Final

Sober

"He's drunk. Can you pick him-"

"I'll be there," I interrupt the person on the other line. I sigh and hang up, looking at the messy house he caused a few hours ago. I grab my car keys and hand phone before going out of the apartment, making sure I lock the door before driving off to a club I'm so familiar with.

When I arrive at the club, the guards let me in without bothering to make me que in line. They're used to the situation I put myself in. The loud music blasting through the speakers make me feel numb. It doesn't have any effect on me anymore. I don't feel the adrenaline and hype I used to get. The sight of people grinding on each other also, doesn't make me feel disgusted as much.

I pass by the sea of crowds to go to one particular table. The table he always hangs out at. His friends greet me with enthusiasm, probably happy they don't have to babysit my drunk boyfriend anymore. I step closer to the said man. The first 3 buttons of his shirt is undone, showing girls a peak of what he has to offer. I dismiss the thought, too tired to be jealous.

"Baekhyun baby," I slap his cheeks lightly. He groans and opens his eyes slowly. "Help me out, ok? I can't carry you by myself." He grumbles but nonetheless slings his arm around my shoulder as I support him to my car. I put him shotgun and fasten his seatbelt before going to the driver's seat.

"Where are we going," he asks.

"Home."

♦♦♦♦♦♦♦♦♦♦♦♦♦♦

 

"I don't get why you're letting him do this to you," the guard of my apartment complains as he help me carry Baekhyun to the bed. "This is the 3rd time this week you picked him up from the club. And today's Friday. If I were you Miss, I'd long left him."

I smile. "Thank you for helping me again, Mr. Lee," I don't want to comment on what he said about leaving him. I couldn't. And I won't. Only if he tells me to leave then I will.

Mr. Lee sighs. He has tried so many times to make me realize I'm wasting my time with my boyfriend. Everyone tried to make me realize it, but failed. They don't know what I know. They don't see him the way I do.

"Baby," Baekhyun calls when I step into the room after sending Mr.Lee out. "Come here," My heart tingles. I hate picking him up at clubs. But, I love it when he's drunk. He snuggles his head in the crook of my neck, taking in my scent before gently placing a kiss on my forehead. "Why do you look so pretty tonight?” He pouts. “I'm sorry I said those mean things to you earlier and turned our house upside down.

My heart swells in adoration, the feeling I never get when he's sober. I like him drunk more than he's sober. He doesn't know how to love me when he's sober. When he's drunk, he says the sweetest, mushiest things one who gag but get jealous at.

I cuddle closer to him and he willingly scoops me up, whispering sweet nothings to my ear making me giggle like a high school girl. A drunk Baekhyun is definitely my favorite Baekhyun.

 

♦♦♦♦♦♦♦♦♦♦♦♦♦♦


It was my 2nd year of college when I met him. The whole class just finished a test and they wanted to release their tension by going to a club. I declined at first, wanting to get some sleep since I pulled an all-nighter the night before. Somehow, my friends managed to make me go.

I wore a tight royal blue dress that reached my mid thighs, hair in soft curls. It has only been 10 minutes since we entered the club, yet my friends had already abandoned me to hook up with dudes, leaving me to sit alone at the bar. Sipping on my vodka, my eyes wandered around the club. It was packed with people despite being Monday. I averted my gaze away from a couple who seemed like they were going do it on the dance floor.

"You're new here, aren't you?" A man took a seat beside me. From the way he swayed when he walked to the counter, I knew he was already drunk. He called the waiter and requested an expensive liquor drink I've never heard of before then turned his head to me with a dazzling smile. "Because I would never forget a pretty face like yours."

I rolled my eyes though my heart was pounding hard. Who wouldn't when they received a compliment from a cute guy? "Try harder then I'll at least smile and ask you to go away nicely. Go away."

His eyes twinkled in amusement at my remark. He threw his hands up in surrender. "My, my, aren't you a feisty one," I gave him an exasperated look and he chuckled. "The name's Baekhyun. What's yours, love?"

“I’ll tell you if you buy me drink.”

“No fair,” he whined, sounding just like a child not getting what he wants. I remained silent, still not giving him what he asked for. After a while he gave up. “Fine. I’ll buy you another if you give me your number.”

That was the first time I met him. We spent the whole night that day talking to each other, mostly joking around. I found out he was a decent guy to be around despite his flirty act. It was when we realized it was 4am he offered to drive me back home. I declined, but he insisted.


Our second meeting was purely coincidental. It was 2 weeks after our first encounter. We texted each other a lot after our first encounter, but no meeting was planned.

"I'm creeping in your heart babe~" my phone rang. I quickly picked it up. "Hello?"

"It really is you," the person on the other line said.

I frowned and pulled away from my phone to look at the caller id. It was Baekhyun. "Baekhyun? Why are you calling me? Are you ok?" My voice laced with worry. He never called me before.

"I'm fine," the voice coming from behind startled me. I turned around. My jaw dropped. "Surprise seeing me, sweetheart?"

Standing in front of me was Baekhyun. He looked as shocked as I was. I hung up and walked closer to him. He wore a grey hoodie and a pair of blue jeans.

"What are you doing here?" I asked.

"What am I doing here? What are you doing here? I've never seen you hanging around this area before. And to answer your question, remember the music store I told you I owned with some of my friends?" I nodded. "Well it's a few blocks from here."

I gasped. "So the music store is real?! I thought you were making it up to impress me!"

He laughed. "Oh sweetheart, you think too highly of yourself," I blushed. I didn't know why but my heart fluttered at the sound of his laughter. It was sweet and gruff at the same time. Especially when his mouth turned into a square. It was endearingly adorable.

We hang out at a near cafe. Only for a while because I had to get back to my college for a class. Nevertheless, the time we spent together that day was enjoyable and satisfying. I was sure he felt the same way too. There's not a moment where he didn't smile. Although I did noticed he was acting a bit distant compared to the first time we met.

 

♦♦♦♦♦♦♦♦♦♦♦♦♦♦


I smile when I recall the times we spent together, my hands drying up the dishes. The creaky sound of a door opening tells me Baekhyun is ready to go to work. I place the food I cooked (bacon and scrambled eggs) on the table and pour orange juice into his cup. He never likes drinking coffee in the morning, unless it's sweet. He can be such a baby at times.

"Good morning," he greets and takes a seat. I sit opposite of him. "Thanks for the hangover pills. I needed them."

I nod my head. He takes a bite of the scrambled eggs while reading the news on his phone. When he finished eating, I finally open my mouth. He gets annoyed if people bother him when he's eating. An annoyed Baekhyun is a big no-no.

"Baekhyun," he looks up from his phone to look at me. "I'll be Sehun's place tonight along with some of my other friends. I'll probably be back very late. We have a project to finish and it's due in 2 days. Can you... Please not go to the club tonight?" My eyes refuse to meet his, afraid my words offend him in some way I still couldn’t comprehend. I play with the leftovers on my plate.

He doesn't say anything for awhile. I can feel his eyes on me. It's not that I don't want him to get drunk. If only he knows how much I love it when he's drunk. The way the handles me with care and love makes me want to serve him alcohol 24/7. However, I can't afford to be disturbed, what more with finals coming up in 2 weeks.

He clears his throat. "Very well then. I won't," he stands up and leans forward to place a kiss on my forehead before leaving the house to go to his store.

My heart breaks. The kiss was different from last night. The affection I felt from him wasn't there. Why is it so different when we wake up? Same lips, same kiss but not the same touch. His touch is always different when he's sober. As if the emotions he feels when he's drunk and when he's sober are different.

 

♦♦♦♦♦♦♦♦♦♦♦♦♦♦

 

I arrive home at 2am, tired mentally and physically. It wasn't easy to finish a project up to my professor's standards. I hope to finally get some rest but when I opened the door to my shared apartment, the lights are on. I walk to the kitchen where Baekhyun is sitting at the kitchen counter, empty beer bottles surrounding him.

"You're back," he states and pours himself another drink. His eyes lazily roam my figure and stops at my face before giving me a sweet smile. I can feel my face heating up at the he looks at me; full of affection.

I take the half-empty bottle of beer from him before he gets to drink another. He whines but doesn't take the bottle back. "Go to bed first. I'll join you after I clean the bottles," he nods and clumsily walk to our room.

When I enter the room, he's already tucked himself in bed, not even bothering to change out of his reek-of-alcohol shirt. He opens his eyes when he hears my footsteps and sets his eyes on me. He smiles, a smile full of gratefulness. As if he's contented with life. As if he's genuinely happy with life.

I've never seen that smile on him when he's sober. Baekhyun is not the type of a person who's open about his feelings. In fact, he doesn’t share his emotions with anyone. Not his family, not his friends, not me. That's why I adore him when he's drunk. When he's sober, he keeps everything to himself. He keeps everyone out of what he thinks of. But it's a different story when he's drunk.

When the bottles done, he pulls me closer. He reveals everything he has kept to himself. That's when I truly know he wholeheartedly loves me. That's the side of him he never lets anyone see, except me. And that makes me feel special.

People usually become more cheerful and livelier as they get closer to a person. They tend to be more expressive of their feelings. But that's not the case for Baekhyun. It's the other way around for him. The more you get to know him, the quieter he gets. When you first get to know him, he smiles and laughs albeit you can still feel a small distance. But the closer you're to him, the bigger the distance gets.

He refuses to explain himself when I asked him why and threw a fit instead. He's got quite a temper. Though, he never laid his hands on me before.

Baekhyun immediately pulls me closer to him when I lay down on the bed after taking a bath, tangling his legs with mine. He pecks my lips repeatedly, making my heart flutter. As if sensing my heartbeat risen, he chuckles and look at me with adoration, then showering my face with kisses.

"Stop," I whine, though no intention of stopping him. "You smell like beer."

"Do you know why I drank so much just now?" He asks, still showering me with kisses. I shake my head. "Because darling, I saw a picture Sehun uploaded on Instagram a few hours ago with you. Someone commented that you guys make a cute couple," he growls lowly. His lips moves up to nibble my ear. "Do you know how jealous I was? How jealous I am right now?"

His face hardens. Despite knowing how horrible the green-eyed monster can be, I laugh. I feel elated to know that my boyfriend still loves me so much to get jealous of a comment.

"Why are you laughing? I'm being serious here. What if that comment makes you realize you prefer stupid tall broad-shoulder guys more instead of cute just-the-perfect-height-for-you me!" he whines childishly, gone the dark aura around him. He looks like an adorable puppy who’s begging it’s master for attention. Baekhyun looks so cute I can't help it but to cup his face and place a kiss firmly on his lips. He whines more but I can feel his lips curving. I know he loves kissing me. More when I'm the one who initiated the kiss first.

"You're just so adorable, Baekhyun," he grumbles cutely at my words. "Baby, we have been together for almost 2 years. Don't you think if I want to leave you, I would have done it long ago?"

"But-"

"No buts. I love you, ok. And I don't want anyone else but you. Now, enough with this. It's late already and it's your turn to open the store today. It's already 3am and you have 4 hours to sleep."

"Fine. But remember, you're mine," he states before falling into a deep slumber.

 

♦♦♦♦♦♦♦♦♦♦♦♦♦♦

 


My alarm clock rings. I groggily turn it off. I feel cold. Usually, when I wake up, I'd be staring at my boyfriend's face and would (with much regret) disentangled his arms and legs from mine. However, Baekhyun is nowhere to be seen. He never wakes up before me. I quickly scramble off bed to check the bathroom. I frown when the bathroom is empty. He probably left for work early, I thought.

A sound coming from outside my bedroom caught me off-guard. I grab the nearest thing I could get my hands on (which happens to be a mini hair dryer) and carefully leave my room, making sure I'm already dialling Baekhyun's number.

"Hello?" He picks up.

"Baekhyun," I whisper, taking baby steps to the kitchen where I suspect the intruder to be at. "Where are you? I think there's someone in our house and I think that person is in the kitchen."

"What do you mean?"

I can hear the confusion in his tone but I bear it no attention, too focused on being scared. "Call the police."

"Baby-"

"I'll try hit him as hard as possible, ok. Don't hang up. Record this call as proof in case something happens to me."

I didn't get to hear his reply because the sound of footsteps are getting closer to where I am. I gulp, feeling extremely terrified. I hide behind a wall, waiting for the right time to attack. The moment I know he's standing a few feet away from me, I jump out of my hiding spot and swing the hairdryer at the person only to stop halfway.

Baekhyun has a teasing smile as he eyes me and the hairdryer in my hand. At that moment I know, he will never let me live peacefully.

Turns out Baekhyun took a leave today. He told Chanyeol and Suho (his business partners) that he's not feeling well. Though he assures me he's as healthy as an ox and just said that to skip work. I eye him weirdly as he explains and sets up the table for breakfast. He's exceptionally happy today. Not once did he stop smiling. I wonder what's up with him. The way he's acting right now is how he acted in our first few months of dating before he started to drift away.

"Did something good happened?" I couldn't hide in my curiosity. Baekhyun chuckles. I gape at him and my eyes frantically search for a particular bottle (or bottles). He seems to enjoy my frantic behaviour and lets out a hearty laugh. I narrow my eyes at him. "Are you drunk?"

Can't blame me for asking that. He rarely laughs when he's sober. Even Chanyeol, the jokester, failed to make him laugh.

Baekhyun rolls his eyes at my question. "No, I'm not drunk. Why would you-"

"You're laughing!" I pointed out exaggeratingly. He raises his eyebrow as if not getting my point. "You don't laugh, Baekhyun. Unless you're drunk."

He nods. "I just thought... I needed to change. Do you... Not like it?"

He sounded so scared, so insecure waiting for my answer my heart blooms with adoration for him. He's just so awkwardly cute. But that doesn't mean I'm not curious of the sudden change. However, I'm not going to ruin the moment by asking him. I'll embrace his sudden changes. I don't know how long happy Baekhyun will last so might as well enjoy every moment of it before he distances himself away from me again.

We eat our breakfast in silence. Constantly giving each other shy glances. It's like when I first moved in with him; Everything's peachy and heart fluttering. He's not afraid to show his true emotions nor is he shutting me out from his thoughts.

After breakfast and 2 hours of cuddling and me telling my friends I'm not going to class because I'm sick (like boyfriend like girlfriend), Baekhyun suggests we spend the day at the mall since we haven't gone on a date for a while. And I, being the love-struck puppy, of course agree with that. He pick my clothes for me; a dark blue knee-length hoodie dress to match his dark blue shirt. We look horrifyingly adorable.

By the time we reach the mall, it is already 3pm (the boy takes a longer time to get ready than his girlfriend but I'm not complaining. He looks smashing hot with his hair gelled up in the most fine way). Baekhyun's a gentleman for letting me choose what to have for lunch. We easily enter the sushi restaurant without waiting to be seated since rush hour is over.

While waiting for our food, I heard someone call my name so I turn around. Sehun grins as he walks to my table, obviously happy to see me and oblivious to the frowning Baekhyun when he flops down beside me.

"You're sick,huh?" Sehun eyes me teasingly. He places the back of his hand to my forehead. "Oh wow, so hot. My hand is burning can you see that? It’s turning red!”

I blush, embarrassed he caught my lie. "Stop it."

Sehun notices Baekhyun looking at him (glaring actually but with his baby face, it barely passes as a glare) and introduces himself.

"Hey, ssup. Sehun,"

Baekhyun doesn't say anything. He just stares at Sehun's hand that's waiting to be shake.

I let out a nervous laugh, sensing my boyfriend's mood dampen. Not wanting Sehun to feel awkward, I shake his hand instead. Sehun, never being able to control his bluntness, says, "Are you mute,bro?"

I swear Baekhyun almost strangled the man but luckily the waiter bring our food on time.

"Yay food!" Sehun cheers and takes a pair of chopstick for himself and shamelessly steal my food. I hit his hand with my chopstick when he takes another slice of my sashimi. He pouted. "Sharing is caring," he whines and juts out his bottom lip more in an attempt to look cuter. I gag.

"Get your own food," Baekhyun snaps when Sehun won't stop whining. Baekhyun's irritation for Sehun is probably caused by the photo of me and him he posted yesterday. If there's one emotion Baekhyun never hides when he's not intoxicated, it's jealousy. I can mentally see Baekhyun stabbing Sehun with his chopsticks.

"Sheesh, grumpy much," Sehun rolls his eyes. He calls the waiter to take his order. After ordering, Sehun turns to me and open his mouth widely. "Feed me. Ahh~"

I stare warily at my boyfriend who's looking at me with a don't-you-dare face. But Sehun is a tenacious devil. He whines more, now shaking his head from side to side I feel like puking at what he assumes as a “cute” behaviour. I place my hand on Baekhyun's and give him a sorry look before I feed Sehun. Sehun's sends a victory smile to Baekhyun and if it weren't for me interlacing my hand with him, he would've long throw a punch at the boy.

I thought after lunch Sehun would finally leave Baekhyun and I alone so we could continue our date in peace and I could calm down my frustrated boyfriend. But where's the fun in that? Sehun refuses to leave, saying he wants to hang out with us and by us he meant me.

Every time Baekhyun gets close to me, Sehun would purposely walk in between us and push Baekhyun away. The only thing that's keeping Baekhyun from killing Sehun is because we are in a public place. My boyfriend is really conscious of his reputation. Sehun keeps dragging me to every store he seems interested in, leaving Baekhyun to walk alone. Seconds becomes minutes. Minutes becomes hours. I can feel Baekhyun returning back to his usual-self. The gap between us that's invisible hours ago, returns back. I feel sad I couldn't thoroughly enjoy his happiness and now it disappears.

Nevertheless, I couldn't just ask Sehun to go away. He's one of my closest friend in my college and he just got dumped by his girlfriend a few days ago. Although he looks smiley from the outside, I'm sure he's actually masking the pain.

"Sehun," I say. We are standing outside a store near the toilet waiting for Baekhyun. "Why are you doing this? You were never this touchy nor were you this nice before," I grab my handbag from his hand. "You made my boyfriend upset and I'm sure you noticed it too, jerk."

Instantly Sehun's smile vanish. He sighs. "I did it on purpose. I know you've been picking him up from clubs almost everyday," I'm about to feign innocent but he cuts me off. "Stop acting like it's not true. Almost every time I go to SM Club, I see you dragging him out. I'm doing this to make him realize he should treasure you and treat you nicely before you leave him." I'm embarrassed. Embarrassed that my friend saw me picking up my boyfriend from clubs. Embarrassed of him knowing how my boyfriend acts. Sehun and I see Baekhyun walking out of the toilet. "Trust me on this, ok?" He murmurs and puts on a smile again.

"Well this has been a really great day," Sehun grins, his eyes twinkling with mischief. He swings his arm around my shoulder. The scowl on my boyfriend's face hardens. "Oh no," he gasps dramatically. "It's already 7pm. I should get home now." He kisses my cheek, making sure to make a loud smooching sound. Both mine and Baekhyun's eyes widen, shock at Sehun's bold move. "Adios amigos."

 

♦♦♦♦♦♦♦♦♦♦♦♦♦♦

 

Baekhyun doesn't say anything the entire ride home. I couldn't read his expression but I know for sure what he's feelings isn't anything close to rainbows and unicorns. I get down from the car first, thinking he would follow after. But after I close the car's door, he speeds down the street of Seoul, not even bother telling me where he's going.

I can feel the eyes of the security guard, Mr.Kim, looking at me with sympathy. I cover my face with my hair and hurriedly walk to my apartment room. I clean myself up and go to the living room, refusing to go to sleep until Baekhyun's back. It's already 2am but he's still not back yet. I constantly check my phone, hoping one of his friends would call me and tell me to pick up my boyfriend like always.

Baekhyun arrives home an hour later. Although I'm standing 10 feet away from him, he reeks of alcohol. He wobbles his way inside and the apartment and stops when he sees me looking at him.

"Why are you still awake, baby?" He frowns. I shake and head and help him to our bedroom where he lies down on the bed. His eyes following my every move as I take a towel and a small basin filled with warm water. He moans in appreciation as I wipe his face and arms.

"Why did you drink so much?" He looks like he had more than 10 shots of vodka.

He takes my hand and put it on his hair, initiating me to play with it. I comply. "Nothing you should worry your pretty little head about." He says it in a tone so soft I don't know whether he meant that in a sarcastic way or not.

"Stop drinking everyday,please," I beg. "It's not good for you. What if you get sick or something?"

"How can I when it’s the only way I can clear my thoughts. I can't find another way."

"How about talking to me about it?" I murmur, I stop wiping his arm. "Why won't you talk to me? Why do you keep distancing yourself away from me? During the day you treated me so coldly. But in the night, when the bottles done,you pulled me closer. Why are you doing this to me, Baekhyun? Why can't you love me when you're sober?" I search his eyes that’s avoiding mine. I am close to tears but he still remains quiet.

He sighs loudly and sits up, his back facing me. I grow worried when he rubs his face with his hands frustratingly. I place my hand on his shoulder but he shrug it off. I stare at his back, hurt by his actions. I'll never understand his mood swings. Just this morning he was like a cute puppy begging for attention. Now, he pushes me away. I sniff, moving my eyes to control my tears from falling.

Baekhyun, realizing his mistake, turns around and cradles my face in his hands. He looks so pained by me crying my tears wouldn't stop. I feel like a bother to him. I feel like a bad girlfriend who couldn't accept her boyfriend's flaws.

"Baby, stop crying, please. I'm sorry," he lays us down. He uses his hand as my pillow and kisses my tears. "I didn't mean it."

"Tell me what's going on in your mind. Tell me why you keep changing your personality. You keep telling me you love me, but, do you really? Are the emotions you show when you're intoxicated real? Or was it just a lie? I know I should leave," when I say that he looks at me with fear. I continue. "But your love's too good."

Baekhyun closes his eyes. I know he's thinking about a lot of stuff, including the truth. "I... Don't know how to love you when I'm sober. That's why I always get drunk."

 

 


Author's note:

Ok, I do understand that's not a proper ending but, this story is based on the song 'Sober' and that's all I could write when I listened to the song. It's complicated. Both the song and the fanfic. I can't think of the reasons why he can only love her when he's drunk. So, that's it lmao.