Stay

Stay
Please log in to read the full chapter

Stay

WC: 2,902

 

 

Inspired by this song: Stay by Crywolf

 

Kai smoothed his hair one last time and sighed. Tonight, was the first night he would be going out since he and Luhan had broken up. He wasn’t quite sure if he was ready or not, but figured one month had to be long enough to get over a six-month relationship. That and his best friend Baekhyun had been begging him to come to his club for ages now.

He stared at his reflection and hoped the black on black ensemble would be good enough for tonight. He buttoned the top button and then stared at himself some more. His hands were trembling slightly from nerves. Luhan had been his first relationship since he came out of the closet, so he was all he knew.

Kai felt a dim pang in his heart at the thought of his name but he knew that Luhan was not the type to settle down, so he knew their relationship would come to an end eventually. He just wished that Luhan had waited longer than a week before he tried contacting Kai again and inviting him to meet his new boyfriend Sehun.

Then again Luhan just did things like that. He was so oblivious to the world around him because he was always so lost in his own and Kai knew that. Kai knew that from the very first time he met Luhan back in high school.

Luhan was openly gay, flamboyant and fun to be around so it was no surprise before Kai realized that the butterflies and sweaty palms he had around him were not because he was uncomfortable in his own skin, but because he had trouble coming to terms with the fact that he found Luhan cute. Or the fact that he found himself staring at his when he walked in front of him in the hallways or the way his breath hitched when he caught glimpses of Luhan shirtless.

What did catch Kai by surprise was when Luhan kissed him after prom on their way to the after party. That and the fact that Kai could not wipe the dumb grin off his face all night. He had followed Luhan around like a puppy all night at the party. He also came out at the party…drunkenly. He had one too many vodka cranberries and next thing he knew he was standing on a table trying to get everyone’s attention. Then he slurred out that he was gay and promptly slipped off the table and hit his head.

Kai cringed as the memory left his mind. He could not believe that he had done that, or the fact that Luhan asked him out the very next day and they dated all through summer and first semester of college. Then things changed when Luhan met Sehun at a gay bar. Suddenly, they were spending a lot of time together and Kai got worried that he was going to be dumped, so he dumped Luhan first to save himself some pain.

Kai rolled his eyes and stared at his reflection again. He still had moments when he missed Luhan, but as those were getting fewer and fewer, he figured he was moving on. But still, Luhan was the only person he had dated, so he was not even sure if he even knew how to flirt with guys. What if he made a fool of himself? He bit his lip and told himself that everything was going to go great tonight. He figured he could trust Baekhyun to help him have a great night.

Just then, the doorbell rang and Baekhyun let himself into Kai’s apartment. “Who’s that tall guy moving in next door?” He rounded the corner and Kai could see that he was wearing skin tight purple jeans, a grey shirt, and smoky eye makeup. He also had on boots which made a satisfying clack-clack as he walked through Kai’s apartment.

Kai shrugged his shoulders. “I don’t know.” He felt plain compared to Baekhyun. He fidgeted with his hair again. His normally tanned skin looked pale and flat in the harsh lighting of his bathroom.

“He’s hot, in a nerdy kind of way.” Baekhyun said offhandedly. Then he walked up to Kai and pulled his hand away from his hair. “You look y.” He winked and then wriggled his eyebrows. Baekhyun always had a way of making everyone feel like they were hottest person in the room. That or he made them feel dull in comparison to himself. “Gonna have all the boys drooling.”

Kai laughed. Tonight was going to be fun as long as he had Baekhyun. He inhaled deeply and grabbed his wallet off the counter and slipped it into his pocket. “I’m ready.” He started to leave his bathroom but Baekhyun blocked his entrance.

“Not quite yet.” Baekhyun said and then ed the top button. Then he ruffled Kai’s hair and patted his cheek. “Now you are.”

Kai frowned. “I thought you said I looked good before?” Doubts began filling Kai’s mind.

Baekhyun strode to the door, “Well now you look extra good. Trust me, you’ll thank me later.” He opened the door and waited for Kai to walk out first.

Kai stood in the hallway for a second while Baekhyun locked his door. Part of their deal was that Kai was not allowed to return to his apartment tonight, so Baekhyun had control of his keys. Kai glanced towards his neighbor’s door when it opened and agreed with Baekhyun. His neighbor was kind of cute.

“Alright, let’s go get you laid.” Baekhyun said as he spun around to face Kai.

Kai glanced back at his neighbor and then towards Baekhyun. His neighbor was definitely checking him out. Kai smiled a bit and let Baekhyun lead him down the hallway. “My new neighbor was definitely staring at you.”

Baekhyun’s face reddened by three shades. “Good.” He flashed Kai a devilish grin and pulled him faster down the hallway. He seemed like he was practically flying. Then again, for all Kai knew, Baekhyun may have been flying. He was always a bit eccentric at times and it was usually infectious.

Once outside, they stood in the cool air and looked for a cab. There was a gentle breeze that rustled the lone tree outside of Kai’s apartment building. Kai looked up to the sky and sighed. He was still pretty nervous about tonight.

Baekhyun hailed the cab that was driving down the street. They ran to it and climbed in. It was slightly musty smelling, but otherwise clean. The driver was polite as well and chatted with them as they rode to the club.

Inside, the club was crowded. The lights were dim, but not too dim. Strobe lights indicated the dance floor and there were stairs that led to a second floor. People milled about drinking and even more people crowded onto the dance floor.

Kai felt the jitter of nerves increase as Baekhyun pushed him through the crowd to the bar. Kai stared wide-eyed at everyone inside. He was not used to being blatantly checked out nor was he used to seeing other gay couples making out so freely. The more he looked around the more his nerves went away. He felt like he could really relax here.

Baekhyun came back with two drinks and handed one to Kai. “Drin

Please log in to read the full chapter