Umbrella: the best weapon in the world

Umbrella: the best weapon in the world

Dancing was awfully draining. Why did he even major in it?

Jimin mentally kicked himself as he dragged his exhausted body to his apartment. He always loved dancing and when he finally got the opportunity to perform in front of a huge crowd he was on cloud nine. Dancing helped him to express himself while simultaneously relaxing. Except today’s practice was far from being relaxing. The main dancer of their crew broke his leg the previous day so Jimin had to take his spot. It basically meant learning a new choreo a day before the performance. They have been practicing 6 hours straight.  Even in his worst nightmare Jimin couldn’t have come up with a worse scenario. He and Hoseok did the entire choreo so many times they could no longer move. Hoseok was lying on the floor motionless when Jimin exited the studio. He was glad that unlike Hoseok, he was bale to drag himself to his apartment.

He was pretty near to his apartment complex when he noticed the darkness surrounding him. Apparently the streetlight got crushed by a car, so the whole street was in darkness. Jimin would have been terrified had it not been his tiredness. The only thing that mattered to him was that he was a block away from his comfy bed. He wondered what Taehyung ordered that day. His best friend always made sure he ate his dinner. Even today, when he was going home at the ungodly hour of 11 pm, he knew that there would be a meal waiting for him. Honestly, what more could he want from life than his best-friend. He was truly blessed. Maybe he should buy a present for Taehyung.

He was passing through a narrow alley when he felt a hand on his shoulder. Of course out of all days that Jimin could have been robbed, it would be today when he was neither able to fight back, nor to run. Life .

Luckily he had his umbrella in his hand (not that he liked using umbrellas but Taehyung made him take one since it had been raining all week). There wasn’t time to think. He turned around and smacked the person right in the face with his umbrella. The person immediately put his hands on his nose; it was bleeding. Now it was the right time to run away except Jimin’s legs were barely walking. The person on the other hand was still in front of him, his back crouched and his hands bloody.

“What the ing ! What is your problem dude?” asked the guy while trying to straighten himself.

It was too dark to see his face properly, but Jimin could easily guess he was pissed, which was kind of weird. Shouldn’t it be the vice verse?

“What is my problem? What is your problem?! Do you think you can get away with stealing people’s stuff?,” said Jimin trying to sound as stern as he could, which wasn’t too easy because of his very high-pitched voice. Curse his childish voice and even more childish hands. He wasn’t made for this cruel world.

The guy stared at him (Jimin guessed he did) before saying;

“You ing idiot. Your backpack is open. I came up to tell you to close it or you’d loose your , moron,” the man sounded more pissed by every minute.

 Jimin’s eyebrows shot up in surprise. He quickly took off his backpack only to see it wide open. His cloths would have fallen if they weren’t so sweaty. He looked at the guy who still had his hands around his injured nose, then at his backpack, then at the guy again.

.

“Oh my God, I’m so sorry, oh my God. I –I thought you were going to rob me ,” Jimin was panicking.

“So much for trying to be a good person,” mumbled the guy before trying to touch his nose to see if it was broken.

He winced as soon as he touched it and Jimin could easily claim that never in his entire life he felt this bad.

“Oh my God, are you alright?,” asked Jimin apologetically.

“Do I ing look alright to you?,” replied the guy.

Jimin could see why it was a stupid question.

“Let me help you. I live in an apartment nearby. I can mend your nose.”

“The same way you broke it? Nah, I’m good,” the boy tried to walk away but Jimin caught him by his forearm.

“Look, I’m really sorry for what I did. I really thought you were going to rob me. Please, let me help to fix this,” pleaded Jimin.

The boy kept quiet; probably thinking if it was safe to go to a stranger’s house, a stranger who only a few seconds later broke your nose.

“You need to stop the bleeding quickly. I can help you with that. Please let me help,” Jimin pulled his best puppy-eyes even if the other boy probably couldn’t see it.

“, whatever. It’s not that you can do anything worse,” said the boy.

“How are you so sure of that?” asked Jimin in a slightly offended voice.

“Because your arms are weak as . If it had been anyone else smacking me with an umbrella I’d be unconscious already,” the boy sounded as if he was smirking, but then he winced again and tried to control his face.

“Hey, I’m just tired, alright? I could definitely smack you unconscious.”

 Jimin’s pride was hurt deeply. How dare the stranger question his smacking abilities?

“Are you really boasting to me that you could smack me better than you did now?” the boy said incredulously.

Jimin’s blushed with shame. Luckily the street was too dark to see anything. Jimin cleared his throat before saying;

“Ah, sorry. So are you coming to my apartment?”

“Do you need a signed agreement or what?” replied the boy curtly.

Jimin couldn’t really blame him. He himself would be pissed if he tried to help someone and get an umbrella on his face instead.

“Are you going to move anytime soon?”

, Jimin was too tired to move and think at the same time.

“Y-yeah. We need to go down this road.”

The other boy looked at the direction of the apartment and begun walking. Jimin tried to follow before he heard the stranger’s mocking voice;

“Hey, moron, your bag is still open.”

Jimin blushed once again as he zipped up his backpack. This was officially the worst day he ever had.

xxx

The street lights on Jimin’s block were working so he could finally see what the other boy looked like. Honestly even if Jimin did see him before smacking, he’d still think he was a robber. He was dressed all black with a black cap on his head. He had small, sharp eyes and his overall aura was cold and arrogant. Jimin couldn’t really see his hair but from what he saw his hair was black. Jimin thought his black hair must have looked well with the boy’s pale skin. He wanted to see more of the boy’s face but his hand was still holding his nose, as if it could fall off anytime soon. The boy’s fingers were bloody and Jimin silently prayed the boy wouldn’t press charges against him.

“Admiring your work?” said the boy not bothering to look at Jimin.

Jimin momently turned his head around, ashamed at being caught. The other boy snorted and everything was quiet once again. Jimin was too busy staring ahead to notice the other boy steal glances at him.

xxx

 

The apartment was silent. Taehyung was at Jungkook’s again. He was glad the couple decided to stay at Jungkook’s because he wasn’t sure he’d ever live the story down if Jungkook knew about it too.

He ushered the boy inside and told him to sit on the sofa. The apartment was pretty small. A tiny living room just enough for a sofa and a TV, an even smaller kitchen and two bedrooms. Small, but enough for two people.

Jimin went to his room to fetch the fist aid kit. Now more than ever he he was glad that his older brother was an overprotective mother hen, who not only forced Jimin to buy a first aid kit, but also taught him how to heal the most basic injuries. He was very thankful to the fact that Seokjin was a nurse.

He went back to the living room to find the guy in the same position he left him.  Jimin sat beside him just close enough to mend the wound and far enough not to make things awkward between them. He raised his hands to the boys face, but the other pulled away giving him a stinky eye.

“I need to remove your hands so I can look at your wound. Don’t worry, if I wanted to do something else, I wouldn’t bother bringing a first aid kit,” said Jimin waving the first aid kit in front of the boy’s face.

The boy’s face didn’t change much but he came closer and slowly put his hands down. Jimin looked at the wound carefully. The bleeding was pretty bad, but at least the nose wasn’t crooked. Thank God, it wasn’t broken.

Jimin sighed with relief before putting the kit on the table. He cupped the boy’s face to tip his head slightly forward so he wouldn’t drink his own blood.

“You know, you could at least ask me for a date first,” said the boy smiling slightly.

“To be honest, you don’t look like a date material right now,” said Jimin on his way to the refrigerator.

“And whose fault is that again?”

“Dude, just let it go. I apologized already.”

Jimin took the icepack from the freezer and came to sit beside the boy again.

“Let go the same way you let go of the umbrella?”

“Jeez, are you always this whiny or I’m just very lucky today?”

“Today I’m the lucky one.”

He stretched his hand to the boy’s face again. He flinched before remembering their conversation and sat back in his place. Jimin carefully put his thumb and his forefinger on the soft parts of the boy’s nose and looked at the time. 11:45. He needed to hold it like that for 10 minutes. He gave the icepack to the boy and instructed him to hold it on his cheek. Suddenly everything became awkward.

Here he was after a long tiresome dance practice pinching a stranger’s nose as the latter looked around his house. Not his typical Thursday but he stopped getting weirded out by things a long time ago.

Both were sitting on the sofa, faces a few inches apart, both trying hard not to look at the other. It was only 11:46. Crap.

Jimin could no longer handle the tension.

“I’m Jimin.”

“Yoongi.”

“How old are you?”

“24. You?”

“22.”

They went silent again. What else he could ask a stranger about?

A few seconds later the other boy…no Yoongi spoke;

“So, if you are so scared of being robbed, why were you going home so late?” the boy talked very lazily and Jimin wondered if it was because of the pinched nose or it was his personal style.

“I finished my dance practice later than usual.”

“Oh, you dance?” for the first time that night Yoongi’s eyes shined with interest.

“Yeah. Actually I’m majoring in it. What are you studying?”

“Music composition,” said the boy with barely hidden pride in his voice.

“Music?” Jimin didn’t know why but it was the last thing he expected to hear.

“Yeah, why are you so surprised? Do I not look like a promising producer?” asked Yoongi narrowing his eyes.

“You look like a promising mess.”

Yoongi snorted at that. They went quiet again, but this time it wasn’t awkward. They just stared at each other. Jimin saw his face more clearly and he decided that the boy in front of him had to be one of the handsomest boys he had ever seen. His eyes were catching and he didn’t even try to stop himself from openly staring at them. At least the other boy was doing the same. Jimin’s face was in front of Yoongi’s mouth or he’d have seen the way Yoongi’s jaw dropped when Jimin stared at his eyes or the way Yoongi swallowed thickly when he looked at the boy’s lips. A text message brought them back to reality and they both looked away, equally embarrassed. It was Yoongi’s but he ignored it.

“Aren’t you going to answer that?”


“Not really. It’s probably Seok asking where the hell I am.”

“Your boyfriend?”

Jimin didn’t know why (he knew actually) but he really hoped the answer would be negative.

“Nope. I’m single. He is my best friend.”

Jimin sighed again. Yoongi raised his eyebrows in silent question. Jimin quickly looked away to hide his red cheeks. Luckily the 10 minutes passed already. He slowly removed his hands from Yoongi’s nose. When he realized that it was no longer bleeding, he opened the kit and took the hydrogen peroxide from it.  He quickly applied it on the cotton. He began to carefully remove the dried blood from the boy’s nose and then lips. Cleaning his lips was one hell of a task. Jimin couldn’t really concentrate; all he could think was how pretty the boy’s lips were, how soft they would be and how nice it would be to see them wrapped around…

He quickly shook his head trying to get himself together. Yoongi snorted. . Jimin looked at his eyes which were challenging him. Jimin was about to give in when the door was kicked wide open.

Taehyung and Jungkook froze in their places as they saw Jimin nearly kissing a dark-haired boy sitting across him. Jimin pulled away as if he burnt his skin.

“Um… sorry guys for interrupting. Do go on,” said Taehyung cheerfully and quickly shoved Jungkook and himself out of the house.

Jimin looked like a tomato. His eyes were downcast, or else he’d notice the other boy’s rosy cheeks. Suddenly, Yoongi stood up.

“I gotta go. It’s late.”

Jimin looked up but when he saw Yoongi’s face again, he ducked his face down. He was so embarrassed. He nearly kissed a stranger he met half-an-hour ago what would Yoongi think of him? But then again Yoongi was the stranger why did his opinion matter anyways?

“Can you give me your phone?”

“Why?,” asked Jimin, although he was already reaching fro his phone.

“I want to save your number. They will need it when I’ll be writing a complaint,” said Yoongi with a smirk.

Jimin’s previous blush whitened quickly. Yoongi chuckled before reaching to ruffle his hair.

“You are really cute, you know.”

Jimin probably looked like a fish with his mouth wide open. Was he having a weird dream? Did he loose his consciousness in the dance practice and the last few hours were his brain making fun of his pathetic single life?

“Jeez, relax Jimin. I just need your number so I can ask you out for a cup of coffee,” Yoongi was smiling a gummy smile and Jimin could practically feel his heart melting.

He snapped himself into reality and rushed to give his phone to Yoongi. The latter laughed at his cute antics and quickly called himself from Jimin’s phone. He handed it back and without really saying anything went out with a smile on his lips.

An hour later when Jimin was able to finally relax both his body and brain he got a text that read;

Goodnight Jiminie

These two words were enough to keep Jimin up till 4 am. He just hoped that the 3 hours of sleep would be enough to be able to handle the performance. Even if it didn’t, he had a hot date, so a win win situation really.