CHAPTER FIVE

One Missed Call

Jinwoo's condominium unit reminded Jisoo how much he was a bachelor, even if he was already in his thirties. Then again, handling his own company required him to be practically married to his work, leaving no room for romantic relationships to develop.

Monochromatic colors of black and white provided the image of his masculinity. Even his furniture, unlike theirs, weren't family-friendly. Sharp edges, glass tables, porcelain vases, and expensive ornaments decorated the place. Everything just screamed sleek and modern.

Jisoo dropped her duffel bag at his immaculately clean countertop, her brother following behind.

"If you need anything, tell me, okay?" Jinwoo said. "Just don't forget the passcode. Seriously, you're a forgetful one."

"Thank you so much for this, oppa."

"This is nothing," her brother replied as he took a glass and pressed it against the refrigerator's water dispenser. As he brought the glass up to his lips, he sent her a look. "Did you tell him already?"

"I still don't want to talk to him."

"You want me to?"

"I'm... I think that's not a good idea either."

Jinwoo nodded, understanding what she meant.

"Oppa, I'll cook dinner later. What time are you coming home?"

"Seven. Until then, rest. You look like you need it the most."

"Okay. Be careful on your way out," Jisoo mumbled as she lightly squeezed her brother's arm. "Love you."

After hearing him say a silent, "love you too," she entered the living room and sat cross-legged on the black, linen sofa. She was reaching out for the remote when Jinwoo sat at an adjacent armchair, loosely tugging his dark blue tie.

"Why are you still here? I thought you have a meeting to attend to?"

Her brother pursed his lips and leaned back, putting an arm over the headrest. "Honestly, I don't want to leave you alone. After well... everything."

Guilt washed over her. Her brother meant well, but it came off as if she was a burden. Ruefully, she nudged her brother's thigh with her foot.

"Go."

Jinwoo tipped his head to the side, his eyes unreadable. After a moment, he sighed.

"That meeting I was talking about, it's with your husband. I don't know if I can talk to him, after what you told me."

"There's a reason why I told you about that," she argued. "And it's not because I want you to get involved. This is between the two of us, and it'll only be between the two of us."

He shrugged. "I promised him, right? If he hurt my sister, he's going to regret it."

"That's what Jaewon oppa said."

"Works for the both of us."

"I can't believe I'm saying this," Jisoo rasped. "This is a marital problem, not fifth grade."

"If I were any other brother, he'd be beaten to a pulp already."

His sister frowned. "It's not going to be solved with brute force. In fact, you're only making it worse." She scooted close to the edge to pat her brother's knee. "I wish you'd marry already to understand."

Jinwoo blinked and just stared at her. Unnerved, she asked, "What?"

"You're defending him," he stated a matter-of-factly.

"What are you trying to say?"

"You've been arguing with me for the last five minutes. If you're still angry, you'd be cursing him in front of me. Have you forgiven him already, Jisoo?"

"Forgiven? Goodness, no. No. That's the last thing I want to do right now. What makes you think like that?"

"I don't know. It just comes off like you have."

That made Jisoo think. Did she?

Shaking her head, she deflected that thought.

"Oppa, you just go. I'll be fine here."

"Why are you making me leave at my own house?"

"Well, I'd prefer to be alone than you being here," she affirmed, which was true.

"Jisoo—"

"You already called the cops at the house, right? That puts me at peace." She gave him a little smile. "Don't worry about me. I'll be fine."

He stared defiantly at her. She returned that by holding a gaze of her own. She wasn't going to let her brother win this one.

After some time, her brother raised his arms in surrender, making Jisoo triumphantly smile.

"Fine."

As he stood up and fixed his tie, he sent her a look again, one that told her he was somewhat relieved.

"Jisoo, I'm glad you don't seem too... rattled about it."

She went silent at that. After the second time around, she thought she'd be shell-shocked, traumatized even. But here she was, functioning like a normal human being. It honestly felt weird.

"I'm not saying this as your brother, but as someone who loves you very much. Like what you did last night, don't hesitate to call me. Don't even hesitate to call if you're angry, or sad, or if you just want someone to talk to. I'm always here for you. You know that, right?"

His sincerity warmed her heart. Maybe it was the reason she could act strong, after everything that happened. She stood up from the couch and gave him a hug.

"Thank you."

His brother returned the hug, one hand around her shoulder and the other gently running his fingers through her hair, tickling Jisoo. He knew it soothed her all the time.

"Just... don't push me away, like you did last time."

"I won't. Ever again. I promise."

When she pulled away, he ruffled her hair and smiled. "Please call me when something sketchy happens around the house."

"I will."

"Even if it's just something silly, a shadow somewhere, a weird noise or—"

Jisoo rolled her eyes and clamped his mouth shut with her hand. "I get it, oppa. Don't scare me anymore."

He removed her hands and innocently blinked. "I'm sorry. Did I scare you?"

"No, I – I don't mean that. Oppa. You don't have to be." She exasperatingly sighed. "You're too kind for a joke sometimes."

"I'm sensitive."

Jisoo slapped him on the arm. However, it didn't incite any reaction from the man like she was expecting him to do.

"You don't."

"Ha-ha. Very funny."

Annoyed, she forced him to move, pushing him towards the door.

"Just go already!"

"Okay okay, fine," he replied with a little laugh.

When they arrived in front, he gave her a wave and finally stepped out.

"Take care."

"You too."

When Jinwoo left, her smile faltered. She wanted him to stay, she really did. However, she was tired of being a burden.

At least for now, she felt safe. That was all that mattered anyway.


Jiwon felt a poke on his shoulder, taking him out of his trance.

"You okay?"

Jiwon's sight went from Donghyuk's worried face to his hands. Without meaning to, he was absentmindedly spinning his phone between the gap of his thumb and index finger.

Still out of it, he gave Donghyuk a curt nod.

"You don't look like okay. Hyung, what's happening to you?"

Jiwon stared at Donghyuk. Between his friends slash workmates, only Donghyuk didn't know. He pursed his lips, hesitating to tell his friend about it. From across the table, Jinhwan shook his head.

"Donghyuk," Jinhwan interrupted, his tone telling him to drop it.

His friend sent one last glance at Jiwon before leaning back on his seat. Jiwon, in return, let out a relieved sigh.

"The second clause of the contract doesn't seem too favorable at our end. Do we have time to change it now?" Hanbin sidelined, tapping the papers in front of him.

Jinhwan leaned over at Hanbin's side as the latter brought the files to him. "It was what we talked over, remember? That's a risk we have to take if we want this to push through."

Donghyuk nodded, now focusing on the discussion. "Hanbin hyung's right. What if we modify it and come to a more favorable one instead?"

"You really want to renegotiate with them?" Jinhwan argued as his eyebrows went up in disbelief.

"Come on, this is Jiwon hyung's brother-in-law. I'm sure he'll understand," Donghyuk reasoned.

Both Hanbin and Jinhwan exchanged looks.

"I don't think that's a good idea right now," Jinhwan informed as he glanced over at Jiwon.

Jiwon, knowing what he meant, kept his head low. With the way the two were acting, it was enough to raise Donghyuk's curiosity. He could actually hear the question before it could escape from his friend's mouth. Before it could happen though, the door of the meeting room opened, revealing the person Jiwon dreaded to see right now.

The four of them stood up and bowed politely. Kim Jinwoo slightly tipped his head down in greeting and proceeded to sit at the empty seat beside Hanbin, just across Jiwon. He could feel his brother-in-law's piercing gaze aimed at him. In fear of experiencing his silent wrath, Jiwon avoided his eyes. Jinwoo wasn't even saying anything yet his silence was enough to send chills on his spine.

For a fleeting moment, Jiwon had the urge to encourage his friends to back out of the deal. However, he also knew that it was impossible.

"Everything's all good with this?" Jinwoo asked as he took out a fountain pen inside his coat pocket.

"Actually, we have one—" Donghyuk's words were cut off as Jiwon nudged him on his thigh under the table. Coupled with this was the other two's warning look.

"I'm sorry, what?"

"No – Nothing."

Silence engulfed them, which was needed since Jinwoo studied the contents of the papers. After some time or so, he finally signed. In Jiwon's peripheral, he could see Jinhwan and Hanbin let out relieved breaths. Everyone stood up with Jinwoo's lead.

"Pleasure doing business with you," Hanbin stated. "You will not regret it."

"I hope so," Jinwoo replied as he shook everyone's hands, starting from Jinhwan, to Hanbin, Donghyuk and finally, to Jiwon. For some reason, his grip felt tighter around his hand. Jiwon could feel cold sweat seeping in his collar shirt as Jinwoo pointedly looked at him. As quick as it happened and before anyone could see, he took his hand back.

"So I get to see we're done here?" Jinwoo asked.

They all nodded.

"Good," he agreed as he glanced at his watch. "I have matters to attend to. If you have troubles or inquires, you know where to call me. Good day."

There was an itch inside Jiwon. He didn't know what it was, but he wanted to find out. Based from his brother-in-law's actions alone, he knew he had a clue on whatever was going on between him and his sister. Jinwoo wasn't cold like this to him before.

When Jinwoo left, Donghyuk nudged him on his side. "You look like you want to tell something to your brother-in-law. Go before you regret it."

Jiwon stared at Donghyuk. How did he sense that?

He nodded once and sent him a grateful smile. Deciding to follow his advice, he went after Jinwoo who was just in the middle of entering his office.

"Jinwoo hyung, wait."

The said person stopped on his tracks, looking at him with an expressionless one. Jinwoo was a bundle of numerous emotions, but never like this. So it was understandable why Jiwon felt a strange fear for the guy.

As he went towards his brother-in-law, Jiwon felt the words he wanted to say drying up at his mouth. A sudden surge of nervousness crept to his nerves, rendering his rationality out of the window. He knew it was an onset of him probably saying something stupid.

"Hyung... I know this may sound weird but... do you know if... if Jisoo's fine?"

His brother-in-law shrugged and folded his arms. "I don't know. Why wouldn't she be fine?"

Jiwon pursed his lips. That was a confirmation of Jinwoo's knowledge. However, it would be better if the news came directly from him.

"Hyung, I..." He breathed hard. "I cheated on her. I'm sorry."

Jinwoo's jaw grew taut at his statement. At his sides, he was gripping his knuckles, turning them to almost white.

"I know." He stepped closer to shorten the distance between them and spoke in a low growl, "I don't want to cause a scene, especially after I signed a deal with your company. But if you're so intent to know, of course she's not fine. She pretends to, but she doesn't at all."

Jiwon kept his gaze low.

"We trusted you to take care of her, Jiwon. What the hell happened?" he hissed. His feral tone made Jiwon subconsciously step back, unfamiliar to this side of him.

"I'm sorry. I really am. I'm going to do everything to gain her back. I love her, hyung. I'm not – I'm not going to let it happen, ever again. I promise you that."

"I hope it's that easy as you say it is," Jinwoo sneered.

For a while, Jiwon held his gaze. The once heartwarming eyes turned cold and hard at his sight. With just a stare alone, he could make him feel so little, so small that he looked like he could crush him with his feet. He deserved her brother's animosity. It was a price he had to pay.

"I love her with all my life, Jiwon. Her pain is my pain. I know things haven't been the best for the both of you, but cheating isn't the answer. It never is and never will be. Maybe you ought to learn that."

"Hyung..."

Jinwoo sent him a glare, as if calling him a brother revolted him to the core. And maybe it did. He didn't say anything after that, choosing to walk away instead.

Jiwon stared at his back, his words seeping through his wounds and making them bleed again.

I deserve it, he thought over and over again. I know I deserve much worse.


Maybe it was because Jisoo wasn't sleeping their house, but she slept easier compared to other days. As she was being lulled to a deeper sleep, for some reason, she woke up with a jolt. Breathing hard, she surveyed the dim room. There wasn't anything out of place, until she saw the door wide open.

Irritation brimmed in her chest. Whoever it was that was bugging her had a lot of guts to come here and scare her again. She had enough.

Jisoo flicked the sheets off her body and rose from the bed, wearing her slippers after. With hasty steps, she hoped to see someone, a culprit or a ghost even, to catch. Anything to prove that everything was real.

It took her some time to adjust to the darkness. It was a matter of speed, she knew, having no time to be turning on lights. She could hear his heavy pants, could actually feel him so close, as if he was just breathing on her neck.

Strangely, that felt real too.

As she entered the living room area, something clicked. It was the door leading outside. She ran towards it, the pitter-patter of her footsteps only heard against the deafening silence. With an unknown force, she wrenched the door open.

"Who's there?!"

Her question seemed to echo in the empty hallway.

"Who's there?!" she repeated.

Without so much of a warning, someone grabbed her by the wrist, forcefully pulling her away from the comfort of the house.

"COME WITH ME!"

Startled, Jisoo could only look at the man holding her captive. When she went out of a trance, she realized the man was no other than the neighborhood creep their neighbors were talking about, Park Jaesang.

Jisoo tried to struggle against his hold, but the effort went futile with the man's obvious strength.

"L – Let me go. Please."

But his grip went tighter, his stubby fingers embedding deeper in her skin.

"Come with me. NOW!!!"

"Please... I didn't do anything wrong. Let me go. Please. Let me go..."

He shook her by the wrists. The motion was enough to make her head bob in awkward angles. Realizing his strength and capabilities, fear crawled into her skin. She knew at this point, she was helpless.

"DON'T YOU UNDERSTAND WHAT I'M SAYING?! I NEED TO TALK TO YOU!!!"

Jisoo winced as his shout penetrated her ears. Glancing at the door to her brother's unit, she hoped it was enough to alert her brother, or anyone from the units near them.

His laughter boomed. "Are you seriously hoping for someone to come help you? No one will!"

Now fearing for her life, she whimpered. "I'm sorry. I didn't do anything wrong. Please... please... hear me out."

He shook her wrist again, his grip now hurting her. "You're the one who needs to hear me out!"

"LET ME GO!"

Her screaming only turned her situation worse since he yanked her by the hair, pulling her down.

"YOU DON'T GET TO TELL ME WHAT TO DO!!!"

Jisoo gasped for air, feeling as if something suffocated her. The scenario of the outside hallway morphed into darkness. Blinking for a few times, she realized that she was staring at the ceiling of her brother's guest room.

The only thing she could think right now was to breathe, and that was the first thing she did as she sat on the bed, using the headboard as support. As she did this, she blankly stared at the closed door, not ajar, like she believed a couple of moments ago.

It was a dream. It was just a dream...

It didn't make sense to her, how it could feel so much of a dream and a reality at the same time. Maybe that was what nightmares did, mess her up real good until it distorted the line between fiction and reality.

The scene replayed like a broken record in her head. When the fog in her mind cleared, she could remember every single detail about it perfectly, from the darkness, the hot breath against her neck, down to the pain she felt on her hair and wrists. In the background, she could hear her heavy pants and the loud noise her heart was creating.

Something wet trickled from her forehead and another one on her cheek. She ran her hand to her face to wipe them away. However, she realized the two seemed different. She knew the liquid on her forehead was sweat, while the one on her cheek felt thick and sticky. When she raised her other hand to examine it, she noticed she was clutching something, a paper. From the little light the room provided, she flipped the note open and squinted her eyes to try to read it with all her might.

Why did you leave? I miss you. You didn't have to. I'll take care of you, like I always do, every single night. - J

The sudden peak of her heartbeat moved in an erratic rhythm. She recognized the style of the typewritten letters... the same note she saw at their refrigerator door.

It was then she realized, Jiwon wasn't the one who wrote these at all.

As she ran her fingers through it, the note became smeared with something dark... something red.

Jisoo immediately ran to the bathroom and turned the lights on. When she looked at her reflection in the mirror, she noticed her disoriented eyes, her pale complexion, her dead lips, and most of all, the ugly scratches on her cheeks.

Fear engulfed her entire being.

Could it be...

Her hands trembled as she slowly lifted them to check what she deduced. She took a deep, shaky gasp when she did so. It was what she feared to confirm: her fingernails were caked with blood.

Feeling as if all the air was knocked out of her lungs, her arms limped lifelessly on her sides. She had hurt herself, without knowing.

What if... she was the one causing all of these?

Her apathy now made sense. She thought it was because she chose not to be too shaken that she was still functioning like a normal human being. It wasn't. How could she still function like a normal human being, after everything that happened?

But the note... No.

Thoughts, words, and actions could lie, but feelings don't. If that was the case, then she could confirm it herself.

She was slowly descending to madness.

-to be continued-