Chapter 2

Bittersweet Memories
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

(December 2006)

 

I sat inside my car staring at an old rusty building in front of me with my eyes almost popping out.  Right across from the building was a small cemetery.  Shivers went down my spine as I closed my eyes.  I ing hated cemeteries.  It reminded me of my younger sister CL.  Tears started swelling up in my eyes as flashback of her bloody face came back to my mind.  I quickly shook those thoughts away as I opened the door and dragged my feet towards the building. 

I was forced to come out here by my supervisor to get familiarized with my two new coworkers and the building itself before the new year started.  I’m a very friendly and outgoing person, so we’re all going to get along, right?  Boy, was I ever wrong.

As I opened the front door and stepped inside, I saw nothing but smoke.  It was like a damn fog in here.  How the was I going to survie with this much smoke?  

There was a total of 72 slot machines and approximately 30 customers gambling their life savings away.  I swear to god, why do old people waste their social security money here?  Why don't they go on vacation?  Oh wait, they're OLD.  They can't travel far.  They're the ones that are paying my paycheck, so I shouldn't be complaining.  I should be thankful that this job is secured.     

“Hayi!  You’re finally here!” a happy voice shouted.

“Hi Sean!” I said, waving my hand at him.  As soon as I got closer to him, he gave me a bear hug and said, “Girl, it’s been a while since we last worked together.  How have you been?”

“I’ve been doing well.  And yourself?”

“Well, since you asked, I’ve been alright.  I’m counting down the days until retirement,” he replied, with a huge grin on his face.

“Seriously Sean?  You’re that old already?  You look like you’re in your early 40’s,” I joked.

“Really?”

I giggled, “Okay, maybe not in your 40’s, but 50’s.”

“Girl, you hurt my feelings,” he said, pretending to be upset.

“I’m kidding Sean,” I quickly said, not sure if he was really upset or not.  Old people tend to get sensitive about their age and the last thing I need is to have him file a complaint against me. 

“Don’t worry about it Hayi.  I was just messing with you.  Since you’re going to be my relief, let me give you a tour.”

I gave him a lopsided smile, “Sure.”

“You’ll like it out here Hayi.  Trust me,” he said, patting my shoulder.  “It’s not as bad as you think it is,” he stated.

Yeah right, I thought, following him towards the employee breakroom.

(30 minutes later)

“Ah, our second shift security officer is here,” Sean said, pointing his finger towards the door.

I was too busy trying to sign my employee card in that I didn’t bother to look.  “That’s nice.  I’ll introduce myself to her later.”

“You mean, him?” he corrected me, chuckling.

I scratched my head, “Oh, my bad.  I thought I we were going to have a female security officer since our cashier was a female.”

“Their Sergeant always post male officers out here.  You hardly see any female officers working out here,” he explained.

I raised my eye brow at him, “Why is that?”

“One, this building is out in the middle of nowhere.  Two, the roads out here when it’s snowing.  And finally, the power goes out at least once or twice during the summer,” he replied, clocking out.

“WHAT?!  Are you ing kidding me?!” I yelled.  My eyes widen as a few customers turned their heads towards me.  .  I bit my lips and hissed, “Please tell me you’re lying to me.”

Sean shook his head, “I’m not Hayi.  I’m telling you the truth.”

If the power goes out on all the slot machines, that means I’m stuck dealing with crabby customers.  Great.  Just what I needed.  I face palmed my forehead and mumbled, “I hate my supervisors right now.”

He laughed out loud, “Look on the bright side.  You’ll have your security officer to help you out if these customers are rude to you.”

I was too busy cursing my supervisors in my head that I didn’t realize my security officer was staring at me. 

“Hey there Hanbin!  Are y

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter