Epilogue.

Tomorrow

Baekhyun wakes up by the sound of a bothersome beeping that was playing in the exact same rhythm for the past 32 years. Surrounding him was darkness and inappreciable air that was keeping him alive in such a place for an undoubted long time. Natheless, he felt his heart suddenly pumping in a rapid motion and a swift, hurting stab in his chest made him shoot open his sticky eyes that were glued together by the blues and moisture and such lamentation.

 

It took a while for Byun Baekhyun to perceive what was happening. His mind and body were jumbled like tiny pieces of puzzle. He was still finding his way out of the inanimateness and into the white door that would lead him to reality. His chest felt heavy as if there was something attached or lying on it. He breathed once and the sound of the monitor raised an octave.

 

A bright white light distorted Baekhyun's sight. It was too argent to make his eyes burn. However, he kept blinking to ease the unwanted stress. His forehead creased inflexibly, making Baekhyun realize how inert his body might have been for the past days, or months or even years.

The beeping music that confused him had now changed it's tempo and flow.

His heart let out a tiny ache. A pinch that reminded him scraps of elapsed memories.

 

Baekhyun tried to move his hands and legs. His fingers twitched but he felt something rough and wrinkly intertwined with his powerless ones. Baekhyun frowned since the touch somehow seemed familiar yet novel. He curiously moved his head to the side; still not being able to move his entire body and saw a person sleeping with his short haired head buried in his arms at Baekhyun's frame. Baek noticed the hands that were connected with his. They appeared so old and delicate. The veins were apparently darker on the back of the palm and the skin, pendulous.

 

Who...who is this person...thought Baekhyun in a capricious manner when unexpectedly, the head that was dreaming of the yesterdays, gone bys and the forgotten was now waking up to a tomorrow.

 

Baekhyun's eyes widened as soon as the face became patent in his blurry vision and streams of tears that were held for the longest of times fell from the corners of his eyes like an eternal ocean.

 

Chanyeol's misty eyes feebly looked up at Baekhyun who couldn't believe what he was seeing. His closest friend whose face was young and handsome whereupon a dozen girls would follow him everywhere was now a face relapsed; a wrinkly old man with a fragile body that could end up breaking if given much force. Yet, the smile that Chanyeol used to give Baekhyun as a promise and vow was unchanged. An amaranthine smile.

 

"Baekhyun-ah..." Chanyeol's soft voice brought back crowded memories of them both but the tears in his eyes were endless. "You're finally awake..." Baekhyun felt warm droplets of water fall on the back of his palm and the grip on his hand, tightening.

 

Baek wanted to call out to Chanyeol. He had so many questions, so many things he wanted to ask him and so much more to release from his undying mind. However, as he attempted to open his mouth and let out the melody that would make his friend jump in joy, Chanyeol's eyes drooped low and the excited pulse that was thumping was now decreasing into a beat or two at a time. Slowly, Chanyeol's fingers loosened around Baek's and then all at once, his pulse ceased and so did his heart beat.

His head settled on their unclenched fingers and the final tears of Park Chanyeol livened Baekhyun's paralyzed hands.

 

Baekhyun screamed Chanyeol's name in his head. He wanted to yell at Chanyeol to wake up. To smile at him, to assure him that was still there and to narrate his entire life story since the day Baekhyun went into a state of coma. His voice was suddenly gone but the loudness in his tears and the uncontrollable beeping of the monitor was enough for the doctors to come running to the two of them.

 

For Park Chanyeol, it was always a hopeful tomorrow. A tomorrow where he looked forward to Byun Baekhyun waking up from his slumber and seeing him harmonize the lyrics with his music once more.

But for Baekhyun, it was an endless loop of yesterdays. A yesterday where he wished he could turn back time and bury his relentless regrets.

 

Nevertheless, Baekhyun was stuck in the tomorrow's, while Chanyeol ceased to exit from the yesterdays.