hadn’t exactly been in the actual situation and all of that confidence and eagerness were replaced with anxiousness.

 

You took a deep breath and determined yourself to get this over with. Stepping into the library, you saw that there weren’t many people. Nearing the information table, you spot Wonwoo sitting quite relaxed, he had his glasses on and also a book in hand. When he saw you he gave you a small smile and beckoned you over.

 

“Hey, so what book did you say you borrowed?” He asked when you were right in front of him and his gaze was now on the computer as he typed away. You felt your hands getting clammy and also your face heating up straight away. When you hadn’t replied in a while Wonwoo’s eyes left the screen and directed it towards you.

 

Okay let’s just get this over with, you thought to yourself and rubbed your sweaty palms on your jeans. Taking a deep breath, you tried to calm the butterflies in your stomach.

 

“Um, I don’t actually have an overdue borrowed book.” You said slowly, you tried reading his expression. Wonwoo had looked confused at your statement. Before he could say anything, and before you chickened out, you had spoke up straight away. “I actually want to ask you something.”

 

“W-would you, uh,” you began to stammer, but Wonwoo encouraged you to continue. “I was, um, actually wondering if you’d like to go out with me?” you mumbled, “sometime?”

 

You weren’t sure of what to expect. While asking, your gaze went lower and lower and was now trained to the floor. There was a brief moment of silence before Wonwoo cleared his throat. Your head snapped up at the sound and saw Wonwoo scratching the back of his neck. Oh no, I just made things awkward.

 

Taking that as a negative sign, you tried not to be too hurt from it and began forming sentences in your head. However, before muttering a lame excuse and fleeing from the scene Wonwoo had spoken up.

 

“Have you read page 17 of the book I gave you?”

 

That was not what you thought he would say. You were confused and it was probably written in your face as Wonwoo let out a chuckle. “I’m guessing you haven’t, huh?”

 

You dumbly shook your head and earned a grin from Wonwoo. “Maybe you should read it first.” He suggested with a slight teasing tone.

 

Rummaging through your bag, you found the book he gave you a few days ago. Wonwoo encouraged you to open the book as you were still confused. When you opened page 17, you couldn’t help but grinned.

 

After exams are over, would you like to hang out together. Not at the library but maybe somewhere else? Movies and dinner maybe?

 

Was scribbled on the corner of the book. Your pretty sure you looked like a giddy kid in a candy store when you looked up at Wonwoo. But you weren’t alone, for Wonwoo also looked at you with hopeful eyes.