1/1

Departure or Arrival; I'm Always Here

The announcement for their flight rings through the air and makes not only Lu Han, but everyone else panic. Due to some unexpected (well, not really, because honestly they had expected for the fans to go crazy) circumstances, they’re a bit late and they need to run through the whole airport, alongside with their guards in order to make it to the flight.

Of course, they have to stop by the customs at first but Lu Han is in such a hurry that he doesn’t notice the young man who is going through Chanyeol’s bag and he doesn’t hear how the man greets him as Lu Han just hurries past him, after their manager and leader.
He doesn’t think about the customs at all, not until they’re done promoting in China and back in South Korea, going through identical custom-gates like the last time. This time Lu Han however, does notice the young man who once again, goes through Chanyeol’s bag but now the young man doesn’t notice Lu Han or greet them. And Lu Han doesn’t really pay attention this time either.


***


The following weeks are filled with dance and vocal practice, as well as fan-meetings and interviews. Their eleven-member band, Exo, has made a breakthrough with their newest single Growl, and ever since it was released, they have been considerably busier than before. They travel between China and South Korea a lot too and Lu Han starts to notice that same young guard more as they always pass by him.

It isn’t until they get stuck in the airport that Lu Han hears his voice for the first time.


***


Their flight gets canceled due to a bad weather but their manager manages to get a new one for the next morning - only couple hours to go and they’ll be heading to China once again. They’re lead to a private room where they’ll be safe from the fans and finally, they all can just take a break.

It has been a hectic day for them; first they had dance practice and right after that they had to hurry and pack their things. They didn’t really even get the chance to eat - at least Lu Han managed to take a shower, otherwise he would be disgustingly sweaty and smelly. Now that they’re stuck at the airport and have nothing to do, they can all just take deep breaths in and eat and sleep.

Lu Han finds himself sprawled out in one of the couches, Yifan at the other end. Sehun and Jongin have fallen asleep on the floor, the maknae’s head resting on Jongin’s chest. The group’s leader, Joonmyun is talking with Jongdae and Yixing quietly while Kyungsoo is playing with his phone and Baekhyun, Zitao and Chanyeol are eating. They’re expecting to get few hours of free time and the manager already told them to spend it however they feel like.

So, they’re most likely just going to laze around.

But suddenly there’s a knock on the door and it opens just a second later, revealing their manager, alongside with a young man Lu Han distantly recognizes. Though, this is the first time the young Chinese idol sees the man; like really sees, without the hat that belongs to his uniform, revealing all his facial features.

The young man has dark brown hair and eyes a little bit lighter brown than Lu Han’s own, maybe a little cat-like. His skin is pale and looks pretty smooth, no makeup just the man himself. He seems well-build and the uniform he is wearing fits him perfectly. But the man looks young, too young to be a guard at the airport and Lu Han wonders how he has ended up here.

“Guys, this is Kim Minseok, one of the guards who work at the customs. You might’ve met him before”, the manager says casually, motioning everyone to look at Minseok, who waves at them with a small, friendly smile. “He is going to be guarding this room, just outside the door, okay? And don’t be fooled by his appearance, he can take care of you.”

The manager doesn’t really give them any space to protests as he leaves, his phone back on his ear, like usually. Kim Minseok greets the idol group politely before excusing himself and disappearing outside of the room.

This is the first time Lu Han has actually heard Minseok’s voice and he thinks that it’s actually quite nice.


***


The fourth time Lu Han meets Kim Minseok face-to-face is when they come back from China, a week later. The young guard is waiting by the customs they will need to go through before being let into the country. And this time, it isn’t Chanyeol’s bag that is being looked through by Minseok, but Lu Han’s.

The Chinese idol is waiting for Minseok to be done, not really paying attention once again until all of a suddenly a quiet voice cuts through his wandering mind and draws Lu Han’s attention.

“Your phone is ringing, sir”, Minseok repeats when Lu Han turns to give him a confused look. The guard is holding out the Chinese’s phone that is indeed ringing but Lu Han knows that he’s not supposed to take it back just yet. Minseok seems to know that too, as he gives Lu Han a small, knowing smile.

“You can answer it, I can wait. It seems like an important call”, the young guard repeats and Lu Han thankfully takes his phone, retreating back a bit in order to talk in peace. And while he is at it, Minseok finishes going through the rest of his stuff, only waiting for Lu Han to pick up all of it.

“Thanks about that”, Lu Han says when he has finished his call and comes to pick up his bag. Minseok answers him with one of his small smiles that Lu Han has actually already gotten used to. And for the first time in forever, Lu Han says goodbyes before leaving. (And maybe the pretty brown eyes of Kim Minseok don’t leave his mind until they reach the dorm.)


***


Lu Han is no longer a stranger when it comes to airports and fans. He and the other members are also used to it so they get through the screaming fans and reporters pretty easily, reaching the familiar custom-gates sooner than they thought.

This time Minseok is not there and Lu Han is a bit sad because he would’ve liked to say hello.
But he gets his chance when he meets the young guard by the room Exo is being lead to.

“Wait here”, the manager orders them. “The flight is a bit late, you have three hours of spare time. Minseok will be watching over you again.” And once again, the manager leaves after that with few other staff-members, the phone glued over his right ear.

Minseok opens the door for them, smiling again and slightly bowing his head as the first members walk past. Lu Han stops by the door, just to greet Minseok and for a second there, the guard looks surprised.

But then he answers with his signature smile. “Hello to you too, sir.”

About an hour later, Lu Han gets bored and even though Joonmyun warns him, he decides to step out of the room. At first he doesn’t notice Minseok who is standing on the other side of the door, staring confusedly at Lu Han.

“May I help you, sir?” the young guard asks after a moment of silence. Lu Han closes the door after him, leaning on it. There aren’t people passing by; the hallway is completely silent and the Chinese guesses that their manager had somehow managed to find a really good room for them.

“I’m just bored, that’s all”, Lu Han answers Minseok and the guard nods, smiling once again. “But may I ask a question from you?” the Chinese then adds and Minseok nods once more.

“What is it like for you to guard our room?”

The guard lets out an amused snort after hearing Lu Han’s question. “What is it like? Standing here all day long?” Minseok chuckles and Lu Han finds that sound strangely endearing. “Boring is probably the closest you can get to the truth. But I get money from it so why not? It’s an easy job.”

Lu Han nods slowly, not noticing the teasing glimmer in Minseok’s eyes. “I see.”

The guard laughs once more. “It’s different from what I usually do, so I suppose this is a nice change. But I can’t be doing this too much or my legs will get stuck on the floor."

“Shall we go for a walk then?” Lu Han suggests out of the blue, not really getting where it came himself. They both fall silent, Minseok too surprised and Lu Han a bit embarrassed to speak up.

“I-I’m sorry”, the Chinese finally sputters, already preparing to head back to the room. “I shouldn’t have suggested something like that, it of course isn’t possible…”

Minseok waves it off, giving a reassuring smile to Lu Han. “Ah, it’s okay”, the other says casually, his familiar small smile playing on his lips. “You just surprised me, that’s all. No other idol has ever suggested something like that - not so casually at least. But you’re right, it is not exactly possible. You have some crazy fans and I’d like to stay alive for a bit longer too.”

At the end of is sentence, Minseok smiles a bit wider and now Lu Han smiles genuinely too.

“Maybe some other time”, he says and Minseok nods.

“Maybe.”


***


They stay in China for a week and when they finally land back on South Korea’s land, Lu Han is actually excited to meet Minseok again. The other members are all grumpy and tired but the young Chinese idol is smiling brightly, excitedly waiting to get his chance to talk with Minseok.

The brown haired guard is exactly where Lu Han last saw him standing, waiting for the Exo members to reach the custom-gates. They greet each other politely, Minseok leading Lu Han to a line where he starts to look through the idol’s bag.

“How did you end up working here?” Lu Han asks from the guard, who stops for a moment to give Lu Han a confused look before continuing on.

“That’s a surprising question from you, sir”, Minseok answers calmly, just like always. “It’s not a great story, I have to admit. I just happened to have a relative who works in the airport and he took me in when I finished studying. I studied to become a teacher but in the end, I didn’t find that job so interesting so I ended up here.”

The brunette gives Lu Han a smile, offering the Chinese’s bag back. “Nothing special, like you see. But have a nice day, sir.”

Lu Han blinks his eyes, a bit dumbfounded by Minseok decision to abandon a teacher’s job. He doesn’t say anything about it though, just takes his stuff back and waves at Minseok as he leaves.

The guard keeps on smiling at him until Lu Han can no longer see him - but Minseok’s smile is now tattooed deep in Lu Han’s mind so he is not worried about forgetting it.

He has come to a conclusion that a smile like Minseok’s is something he doesn’t want to forget, not ever.


***


They keep on meeting and meeting, and little by little, they also start to talk a bit more. Minseok now calls him just Lu Han and the Chinese idol even learned that the young guard is actually older than him. He was really surprised by this but now that it has been some time, Lu Han is already used to it.

These days, every time they travel, meeting Minseok is what Lu Han looks forward to the most. Of course, meeting his fans is also important but they aren’t like the young guard at the customs.
Minseok has become like a pillar to Lu Han - the Chinese idol can talk with him the way he doesn’t talk with anyone else he knows and Minseok will listen, answer him, won’t judge him. Talking with Minseok is a great way to relieve stress and seeing the brunette guard makes a smile bloom on Lu Han’s face.

“What are you thinking of?” Sehun asks from him, a curious look on his face. They’re on a plane once again, ready to land in Korea and there are butterflies in Lu Han’s stomach. He gets to see Minseok again and he is more excited than he was about getting to see his parents, even though it has only been couple of days since they last met.

“Nothing important”, Lu Han answers his friend who gives him a suspicious look.

“Yeah right, I don’t believe you. No one smiles like that when it’s nothing important”, the brat says but Lu Han just rolls his eyes, ignoring him.

When they land he basically flies to the familiar customs.

And Minseok is there, once again, his gaze right away meeting Lu Han’s own. They greet each other, informal, and that is just to tell how close they have gotten in these past few months.

“Got any new stories to tell this time?” Minseok asks as he starts to go through Lu Han’s bag.
It has become a habit for Lu Han to tell Minseok stories about accidents that happen on stage, fan-meetings and other things he sees outside of South Korea. And Minseok always listen with a genuinely interested look in his eyes.

“Not really”, Lu Han sighs, staring at Minseok’s small, dainty fingers as they move around his bag before reaching out to give it back to its owner. Their hands touch slightly and Lu Han is a bit surprised by how cold Minseok’s hands feel against his own and it makes him wonder if the other is cold. The airport is really well air-conditioned so it might actually get cold in there.

So, as he takes back his bag, he starts to go through it himself looking for some handwarmers. Minseok stares at him, waiting for Lu Han to either leave or say something and he is totally surprised when the Chinese idol gives him few packets of handwarmers.

“Wha-? Why?” the young guard asks, holding the handwarmers in his hands in confusion.

“Your hands felt cold”, Lu Han explains, offering a small smile to the other. “So, I thought you might be cold. You can’t get sick, Minseok - who would I have listening my stories if you’re not here?”

A soft smile appears on the other’s face after hearing Lu Han’s words and the guard slips the handwarmers into his pocket. “Thank you”, he says, brown eyes glimmering happily and Lu Han feels his cheeks heat up.

There’s a new, fluttering feeling inside of his stomach and heart, and Lu Han has no idea what it is but it feels nice. And special because he has only ever felt it with Minseok a no one else.

“Well, see you later”, Lu Han says, throwing his bag over his shoulder and then he starts to walk away, after his friends and other staff members. Minseok waves at him once again and Lu Han knows he can trust for the other to be there when he returns.


***


Minseok isn’t there when Lu Han comes to the airport the next time. There’s someone else; a woman, who is not close to being Minseok. She is noisy and talks a lot and not so composed in front of famous idols. When Lu Han asks her where Minseok is, she just tells that the brunette had gotten sick - so the handwarmers didn’t help in the end.

Lu Han goes into the plane all grumpy and annoyed. Without getting to meet Minseok, he has had no way of relieving some of his stress and there’s a dark look on his face. The Chinese idol tries to think of Minseok’s smile and smile too, but nothing really helps.

“What’s up with you?” Yifan asks, sitting down next to Lu Han.

“Nothing”, Lu Han growls out, turning to look at the window and he can basically feel Yifan rolling his eyes at him.

“I noted that the brunette guard who usually checks your bag wasn’t there today”, the taller Chinese comments after a moment of silence. “You usually seem so happy meeting him… is that it? You’re disappointed because he wasn’t there today?” Lu Han lets out a snort, not wanting to admit that yes, that is the exact reason he is being a grumpy-.

Yifan chuckles lightly. “Hah ha, I see. So, that’s it”, he says, humming understandingly. “Well, from what I’ve seen, he is a really nice person so I can understand why you wanted to meet him instead of that woman. She was low-key fangirling over you; how unprofessional.”

Lu Han can agree to everything Yifan said - Minseok really is a nice person, nicer than a lot of others out there and that lady at the customs really did seem quite star struck by Exo’s presence.

The young Chinese idol just hopes that Minseok will be there when they come back from China after four days.


***


His wishes come true when they return; Minseok is once again waiting for him by the customs. Lu Han can’t help but hurry to the other, too excited to care about the curious eyes around him. (And he swears that Sehun and Yifan both shake their heads behind his back.)

“Minseok!” Lu Han greets the other happily and Minseok answers him with a soft smile and a quiet voice. Too quiet. It makes the Chinese frown slightly. “Are you still sick?” he asks worriedly.

Minseok, who looks a bit paler than usually, just shakes his head. “It’s nothing I can’t take, Lu Han. Now, should we get this over with so you can move forward. You’re always in such a hurry that I can hardly keep up.” The brunette starts going through Lu Han’s bag again, slower than usually and Lu Han is sure he sees the other’s hand shake slightly.

“You’re not healed yet, are you?” he quietly points out, more to himself than the other.

Minseok looks up at him in confusion. “Did you say something?” he asks but Lu Han just shakes his head.

“Get well soon”, the Chinese idol tells Minseok, and he makes sure to touch the other’s hand when he reaches for his bag. He even lets his hand stay on top of Minseok’s for a moment and for his surprise, Minseok doesn’t even push it away.

Then Joonmyun suddenly lets out a loud cough, already ready to head out and it’s Lu Han’s cue to leave too. He detaches his hand and Minseok flinches away, giving Lu Han an apologizing smile.

“Thanks, Lu Han. And have a nice day”, the brunette says, bowing his head a bit before waving the Chinese off once again.

The unsettling feeling inside of Lu Han is bigger than ever before and he feels bad leaving Minseok behind - he probably should’ve forced the other home. He is sure Minseok is still sick and he hopes that the other didn’t come to work just to please him. Then again, how would Minseok know when Lu Han was supposed to come back?
The other seems always to be waiting for him when Lu Han comes to him but it could be just intuition. Maybe Minseok is some kind of psychic.

“You’re frowning”, Jongdae tells him when they’re finally safely sitting in the van that will take them back to their dorms. “Is it because of that guard, Minseok?”

Chanyeol raises his gaze from his phone at the mention of Minseok’s name. “Minseok? What about him?” the tall Korean asks confusedly.

“Nothing”, Lu Han says, turning his gaze away from the curious eyes of the other five members who are in the same van as he. Thanks to Joonmyun, Sehun wasn’t there to make fun of him. But thanks to Jongdae, the Chinese had to listen Chanyeol’s and Baekhyun’s stupid joking.

“I think he looked a bit sick”, Jongdae answers Chanyeol. “And Lu Han here is probably worried about him. You must’ve seen how fond this idiot has gotten of Minseok, right?”

“Ah yeah, I have”, Chanyeol nods understandingly. “Everyone has. But Minseok is a really likeable person - I like him too. As a friend, that is. He always listened to my complains while checking my bag and never even once complained about me being noisy. I appreciate that. And he’s one of those guys who don’t start going crazy when seeing us so it’s a nice change. I would like to change a word with him some time, but Lu Han here is always talking to him so how can I?”

Chanyeol sends the other a meaningful look Lu Han totally ignores.

“Just don’t get too fond of him”, Yixing warns Lu Han from his seat next to the driver. “It won’t be good if the media finds out. Not only yours, but Minseok’s life could be turned into a big hell.”

Lu Han lowers his gaze, knowing fully well that Yixing is right. But he can’t imagine ignoring Minseok anymore and he doesn’t even want to. He knows that he should try and that he will have to do before the manager starts to complain.

And it wouldn’t do any harm either, right? Minseok would continue his normal life, no catastrophes ruining it and the same for Lu Han - but it still hurts knowing that being away from Minseok will give him heartache that the other really didn’t know he could feel.


***


From then on, Lu Han starts to use another guard at the customs.

The first few times are the hardest because he has to face Minseok’s confused and disappointed look but after he has ignored the other about three times, the brunette no longer waits for him.

It kind of hurts Lu Han to see how quickly Minseok gets over their friendship but he can also understand it. He gave no explanation to the other after all and Minseok probably hates him for that.

Well, since he no longer gets the chance to relief stress through Minseok and his heart keeps on aching so painfully, Lu Han also starts to be grumpier and controlling his expression becomes harder. The Chinese idol finds himself smiling a lot less than usually and even some of his fans starts to point it out.

But the winter is closing and so is their next comeback, so Lu Han really has no time to dwell about it. He ignores Minseok the best he can and because they have a lot of activities in South Korea currently, they aren’t even traveling to China that much. So, he doesn’t even see Minseok like he used to before.

It makes him realizes that he felt a lot better knowing that Minseok was still there, even if they didn’t talk to each other any more and now that he has no idea how the other is doing, his mood drops even more.

“Seriously Lu Han, you’ve been acting so weird for the past month”, Yixing complains once day when they’re at the recording studio and Lu Han is not getting anything done. The song they’re supposed to sing is called Miracles in December and Yixing even though not participating in the actual song, is there to cheer Lu Han up.

Or trying to. He isn’t really doing a good job, as you could see.

“Can you tell me what is it? Did someone say something bad to you? Send you a hate-letter? Called you girly?” Lu Han gives Yixing a bored and annoyed look at that. The other Chinese lets out a long sigh. “We’re not going to get anything done unless you start working with us. C’mon, if you’re as heartbroken as you look, this song should fit you perfectly.”

Yixing is kind of correct when it comes to that. Miracles in December kind of fits Lu Han situation at the same time it doesn’t fit it at all.


***


Lu Han is forced to face Minseok when they get stuck at the airport again and the manager assigns Minseok to guard their room’s door again. The brunette greets them like always before stepping out and out he stays - well, until Jongdae calls him inside and drags the guard into a conversation Minseok obviously doesn’t want to have.

“Do you like our music?” Baekhyun excitedly asks from the brunette guard and Lu Han who is sitting across the room tries his best not to look interested (even though he is trying to listen every word leaving Minseok’s mouth; god, he has missed that soft voice).

“Well, Growl is a really big hit”, Minseok answers politely and Baekhyun beams. “But other than that, I don’t really listen to your music. Of course, Miracles in December has been playing a lot on the radio and I kind of like it. It’s a beautiful song.” And at the end of his sentence, Minseok smiles and it’s so painfully familiar Lu Han has to bite his lip in order to not say anything stupid.

“I can sing some for you, if you’d like”, Jongdae suggests, wiggling his eyebrows and Minseok lets out a laugh.

“No need for that, just save your voice till later”, the guard says, already standing up and heading back towards the door. “You guys should probably try and rest all you can, so I’m going to leave you alone. But if you need anything, I’ll be right outside of the door.”

Then the guard leaves and Lu Han is left longing after him.

I need you, he thinks, pursing his lips slightly and he finds himself staring at the door for the whole time they’re in that room.

Just before they leave, Lu Han says that he needs to use the bathroom and Minseok is send there with him, since it’s quite far away and the manager wants to be sure that no fans will suddenly attack from behind the corner.

The air between the two of them is awkward and neither speaks, not until they reach the bathroom and Minseok says that he’s going to wait outside for Lu Han. His voice is still soft and genuinely kind, but it has lost that special warmth it used to have when he talked to Lu Han.

Lu Han stays inside the bathroom so long that Minseok has to knock on the door and ask if he’s okay.

“Yeah, I’m alr-” the Chinese idol stops mid-sentence, realizing that he actually isn’t all that okay. “Actually no, I’m not okay.”

Minseok comes in, a worried look laced over his pretty face. “What’s wrong?” he asks.

Lu Han is sitting on top of the sink, legs crossed and a confused and sad look on his face. Minseok raises a questioning brow at him and after a silent moment, walks closer. “Lu Han?” he calls out when the Chinese does nothing to explain his situation.

Suddenly Lu Han realizes how close Minseok is, how close the other has dared to come despite how Lu Han has acted towards him. And all because he is worried about the Chinese idol.
He does it from bare instinct; grabs Minseok by the collar and yanks the other forward, making the smaller male collide into his chest. Lu Han hears Minseok’s breath hitch and the other sends him a confused and hurt look when he looks up into Lu Han’s eyes.

The Chinese idol and the ordinary guard stare into each other’s eyes, completely silent, breathless and then slowly, Lu Han starts to lean in. He doesn’t know what pushes him to do it but it just feels right - to at least try, even though in the back of his mind, Lu Han knows that it’s wrong. That no one will accept it.

But Minseok doesn’t push him away and when their lips touch, Lu Han thinks that he has finally found the place where he belongs.

And that is right besides Minseok.


***


Their first kiss was chaste, done in hurry and right after it, Minseok had dragged Lu Han back to the rest of Exo. They didn’t talk about the kiss but Lu Han was pleasantly surprised when Minseok told him to have a good journey and come safely back home. Something the other hadn’t done in two months or so.

And that makes Lu Han really happy and giddy. He is smiling brightly as they step into the plane and his mood change is soon noticed by s and even some staff members send him confused looks.

“What made you so happy all of a suddenly?” Sehun asks from him but Lu Han just shakes his head.

The other knows that it would be useless to even try to explain anything of it to Sehun; people like Lu Han aren‘t really accepted in Asia and the Chinese gets it - but hey, heart wants what it wants and Lu Han‘s heart is set on Minseok.

“Nothing important”, he ends up answering once again and this time Sehun doesn’t even pry, just goes silent for the whole flight.

Lu Han sleeps nearly throughout the whole time they’re in air. And he keeps on dreaming of Minseok’s pretty lips, his pretty eyes and his warm voice. He can’t forget how right the other’s lips had felt against his own and Lu Han hopes to feel them again soon.

The thought of seeing Minseok is probably the only thing that keeps him going.


***


Things took a drastic change after the kiss they shared. Suddenly Lu Han and Minseok are talking again and this time they also share a lot more skinship than before. Subtle touches there and there, no one will notice. Quick kisses in the airport restrooms, reassuring whispers against each other’s ears.

Lu Han promises not to allow any one find out about them. He won’t allow people to destroy Minseok’s life, because his fans are surely capable of it. And he promises to take care of them both - he promises not to ever leave Minseok hanging.

Minseok promises to keep their secret as well. The brunette officer doesn’t promise things like Lu Han, nothing about keeping the other out of trouble, no loving words whispered into Lu Han’s ears, not really. But Minseok does promise something that makes Lu Han expect each of his flights, makes him look forward to traveling, eases his homesickness.

Minseok promises to always be there, whether it’s departure or arrival and Lu Han trusts into that promise.

And Lu Han promises to also always come back and now he also has a real reason for that. After all, he knows that Minseok will always be waiting for him and honestly, Lu Han is always waiting for him too.


***


They never actually thought that they could keep their relationship completely hidden from other the other Exo members. Lu Han’s closest friends start to notice how the other is always on his phone, how he disappears for hours when they’re at the airport, how close Lu Han and Minseok can stand without looking bothered and how easy it is for them to share more than just casual skinship.

It was Yixing who first finds out and that is totally Lu Han’s fault.

The other Chinese idol had left to visit Minseok while being at the airport and Yixing had followed him, half curious and half already knowing what he was going to see. Lu Han practically lead Yixing to him and Minseok and the raven haired Chinese caught the two of them red-handed; hugging each other too tightly for it to mean nothing.

But Yixing was surprisingly understanding. He didn’t judge them like Lu Han thought; instead, Yixing just warned them but wished them good luck. And the other Chinese idol still stands behind them, covers up their mistakes and even lies for them. Lu Han is glad he has the other there.

The second ones to find out were Baekhyun and Jongdae, who stole Lu Han’s phone and read his messages with Minseok. To their luck, these two idiots didn’t do anything drastic like tell the manager or someone else who could leak it - instead, Baekhyun and Jongdae just decided to prank Minseok by sending messages that Lu Han would never send, like never.

The Chinese idol was not surprised when he found out that Minseok hadn’t fallen for it. And he was also really proud about it.

Baekhyun and Jongdae said they are fine with Lu Han’s and Minseok’s relationship. They even said that they can understand it and that the two make a cute couple and that you could actually make a story about them - an idol who fell in love with a commoner, like Jongdae said. Everyone would love to read it.

After those two, the rest of Exo kind of found out a bit by bit and all of them took it pretty well. Of course, Yifan and Sehun didn’t understand it at first but they got used to it and now days, they all cover up Lu Han’s mistakes and Minseok has even become close to them.

Lu Han guesses that Exo thinks Minseok as someone peculiar. The brunette guard has never seemed star-struck with them, he is always composed and his behavior towards Exo is the same as others. Like they’d just be normal people he happens to guard from time to time. Like they wouldn’t be some world-famous idols.

Lu Han likes that and he knows that the others like it too. It gives them a chance to take a break from an idol’s life and with Minseok, they don’t have to pull any kind of act.
They all appreciate that and Lu Han knows that it must be one of the reasons they understand Lu Han’s relationship with Minseok. It is kind of hard to find people in South Korea and China who don’t recognize them as idols but as normal people these days.

Lu Han is glad he has found a one.


***


It’s around the Overdose-era that things starts to fall apart. Exo announces its first solo-concert tour and suddenly, Yifan also announces his departure. And the Exo-M leader does it by just leaving, leaving them all hanging, without answers.

The manager doesn’t say much about it and only couple weeks after Yifan’s departure, Lu Han learns about the lawsuit between said man and SM-entertainment.

He and the rest of Exo are left confused, angry and feeling betrayed. Exo-M members of course take it harder than the others, but it hits them all. It makes them all understand that nothing lasts forever and they are meant to break up sooner or later and Yifan had just been the first one to leave. It wakes them up to the reality.

Yifan’s departure makes a huge uproar - fans complain, magazines are filled about it, reporters are hiding behind every corner but amongst all that, Exo’s first solo-concert tour sells out. Despite Yifan’s departure, despite all the trouble that comes with it, Exo is more popular than ever before.

Overdose-era is filled with awards, sadness and drama and Lu Han needs Minseok more than ever before. They start meeting outside of work more than once a week and Minseok is always there for the Chinese, listens to him patiently and lets Lu Han cry against his shoulder, gives him comfort no other can.

“I don’t know how long I can keep this up”, Lu Han says one day while they’re at Minseok’s apartment.

“Keep what up?” Minseok asks, slight fear in his voice. Is Lu Han implying to their relationship? That after all this months spend together it was never worth it?

“I’m growing tired of this… being part of SM-entertainment that is”, the Chinese explains, playing with Minseok’s small fingers. “Now that Yifan has left… I’ve started to understand why. I supposed I have opened my eyes. SME never took care of us like Exo-K. Why? Is it because we’re Chinese? Or because we aren’t good enough?”

Minseok hums quietly, planting a small kiss on top of Lu Han‘s head. “You’ve tried your best.”

“We all have tried. Yifan tried, I did, Yixing, Tao and Jongdae still do. And I can understand why Yifan left, I really do. He must’ve grown tired of it as well - seeing that Exo-M is never going to gain that popularity, the same fame as Exo-K. He must’ve seen that people are never going to appreciate us like they appreciate Exo-K.

“I’m not angry at them, I’m proud because they’ve achieved so much in such a small amount of time. But I guess that I’m bitter knowing that my group will never achieve that no matter how hard we work for it.” Lu Han goes silent, waiting for Minseok to reply.

The brunette takes in a deep breath and runs a hand through Lu Han’s hair. “I can’t deny any of that, Lu Han. I’m sure you’re telling the truth and I understand it too… I understand it quite well and I’m sure so do your fans. They must’ve noticed it as well and Yifan will be fine. He will make it big even without you guys and some day, people will appreciate him just because he is Wu Yifan and not Kris of Exo-M. Some day, he will be a star, an idol of his own scale, I’m sure of it.

“And you too Lu Han. Don’t get stuck in the same place for too long - take you chances and learn to fly”, Minseok says and chuckles lightly at his stupid metaphor. “I’m not telling you to do what Yifan did but if it feels right to you, if you think that it will make your life better… then I’m not stopping you.”

“Really?” Lu Han asks, turning his gaze to Minseok’s and the brunette’s genuinely warm, brown eyes look at him softly.

“Really.”


***


The manager is waiting for Lu Han at the dorms when he comes back that night. From the way s are looking at him, Lu Han already guesses what it’s going to be about but he asks anyway:

“What’s going on?”

The manager lets out a sigh, telling Lu Han to follow him to a empty room where they can talk privately. The older male tells Lu Han to sit down and after a moment of hesitation, the Chinese does, nervously biting his lips. He already knows what is coming and he isn’t prepared for it.

“I’ve noticed it, you know? I’ve noticed how close you have gotten to Minseok but at first I just thought that he has become your friend”, the manager starts, disappointment laced deep in his voice - it cuts Lu Han like a knife and makes the idol grimace weakly. “I understand that Minseok is different from many others; even I found him intriguing at first. But your relationship with him… it’s not right, Lu Han and you must know it.”

Lu Han knows it, oh he knows. But he still can’t help but asks; “Why? Because we’re both guys?”

His manager denies that but his eyes tell the truth. “No, not only because of that. There are many other reasons too, but that is the main-point, I suppose. You do understand that you are an idol and under SM-entertainment. And as long as our contract holds, you’re not really allowed to date; especially a guy. What do you think the media will talk about you when they find out? And what about Minseok?”

Lu Han is silent under his manager’s accusing eyes.

“They will destroy him, Lu Han. The media is cruel; some fans could try to hurt Minseok, even try to kill him. It’d be a lot more than a normal catastrophe and you know that after Yifan’s departure, we cannot deal with it. Not when it hasn’t even been that long since he left”, the manager continues and with each word, the sympathy in his tone fades away.

“You need to cut your ties to him, Lu Han. I’m sorry but this isn’t going to work. We can’t keep it hidden much longer; someone will always find out and that is not only the end of you and Minseok but also the end of Exo. You’ll drop from Asia’s number one artist straight to the bottom. So please, do a favor to all of us and end your relationship with Minseok until it’s too late.”

Lu Han nods understandingly and his manager leaves with a silent ‘goodnight’. The Chinese idol doesn’t move anywhere for some time, just sitting on that chair, eyes staring into nothing.

He can’t imagine breaking up with Minseok and here he is, forced to do it.

Why did I ever decide to become an idol?

Now Lu Han thinks that he can understand Yifan even more.


***


Minseok is surprisingly understanding and even though he cries (and breaks Lu Han’s heart), he says that he saw it coming. There was never a way for them to hide it completely.

They’re at the airport when they break up. The manager has made it possible by somehow managing to make their flight late and he then gives Lu Han and Minseok about an hour to talk and make things straight between them.

The first fifteen minutes go past with each of them crying and hugging each other inside of locked doors, hidden from prying eyes.

The next half an hour they talk about their possible future after Lu Han is no longer tied to SM-entertainment. Lu Han talks about leaving Exo and Minseok talks about leaving the airport.

“I don’t think this is the right place for me anymore”, the brunette guard says, sitting there next to Lu Han, the taller having his arm wrapped around Minseok’s shoulders. “Not when it means that I’m not allowed to meet you again.”

Lu Han hums quietly and the realization comes to him a bit slower. “Are you saying that you’re leaving this place? That even if we’re not allowed to speak anymore, we won’t be able to even see each other?”

Minseok gives Lu Han an apologizing look. “It’s better that way, I suppose. You’ll be able to move on easier without me here”, the brunette answers him, his smile heartbroken. “But I’ll keep an eye at you, okay? I’ll make sure to follow Exo and if you ever leave the band, I’ll make sure to follow your doings as well.”

“So, you won’t forget me?” Lu Han asks, his voice barely above a whisper.

“You’re not easy to forget, Lu Han”, is Minseok’s answer.

Then there’s a knock on the door and the manager peeks in. “We’re leaving, Lu Han. Say your goodbyes.” And then the door closes again. Oh, how Lu Han would love to punch his manager on the face but he knows that it’s not really his fault. The fault is probably Lu Han’s own.

The broken pair stand up and share a one last hug; a one last kiss that last nearly a minute. It’s the manager’s angry knock that makes them pull apart.

When they head out, Minseok stops to stand by the doorway, telling Lu Han to continue without him.

“Take care of yourself, Lu Han. Don’t let the life of an idol drag you down”, the brunette says, waving at the Chinese with tearful eyes and the manager looks away, guilty.

“You too, take care”, Lu Han answers, giving Minseok a one last wave. “And until next time.” I love you.

Minseok’s smile grows a bit wider, a bit more genuine, a bit more sadder. “Yes, until next time.” I love you too.

When Lu Han steps into the plane, he deletes Minseok’s contacts, watches all the messages, pictures, everything he had of the brunette disappear right through his fingers. He then puts his headphones in, putting the music too loud and tries to forget, tries not to cry his eyes out.

Lu Han thinks he has made his decision - he thinks he will have to follow behind his leader’s footsteps.


***


Lu Han has the decency to wait until Exo’s tour is over. After that, he announces his departure, files a lawsuit against SM-entertainment and leaves.

He does it differently than Yifan. He tells about it to his fellow members weeks before actually making it happen and even though many are bitter, they understand. Ever since Lu Han broke up with Minseok, his mental and physical state had dropped below zero.

s understood what is best for Lu Han and they let him go easier than Yifan.  

And maybe they too, start slowly understand why the Exo-M leader left in the first place.

It’s a sunny morning when Lu Han leaves Exo’s dorms for the last time, never intending to come back. For his surprise, his fellow members are all awake at that time, sending him away with smiles and reassuring, comforting words about the future.
They promise to stay in touch but will they really? Lu Han doesn’t know. Yifan hasn’t really contacted them after leaving but that’s understandable. The lawsuit between him and SME has yet to be finished and the tall Chinese still stays far away from South Korea.

But you can still make promises and hope that you will be able to also keep them.

When Lu Han arrives to the airport, it’s of course already filled with other people. He sees no familiar faces, no one that particularly catches his eyes. He sees no Kim Minseok.

Minseok had disappear right after they break up and Lu Han hasn’t heard of him for few months. No other guard seems to know about it either, they just say that Minseok quit some day and never came back. Lu Han still thinks about the other a lot and when he is feeling especially down, he wonders if Minseok thinks about him too.

And when he is feeling better, Lu Han still thinks of Minseok. But those times, Lu Han just wishes that Minseok is doing well and that he is okay; wherever he is.

That day when Lu Han leaves South Korea, he knows that there is no going back and that there is no one waiting for him to come back, not really. But there are people waiting back in Beijing and Lu Han is ready to go home.

(But there is no real home without Minseok and deep inside, Lu Han knows that.)


***


It’s year 2017 and Lu Han is comfortably living in China, making a name for himself as an actor and singer. He is famous on his own scale and he loves his fans, appreciates their support more than ever.

The Chinese singer hasn’t really been in touch with Exo but he has kept an eye on them. He has send them happy birthday-wishes and all that, but nothing special. They know that they can’t do it - they can’t really speak to each other, not until SM-entertainment lets Exo out of its tight hold.

Lu Han follows Exo the best he can and whenever he hears that they have once again sold out their concerts, earned new awards, broken records, etc, Lu Han is proud and happy for them like a freaking mother.

He also follows Yifan and Tao, who had also left Exo after the release of Call Me Baby and to them Lu Han talks more frequently. Yifan is out of China a lot so it’s quite hard to reach him sometimes but Tao again… well, Lu Han has met him couple of times and they text whenever they can.

Just while ago Lu Han tweeted the other happy birthday and hell, it seemed to make fans quite happy. Lu Han guesses that they’re happy knowing that ex-Exo members are still in touch - that their friendship still holds on.

“We are landing soon”, his manager suddenly calls out and Lu Han removes his headphones and looks up; yep, they really are soon back on China’s land and it makes a warm feeling bloom inside of his chest.

Things have been considerably easier for the Chinese singer now that he is living in Beijing again and Lu Han doesn’t regret leaving.

However, he does regret not keeping Minseok’s contacts.

He still remembers the brunette and he remembers him well; Lu Han still misses Minseok, still thinks of him, still hopes and waits. Lu Han has no idea where Minseok is but he trusts that the other is still keeping a track of him even though Minseok has surely moved on a long time ago.

He begs to differ; wishes that Minseok would still be waiting for him too, out somewhere. And Lu Han hopes that when the day comes for him to search for the other, he really hopes that he won’t be disappointed.

Maybe Minseok is waiting for him somewhere, has been waiting for all these days, months, years.

 

***

 

The Chinese singer stands up on the second it’s allowed and follows his manager out of the plane and back on familiar land. He has walked through the airport so many times that it has become a routine to him and he doesn’t care about the looks he gets, he doesn’t even spare another glance at all those people.

But his attention is drawn to a guard by the customs when they finally reach those gates. It’s a new guard surely, Lu Han hasn’t seen him before but even from far away, he faintly recognizes that firmly standing body, those curves, those dainty fingers and when the guard turns to look towards him, Lu Han also recognizes that small, soft smile, those pretty brown eyes and that all too familiar glimmer in them.

He walks up to the guard slowly, taking his time and observing the other a bit more. And the whole time, the brunette guard keeps on smiling at him, eyes glimmering like two, beautiful stars.

When Lu Han finally stops and drops his bag in front of the man, his heart that is about to burst calms down and a familiar, warm feeling spreads into his body.

He knows what it is; what that feeling means, and he knows who is the one to wake him up.

Lu Han knows this person standing in front of him and he knows that finally, finally he doesn’t need to wait anymore.

“Hello, Lu Han”, the brunette guard greets him politely (yet there is the feeling of home in his voice), just like they would’ve met a day ago and not years. Just like they’d never been apart in the first place.

And suddenly it does feel like only a second has passed since they last saw each other.

There‘s a big smile on Lu Han‘s face as he answers.

“Hello, Minseok.”

(And maybe now, Lu Han has truly found his way back home.)