night not as lonely as hoped

Lonely Night

Baekhyun is killing it. Or so he probably likes to think, because really, his face is so red it looks like it’s about to combust.

 

He’s currently rapping his lungs out, body twisting and turning in offbeat dance moves a few feet in front of Taeyeon, who’s fallen with a sigh back on the couch, legs and throat hurting from all the jumping and singing. She’s pretty sure that this moment can take place in her list of most-unreal-situations-ever-witnessed. She doesn’t have time to think about ranks, not when Baekhyun is screeching a note so high sound barely comes out, she’s too busy trying not to wheeze from all the laughter and catch her breath back. Damn him and his sudden “let’s have a dance-off”.

 

He moves around the karaoke room, socked feet gliding smoothly on the wooden floor, and manages to launch himself next to her just as the song finishes, landing half on top of her legs while wiggling his hands in the air in a flourishing motion. She laughs at him, pushing his feet away from her lap only to have him turn around and rest his head there. “Koong, you’re all sweaty!” she shrieks, hands under his nape to lift him up a bit, “get off. Get off, get off, get off!”

 

Baekhyun laughs, freshly dyed black hair falling a bit in front of his eyes before he pushes them back. “I recon it never bothered you before,” he mutters, sitting up and reaching for one of the few slices left of the pizza they ordered almost a hour ago. They’re lucky it’s still somewhat warm. He brings it up to her lips, then to his after she takes a bite. “I thought you liked it when I’m all messy and sweaty,” he quips, grinning when Taeyeon rolls her eyes at the obvious innuendo. “Maybe if I lose the shirt I’d be more appealing to you?”

 

“Keep it on, you fiend,” Taeyeon scoffs and steals what’s left of the slice from his hand, munching it down in a couple of seconds. All that dancing and singing’s made her hungry, not to mention it’s been a couple of hours since they finished the rice cakes he bought her. “Eat it all, you need energy these days,” she gestures to what’s left of their meal and twists her back to grab a water bottle that fell somewhere near the side of the couch.

 

“So do you,” he calls back, but when she turns he’s already wolfing down another piece. Taeyeon is always more than glad to see him eat, even with his comeback near, because all that dieting he did had made her worry quite a bit. A bit meaning “for the love of god Baekhyun you’re about to collapse it’s okay if you don’t go to the gym today now will you please eat?” or some reiteration of that. “Besides, I’m fine. We’re just starting to prepare for the recordings,” he says, reaching out to wipe away a speck of tomato sauce that fell on her chin, “and I’m eating properly now. With you and my members keeping me in check, I’ll be stronger than Iron Man himself.”

 

He flexes his arms to prove his point and Taeyeon laughs, pushing him out of balance with a gentle kick. “Iron Man has an armour though,” she reminds him, giggling when he grabs her foot and tickles it. “Inside he’s just a genius, billionaire, playboy, philanthropist.”

 

“And that’s a bad thing?” he chuckles as he drags her legs over his and trails his fingers over the smooth skin of her calves. “I mean who wouldn’t be all of those things? I know I’d enjoy it.”

 

It takes him about half a second to realize what he’s just said. Taeyeon’s pretty sure the glare she’s throwing at him helps. “Aside from the playboy thing. I only love you, my dearest,” Baekhyun chirps with the brightest smile he can muster. He leans forward, batting his eyes in a way that reminds Taeyeon of Ginger. Luckily she’s become immune to his puppy dog act. “And I don’t need an armour because you see right through me. And, uh...” he pauses, then brings his gaze back on her with an embarrassed grin, “That’s all I have I’m afraid.”

 

“I think all the cheese on the pizza’s gotten to your brain,” Taeyeon says, fingertips pressed to his forehead to push him back a little. “Which movie did you take that from?”

 

“I don’t know. Point is, did it work?”

 

“The sap? No.” Taeyeon laughs at his pout and gathers his face in her hands, placing a few, quick kisses on his lips in apology. “I appreciate the effort though.”

 

He smiles agianst her lips, drawing back with an excited grin and wiggling the microphone in front of her face. "Your turn. Then we can do best out of three."

 

Taeyeon shakes her head, "Koong, our time is almost up. And, frankly, I can't keep up with your energy levels."

 

”Want to rest a bit? I'll just sing somehting relaxing if you want."

 

"If your idea of relaxing is another Busta Rhymes song then we have a problem," she jibes, pinching his nose when he sticks his tongue out at her. "How about a duet? Then we can take my car around for a bit and then go back to my dorm." A bat of eyelashes and he sits a little straighter. "Maybe finish our call from the other day?"

 

“Oh. Oh,”  he looks at her like the biggest realization of humanity's history just hit him in the face. The goofy grin is the same as always, though. “You know, we can go if you want. Like now. Right now.”

 

Taeyeon laughs, standing up ad throwing the microphone at him. He grabs it swiftly and she grins. “Mister, you owe me a song. Now get that off of that sofa...," she tells him, winking playfully. He smiles back and moves to stand beside her. "And sing with me."

 

They pick a romantic, slow and unbelievably cheesy duet that has them shooting heart eyes to each other the whole time. It only gets worse when Baekhyun drags her in an impromptu slow dance and puts down his microphone, singing softly in her ear instead. It’s stupid, sickly sweet and cliché, but Taeyeon can’t bring herself to care. Not when he’s holding her this close and she can pretend they’re two normal people in love. Not when her heart is beating so fast it almost hurts.

 

They can’t shake off dopey grins once they’re done, and in a gesture of improvised chivalry Baekhyn picks up all their trash while Taeyeon gathers her bag and jacket. She’s a little behind him when he opens the door, and, busy with scrolling through messages on her phone, doesn’t notice he’s stuck on the threshold until she almost barrels into him.

 

She doesn’t have the time to ask him if he’s okay because, in the matter of a millisecond, he’s swung the door closed in her face. The only thing between hardwood and a broken nose are her hands, raised just in time to absorb the impact.   “Baekhyun, what the actual-“

 

“Oh my god, are you EXO’s Baekhyun?!”

 

Taeyeon freezes. She instinctively plasters herself on the wall, holding her breath and keeping an ear out. Two different voices are shooting rapid fire questions at Baekhyun, who has yet to open his mouth.

 

“A-ah, yes, hello.” She can practically hear the fear and apprehension in his voice. There’s a thump against the door. He must be leaning on it, judging from how close he sounds. “Sorry if I look so shocked but I wasn’t expecting to see fans here. “

 

He gives a nervous laugh that barely passes for half-hearted, but the girls don’t seem to notice, too busy squealing over the idol. They probably feel like they’re about to die. Taeyeon can relate, but for completely different reasons. Don’t freak out. Whatever you do, Baekhyun, please don’t freak out.

 

“Oppa, why are your ears so red? Are you not feeling well? Are your members here?” One of the two voices suddenly feels closer, but another thump on the wooden door tells her Baekhyun is probably plastered over it in an attempt to keep them from coming any closer.  

 

“I drank a bit, but don’t worry, I’m fine,” he says, voice a bit surer now. “And my members are enjoying their free time. I came here for that as well.”

 

“Oh, you came here alone?”

 

“Yes.”

 

There’s a moment of silence, and, for a foolish instant Taeyeon thinks that they’re in the clear, that the girls will leave Baekhyun alone after he gives them autographs and, maybe, a picture.

 

She and her boyfriend could never be so lucky.

 

“If you’re alone, why do you have so much stuff with you? Did you eat this much by yourself?”

 

"Yeah, the lady at the entrance told us to pick the only room for two left because the other was already occupied."

 

Taeyeon sinks on the floor, head in her hands. We’re done for. It’s been a good career until it lasted, I’m sorry Sones, no 10th anniversary album with me on it. Exo-Ls forgive me...

 

“Y-yeah, uhh...” she can hear the pure, unadulterated panic oozing from Baekhyun for a second, but then, miraculously, he composes himself. “M-my brother. I’m here with him. He’s in town to meet a distant cousin tomorrow.” Taeyeon rises back to her feet and gives a quick “thank you” to her boyfried's lightning inventive.

 

“You have a cousin?” one of the two, audibly confused, repeats. Taeyeon shakes with every word. “You never talked about a cousin.”

 

“It never seemed necessary.” Baekhyun’s about to snap, Taeyeon can feel it, but fortunately the girls seem to have quieted down a little. “Now, I’m sorry, but I really have to go. My-my brother travelled a lot today and I’m tired too.”

 

“Oppa, wait, can we get an autograph first?”

 

“Sure, but I don’t have anything to sign with.”

 

“We’ll go grab it, wait here!”

 

Three seconds pass and the door swings open, with such force it makes the walls shake. Baekhyun doesn’t even come inside only extends an arm and grabs her, dragging her out forcefully. When she looks into his face, pale and terrified, she’s pretty sure hers doesn’t look much different.

 

He doesn’t give her time to speak. “Run.”

 

“But Baek-”

 

“Don’t “Baek” me,” he presses on, giving her a gentle push to make her move. He raises the hood of her jacket over her head and lets her hands go, moving in the direction where, presumably, the girls went. “You don’t have time. Meet you at your car, as fast as I can.”

 

Taeyeon nods, hurrying down the building with as much discretion she can muster. In the car, with her head pressed against the wheel, she takes deep breaths, trying to convince herself that nobody could suspect anything. That her and Baekhyun won’t be in the news tomorrow and maybe, just maybe, they haven't screwed up all they've worked for, both as individuals and as a couple, forever.

 

She’s so wrapped up in her own thoughts that she almost screams when her boyfriend quickly opens the car door and sits beside her, taking a breath only when they’re closed inside. They remain in silence for a couple of seconds, then Taeyeon reaches out for his hand. His fingers wrap around hers immediately, with such strength and care it makes her feel like she’s going to choke up. Whether from fear or relief, she doesn’t know.

 

“Hey...”

 

Baekhyun tilts his head to look at her, the corners of his lips turning up to give her a weary but sincere smile. “Hey.”

 

“How did it go?”

 

“Eh, pretty good. No photos thankfully, I made up something about not wearing make-up. They were nice actually, they didn’t insist.” He pauses, playing with her fingers quietly for about a minute. Taeyeon lets him, soaking up in his presence and the silence. “If it hadn’t been so terrifying, I’d say it’s been one of the best random fan encounters I’ve ever had.”

 

“You’re going to be on the news tomorrow?” That’s what really worries her, that he’s going to be bashed for nothing by angry citizens, maybe even endangering his comeback.

 

“Hopefully not, I asked them to keep the secret.” He considers, thumb drawing soothing circles on her skin. “”My manager doesn’t know, I wasn’t supposed to be here”, that stuff. Even if something comes out, at least you’ll be left out of it.”   

 

She sighs, holding his hand in hers more tightly. “What a night,” Taeyeon mutters, before a nervous chuckle makes its way on its own out of her lips. “Don’t judge me, but I almost peed in my pants right there.”

 

“Same here,” Baekhyuh laughs back. “So, what now? Do you still want to drive around for a bit?” he asks, the latter half of the sentence slurred around a yawn. “I don’t know about you but I’m worn out.”

 

Taeyeon smiles at him, reaching with her free hand the car keys in her pocket. “Dorm and cuddling ‘till we fall asleep?”

 

Baekhyun grins back and brings her hand to his mouth to leave a peck on it. “Lead the way, m’lady.”

 

They aren’t disturbed until the next morning, when a constant buzz makes its way in the silence permeating Taeyeon’s room. She’s the first to hear it and gives up trying to ignore it after a few minutes. She reaches out for the phone, who turns out to be Baekhyun’s, and immediately pales in front of the countless texts piled on the screen. Her boyfriend, bless him, is oblivious to all of this, head buried in her hair and arm holding her close against his chest.

 

It takes a few prods from Taeyeon before he wakes, and even then he simply looks at the phone in front of him without doing anything. Then, his brain seems to connect the dots and, with a displeased groan he begins to scroll through the notifications. Taeyeon instead decides to go back to her cocoon under the covers, burying her face in Baekhyun’s chest who, in turn, starts to caress her hair with his free hand. She presses her nose in his shirt, taking in the delicate scent she loves, the same that coats many of the clothes she stole from him. No matter how much she wears them, it never seems to leave.

 

She’s on the verge of sleep when Baekhyun sighs loudly and turns to lay his phone on her bedside table. He remains to contemplate the ceiling for a second, then looks back at her. “Okay, so, good news is that nobody suspects a thing,” he begins, attempting a careless grin that wouldn’t convince anybody. “Bad news is, I made the news.”

 

Taeyeon winces, lifting herself up until she’s leaning against the headboard. “The articles are out, aren’t they?”

 

“Yup, but they’re all harmless stuff.” Baekhyun chuckles then, grabbing his phone and going to check his messages. “And my brother sent me a text that says “I didn’t know I was in Seoul but I’ll take it”.”

 

That gets a laugh out of her. “He’ll probably hate me.” She stretches out her arms, then her neck until she hears a soft “pop”. “We really collapsed yesterday. I don’t remember touching the bed.”

 

“Terror and adrenaline will do that to you,” he considers, then a sudden frown takes over his face. “Though we didn’t even get to cuddle like you promised...”

 

“Oh, shut up,” she laughs, sliding down under the covers again. She holds herself up on one elbow, hovering over him and tracing her fingertips down his face. “You up for some American style breakfast? I think Fany got the groceries this time around.”

 

Baekhyun makes an indecent moan, purely theatrical, and gazes at her with a practiced wanton look that’d fit well on stage. “Mmh, I want you to clog my arteries...”

 

Taeyeon snorts and gives him a playful shove. “Gross.”

 

He laughs back and gently pushes himself forward, against her until he ends up half laying on her, chin resting on her chest as her fingertips continue their journey along his features. He keeps his eyes locked with hers, breathing slowly and deeply. It’s as if he could fall back asleep any second now, but Taeyeon knows well that sombre look. It’s the one he gets everytime they have a date and won’t be able to see each other for a while. The one he gets when he doesn’t want to let go.

 

“I know,” she interrupts him just as he opens his mouth. Baekhyun freezes while her fingertips, busy contouring the outline of his ears, slide down to his cheeks, pulling him so they’re level-eyed. “I love you, too.”

 

Baekhyun gives her that megawatt smile of his and leans down, kissing her softly. When he starts to draw back she follows him, twining her arms around his neck to keep him still, and pushes her body as close to his as possible. His answer is a bad concealed shiver and he falls into her, holding her close until their breaths mingle and Taeyeon quivers back against him. His hands have barely made their way to her legs when a loud growl reverberates through through the room, making him burst into laughter, so hard he has to lay on his back to catch his breath. Taeyeon crosses her arms, disgruntled, but the blush coating her cheeks is likely not helping her case.

 

“Your stomach sure knows how to ruin the mood,” he wheezes. “We better get something to eat.”

 

“I’m not even that hungry. The universe must be pissed at me,” she whines, causing another heap of laughs from him. She half-heartedly slaps him to make him stop. “Was it that hilarious?”

 

“Yes, very.” He chuckles a bit more before his expressions turns serious. He shuffles on the mattress, getting close enough to land a hand on her waist. “By the way, I’ve got about a hour left. Eggs and bacon are quick to make. And if you’re not hungry...” Baekhyun mutters, giving her his best smile. “Got any plans to pass the time?”

 

Taeyeon smirks, in the mood for some fun. “We have board games if you want. How about a round of chess?”

 

“Taengoo...”. She fights back a snort at the pure frustration in his tone.

 

“No? Charades then? Forewarning: I’m a boss, especially with movies.”

 

Baekhyun hiffs like a kid, locking his arms around her body and pulling until she ends up on top of him, her grin fighting his pout. “Not funny.”

 

“Yes, very,” she echoes him, gently smoothing his bed-head. Her hands slide down, slowly, from his chest to his arms until she intertwines their fingers. “I’m sure we’ll find something to do.”

 

Taeyeon leans over him, dragging their locked hands over his head. She starts to trace an imprecise line of kisses from his forehead down to his chin. The second she lets go of his hands, they immediately move to bunch the loose nightshirt she’s wearing around her hips. It makes Taeyeon smile even harder against his neck. When she lifts her head, his eyes are hooded. “Did you get any ideas yet?”

 

A blink and Taeyeon is sinking in the mattress, shirt flying across the room and laughter spilling from her lips.

 

“A couple.”