FIN.

My Boy

 

The remaining trainees had just finished filming their stage performances. The day has finally ended. Everyone gave their 101% in their respective crafts, including Yoon Jisung who managed to keep a straight face throughout his ballad performance. It’s time for the trainees’ long awaited rest. God knows it’s what they sacrificed to secure a seat in the program, Produce 101. It is brutal but it’s their chance at redemption. If it’s the only way for them to debut, they will dig through until their nails wear off.

Daniel walks side by side with Park Jihoon to their quarters. He feels his phone vibrating for the nth time after he stepped off the stage. His girlfriend just won’t stop texting him. If only her texts were messages of encouragement. She keeps on asking him if he’s already at his dorm. No matter how much he wants to ignore her nonsensical questions, he replies back.

“Turn your phone off if it gets too annoying, hyung.” Jihoon eyes Daniel’s phone as the older phone slides it to his back pocket.

“It’s okay. She’ll probably stop when she falls asleep.” Daniel shakes his head, still grateful for Jihoon’s advice.

“What if she doesn’t stop?” Jihoon asks.

“I’ll just call her to see if she needs anything.” Daniel says too seriously that convinced Jihoon he’s telling that truth.

“You’re such a good boyfriend, hyung. You don’t tell her off?”

“As much as I possible, I steer away from tension. Plus, my girlfriend doesn’t deserve it. Heck, no one deserves it.” Daniel shrugs before flashing a smile at Jihoon.

 

 

Meanwhile, Minrin’s in a cab, telling the driver which way to go. Even if MNET’s a huge broadcasting station, they really made sure their trainees are shut away from the crowd’s unwanted attention.

“You can turn right here. And then, a left. No! Another right, I mean. Ah, .” Minrin’s half sitting by this time, pointing at the driver which way to go. The driver, who seems like he is in his late 50’s, can only sigh. He wishes he could have sped off when he saw her.

“Miss, do you really know where we’re going? Why don’t you just call your boyfri—“ The poor old driver asks before he is cut off by Minrin’s determined speech.

“No! It’s a surprise. He deserves one right now. That’s why we must get there in a nick of time. We haven’t seen each other in months, mister. And you will aid our love drought.” At the promise of heroism, the old man grows resolute and steps on the gas.

Daniel fiddles with his phone as he waits for his turn in the bathroom when a new message pulls him out of his boredom. It’s his girlfriend, Minrin, asking where he is.

He grows exasperated at the repetitive questions but it’s Minrin, his girlfriend. How can he possibly be mad at her? Unless if she’s awake at an ungodly hour. Doesn’t she have classes tomorrow? Didn’t she cry to him over the university that accepted her scholarship? Why is she still awake?

He replies accordingly.

 

 

Minrin arrives at the site. The exterior looks like it is pulled out from a manhwa or something. The interior may not look as good (she watches the show and does not think favorably of the rooms) but it works. As long as MNET’s feeding her boyfriend well, she will not start a civil war.

Despite everything that MNET has ever done for Daniel, she can’t help but worry over her boyfriend. He doesn’t contact her as much anymore and she knows very well that the trainees have access to their mobiles. There are also the countless scandals the other trainees have gone through that resulted some to leave. Minrin knows her boyfriend very well. Even if he is the stereotypical strong Busan man, Kang Daniel is a softie. He gets affected easily. Not too long ago, she received a text from Daniel about his fellow MMO trainees, Kim Jaehan and Choi Taewoong, getting eliminated from the show.

She also misses him. It’s been a while since they’ve seen each other. Back when Daniel was still Kang Euigeon, they barely had enough time to see each other because they were both busy with school and training. Minrin is guilty that she hasn’t done her part as a girlfriend yet. It’s always Daniel cheering her on with an energy drink and a packed lunch whenever she’s cramming. Now, in possibly the biggest break of her boyfriend’s career, Minrin wants to be there for him even if it means skipping class tomorrow.

Minrin receives a reply from Daniel.

 

Minrin texts back cheekily, hinting him she’s at the premises. Daniel replies, but Minrin’s not responding anymore. He jolts up from his seat. Forget washing up. His girlfriend might just be in the area. He grabs a jacket, face mask and a scarf for Minrin, just in case. Just when he’s about to leave, Jisung opens the door, startling the younger one.

Hyung, what the heck?” Daniel exclaims, holding a hand to his heart.

“Why act so surprised?” Jisung’s eyes widen as his pout deepens. Iconic. Daniel can’t help but laugh.

“What is it? Do you need anything?” Upon coming back to his senses, Daniel asks Jisung if he needs anything. It is an unlikely visit after all.

“I saw Minrin outside. Are you kiddos off to a romantic midnight rendezvous?” Jisung grins mischievously, earning a bump to his shoulder from Daniel.

“I just received her text. I’m off to meet her now.” Daniel smiles boyishly, his eyes on the ground. It’s been a while since he last felt excited for something. It’s been a while since he last felt like a boy.

Jisung steps aside to give way for Daniel. Daniel waves off as he leaves hurriedly.  

 

 

Minrin rubbed her palms together as she patiently waits by the fountain. It’s stupid of her to wear a skirt for Daniel but it’s been months since the boys inside saw a woman’s legs. She thinks it is okay. It’s not like Daniel will allow his fellow trainees to take a look at her. Minrin blushes at the thought of her protective boyfriend.

Soon enough, a pair of strong long arms wraps around her waist followed by a chin resting on her shoulder. Minrin bites back a big goofy smile. She stays still and quiet before placing her hands on top of the man’s. It only feels like home. She turns around to meet faces with the stranger and finds herself smiling more. He’s wearing that silly old grin she loves seeing. Unlike her who’s biting back her smile, Daniel was unapologetically happy. What is there to hold back for, anyway?

Daniel embraces her one last time before lifting her up in the air. Minrin covers to suppress her squeals. It feels so good to be with your love once more. It’s like being a child again. Daniel kisses her forehead as he sets her down carefully.

All of a sudden, Minrin tears up. She doesn’t realize how much she misses him. It’s mandatory for couples to say they miss each other, of course. Thing is, they both haven’t experienced it before. They were always at an arm’s reach. They were never apart until now.

Daniel notices her tears and quickly pulls her to a nearby building’s side. Last thing they want is a controversy. When they arrive at a safe place, Daniel pulls his mask down and wipes Minrin’s tears. She wraps her arms around his torso, never wanting to let go again. Daniel softens a little and gently pats his girlfriend’s back.

“Minrin.” Daniel whispers, his hand still patting Minrin’s back.

“God, I miss you so much.” Minrin says tearfully to his chest. She looks up to see Daniel looking at her. It looks as if he’s thinking hard. He’s staring at her, but not really seeing. Horror dawns upon Minrin.

“Oh, no no no no no. No, Kang Euigeon. No. Do you hear me?” Minrin releases herself from Daniel. Daniel is momentarily stunned from the loss of affection. He wakes up from his bubble.

“I didn’t say anything.” He raises his arms in defense.

“You’re not leaving this show, okay? I’m fine. I’m a big girl.” Minrin waves her pointer finger while shaking her head.

“But you’re lonely and it breaks my heart.” Daniel reaches out for affection. Minrin steps back.

“I’m not going to let you sabotage your dreams for me. I love you. Even if it hurts, I still love you. Do you understand, Kang Euigeon? You’re doing so well.”

“Am I?” Daniel sighs. He looks up at the starry sky and feels a moment of calm.

“What are you saying? You’re doing a great job, baby. I’ve never been so proud. You mom frequently contacts me, saying how much happiness you’re giving your family just by standing on stage. It’s not an easy industry, but look at you killing it anyways.” Minrin holds Daniel’s face in her hands, making the young man look at her. Daniel knows she’s not lying. Whenever she does that, it means she’s being genuine. And maybe that’s what he needs right now—genuine love from the most genuine people he knows.

Minrin bites her lip as she stares at him. He’s gotten so much more handsome upon entering the survival show. She actually feels shy as she makes eye contact with him. Daniel can’t help but divert his focus on Minrin’s lips so he kissed her.

As Minrin’s eyes closes, her hand falls down to his chest, resting on the place where she would always be. Her other hand moves to his neck, massaging it lovingly, careful not to get tangled by his necklace. Daniel puts an arm around Minrin’s back to push her closer to him, aching for more intimacy. Minrin moans a little at Daniel’s unquestionable hunger and lust. He’s spending far too much time with boys that she can taste the deprivation in his mouth. Daniel’s moving with so much haste in that it catches her off guard. All of a sudden, her hand on her neck moves to Daniel’s hair, ruining it as she latches on for her dear life. How could Kang Daniel give and take at the same time? What a talented son-of-a-gun. She feels his groan in as she caressed his chest. Minrin’s starting to get frustrated as she craves for more.

Daniel pulls back to catch some air and realizes what he just did. It isn’t their first kiss, but it certainly is the first time they kissed with such audacity.

Both agreed to stop whatever just happened.

“This is why you should visit me when you’re free. You’re turning into an animal here.” Minrin says as she fixes Daniel’s shirt which crumpled a bit.

“Maybe I just missed you so much.” Daniel smiles sheepishly, catching Minrin off guard.

“You drive me crazy, you know that.” She shakes her head in disbelief, her smile never leaving her face.

“You drive me crazier, Minrin.” Daniel walks Minrin to the sidewalk to wait for a cab.

“I love you.” Minrin hugs Daniel from his side, feeling a tad sad that they have to part again.

“I love you. Call me when you get home.” Daniel returns the hug, tighter than Minrin’s. Daniel sees a cab and hails it for his girlfriend. When the cab arrives in front of them, Daniel opens the door for her. Minrin smiles gratefully.

“Also, if you can’t win it for yourself, win it for me. Win it for your family. Win it for the nation.” Minrin says upon sitting.

“Got that, babe.” Daniel crouches to look and her and smiles.

“Good boy.” She says before Daniel closes the door shut.

 

That night, the boys in his room won’t shut up about his “romantic midnight rendezvous” with his girlfriend. To not his surprise, it’s Jisung who released the information. All he knows is that he’s ready to face whatever challenges that will come his way. Bring it on.