you are a trap (i'd like to get into)

Within Hidden Shadows (We Face Each Other)
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

“I SAID THE GROTON FILES, JEON! NOT THE TAKARI ONES!”

Inhale, exhale. Good. “But you went to a meeting inJapan, and Takari sounds more Japanese, so I thought—”

“WELL, CLEARLY YOU THOUGHT WRONG!”

Cringing, Jeongguk brings the telephone receiver away from his ear, looking around the room to see if anyone’s watching him while doing so. Goodness gracious, none is within earshot—also thanks to his boss that Jeongguk got to have his own table in the same room as him and not having to share with everybody else like any other secretary in the company.

“I’m really sorry, Ta”—oops—“Mr. Kim, I’ll make sure to send the files via e-mail, or, I can send it by mail if that’s what you want. In that case, I have to know—”

There’s a very deep, tired-sounding sigh on the other line. Jeongguk almost shudders just by hearing it.

“Shut up, Jeon. You’re going to Japan this afternoon.”

“Pardon?”

“You’re to bring the Groton files to Japan this afternoon. I don’t wanna hear excuses. Just. Bring. Your. . Here. And the damn files.”

What? Jeongguk’s about to open his mouth to explainten reasons why he can’t do just that (not only it is hard to get a plane ticket to Japan in just a day, he also can’t leave his works unattended without doing some preparations beforehand—because, you know,deadlines), but there’s already a click on the telephone, a telltale sign that his boss already ends the call. Nice.

Time to ing rush.

*

To say that Jeongguk hates his boss would be wrong and an exaggeration, because he has to admit that the guy’s pretty cool. Jeongguk has been working for him for seven months and not even once did the guy make him reconsidering his job. Being a secretary can be pain in the , and Jeongguk really owes it to hiss boss that he gets to enjoy his position until now—doesn’t mean that Jeongguk doesn’t complain, he just doesn’t do it every single time. Just on some occasions. Like, right now, when he has to make his way in between crowds and people’s chatters, saying excuse me here and then and generally feel like a big ing when he accidentally hits a little girl with his backpack full of that damn Groton files. He can’t even say sorry because in this crucial situation his brain decides to forget the word in Japanese, and the little girl doesn’t look she knows some English, or Korean for that matter, because who knows if his brain’s not gonna forget the word in English too?

Honestly, Kim Taehyung.

It’s 5PM and Taehyung had said that the meeting starts at 7, so Jeongguk ‘better hurry the up’. It’s 5PM and yes, Jeongguk’s in Japan now, more accurately in an airport sweating because he can’t seem to find the exit gate, looking around the wide space and heaving a sigh when his eyes finally, finally, finds it.

Luckily the hotel isn’t far from the airport—Jeongguk mentally gives himself a mental pat and a small praise because surely it was him who did the room reservation. He gets off the taxi after spending three minutes pleading the driver to accept his Korean money (of course he forgets that Japan has different currency, of course).

After a lot of arguing with himself, Jeongguk decides he’ll use a room first before calling Taehyung to let him know that he’s here, since he’s very exhausted and he’s pretty sure it shows on his face. Also because he hears it is Very Important for a secretary to look their Best in front of their boss. No, definitely not because he wants to fall face first on the bed and sleep for like, fifteen minutes.

“I’d like to book a single room, please,” he says to the girl sitting behind the reception desk, adding a smile for good measure.

The girl smiles back. Good starter, Jeongguk tells himself, maybe he’ll get to enjoy this trip.

She’s typing on the computer for a while before looking up, “I’m sorry, Sir, I’m afraid there’s no room available at the moment.” She says, and Jeongguk can feel his smile fades. ing hell. This is all Kim Taehyung’s fault! Jeongguk gives his thanks and retreats, walking towards the sofa provided by the hotel. He begins searching for his phone and clicks on his boss’ contact after. Two rings and then Taehyung’s very familiar, deep voice comes.

“Arrived?”

“There’s no room left,” he says in place of greeting, albeit a little afraid that it comes out rude. “What should I do?”

Taehyung laughs, “How about going to my room first, Jeon? It’s 417. You sound hella pissed.”

“Well, I am.” Jeongguk replies absentmindedly, and regrets it the next second. “I mean, that’s not entirely wrong. Sorry.”

“Forgiven. I’m hanging up.”

Jeongguk waits until the line goes dead before grimacing. Damn, this is one the many reasons why he said Taehyung is pretty cool. He’s just annoying sometimes, and Jeongguk can be annoying too, and when the both of them are being annoying, usually it’s Taehyung who gives in first. Jeongguk can’t help but thinks that had he had another boss, he would’ve been fired already.

Anyway, thoughts aside, Jeongguk starts making his way to Taehyung’s room. The guy’s probably will ask for the Groton files and then ask him to get back to Seoul right after (Jeongguk’s going to make sure to shout at him if Taehyung did that).

Taehyung opens the door before Jeongguk has the chance to ring twice. He looks comfortable in white long-sleeves and grey sweatpants, Jeongguk observes silently, grimacing again.

“I’m thinking,” Taehyung’s saying while leaning on the door, blocking Jeongguk from getting in. “That we should just room together.”

It takes a minute for Jeongguk’s brain to process, for it is highly unlikely that a boss wants to room with his secretary, not to mention inconvenient too. Not that Jeongguk’s uncomfortable with the other’s existence, he’s just a little bit weirded out.

Although it’s highly unlikely too that a boss wants their secretary to call them just by their name, and Taehyung did just that.

“Ugh... why?”

Taehyung raises his eyebrows, “What do you mean, why? Because there’s no room left in this hotel? Or would you rather find another hotel?” he says rather casually, which makes Jeongguk frowns deeper.

Silence for a few minutes with Taehyung still raising his eyebrows and Jeongguk’s getting more and more uncomfortable as the seconds go by.

“So?” Taehyung asks again, probably tired from standing on the doorstep. He must’ve seen the hesitation in Jeongguk’s eyes before he continues, “Listen, Jeon, we are friends, right? Like, we are just gonna room together for a day. A day, Jeon. It doesn’t matter. But it’s entirely up to you, you could find another hotel if you want, I’m not gonna force you.”

“Well, I wouldn’t call us friends... but, okay, sure. Can I get in?”

*

Fifty minutes later, Jeongguk gets out from the bathroom; smelling nice and looking too formal in white shirt and slacks in comparison to Taehyung’s...sweatpants?

“Um, Tae, isn’t the meeting start at 7?” he asks carefully, eyebrows furrowing. “Why are you still in that pants?”

Taehyung looks up from his phone for a few seconds to answer, “Oh, right. The meeting got postponed to tomorrow morning.”

Son of a . Jeongguk’s this close to losing his —he’s already clutching his fist till it turns white—but he manages to ask, “And when did you know this?”

“Right after I got here,”

That means Taehyung knew this even before he realised that Jeongguk had given him the wrong files. That means what he said (or screamed) about losing the damn contract even before having the chance to negotiate to Jeongguk on the call earlier was a ing lie.

“So why didn’t you tell me?” he still sounds calm. Good.

“Eh.” Taehyung responds, and Jeongguk can see the beginning of laughter on the older’s face. “Let’s just say I like watching you panic too much.”  

Inhale, exhale. Jeongguk’s calm, collected, and definitely not wanting to snap the other’s neck right now. Instead, he mumbles, “I have to tell you that I hate you so much.”

Taehyung barks out a laugh, “Don’t worry, Jeongguk, sometimes I hate you so much too. The feeling’s totally mutual.”

“Good.” Jeongguk snaps as he turns back to where his backpack is sitting, planning on finding more comfortable outfits to change into and then ask Taehyung to order some food (probably the most expensive ones just to spite him).

Twenty minutes later finds Jeongguk in his most cozy state, snuggling on the sofa with the TV playing some Japanese movies and chewing on a slice of pizza (he was totally up and ready to purchase the Most Expensive Things in the hotel’s restaurant, but Taehyung had asked him if he wanted pizza and of course, of course Jeongguk wanted pizza). In contrary, Taehyung’s on the bed, scrolling through his iPad, actually working. Jeongguk glances at him every now and then, but never too long that Taehyung will realise, although the older seems extremely focused on whatever he’s studying it will surprise him if he noticed Jeongguk’s quite unsubtle staring.

There are a few thoughts running on Jeongguk’s mind at the moment: a) the Groton files must be very complicated for Taehyung’s eyebrows to start knitting together, eventhough Jeongguk had given it a quick examination two days ago before he printed them out and had no difficulties understanding them at all, b) the situation they’re in is quite weird, it’s been seven months since they know each other yet it’s Jeongguk’s first time seeing the other clad in something that isn’t a formal-w

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter