0524

0524 [One-shot]
Please log in to read the full chapter

12AM KST, 24th May! Happy 5th anniversary, VIXX!

* * * *

 

To anyone who walked past the dance studio in the basement of Jellyfish Entertainment’s building, the blaring music from within meant that VIXX was in the midst of practice, as usual. If they were to enter the studio, however, they would be able to tell that tension was thick in the air. And it wasn’t something good.

 

Normal dance practice sessions with VIXX would be filled with lively banter and lots of laughter, but something was off. Nobody was talking, the members all wore no expression on their faces, and to anyone who knew them, they would know immediately that something wasn’t right.

 

Hakyeon hated this feeling. It wasn’t rare for them to have arguments; they usually gathered together to talk things out and misunderstandings would be resolved in a matter of hours. But it was different this time. Hakyeon knew that a talk wouldn’t solve things, because he had already tried. It was his responsibility as the leader, and as the eldest, to keep situations in check, but he felt utterly helpless, and he hated it.

 

But who could he blame? It was his fault, after all.

 

[1 week ago]

 

“Stop,” Hakyeon paused the music, “Jaehwan, Hongbin, you both repeat that part again.”

 

VIXX had begun practicing the choreography for their new title track for their upcoming comeback. It was their second week into practice but for some reason, Jaehwan and Hongbin kept messing up at the same parts over and over again. Hakyeon had stayed late with the both of them to go over the steps thoroughly, but still they kept getting it wrong.

 

“Ah, hyung~” Jaehwan attempted to get away with his mistake with aegyo.

 

Hakyeon would usually give in, but he wasn’t having it this time.

 

“No,” his voice was stern, “repeat. You and Hongbin.”

 

“C’mon, Ken hyung,” Hongbin nudged the vocalist, “grandpa’s grumpy. Let’s get it over and done with.”

 

Jaehwan pouted, but nodded anyway. They both got into position and were about to repeat the steps which Hakyeon pointed out, but was greeted with the sound of the remote control hitting the floor instead.

 

Five pairs of eyes stared at their leader, who had his hands tightly clenched into fists.

 

“Get it over and done with?” Hakyeon repeated Hongbin’s words, “so this isn’t important to you?”

 

“Hyung, wh—”

 

“Lee Hongbin, are you getting so cocky now that our group activities don’t matter to you anymore?”

 

Hongbin’s expression hardened as he stared at his leader.

 

“Why, did I hit bullseye?” Hakyeon pressed.

 

“Hakyeon-ah,” Taekwoon moved closer to his lifelong friend, “don’t.”

 

“Don’t say things you will regret, hyung,” Hongbin’s jaw clenched.

 

“I did, didn’t I?” the leader scoffed, “so you think you don’t need us anymore, huh?”

 

“N hyung, please, don’t say things like that,” Jaehwan shook his head.

 

“Shut up. I haven’t got to you yet, Lee Jaehwan.”

 

The younger vocalist’s eyes widened at the way his beloved hyung addressed him. No matter how angry Hakyeon got, he had never once spoke to any of them in such a tone.

 

“I know not all of us are amazing dancers, but everyone is putting in effort to perfect the choreography so why can’t you two do the same?!”

 

“You think we’re not putting in effort?” Hongbin muttered.

 

“N hyung, I think you’re going too far,” Wonshik stepped in, “please don’t say anything anymore.”

 

“Well, I definitely don’t see the effort you’re putting in given how you keep messing up the same part over and over again!”

 

“That’s it, I’m out of here.”

 

Hongbin stormed out of the studio, slamming the door behind him. Taekwoon sighed and told Sanghyuk to go after Hongbin. The maknae nodded and ran out after his hyung.

 

“Lee Jaehwan,” Hakyeon turned to the younger vocalist.

 

Taekwoon grabbed his friend’s arm and pulled him back, “Hakyeon, stop.”

 

“Let go of me, Jung Taekwoon. I’m doing my job as the leader here,” Hakyeon glared at Taekwoon, who refused to let go.

 

“What kind of leader are you if you’re putting us down like that?” Jaehwan spoke.

 

The remaining three members in the studio froze at his words.

 

“Lee Jaehwan, apologize right now,” Taekwoon demanded, “you know it’s not right to talk to your hyung like that.”

 

“Why should I apologize when hyung was the one who accused us first? Why am I always the one who takes the blame?!” Jaehwan yelled.

 

“Yah, Lee Jaehwan!” Taekwoon raised his voice, “shut up before you say anything stupid.”

 

“Oh, so you’re on his side too now, hyung?” Jaehwan scoffed, “of course, you’re lifelong friends, aren’t you?”

 

“Jaehwan, stop,” Wonshik pulled the vocalist back, “just stop.”

 

Jaehwan flung the rapper’s arms away, “I try so hard to not make any mistakes but does anyone even see all the work I put in? Nope. You always just tease me and say that I’m slow in learning. When I get upset you guys tease me even more. You don’t even see how I really feel!”

 

“Ken hyung…” Wonshik took a step closer to his favorite hyung, but Jaehwan backed away.

 

The younger vocalist glared at them with glistening eyes before he, too, ran out of the studio.

 

“You’ve gone too far, N hyung,” Wonshik sighed before chasing after Jaehwan.

 

It was silent between the two eldest members for a long while before Taekwoon spoke.

 

“Do you realize what you just did?”

 

“Don’t start on me, Taekwoon.”

 

“Just so you know, I am not taking any sides. Yes, the kids are at fault as well but you, you’ve gone over the line this time, Hakyeon-ah.”

 

Hakyeon turned away from his friend and remained silent.

 

Taekwoon huffed, “I hope you realize this isn’t the same as the petty fights we always have. You started it, you find a way to resolve this mess. We don’t have much time left until our concert and comeback, keep that in mind. Until then, I will take care of those kids and make sure they turn up for every practice session.”

 

Their dorm had never been quieter than the past week had been. Conversation was minimal, even between the members who weren’t involved in the fight. In the day, it was only Hakyeon, Hongbin and Sanghyuk who were at home since the main vocalists had their respective musical practices and Wonshik was always at his personal studio.

 

Sanghyuk had tried to play the peacemaker but it didn’t work. Hongbin pretty much got up and left the apartment, saying he would be at Wonshik’s studio. They never saw him at home for the rest of the week after that, except when he came home to sleep. When the maknae tried to talk to their leader, he was always greeted with the door shutting in his face.Sanghyuk then knew the situation was grave, because Hakyeon never closes his room door.

 

Taekwoon, who shared the same vehicle with Jaehwan when they headed out for musical practice, would try to coax the younger vocalist. Jaehwan would usually listen, but it seemed he was really very affected this time that he refused to budge.

 

Over at Wonshik’s studio, the rapper would also try to persuade his friend to talk things out with their leader. Hongbin, being the stubborn person he is, turned a deaf ear on his friend. He chose to spend the time playing with Wonshik’s puppy instead.

 

----

 

“Sorry, did you wait long?” Wonshik sat at the table where Sanghyuk was already at.

 

Please log in to read the full chapter