Chapter Two

I've Fallen for You

“You… what?” Hyungwon asks incredulously. He turns to Hoseok for an explanation, but the older only avoids his gaze. Hyungwon chuckles, unable to believe what he's hearing. “What do you mean you're leaving?” he demands. 

 

“It's just probably time we move on,” Hyunwoo vaguely explains, slurping up a bite of extra-cheesy pizza. “Not anytime soon,” he assures the younger around the food in his mouth. “But, you know, maybe in a couple months.” Hyungwon's eyes grow hard, and he looks to Hoseok again, though this time doesn't take pity on the older male merely poking at his food. 

 

“What's he talking about, hyung?” he asks. “You two aren't really thinking of leaving, are you?”

 

“I… We…” Hoseok stammers, guilt clogging his throat.  

 

“Home is calling,” Hyunwoo interjects, shrugging at the young man. “Sorry, Wonnie, but—”

 

“Don't ‘sorry Wonnie’ me,” Hyungwon interrupts. He sits back from the table, crossing his arms and shaking his head. “You two know how I feel about this kind of thing,” he mumbles. “You both saw how broken up I was when everyone before you left, and now you're just up and leaving? Do you not remember how long it took me to open up to you?! Do you guys not remember how broken I was?

 

“This is just how it started last time,” Hyungwon mumbles to himself. “First, the roommates left, and then my boyfriend of a year decided to leave with them…” Hoseok shares a glance with Hyunwoo, not liking how this is going at all. 

 

“Maybe we could…?” Hoseok murmurs, glancing questioningly at Hyunwoo. The older merely shakes his head, and Hoseok sighs in exasperation. He personally doesn't even think they should be thinking of leaving so soon, but it is protocol. Give the new relationship of the client a month to flourish, and then begin slowly separating yourself throughout another two months until you can leave without causing any major emotional breakage.

 

Hyungwon shakes his head as well, a hard light coming to his eyes as he stands and goes to his room. Hoseok winces at the younger’s bedroom door slamming shut. He stares down at his food, suddenly very much not hungry. 

 

 

“Hyungwon-hyung is upset…” Changkyun murmurs, frowning at his phone. He stands from the cuddle pile on the couch, and presses the device to his ear as he goes to his room. Kihyun follows the younger with his eyes, only breaking his stare when hi bedroom door is closed. He frowns, turning his attention to the tv with a huff. Minhyuk watches his same-age friend with a knowing smirk, chuckling to himself. 

 

“It’s been a month…” Kihyun murmurs without having to be egged on by anyone. “It’s been a month, and we still haven’t even met this Chae Hyungwon. How do I know he’s good enough for Kyunnie? How do I know Kyunnie is even safe with that man?”

 

“You have met him,” Minhyuk tells him while rolling his eyes. “You even said that you liked him because of the gentle way he handled the produce at the store when he bagged our groceries.”

 

“That’s different,” Kihyun fires back. “I’ve never met him in any sort of official capacity. I need to know if he’s good enough for my dongsaeng.”

 

“And what would you do if he wasn’t?” Minhyuk questions, raising a brow. “It’s not as if you could make them break up, or anything.”

 

“I have connections…” is all Kihyun says in reply. He’s sure Minhyuk thinks he’s only referring to a mortal hitman or something, it being impossible for him to even begin to imagine all the warlocks, dark fey, and half-demons he knows to be roaming about on this mortal plain. All it’d take is one phone call, then this Hyungwon kid would be finished. 

 

“I see what you mean, though,” Minhyuk murmurs finally. “I’d honestly like to meet Hyungwon, as well, in more of an official sense. I’d like to know Kyunnie isn’t getting involved with someone who isn’t good for him.” 

 

“Then it’s decided,” Kihyun says with a tone of finality. “We’ll have Changkyunnie invite Hyungwon over for dinner one night next week, and we can judge him to our hearts’ content.” Minhyuk chuckles again, shaking his head. 

 

“You know,” he says, sighing, “when you get that determined light in your eyes, you honestly look a bit scary.” Kihyun chuckles darkly, giving his friend a knowing smirk. 

 

 

“I don’t know if Hyungwon-hyung would be willing to do it,” Changkyun tells his roommates the next day. “His roommates just told him they’re going to move out. He was really upset about it, that’s why he needed to talk last night.” He pauses, chewing on his bottom lip thoughtfully as he thinks about whether or not to go on. “I’m not too sure on the details, but apparently his life kinda of fell apart the last time his roommates decided to leave out of the blue.”

 

“Well then what better reason than to have a big dinner here,” Kihyun insists. “We’ll even invite Jooheonney, too, so that all the attention won’t be on you two. Tell him he can bring his roommates, too. It’ll be fun.” At the mention of Jooheon, Minhyuk’s head snaps up, his eyes shining with newfound hope and glee. 

 

“Really?” Changkyun asks hopefully. “You’d really be willing to cook for that many people, hyung?” Kihyun hums, nodding at the younger. The young man giggles delightedly, and launches himself towards his hyung for a grateful hug. Kihyun laughs affectionately and pats Changkyun’s soft hair as he returns the embrace. 

 

It’s moments like these that make him almost grateful for his banishment, for he’d never been able to get this close to such an adorable human before.