Over

The Search
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

“Is this where Bae Joohyun lives? I’m Wendy Son, Jung Inha’s granddaughter.”

Just “Oh.” was Joohyun’s response. Wendy raised an eyebrow expectantly. “I mean, oh! You are? I-I’m Bae Joohyun. I’m… y-yeah.” Why am I fidgeting so much?!

“I’d like to confirm that you’re the one who wrote Gran the letter?”

“Yup! That’s me,” She let out an awkward chuckle.

“Oh okay,” Wendy scratched the side of her head. She looks pissed..? “So you’re the one who made us drive all the way here for this nonsense? You’re just gonna get my grandma’s hopes up and what? Hurt her in the end?”

“Ye—uh, excuse me?” Joohyun blinked her bunny eyes. She creased her forehead and scoffed. “What do you mean nonsense? And I was not—“

“I apologize for this child’s behaviour, Miss Bae.” Joohyun almost jumped in shock at the sudden appearance. An elderly yet a very beautiful and elegant woman joined the other girl in front of her door. “I’m Jung Inha, pleasure to meet you.” The woman reached out a hand which she shook. “Pleasure is mine, ma’am.”

“Ma’am?” Inha laughed. “You are too formal, sweetie. You can call me Granny or Gran like Seungwan does.”

Seungwan? Pfft. Wendy my . “Then, you can call me Joohyun, Hyun, or whatever endearing nickname you choose, Gran! Nice meeting you as well, Seungwan.” She made sure to emphasize the last one and smirked.

Seungwan (or Wendy) groaned at the use of her Korean name. “Gran, what are you doing here? I told you to wait by the car.”

“I knew you’d talk to her like this.” She turned to Joohyun once again. She made a this-child-is-too-readable face to which the girl giggled. “May we come inside, dear?”

“Ah, of course, yes, please!” Joohyun beamed brightly at Inha but glared at Seungwan. She seethed when the other girl bumped her on purpose.

 

Joohyun and Inha talked about the letters and the former found out the latter is in her mid-sixties (which she found insane because she looks ten years younger). Inha is delighted that the house Joohyun’s living in right now is not too different from the house Chanwook lived in. They still kept the same style.

“His family used to own this house and I was eight, so was he, when we moved next door. We played with the other kids, too, but he was so kind and he gets my jokes, I get his and he became my bestfriend until it grew into something more.”

“Oh my god, that is so adorable, Gran.”

“Ugh, give me a break.”

I can’t believe I was sooo close to falling for that squishy face. “Don’t mind the party-pooper, Gran.”

She shares her husband passed away seven years ago and she has not stopped thinking about her first love since. She was scared and admittedly embarrassed, she finds herself too old for things like these but like Joohyun, her hopeless romantic side tells her otherwise.

“Also, wouldn’t that be the point? None of us are getting any younger, Gran,” She held Inha’s hand. “And we could not afford to waste more time. It’s like ticking things off your bucket list. Just that, in your case, you want to see Chanwook, have your questions answered, and have a proper closure.” She bit her lip. “I’d also like to apologize again for reading your letter. It was very intrusive of me.”

She might have heard Seungwan scoff from her seat.

“On the contrary, I’m so thankful you read my letter and wrote to me. You’re right. You made me realize all these.” She smiles at the younger girl. “No what-ifs.”

Joohyun returns the smile. “No regrets.”

Meanwhile, Seungwan sits across them, just finding everything stupid.

“Does she even smile?” Joohyun whispers pertaining to Inha’s grandchild. She’s hot and all, I’ll admit that, but she’s so… grumpy.

“Believe me, she does,” The woman replies. “That kid is softer than marshmallow if you catch her good side.”

 

 

“Look, I don’t think we’d make a good team, Gran.” So much for softer than marshmallow.

“Seungwan, don’t be like that in front of our host.”

“It’s fine.” Joohyun interjects. “I mean, I don’t think so either. But—“ She looks pointedly at Seungwan. “—this is not about teams, it’s not about us, it’s about you, Gran. Good team or not, we’re going to find Kim Chanwook.”

“Hold on a sec. Why’d she even go with us? I thought you just wanted to see the sender?”

“Joohyun wants to help. And you will let her.” The bunny-eyed does not know where all Inha’s patience is coming from. Hers is getting critically low at this point. “She wants to share the story on her blog, don’t you think it’s nice, dear?”

“Unbelievable.” Seungwan mutters.

“No, you know what? You’re unbelievable.” Joohyun spats at her. Sorry, Gran, your grandchild is too much. “You can’t even pretend to be excited or at least supportive for something your grandmother really wants? Something that has bothered her for years?”

“I am supportive! That’s why I’m here!” She answers back. “The only one I don’t approve of here is you.”

“Supportive? Funny, you don’t seem like it. You don’t approve of me? Well, I don’t think your pessimism alone is going to take you anywhere. I’m pretty sure you’re gonna need some positivity searching for someone you have no contact with for years. You need someone who will motivate, not the other way around.”

“And then what? Put it up on your blog? What if we don’t find him?”

“That is not the point, Seungwan. What matters more is the story of the journey, not the destination.”

“Alright, you two, that’s enough.” Inha mediates and they immediately clammed up. “Joohyun has a point, Wannie. Come on.” She walked over to her granddaughter clung sweetly to her arm. Joohyun’s fire almost fizzled out when she saw Seungwan’s eyes soften. She nearly smiled at the sight. I’m still a bit pissed. But she looked at them and Seungwan kissed Inha’s forehead surrendered to her grandma’s wishes.

Huh. At least she’s a marshmallow for Gran.

 

 

“AHHHHHH!!!” Joohyun’s scream could awaken the whole neighbourhood. Fortunately, her housemates are away for vacation.

After covering her ears, Seungwan immediately covered her eyes. “WHAT ARE YOU DOING HERE?!” Dear lord, this is embarrassing! Joohyun closed the shower curtain.

“Me?! What are you doing here?” She’s still freaking out. “I thought you were gonna use the bathroom upstairs?”

“I thought you were gonna use the bathroom upstairs! That’s why I came to here!” Why the heck is she still not leaving?! “Why don’t you close your shower curtain?”

“I-I don’t like closing it. It feels humid.” She timidly admits. “Go away now! I want to shower in peace!”

“Why don’t you close the door then? It’s still humid?” I sense the tone of mockery.

“I forgot okay?! I didn’t exactly expect you to come barging in while I’m taking a bath! Happy?”

“Alright, alright, chill. I’m going out now.” About freaking time. “Um, Joohyun?”

“Y-Yeah?”

“I didn’t know you’re… well-endowed.” Seungwan instantly regretted saying that. “Uh, I-I mean, s-sorry—“

Joohyun felt blood rushing to her cheeks. “GO AWAY!”

She’s lucky my shampoo bottle didn’t hit her!

 

“Where are we going?” Seungwan asks, starting up the car. Joohyun’s riding shot gun while Inha stayed at home.

“Some research.” Joohyun fastens her seatbelt. “Let’s see where Kim Chanwook moved to. Or just anything that would limit the scope of our search.”

Seungwan is surprisingly quiet. Joohyun noticed she keeps biting her lip or pursing her lips. Not that I really find it attractive because I do not. I mean, no way, her attitude is such a turn-off. I-It’s just very bothersome and gets my attention. But not like my romantic attention, just you know, my normal attention. My I-am-so-not-attracted attention. That’s all.

The girl driving suddenly bursts out laughing. Joohyun gasps in surprise. Did she read my mind or something?

“I’m… I’m sorry…” The laughing continues. “We’re supposed to… act like… nothing happened, right? Ah, my tummy hurts—“ You and I are gonna get very hurt if you don’t focus driving. “Every time I see you, I remember your face in the shower with like the bubbles in your hair and all that—oho wow, what a laugh.” She wipes the tears that formed in her eyes.

I thought she’s say she remembered my s. I almost want to thank her for saving me the embarrassment.

“Yeah, haha.” Joohyun monotonously replied, though inside she’s rejoicing she somehow made the girl laugh. Not how I imagined it to be but I’ll take it. Don’t judge. It’s a cute laugh.

“Eyes on the road, Son Seungwan.”

Seungwan cleared . Back to her blank face. “That’s what I was saying. You’re the stubborn one here, Joohyun.”

Said girl’s jaw dropped at the audacity. She just rolled her eyes. “J-Just drive, you.” She swears she saw the corner of the driver’s lip turn up before she looked out the window, she herself having a pink tint on her cheeks.

With their inquiry and further research they found a whole lot of Kims, many Chanwooks, but only two Kim Chanwooks have the same birthdate as Inha’s Chanwook, who also came from Daegu. One now lives in Jeju island, and the other is in Gangwon province.

It’s a triangle in the map. To potentially avoid paying for airfare, they decided that from Daegu, they’ll go to Gangwon first, then ride a plane to Jeju, then back to Daegu to “return” Joohyun.

 

Few days after, they left for Gangwon.

“Don’t worry, Gran.” Joohyun leans forward from the backseat. “I know someone from there, they’re in Wonju. He said he’s the only one at home so they have just enough room to accommodate us.”

“Oh, is that right, dear?” The girl nods enthusiastically and Seungwan, seeing it from the rearview mirror, just rolls her eyes. “See, Wan? Joohyun’s a great help to us.”

“We can afford any hotel there, Gran. We don’t need some dirty—“ Inha hit her in the head. “Ow.”

“I did not raise you like that, Seungwan. Apologize.”

“Sorry.”

“I didn’t hear you.” Joohyun singsongs.

“Gran, just look at this girl—“She shut up at the look her grandma is giving her. She cleared . “I’m sorry!”

“Oh, are you shouting at me?” Joohyun fakes offense.

Seungwan glares at her from the mirror. “BetterbethankfulGranishere.” Joohyun just smiled oh so sickeningly sweetly. She let out an exasperated sigh. “I am truly sorry for what I have said, Miss Bae Joohyun.”

“Now, that’s more like it.”

 

 

A car swerved to their lane so quickly without giving a signal. A little screech was heard, hinting there had been contact. Luckily enough, Seungwan stepped on the brake just at the right moment, or else they would’ve gotten into an accident. “Who the heck—“ She pressed on the horn loudly to express her aversion. To her surprise, the car stopped.

Seungwan stepped out of their car. “Wan, don’t get into any fights,” Inha reminded her.

“Hey, is it that hard to give a signal?” Seungwan says as she walked near the apologetic man. “Careful next time. You could get us into an accident.”

“Yes, yes, I-I’m sorry, I was really in a rush. Were there any casualties? I-I’ll pay.” He got closer to the car to check. “Joohyun?”

The girl’s eyes widened and said something muffled behind the door before opening it and giving the guy a bear hug. “Suho! Oh my gosh, I really missed you.”

“H-Hey,” Seungwan pried Joohyun away from him. “I’m not done talking to him yet. Look, he scratched my baby!”

“Really really sorry for that—“

“Well, you should be.”

“—This is why I was rushing! I mean, this is no excuse, but I knew you were coming and the rooms aren’t ready yet I was freaking out. I sincerely apologize. I’ll pay for the damages, don’t worry.”

She saw that Joohyun is so giddy to talk to him and so she just cut the conversation short.

Seungwan sat on the hood of the car as she watches the two talk. She narrows her eyes. “Is she always that touchy?”

“I think being affectionate is inherent to her.” Her window open, Inha replies. “She’s such a sweet girl. And very pretty, too. What do you think, dear?”

Seungwan thinks she’s beautiful, even from the very first moment she saw her, she hoped she was not the Joohyun who wrote to her grandma, kept her hopes up for something that might not be worth it. But she was Joohyun and Seungwan had already been too impulsive with her words and actions that maybe it was too late to get the girl to like her.

But Joohyun still takes her breath away with what she does, she is very determined and she has a firm hold of what she believes in but at the same time, open-minded and respectful of others’ opinions.

Seungwan also thinks she’s sweet and caring like Inha says, she takes care of her grandma when she’s occupied and her Gran finds her very endearing and engaging to talk to, could be attributed to their being ‘kindred spirits’.

She might not be able to say it but she’s thankful her Gran has someone like Joohyun now. She agrees with everything Inha said but…

“She’s… not affectionate with me, though.”

Inha chuckles. “Why do you think is that?”

Seungwan keeps silent because she knows the answer. “Do you want her to be affectionate with you?”

That caught her off guard. “H-Huh?” She laughs it off. “What are you saying, Gran?”

“You’re not saying no,” Her grandma teases. “And you’re shooting lasers over there.”

“It’s pointless. She probably already hates me.” She pursed her lips and threw the stone she was holding. “This is stupid.”

She might not agree with herself but maybe her subtle, tiny crush on Joohyun is growing.

“Hello!” Joohyun brightly greets them. “Sorry for the wait. Would it be okay if I ride with Suho to their house? We really have a lot of catching up to do.” She giggles.

“Of course, dear. You go ahead and take care.”

“Yeah, you should go, I don’t care, why would it not be okay?”

Inha and Seungwan answered simultaneously. Her grandmother glared at her discreetly. “I think what she wanted to say was ‘It’s fine, you should go.’”

Joohyun’s mood clearly dampened but she managed to let out a smile before walking away.

 

 

“So there are two rooms left but only one has a bed.” Suho told them.

“Oh, Gran, you and Seungwan take the one with the bed.”

“Uh, the room with the bed is only good for one, it’s quite a small room.”

“That’s fine, I can sleep on the floor,” said Seungwan.

“I don’t think you could do that, the floor space would be too narrow to sleep in.”

“Gran needs to sleep on a bed otherwise it won’t be good for her back.”

“Then that means you and I will share the other room, Seungwan.” Joohyun wasn’t even finished linking their arms when out of shock and reflex, Seungwan pulled her arm away.

“S-Sorry.” She sighed and got back out to get their bags.

 

 

 

“I just wanted her to at least ask if I’ll be fine over there, be worried even just a bit and then she talks like she doesn’t care at all. She’s too much sometimes.” Joohyun vents out to Inha that night.

“She really can be too much, I know, dear, I’m sorry.” The woman pats her head.

“Like why is she doing this to me? What did I do to her? I mean, is she stupid—sorry, Gran—but all this time I’m giving her room to show that she cares for me even just a little. Y-You told me she likes me but I don’t know anymore, Gran. ”

“You really got her, that’s why, she just doesn’t know how to show it,” Her fingers comb Joohyun’s hair and it comforts the girl. “My grandchild grew up in a household that lacked of love, or showing it, rather. Her parents drifted apart due to being too busy. Neither of them cheated, it was just merely the distance within those walls that went longer and longer. They didn’t divorce either as they did not want Seungwan to grow up in a broken family. They did not realize it was still broken however fine it seemed to be.”

She continues. “My son and his wife, they loved Seungwan and wanted to give her a good life. I’ve always told her that and she understood but it still didn’t erase the fact that she had no one look up to. I suppose it was also my fault, marrying a man I didn’t love completely. I respected him as a husband, yes, but as you already know, a part of me has always thought of someone else.”

“After all these years...” Joohyun said. How does one love like that?

Inha held her hand and looked into her eyes. “Joohyun, Seungwan likes you, trust me on this. She’s just not used to that feeling and her words just fail her sometimes. But you see, deep inside, she’s a very soft-hearted girl, she’ll come to her senses.”

That made Joohyun smile. “I really got her, Gran?”

“Of course, you got her!”

Joohyun beamed. “You know, I made her laugh the other day—“

They were disturbed when someone knocked on the door. Seungwan.

“I just, uh, wanted to check up on you, Gran. Why are you not sleeping yet?”

“Joohyun and I are just having a little chat.”

“Y-You should sleep now.” Seungwan cleared . “Joohyun.”

“Yeah?”

“I was… I was…” From her peripheral, Joohyun can see Inha smirking.

“You were what?” She asks.

“I-I was looking for you, it’s almost 11 and y-you’re still not in our room. I see you were just here... Um, good night.” She bit her lip before closing the door.

“Wait! I’

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter