Earth

Freezing Flames

If Sewoon were to describe his high school, he would say that it is full of those stereotypical social cliques.

There are the hyper theater kids (or 'geeks') like Yoon Jisung or probably any kid that came from MMO middle school- which really had you wonder what that school fed their kids. They were practically the Mean Girls with their gossiping but not really the 'mean' part since the gossiping was completely harmless. Basically they were the most extroverted and interesting kids of the school.

There are the mysterious school rebels (or 'iljin' if you want to be more specific) like Kang Dongho, who was infamous for his strength and simply ditching the school whenever he wanted to. Everyone was intimidated by him and it seemed like the teacher stopped trying to hold him down on school property as he would just find a way around it. Every now and then, kids like Sangbin or Insoo would follow after him to who knows where.

There are the graceful dance kids like Hong Eunki or Zhu Jung Jung, who were so elegant and focused on their dance that they'd sometimes move like they were dancing instead of walking or just casually bring their leg up to support themselves on the wall while chatting with someone. Watching them was like watching a musical every day- and a very cliche one at that as there was some sort of tension between the two that were mentioned.

There are the cool and chic city kids like Choi Minki or more like him and his friends Hwang Minhyun and Kim Jonghyun from Pledis Academy, who's presence made you feel like you're a lot smaller and insignificant compared to them. Basically anyone was too intimidated to just walk up and talk to them casually with such a presence unless you were Hyunbin who seemed oddly close to them. (Don't even get him started on the fanboys that Minki has)

There are the arrogant jocks like Ong Seongwoo, who was handsome but a bit on the pretentious side. Obviously he wasn't a bully or anything like that, more-so he was a really prideful and confident kind of guy- yes it was funny from time to time with that kind of arrogance which was a pro, but that arrogance was also a bit of a con. Sewoon didn't really know, it seemed like everyone loved Seongwoo so the arrogance was probably seen as a con to him due to his quiet personality.

There are the bright popular kids like Lee Daehwi, Park Jihoon or Joo Haknyeon, where any of the kids mentioned has popularity that sky-rocketed from just a simple action or just some unknown action that led to their faces and names being heard or seen at least 2 times a day with two polar opposite contexts of either admiration or hate for their 'greediness'. They were also the "teacher's pets" in way with the faculty of the school always spoiling them with attention that seemed too excessive.

And then there are the quiet outcasts like himself, a.k.a. Jung Sewoon, who were too quiet and ignored by anyone because they were overshadowed by everyone else. They were extremely introverted so it was more common to see them either in a small group together or just doing a hobby to ignore their surroundings- the latter being a case where Sewoon would spend his time secluding himself from everyone else and play his guitar, trying to compose a song.

"Group 5 is Kang Dongho, Choi Minki, Lee Daehwi, and Jung Sewoon."

So if everyone is distinctly different and unique on his own, how did the group randomizer mess up this badly?

Out of habit, he sends a look over to his best friend, Gwanghyun, across the room, where they both shared the same wide-eyed expression of 'excuse me? Did I hear that right?' while the rest of the room bursted into murmured chattering, making the teacher have to raise her voice to try to get everyone to stop talking.

"No way, Kang Dongho, Choi Minki, Lee Daehwi, and Jung Sewoon together in a group?"

"Dang, never thought I'd see any of them together."

"Isn't Daehwi like super scared of Dongho though?"

"Oof, I wish them luck with dealing with Minki."

"Who's Sewoon?"

"Dude will they even get this project done without any casualities?"

"This is gonna be interesting..."

And now, here Sewoon was, awkwardly taking a glance to around the table to his current groupmates:

To his right, the rebel of the school, to his front, the cool and chic city boy, to his left, the popular kid, and himself, the quiet outcast.

Unlike all of the other groups, their's was the most quiet and jammed in awkward silence but Sewoon knew that the other students were low-key observing with amusement as to how the completely different boys belonging to completely different social cliques would work together as a group.

. . .

"... I'm not doing this." Dongho proclaimed, getting up from his seat before grabbing his bag and leaving the classroom. With his presence gone, Minki scoffed whereas Daehwi lets out a breath of relief. So now it was confirmed that it seemed like Sewoon was the only one who cared about working together to pass the class.

The new found discovery was only further proved when Daehwi's friends came over to chat with him while Minki physically ditched them in favor of heading over to where Minhyun and Jonghyun were.

This is going to go just "peachy"... so Sewoon thought as he passed a helpless glance to Gwanghyun, who sent back a pitying one.


"Well considering that this project counts as your final, isn't your grade gonna flunk really badly?" Jaehwan asked by the time that they reached lunch.

"Yeah," Sewoon sighs, not knowing as to what he should do as he sets his guitar aside glumly. The history class was already bad in the first place what with the class being a mix of students from different years of high school and the teacher never clarifying the due date so the fact that she made their 'final exam' a group project for some odd reason made it even worse. The group project would've been fine if they got to choose their partners but of course the teacher had to go randomise students into groups.

"Cheer up man, knowing you, you'll do fine," Gwanghyun pats Sewoon on the back but the latter can only let out another sigh, "I don't want to work on an entire project by myself though."

"Why don't you befriend them then?"

Sewoon and Gwanghyun blinked before looking up at Jaehwan like he just grew another head or antlers sprouted out of his head(s) or- you get the gist. Gwanghyun was the first to reply with, "'Befriend them'? You mean befriend the violent Dongho, the cold-hearted Minki, and the greedy Daehwi? No offense, but that sounds as good as walking up to a lion and hugging it with meat hanging off of your neck."

"G-Gwanghyun-ah... that's a bit much..." Sewoon stuttered, worried that they'd get attack by some sort of fan or admirer hidden in a bush nearby.

Jaehwan held his hands up in defense, "Okay, jeez, no need to attack your hyung with sarcasm. I'm just saying that I've been in a group project with stone Minhyun twice and he's actually a pretty decent guy once you're acquainted with him and Jonghyun literally has the heart of an angel. Come on Gwanghyun-ah, you've been in a group project with Minki before."

"I say 'cold-hearted' for the reason that he did his part of the project but didn't talk to anyone but Justin and some times Jung Jung," Gwanghyun pointed out.

"Well we're trying to make Sewoon-ah feel better about his situation," Jaehwan protested.

Before the conversation could go back and forth, Sewoon interrupted, "Guys, I get it. If I don't want to work on the project alone or fail the class, then I need to at least be acquainted with them to get the project done. Not necessarily good friends because I still need to be wary, but enough to at be on speaking-terms."

And you'd think that these guidelines are quite easy to follow right?

Welp, not really.