Home

Let's Fall in Love Again

By the time Sunggyu finished telling Woohyun the reason that he left, the latter's face was buried in his hands and crying.
He knew he hurt him when he left but seeing him like this, seeing him crying his heart out in front of him just tears his heart apart.

He hugged Woohyun and shushed him, gently rubbing circles on the younger's back to soothe him.
However, instead of calming down, Woohyun only cried even more. His choked breathing kills Sunggyu. It's just too much to handle.

"It's okay, baby. It's okay. It's all in the past now. I told you I'm staying and I intend to fulfill my promise. Ssshh. ." Sunggyu whispered to the other man in his arms.


"N-no... You .y-you sh-shouldn't be s-s-sorry. It's all m-my f-fault." Woohyun said while crying, his voice breaking when he utters a single word.

Sunggyu stayed silent and waited for Woohyun to calm down. A few minutes later, after all the crying, he finally managed to stop and be calm.

The older of the two excused himself to get a glass of water to prevent dehydration because Woohyun cried a whole lot and well, you know, prevention is better than cure right?

When he's fully calmed down and his breathing is even, Woohyun looked at Sunggyu and held his hand. Sunggyu was at a loss. 

"I'm sorry." Woohyun's voice started to break again.

"Sssh it's okay. It's not your fault. It was my choice. I was a coward for not fighting for us. I was too weak that I even succumbed to my father's threats. I could've done something...anything, just so I don't have to leave you. But I was a fool back then."

Woohyun shook his head repeatedly and held on to his hand tighter, desperate for Sunggyu to feel all his remorse.

"I should be the one to say sorry. Your father used me against you. He threatened you with my future and now I could finally understand that you were also torn apart by your decision. You weren't given much choice.

You know in the end, we'll both be hurt by the choices he presented to you but you ended up choosing the lesser of evil. You made your choice just so my future won't be doomed, effectively shutting our relationship.

But I'm really really sorry Sunggyu. I even doubted your love when the truth of the matter is you left because of your love for me. You were willing to sacrifice everything, even our relationship, just so I could have the bright future that we both dreamed of."

Sunggyu was moved to tears by the younger's confession. He cupped Woohyun's face with his free hand and caressed his cheek. He looked straight into his eye and then said,

"Listen. Even if I am to choose my life over yours, I'd rather you live. Because a world without you is a world without me too."

Woohyun felt his eyes moisten at the older's statement. He smiled his warm smile at him and hugged him tight.

"Woohyun-ah. I lo-"

His words were cut off by the loud banging on the door. They broke off the hug and stared at the door which is still banging.

"I'll go get it. Stay. "

Sunggyu smiled fondly at his Woohyun's commanding tone.

I won't leave, even if you push me away.

He watched as the younger scurried off towards the door and opened it, and the both of them got the biggest surprise in their lives.

Standing on the other side of the threshold with their faces cold and serious, are their parents.

Woohyun stood frozen at the unexpected sight, his mouth widely agape.

"What? No words of welcome?" Sunggyu's dad grunted which turned into a groan when his wife elbowed him on the sides.


Sunggyu's mom smiled warmly at him.
"Hello dear. Sorry for the unexpected visit. May we come in?"

As if I have any other choice. My parents raised me with good manners.

Speaking of which, his parents were really quiet, though he can feel his mom's stare every few seconds.

He turned to their direction and received the warmest smile from his mom, as if hiding some promise behind it.

He smiled a small smile in return and hugged his mother. Then, when he looked at his father's direction, he was surprised to see tears pooling in his father's eyes. He was looking at him with feelings of longing.

Although he wanted to hug him, Woohyun caught himself beforehand. He was still not sure if their relationship is okay. He needs confirmation before he acts all filial again to him.

He acknowledged his dad with a nod and moved to the side to let their parents inside. At this time, Sunggyu managed to stand up and come forward. He also hugged his Mother and totally ignored his father. He then went to Woohyun's side, as if he's afraid one of them will be dragged away from the other by their parents.

Woohyun noticed how anxious Sunggyu looked so he glanced at him and smiled with reassurance.

"Mom, what are you all doing here?" Woohyun asked his mom.

It was a rare sight to see both their parents in their apartment. Also, since he left home, he never really saw his dad again.

"Oh honey, it's not for me to talk. These big guys right here have something to say to the both of you. Right, Minah-ssi?"
Woohyun's mom turned to Sunggyu's mom and smiled mischievously at each other. On the other hand, their fathers visibly froze at what she said.

"We'll just prepare something for us all to eat, ok? Until then, you should have a sincere talk."

 

Sungkyung nodded and then the both of them went to the kitchen and started whipping up snacks.


The rest settled in the living room and the atmosphere was too awkward that nobody even bothered to break the silence engulfing them.

Woohyun had the initiative to break the silence with clearing his throat. 
"So... Uhm..." He said to fill in the silence.
"What are you doing here?" Sunggyu asked his father. His father heaved a sigh before looking at him in the eye and said in such a low voice it almost sound like a whisper,

"Let's talk in private first. Just me and you."

Sunggyu looked at Woohyun and the other gave him a nod of approval. He then moved to the couch on the other side of the living room, a few  decent meters away from the other pair enough for privacy.

"I won't come back." Sunggyu beat his dad to whatever he was about to say. He glared at him and once again said,

"I wasted three years time of being with Woohyun because of cowardice and foolishness. I won't let your threats affect me anymore. I will stay with Woohyun and if you try to stop me again, you better watch me squirm out of your grasp. I won't let you meddle in our relationship any more than you already have."

He glared at his father when all he gets in return for his speech was a heave of sigh. He waited for his father to speak, and when he did, his world was shook... But in a good way.

"That's exactly the reason why I'm here. I came to... I came to apologize"

His dad once again sighed and ran his fingers through his hair.
"It was really stupid of me to put out all those threats and use your weakness against you just so you can bend on my will. Please forgive your father for being an ignorant and homophobic jerk."


"That time when you came back home, I thought everything will be back to how it was before I found out about you and Woohyun. You were so good at hiding your relationship that it took me seven years to figure it all out.

That day, I realized I don't really know my son all that much. I was so focused on molding him onto who I want him to be that I forgot to ask what he really wanted to be. I set aside your feelings to gain the favor of the people around us, and I can never ever be proud of that. 

It was so stupid for me to value other people's opinions over my own son's pleas and feelings. It took me a long time to realize my fault and I hope you can forgive me for all that I have done wrong to you. 

Three years ago, when you came back home, I thought I had my son back but I was all wrong. You were just a vestige of who my son is. You were a walking puppet, and I was the cruel puppeteer that told you what to do.

I guess there came a time where you had enough of it and eventually left home. I know you wouldn't come back to Woohyun because you were a coward and you were afraid of what I'd do to him if I ever find out you came back to him."

At this point, his father was shedding tears while Sunggyu was at a loss for words at his father's sincerity.

"I just realized how much I miss you my son when you lived in the house but never acknowledged my presence. And when you do, it was always forced. It was my fault for turning you into an empty vessel, a human without a heart, a walking dead.  I am sorry and I hope you can forgive this old man.


I know it isn't easy to forgive me after everything that I've done. But I promise you, from now on I will try to be the best father for you. Do whatever makes you happy and if Woohyun is your kind of happy, then I give you blessing to pursue your happiness."

This time, Sunggyu was the one shedding tears and sobbing like a baby. This was what he wanted his father to say to him.

He became a crying mess from all the emotions that invaded his senses. His father, on the other hand, awkwardly wrapped his arms around him and like the baby that he is, he snuggled into his father's chest, accepting all the love and warmth he can get.

His father tapped him on the back a few times before he managed to gather his senses and calm down.

"Better?"


He nodded at his father and threw a small smile at him. His father smiled at him in return.
He opened his arms and wrapped it around his father. While in his father's embrace, he said,

"Thank you."
He felt his dad stiffen at what he said. He let out a quiet laugh then moved away from the hug and faced his father.

"Seriously though, thank you. Thank you for realizing your mistake and for admitting to it. Thank you for eating your pride and apologizing to me. Thank you because finally, you stopped putting too much value in the public's opinion. Thank you because finally you accepted who I am. And lastly, thank you for wanting to try to be a better father to me"

Sunggyu barely contained his laughter when he noticed how red his father's ears had become.

"You know you don't really have to beg for my forgiveness. No matter how at fault you are, I will still forgive you. Because if it weren't for you, i wouldn't be where i am today. I wouldn't be who I am."

He turned to other side of the room and watched the love of his life holding back his tears as he spoke with his father. He then turned back his attention to his own dad and then smiled at him sincerely.

"Thank you because if it weren't for you and mom, I wouldn't get to meet Nam Woohyun. I wouldn't have to meet the love of my life."

His father looked at him apologetically and said, "I was so stupid to not see how happy you were when you were with him. I'm sorry if I robbed three precious years from the two of you. I can't believe I stole my son's happiness away because of my selfishness."

Sunggyu tapped his father's should and threw a reassuring smile at him.

"You're already forgiven, dad. I can see your sincerity when you apologized and to me, that was the best payback that I can get. However, I don't think it ends here."

His father was taken aback at his last statement. He thought he was all forgiven so what does his son mean when he said it doesn't end here!?

"Relax, dad. I only wanted you to apologize to Woohyun. I'm sure you already had it in your mind though, right?"

"Oh, that. Yes, I intend to do that as well. Heol. I thought it was something else "

Sunggyu smiled at his dad when the elder grabbed his heart to show how nervous he was.

"So... Dad? Ready when you are. " He said and stood up, offered his hand to his dad and helped him get uo.

"Alright. Let's do this."
They then walked towards the other pair who was already smiling at each other, the awkward atmosphere that was there before had already dissipated.
His lover turned his head towards them and looked at his eyes, then he smiled.

Sunggyu thought, Oh what a time to be alive.
--------------------------------------
When Sunggyu and his dad moved to the other end of the living room, the atmosphere in their side grew even more awkward. So Woohyun took the first step through coughing once.

He successfully gained his father's attention who, a few moments ago, found the floor really fascinating.

"I'm sorry, dad."

His father was confused at first and when his words finally sank into his brain, he shook his head a couple of times.

"Why are you saying sorry? You haven't done anything wrong."

"No. I'm sorry for disappointing you. I know how much you wanted for me to marry off to a beautiful girl and have cute little grandkids in the future. I'm sorry I couldn't give it to you dad."

Woohyun felt the wave of disappointed lash unto him, disappointment at himself for breaking his father's simple dream.

"You know what? It doesn't really matter, Woohyun-ah. I was wrong for ever saying you're a disappointment. I could never be nore proud of you right now. You were brave enough to fight for what you want. You never sought for our approval because you know we are against it but you still continued fighting. You fought for your happiness and you were so brave. Something that I wasn't and never tried of being. 

It was cowardly and impulsive of me to have decided when I was  angry, at the spur of the moment. Disappointment at the possibility of me not having grandkids was such a petty reason for me to throw you out of the house. It was so petty and I thought you'd be coming back after a few days but alas, you never did.

It was so heartbreaking watching your mom secretly looking through the window to see if you've come back, because she was afraid I'd notice and get mad at her. I waited too, without her knowing. I waited for you to come back and I trusted you'd come back because you were such a baby. You never last a day without talking to your mom and even to me.

But you surprised me with your determination when in the span of three years, I never saw even a single strand of your hair nor a shadow.
But three years was too long and I'm done waiting. And I was really glad when opportunity knocked on my door and then here I am, talking to you and trying to gain your apology."

He laughed at his father's antics. He missed this. He missed his dad making jokes in the morning when they're having breakfast or when they're in the living room just sitting together.
His eyes welled up and he was really trying hard to stop the tears from flowing but his restraints immediately shattered when his dad hugged him tight. 

It was the first hug they ever shared since he left home. He missed the warmth and the feeling of being protected his father give off with that hug.

He smiled despite himself and muttered a sincere thanks to his father who laughed at him and said,

"Ya. Why are you stealing my line, you punk "
At that, the both of them laughed and Woohyun felt his heart being at rest for the first time in three years.

He saw movements on the corner of his eye and saw the love of his life walking towards him.

He smiled at him, a smile that was only reserved for Kim Sunggyu.

I am so blessed, Woohyun thought.

Sunggyu smiled to him in return, his eyes disappearing into a thin line. He placed his arm around his father's shoulder and announced,

"I think ny dad wants to talk to you." He told Woohyun and he saw how the younger paled at his words. He threw a look of worry and anxiety towards Sunggyu who in turn, held his hand and gave it a reassuring squeeze.
Sunggyu then left along with Woohyun's dad towards the kitchen to give both of then some privacy.

"Uhm, hello sir." Woohyun greeted awkwardly to which Sunggyu's dad laughed at.

He cast an apologetic look to Woohyun's confused one and then became all serious again.

"Look, kid. Err, Woohyun. I came here to make amends not only with my son but with you as well. I caused a ruckus in your neighborhood which caused you to be kicked out of your house. I also blackmailed my own son into leaving you. I called you names and it was really childish of me. I am sorry Woohyun. I know it wouldn't really matter all that much but I would like you to take care of my son from now on. He's in your hands now. Please make him the happiest man."

Woohyun stood aghast when he bowed at him 90 degrees. 
"Oh. Sir please stand up. It's fine. It's really fine now. " He gushed as he patted the older's shoulder so he can stand up straight once again. 

When he finally stood up, he offered him a genuine smile and said,
"Woohyun, you can stop calling me sir. It might be too early to let you call me Father so how about we settle on you calling me Soogeun-ssi?"

To say he was flustered was an understatement. It happened all too fast. One minute he was apologizing and the next he mentions about him calling the other Father. He blushed profusely which earned a chuckle from Soogeun.

"Yes si-, err Soogeun-ssi." 

"Then that's settled then. Let's go get some snacks. All this apologizing stuff made me hungry."

He laughed at his own statement but immediately stopped when a blushing Woohyun called his name.

"I have one last thing to say Soogeun-ssi." He said as he fiddled with his thumb, his eyes looking at his feet. 

"Oh? What is it Woohyunie?"
He blushed even more at the nickname but managed to raise his head abd stare at Soogeun's eye.

"Thank you for bringing Sunggyu into this world. Thank you for giving life to my happiness. Thank you, Soogeun-ssi"

Woohyun's words were dripping of sincerity that he smiled despite himself.

You really are each other's happiness, eh.

"You're welcome Woohyunie. Now if you nay, this old man needs to refill his tummy."

He laughed at Soogeun's joke. Who knew Sunggyu's father could be this funny?
-------------------
When they came to the kitchen, the rest have already taken a seat at the counter, enjoying small talks with each other.

When Sunggyu noticed the two came in the kitchen, he immediately smiled at Woohyun and motioned for him to come to his side.
Woohyun moved towards him but was beaten by Soogeun.

"Ya Dad, I called for Woohyun, not you." Sunggyu pouted at his dad 

"Shut up, young man. Your old man's hungry, just let him be for now"

Woohyun shrugged and smiled at him, mouthed 'It's okay' and then moved to where his mom sat at. His mom immediately wrapped him in an embrace which he gladly returned.

He stayed like that for a moment while their parents talked.

Wait, why are talking so casually?

Now that he thought of it, both their parents came at the same time in front of their door and now here they are talking so casually that one would believe they'd known ach other for a long time. And it seemed kike the same thought dawned on Sunggyu as well when he broke the ongoing conversation with a question.

"Hey I just remembered. All of you stood at the door when Woohyun opened it. Did you perhaps came together?"

It was a wild guess but who know, Sunggyu might be right.

"Yeah that." Soogeun rubbed his nape as his ears also turned red.
"I went into the Nam Residence and convinced them to come here together. But of course not before making oeace with ourselves."

It was only then that they noticed how their fathers were sporting little bruises on their cheek and eyebrows. 

"Did you guys fight?" Woohyun said. His father was not the physical type, so he never imagined his father engaging in fist fights.

His father turned red and said, "Well he was the reason why you left and never came back, after the ruckus he caused in front of our house. So we had a little confrontation. Luckily enough, you moms were there to smack some sense to us."

Their moms hi-fived and sported a smug grin which they threw at them. Well, now that's scary.

"Long story short, we had a talk and settled all our issues and here we are, talking like we've been friends for quite some time when in reality it was actually just a few hours ."
All of them laughed along Soogeun.
 This guy, who would've thought he could crack some jokes. Woohyun thought as he shook his head then glanced at his lover's face, who as he found out, was already staring at him.

He felt the love he has for Sunggyu bubbling up and it was overwhelming that he had to look at the other direction to keep himself calm.

"So, Dad when you said opportunity knocked on your door, you actually meant Soogeun-ssi?"

"Well yeah. He was the only one who knows where you are so I grabbed the chance."

They continued to have small talks while eating. From time to time, Woohyun and Sunggyu would glance around the table and be satisfied with how they looked so happy. They look like a family.


When all is said and done, the parents both bid them goodbye. They were about to close the door when Woohyun's mom said, "Take care of each other. Please be happy, the both of you. And Sunggyu, " he turned to the young man "Thank you for bringing our baby back."

She gave him one last hug before they went out and Woohyun shut the door 

They walked towards the living room and plopped on the couch, side by side.

They stayed silent for a moment, cherishing the memory of what transpired just a few hours ago. 
Everybody looked so happy, no sign of anything otherwise. 

Sunggyu heaved a sigh of relief which made Woohyun look at him.

"This is currently the happiest day. I've always wanted our parents to accept who we really are  and to see them getting along with each other and it all happened today."
He smiled sweetly.

"Do you ever have anything else to wish for?"

Woohyun asked with a contented smile.

"Huh?"

"Is there anything else that will make you happy aside from what happened earlier?"

Sunggyu doesn't need to think, he already has his answer ready.

"Actually, there is one."

"What is it?"

Woohyun smiled with full of charms which melted Sunggyu's heart. He went closer to Woohyun and whispered while staring at him,


"Let's fall in love again."

The younger grinned so wide he's afraid his face might split.

"Your wish is my command."

He then leaned in and captured the other's lips into his. They shared a passionate kiss, one that could hopefully tell the other of how they missed each other.

Woohyun was the one to break off the kiss. He pressed his forehead on Sunggyu's and wrapped his arms around his neck.

"Welcome back."

"Hmm?" Sunggyu didn't catch what Woohyun said because he was all too distracted by the red plump lips in front of him. Woohyun noticed his distraction and gave him a peck on the lips before he caged Sunggyu's face with his hands.


"Welcome home."

Sunggyu smiled as they shared yet another passionate kiss. 


Home sweet home.

 


FIN.

 

Thank you to everyone who gave this story a piece of their time, especially to the people who subscribed. And also to those who commented, you guys always make me happy. I hope this story made you all happy as well. 

Til next time. Saranghamnida~ ❤

Angelie signing off.