Always

Baby, I'm Here.

 

 

 

 

 

###

AUTHOR'S NOTE: First chapt.~ (btw you don't have to read the original... unless you want to read a little snippet about these two, then it's on the second chapter of DAYT)

Hope all you beautiful creatures enjoy~

And don't forget to leave comments~

I'll see y'all soon~

###

 

 

 

 

 

 

Mark dreaded exam nights. It could only meant he had to pull countless of all-nighters, studying for subjects that he harbored a passionate hate for. Well, just one more semester until he gets his Master’s. It’s all or nothing now. Grad students weren’t supposed to have an easy life anyways.

 

 

Shuffling through pages of neatly written notes, Mark only let out a tired sigh as he rubbed his eyes. His cup of coffee was long empty, just like his soul that went away with it. Mark had the option to grab his keys and drop by the nearest coffee shop on campus, but his heart and body weren’t exactly in sync with one another. So, he opted to resort to those stacked away water bottles that Jinyoung had bought for him earlier this week, suggesting that water was good for concentration and storing memories.

 

 

“What a load of bull,” Mark scoffed, ignoring how ironic his retort sounded. He could care less. It was way too past midnight.

 

 

He read through a couple more pages of his notes and proceeded to slam the textbooks closed, calling it a night because his was too tired and wasted. Besides, he could always wake up earlier and study. Mark just really needed sleep.

 

 

With the lights still on, Mark fell onto his bed and passed out in a couple of seconds. But it wasn’t for long, give it about forty-five minutes, before the loud banging of his dorm’s door resonated annoyingly in his ears. Groaning sleepily, Mark got up and went to the door, opening it with a grumpy expression plastered on his face, mind already planned the death of whoever that dared to woke him up at this ungodly hour on exam night.

 

 

His plans were immediately shut down as soon as he recognized the panicked face of a certain person. “Jinyoung? What the hell?”

 

 

Mark’s best friend looked back at him with fear in his glassy eyes. “M-Mark, let me in.”

 

 

Before the door closed, Mark grabbed Jinyoung’s wrist and spun the latter around. He did a quick check. Despite being sleep deprived, Mark could still clearly see the rips on Jinyoung’s clothes and the light bruises near his jaw and a fresh cut on his lips. That was all it took to jolt every nerve awake within Mark, fueling his anger by ten folds. “What the happened to you? Was it him? Did he do this?”

 

 

“Mar-”

 

 

Didn’t wait for Jinyoung’s answer, because it was obvious where all those bruises and cuts came from, Mark bolted out the room and madly roamed down the halls of the dorm. Based on the panic in Jinyoung’s eyes and the hurry in his voice, Mark came to the conclusion that Jinyoung was running away. Mark wasn’t wrong. He never was. Not in these type of situations.

 

 

“You er!” Mark grabbed the collars of the and delivered a clean punch right in his face, venting out his frustration over exams and rage over how battered his best friend had looked.

 

 

The guy staggered back and lost his balance, sending him falling flat to the floor, holding his face in pain. “What the !” He looked up at his attacker and sneered, “Oh, it’s you, Mark. Where’s Jinyoung?”

 

 

Dragging the guy back up to his feet, Mark growled, “Somewhere away from abusive scumbags like you, .” And he kneed the guy hard, then threw that weightless body on the ground. Mark continuously kicking the guy’s side, probably broke his ribs by the amount of force Mark was putting into those kicks. He doesn’t stop until arms were wrapped around his torso, pulling him back.

 

 

“Mark! Stop it! He’s not worth it!” Jinyoung shouted, a little breathless from catching up to Mark.

 

 

Throwing Jinyoung a glance, Mark shook off his best friend’s hold. He bent down and picked that bastard up by his collars. Mark stared down at the guy and threatened venomously, “If I see you within five feet of Jinyoung, or if you dare touch even one strand of hair on his head, I’ll ing end you.”

 

 

“Come on, Mark. Just leave him,” Jinyoung said, voice already laced with exhaustion, “Let’s go.”

 

 

They left after Mark gave one last shove, knocking the bastard unconsciously lying there on the cold ground. When they returned back to Mark’s room, Mark made Jinyoung sat down and tended his injuries, of course, not without a bit of scolding.

 

 

“What did I told you?” Mark sighed, dabbing the little cotton on the corner of Jinyoung’s lips.

 

 

Jinyoung hissed, disliking the teeny amount of alcohol surfacing the cotton, “Okay, fine, you’re right. I’m wrong.”

 

 

“That’s not the point, Jinyoung-ah.”

 

 

“Then what is? I don’t get you at all, Mark.”

 

 

“You were perfectly fine with that guy from your department, and he’s a nice guy, so why the did you left him for an ?” Mark wetted another cotton with a bit of water.

 

 

“I don’t do guys my age or younger,” Jinyoung responded in a quiet voice, knowing perfectly well what was coming next.

 

 

Mark rolled his eyes, “What kind of ed up logic is that? He’s at least two years older than you for ’s sake.”

 

 

“You don’t understand, Mark.”

 

 

“You always say that, Jinyoung. Look at yourself. Just look. Even I can’t bear to look at you right now. Listen, Jinyoung, you’re very young. You’re a Sophomore in college. You’ve just turned twenty. There are so many guys out there who could treat you better. Was it necessary to go for someone who’s, like, twice your age?”

 

 

“Ages are just numbers when it comes to love,” Jinyoung said, eyes casting down at the plain bed sheets of Mark’s bed.

 

 

Mark scoffed, “Stop with the ‘love’ bull. You think you’re ‘in love,’ but in reality, you’re just ing with older guys, who only used you for their ual pleasures. Please, the world is bigger than that.”

 

 

Jinyoung glared at Mark furiously, “Only you would say that! You’ve never dated anyone, let alone love! You’re always this quiet piece of who would rather keep to himself. Honestly, I’ve known you since I was in First Grade, and I still haven’t figured you out yet. You think you’re so smart about the world just because you’re four years older than me? Wrong. You’re just living in fear. You’re scared to throw yourself on someone. You’re scared to move forward. You’re scared to even show any sign of emotion. You’re a coward, Mark.” It wasn’t Jinyoung’s slightest intention to call his best friend out like this, but he’s also frustrated with the older’s stone heart.

 

 

“What about you then? You’re always going out, always dating, always finding ‘love,’ always testing yourself. But wouldn't that make you a scared person, too?” Mark calmly wiped away the remaining dots of blood lingering on Jinyoung’s lips.

 

 

“I-”

 

 

“I’m very different from you. I know you know that. I don’t do such useless things as ‘dating,’ Jinyoung-ah. And I hate the idea of commitment. Also, just because you’ve never seen me with anyone, doesn’t mean that I don’t venture out, just not as much as you do. I’ve done my fair share of kisses and , but those were just one-night stands with no feelings attached, just something to vent off stress.”

 

 

Jinyoung looked extremely surprised, “Wh-what? How come I don’t know about this? S-since when?”

 

 

“Yeah, because I totally was planning on telling how I ,” Mark rolled his eyes as he replied sarcastically. “Doesn’t matter. It doesn’t concerns you.”

 

 

“Yes, it does!” Jinyoung pouted, “I always tell you everything!”

 

 

“But I never asked,” Mark shrugged, closing the first-aid kit, “You’ve just got too carried away most of the time, even when I clearly feel uncomfortable hearing them.”

 

 

“That’s not fair,” the younger’s pout only got worse, “At least tell me who you’ve been with. Men or women? Or both?”

 

 

“This is a conversation for another time,” Mark finalized, ending this whole nonsense curiosity.

 

 

“But Mark-”

 

 

“Now, I’m assuming you’ll be staying here?”

 

 

“Yeah, I don’t want to go back to my room. After what you’ve done to him, he’s definitely going to wait for me at the dorms, so I’ll just crash here for a while. That’s always fine with you.”

 

 

Sighing, Mark nodded, “All right, then you take the bed. I have to go study.”

 

 

“Shouldn’t you get some sleep first? You always told me to not pull all-nighters, and now you’re doing it to yourself?” Jinyoung slipped himself under the blanket, his back against the soft cushion of the bed.

 

 

“I’ve already slept for a bit until you came knocking my door down.”

 

 

“Sorry… I didn’t know where else to go…”

 

 

“It’s okay,” Mark offered a small smile, “That’s what best friends are for, right?”

 

 

Jinyoung grinned back in return, “You sure you don’t want me to make you coffee before I sleep?”

 

 

Mark shook his head and chuckled, “I think I’m good.”

 

 

“Okay then,” Jinyoung pursed his lips and turned lying on his side with his back facing Mark.

 

 

The older sighed softly and made his way out, turning off the lights as he exited. Before Mark closed the door, Jinyoung whispered, loud enough for both of them to hear, “Thank you, Mark.”

 

 

“Always.”

 

 

 

()()()

 

 

 

Mark didn’t expect to be greeted like this so early in the morning. As soon as he opened the doors to his company, well, more specially, CEO Choi’s, but Mark is the President, which was only a position after the CEO, so technically, Mark could call it his, too, Jinyoung already came running towards him.

 

 

“What-” Mark was about to voice out his question when another figure approached. He instantly grasped the situation. “CEO Kim, good morning. How may we help you today?”

 

 

In front of them stood the CEO of Kim’s Oil Production, a quite classy man in his mid-forties with a label that could be cared less by President Tuan. CEO Kim showed no shame in looking over Mark’s shoulders, trying to catch eyes with Jinyoung, who hid behind Mark. “I was just here to see Secretary Park to discuss some business that CEO Choi and I had talked about last week.”

 

 

“Is that so? Well, since I’m here, why don’t we come up to my office and discuss it?” Mark smiled politely and intimidating at the same time.

 

 

“No, that won’t be necessary. You’re a busy man, President Tuan, plus, Mister Park is the CEO’s personal secretary, so it would be more convenient to discuss details with him-”

 

 

Out of nowhere, an angel materialized with a loud voice, enough for all things to be stopped and admired his graceful entrance, “Jinyoung-hyung, I need you in my office. I got some papers to sort.”

 

 

Everyone turned heads. The employees all bowed respectfully as their CEO walked past. The Beauty of the business industry was something to look at.

 

 

CEO Kim smiled awkwardly, “Youngjae! How have you been?”

 

 

Youngjae gave a short nod of his head as a bow, disregarding the huge between the two and the fact that he had to respect his elders, “CEO Kim, what a surprise for you to personally visit us.”

 

 

Mark looked over at Youngjae, who stealthily winked, signaling to Mark that he got this. The President was grateful, of course. He was glad that Youngjae was such a close friend to both him and Jinyoung, which made the situation a lot easier to understand, because CEO Choi knew as much as Mark does about Jinyoung’s playful love life and horrible habits.

 

 

“Well, I was actually…” CEO Kim cleared his throat, “Just stopping by to discuss some matters with your secretary.”

 

 

“Jinyoung-hyung?” Youngjae glanced over at Jinyoung, who made an uncomfortable face in response, “I’m sorry to have interrupted and cut your meeting short, but I kind of need my secretary in my office right now. We’re about to have a meeting in half an hour, so if you don’t mind…”

 

 

“Of course not! I’ll just come by another time,” CEO Kim said, “I’m sorry to suddenly show up without a notice in advance.”

 

 

“Apologies accepted, sir,” Youngjae smiled, “Jinyoung-hyung, let’s go.”

 

 

Mark nodded for Jinyoung to follow Youngjae. As the CEO and his secretary disappeared into the elevators, Mark boldly stepped closer to CEO Kim and whispered in the man’s ear, “I hope you’re aware of what you’re doing, Mister Kim. You have a wife and three kids back home who doesn’t know about your secret desire for younger men. I advice you to back off now, or there will be consequences. Also, wasn’t it you who broke it off with Jinyoung first? So, why the are you here? Planning on winning him back? That’s impossible because Jinyoung already moved on. You were ing around with him, so you should know that he’s not the type that you could chain for long. I think you already know how wild he is, so don’t waste your time and effort on getting him back. He had forgotten you now.”

 

 

The chair of a company’s President was lower than the seat of a CEO, however, that didn’t stop Mark from crossing the boundary of authorities. The look on CEO Kim was priceless, overlapping the manly, handsome features the man possessed. He was just staring at Mark in utter shock. President Tuan stared down at that sorry excuse of a human being and walked away without a proper 'goodbye,' leaving the CEO stranded in a sea of confusion and horror. Mark could care less.

 

Mark was on his way to his office when he was grabbed suddenly and pulled into a random room along the hallway. Despite being surprised by the sudden ‘kidnap,’ it was awfully obvious who the culprit was.

 

 

“Really, Jinyoung.”

 

 

“Sorry, needed your help back there.”

 

 

“Of course,” the President sighed, conveniently seated himself on a nearby chair. “Since you’re fine now, shouldn't you be heading back to your place?”

 

 

“Wow, do you want me gone that bad?” Jinyoung rolled his eyes, “And I’m still not ‘fine’ even though I look like it.”

 

 

Mark quirked an eyebrow, “You’ve been crashing at my place for over a week already. Normally, after a ‘break up,’ one weekend was enough. Appreciate that I’m letting you camping over these past eight days. It’s still not enough for you to recover? Are you seriously that heartbroken?”

 

 

Jinyoung pouted and crossed his arms stubbornly against his chest, eyes glaring holes into his best friend’s new suit. “I thought we’re best friends, Mark. You should be comforting me, but all you’ve done was left me alone in your room. You even ignored my cries, like, do you even have a heart anymore?”

 

 

Rubbing his temples tiredly, Mark sighed again, “I ignored you, because I knew you’ll be over it in a couple of days. No big deal. You always cry and , but give it two weeks, and you’ll be in the arms of another older man you’ve picked up from somewhere. So, what’s the point of me comforting? I even lent you my room for ’s sake. What more do you want from me, Park Jinyoung?”

 

 

“You’re such an ,” Jinyoung stated the most obvious fact there was about the notorious President Tuan, feeling triggered all over, “Why can’t I stay over for a while? Your apartment is too big for one person anyways! It has three ing rooms! All I’m asking-”

 

 

“Are you sad, Jinyoung?” Mark asked. If there weren’t any acknowledgements these past days, then there are now.

 

 

Jinyoung’s gaze shifted towards the floor, bitter in his own reality. “I need a drink.”

 

 

Mark shook his head, “No, you’ve been drinking too much.” He knew exactly how his best friend was feeling. They’ve known each other for too long. Everything that remotely related to Park Jinyoung never goes unnoticed by Mark.

 

 

“You’re thirty-three, right?” Jinyoung plopped down on an empty seat next to Mark.

 

 

“Pretty much, yes,” Mark rolled his eyes, honestly having enough of this age bull. “And I don’t need you to constantly reminding me of how old I am. Thirty-three isn’t even old.”

 

 

“But I’m twenty-nine, though,” the secretary smiled.

 

 

Mark scoffed, “Right, you’re not young either.”

 

 

Turning to face his best friend properly, Jinyoung wore an earnest spark in his eyes, “I want to see you get married, hyung. Hurry up and get married.”

 

 

To Jinyoung’s sudden sincerity, Mark burst out laughing, “Since when do you call me ‘hyung’? And since when does my marital status got to do with your ‘heartbroken’ self?”

 

 

“I’m serious.”

 

 

“You know what, Jinyoung? If you’re this serious about your relationships, then you wouldn’t be dealing with these childish ‘heartbreak.’ And I wouldn’t have to deal with your lazily moping and trashing all over my apartment,” Mark stood up, straightened out his suit jacket and tie. “But do you also know what? I care enough to let you in. Remember that.”

 

 

“I love you, you know that, right?” Jinyoung watched his best friend heading for the door of this empty meeting room.

 

 

“Yeah, I know.”

 

 

“And I will always love you, Mark.”

 

 

Mark looked back at Jinyoung and smiled, “Save those words for your future lover, Jinyoung-ah. Don’t waste it on me. You’ll regret it.”

 

 

It’s not like Mark doesn’t feel the genuine in those words. He does. Jinyoung, for the longest time Mark had known him, was an honest person in front of Mark, regardless of anything. But then again, Jinyoung was also a person who doesn’t put much meaning in such words like ‘I love you’ because his nature of automatically saying them became his weakness. Mark knows Jinyoung falls easily and moves on easily. So easily that Mark wouldn’t even worry much about Jinyoung’s many ‘heartbreaks.’ At the end of the day, ‘love’ was something too broad, too overwhelming, too sentimental, for Jinyoung to understand. But Mark never claimed that he, himself, could understand it. Mark rather not understand it. Those things only gave him unnecessary headaches.

 

 

“I’ll give you one more week,” Mark said.

 

 

Jinyoung scoffed, “Then what? You’re going to really kick me out?”

 

 

“No, then I’ll acknowledge that you’re really upset over losing this guy,” Mark chuckled, half-sarcasm weaving through his words, “And I’ll take responsibility as a best friend and properly comfort you.”

 

 

The start of this morning has been ty for Jinyoung. But now he could finally smile. “Thank you, Mark!”

 

 

Mark was done giving Jinyoung lectures after lectures, scoldings after scoldings. He was done with watching Jinyoung cried over and over again. He was done watching Jinyoung recklessly getting drunk and drunk until there was nothing else to get drunk about. It tired Mark down, but of course, Jinyoung didn't notice. Mark needed a break. He was so sick of all these childish s called ‘love.’ The results had been the same no matter whatever happened.

 

 

Without looking back, Mark replied, “Always.”