Chapter 1

Of Mukbang Dates and Vlogs
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

It all started with their huge appetites.

 

Siyeon was just rolling on her bed, groaning at the fact that there was no food in the fridge at home. She was wallowing in her own misery, wondering what has she ever done to deserve no food. 

 

"Siyeon!" 

 

Eunwoo opened her bedroom door, with two coupons in her hand. She waved those coupons in front of Siyeon's face. "Dress up! We're going on a food adventure."

 

Siyeon's eyes widened. "Are those...coupons for the new restaurant that just opened three blocks away and it's always filled with people and we can never get a seat there an-"

 

"Yes, my child, yes, they are."

 

"How did you get them?" Siyeon held the coupons in her hand and raised it as if it was Simba. 

 

Eunwoo chuckled, lying down next to Siyeon on her bed. "A guy owes me a favour and I just told him I wanted to try out the new restaurant. Luckily, he got the coupons since he knows the owner or whatever but I guess he expected me to go with him like on a date.....oops."

 

“What?! Why aren't you going with him then?"

 

"I just told him thanks and ran off to find you. I'd rather go with you." 

 

Siyeon pinched the other girl's cheeks. "You're so cute."

 

"Yeah, yeah, yeah." She waved off Siyeon's hands. "You were my last resort since Sungyeon’s out on a date, Nayoung's studying and Kyungwon is broke. That left me with, unfortunately, you."

 

"Well! Fortunately for you, this girl is single, does not have an upcoming test anytime soon and is surprisingly loaded with cash! Just your luck!" Siyeon put out her tongue obnoxiously. 

 

Eunwoo grimaced, her tone flat. "Yay me." 

 

"Now, chop, chop, Jung Eunwoo, go and get ready! I'll be the best date you'll ever have!”

 

 

(x)

 

 

"You're the worst date I have ever had." Eunwoo grimaced. 

 

Siyeon was stuffing pasta in but stopped when she heard the absurd comment. "Eh??"

 

"You're sloppy, you're getting pasta sauce all over your mouth, your shirt has a stain on it, you never once offered me to have a taste, heck, you didn’t even pull the chair for me to sit on and yeah, you're not really the best date.” 

 

Eunwoo explained all of that while holding a camcorder to record Siyeon and her horrendous eating habits. It was Siyeon’s idea to bring her camcorder to record their reactions to the new restaurant and their food because, and Eunwoo quotes, ‘When else will we ever get to have free dinner at the most expensive restaurant we have ever been to?!’. 

 

Siyeon pouted, making the older girl chuckle. “Aw, look at our little baby Ddiddi pouting!” She continued filming Siyeon’s actions, finding the girl absolutely adorable when she was pouting. She then placed the camera on the table once she saw the waiter coming towards their table with her food. 

 

Soon, they feasted in their food, occasionally explaining into the camera about what they ordered and described the taste. The taste of their dishes were amazing and it was something both girls didn’t want to forget.

 

Once finished, they walked their way back to the apartment with their tummies full. 

 

 

(x)

 

 

Siyeon had nothing to do. 

 

And so, she took out her laptop and started transferring the clips that she recorded with her camcorder into her laptop. She started editing the clips before deciding to just make a full video about their food adventure. 

 

Recently, she had gotten a bit too immersed in editing videos. She liked having videos to look back at in the future about her past adventures. It was an animated picture diary of some sorts. Still, she owed all of her thanks to Sungyeon whom had taught her all of the basics to video editing. 

 

She doesn’t really post her videos anywhere, it was just for her memories mostly. Maybe she can make an exception for her new video though. 

 

“Do you mind if I post our video on youtube?” Siyeon asked Eunwoo carefully, expectation in her eyes. She still had to get the older girl’s consent, especially when the video involved a lot of her. 

 

Eunwoo shrugged. “I don’t see the harm in it. Go for it.” 

 

And so, they decided to post the video online — their very first mukbang vlog. 

 

Nunu & Ddiddi’s Food Adventure: #1 PLEDIS RESTAURANT

 

 

(x)

 

 

Before they knew it, they blew up the internet. 

 

[jendeukie] i like the chemistry between siyeon and eunwoo! they look good together.

 

[seulseul94] aish…..they made me hungry at 2AM

 

[jong92dae] how can two girls eat so much in one seating?! daebak! 

 

[myemim99] let’s all visit pledis restaurant! the food seriously looks delicious… 

 

[9sinb8] hehehe, they’re both so hilarious! both of them are seriously beagles….

 

[somsomsomi] doesn’t siyeon look like a corgi? and eunwoo looks like a shiba inu? is it just me? 

 

Siyeon furrowed her eyes in confusion at the last comment. Now that she thought about it, Eunwoo really did look like that Japanese dog and damn, she herself really looked like a corgi. 

 

“That explains why I’m short then…. I’m part corgi.” She stretched her cheeks and made funny faces just as Nayoung walked by. 

 

“Stop that,” Nayoung reprimanded. “You shouldn’t touch your face when your hands are dirty.”

 

Siyeon looked up. “Unnie, do I look like a corgi?”

 

Without no hesitation, Nayoung answered. “Yes.”

 

“You answered that so quickly!”

 

“It’s the truth.” 

 

“Then does Eunwoo unnie look like a shiba inu?”

 

“Well…. she has always resembled a cat to me so not really..?” Nayoung looked unsure. “Why the sudden questions about your animal-lookalikes?”

 

Siyeon showed Nayoung the food video they posted on YouTube. “Our video got 1000 views in just a night and people have been commenting a lot. There’s this one comment that said we both looked like dogs…” 

 

Nayoung laughed. “Oh god, that’s gold. I have to agree with somsomsomi, you two actually look like dogs.” 

 

Siyeon pouted, she didn’t think she looked like a corgi… or did she? “Just because I'm a , doesn't mean I have to look like one!"

 

"Language, Park Siyeon!” Nayoung reprimanded, smacking the younger girl on the arm.

 

“According to dictionary.com, female dogs are called es! I didn't invent the dictionary!" 

 

Sighing in exasperation, Nayoung looked up. “Lord, what have I done to deserve this?” 

 

 

(x)

 

 

The next time they have a food adventure was because of Minkyung. 

 

Minkyung was Kyungwon’s best friend who took a gap year and decided to be a culinary chef. She enrolled in the best culinary school in Seoul and suddenly, she graduated with honours and opened up her own restaurant. Since the restaurant was still new and was in need of new patrons, Minkyung called in a favour from Siyeon and Eunwoo.

 

“You want us to what?”

 

“I want you to do a food adventure video or mukbang or whatever at my new restaurant! It’s called marketing! I learned this in Business studies.”

 

Eunwoo was shocked. “You took Business studies?” 

 

“For a while, yeah.” 

 

Meanwhile, Siyeon was still having her doubts. “Why do you want us to do that? I mean, I get why you wanna do the whole ‘film other people eating my food deliciously so more customers can come in’ shabang but why us?” 

 

“Well,” Minkyung shrugged. “You two are my friends.” 

 

“And?” Eunwoo prompted. 

 

“…And I may not have enough money to hire actors so you guys will have to do.” The older girl gave her brightest eye smile that could easily make you fall for her. “It also helps that you guys have an established fanbase already.” 

 

Unfortunately, Siyeon wasn’t falling for it. “What’s in it for us?”

 

“Free food?” 

 

“And?”

 

“A week of free food?” 

 

Eunwoo agreed instantaneously. “Deal!” Siyeon looked at the girl beside her in betrayal, pinching her sides to make her shut up. “Shhh, unnie! We need to get more advantages out of this!” 

 

“A week of free food and a trip to Everland?” Mingkyung prompted. “Take it or leave it. I can always ask Jieqiong and Yebin to do it for free, so…”

 

“We’ll take it!” Eunwoo shouted, covering Siyeon’s mouth with her palm in case the girl objected. 

 

Minkyung smirked. “Nice doing business with you two.” 

 

The next day, Eunwoo and Siyeon left early for dinner. Minkyung had suggested for them to eat dinner instead of lunch because there was usually a bigger crowd during dinner and the dinner menu was better than lunch’s. 

 

Siyeon filmed the way to the restaurant, even capturing the infamous PRISTIN restaurant sign. “Right, everyone. Nunu and Ddiddi’s second ever food adventure will be starting off at the most esteemed restaurant, Pristin Restaurant!” She spoke to the camera, filming herself and Eunwoo who was yelling “YAHOO! FOOOOOOOD!” all the way. 

 

They entered the restaurant with light steps and sat down at a table near the window. Siyeon filmed the menu, giving her input on each dishes before ordering for both herself and Eunwoo. Not long after, their food arrived. 

 

“So, how’s the food, Eunwoo unnie?”

 

The older girl just moaned in delight, putting a thumbs up. “Freaking fantastic! Minkyung unnie’s a genius!” She even did a little dance on the spot. “How did she managed to get the right texture of the sauce? She’s literally Picasso in the kitchen, I tell you!” 

 

Siyeon looked on in amusement. “Only in the kitchen. Unless Kang Kyungwon would like to attest on whether Minkyung unnie is really a Picasso in the bedroom.” 

 

Eunwoo choked, slapping the other’s arm. “Minkyung unnie’s going to kill us! Or worse, poison us!” 

 

“Ow! And that’s not true! This is how we bring in viewers! Food and ual innuendos!” 

 

“Well then,” Eunwoo said after a few moments of silence, a mischievous look on her face. Siyeon didn’t like where the conversation was going. “You remind me of fast food, Siyeon.”

 

“Eh? Why?” 

 

“Because I want to take you out and eat you in my car.” 

 

Eyes widening with open agape, Siyeon froze, wondering how Eunwoo could just say that with no shame at all. She desperately tried to ignore the massive heat going up to her cheeks and tried to regulate her pounding heart. 

 

Meanwhile, Eunwoo was just chortling at the sight of a flustered Siyeon. “Your cheeks are so red! Are you really imagining it, Siyeon-ah?” She wiggled her eyebrows. 

 

“N-no!” Siyeon fanned herself. “Just eat your damn food.” 

 

“I would much prefer to eat you.” 

 

“J-Jung Eunwoo!” 

 

More laughter.

 

Siyeon briefly wondered if homicide was possible. If yes, Jung Eunwoo’s next. 

 

Nunu & Ddiddi’s Food Adventure: #2 PRISTIN RESTAURANT

 

[myemim99] they should get paid for doing this…

 

[rororoa] @myemim99 don’t worry, they are… 

 

[ilailaila] siyEON’s FACE AHSKASHAHAHA

 

(x)

 

Soon, Eunwoo and Siyeon had established a routine to discover good food around their area and film a vlog about it just to share with their fellow YouTube subscribers. They kept it up at least once a week because 1) they were still broke college students and 2) their schedules were filled to the brim with their upcoming exams. 

 

“And here we are at AFTER SCHOOL cafe! We heard there was this new special drip coffee they have and we’ve been dying to try it ever since it opened!” 

 

Siyeon bounced excitedly, her tastebuds were already salivating at the sight of fresh pastries and desserts on display once they entered the cafe. The place wasn’t as packed as they initially thought, just a few patrons here and there.

 

“Hi, I’m Nana and welcome to our cafe! How may I help you?” The cashier greeted them with a friendly smile. 

 

Eunwoo gave a smile back. “We’ll get two house specials, please.” 

 

“Coming right up. Anything else?” 

 

“Let’s get cake and waffles!” Siyeon exclaimed, suddenly hungry. The camera was bouncing in her hands.

 

Eunwoo looked at her incredulously. “We just had dinner, Siyeon.” 

 

“So?”

 

“So… aren’t you full?” 

 

Siyeon shrugged, patting her tummy. “I’m never full for desert!” 

 

Eunwoo looked into the camera. “Everyone, I’m eating with a child. A sweet-craving child.” 

 

Once they finished ordering, they went to a table all the way at the back of the cafe. It was only a matter of time until another pretty employee bearing the name tag of Kaeun served their sweet deserts. 

 

Staring into the camera, Siyeon quickly explained what she ordered. “Everyone, what I ordered is the greatest cake known to mankind; the tiramisu!” 

 

Eunwoo showed her food to the camera. “And mine’s a waffle.” 

 

They dug into their deserts, occasionally exchanging some groans on how delicious the food was. Siyeon scooped a piece of cake before feeding it to Eunwoo who just happily accepted. She continued to do so until Eunwoo spoke up.

 

“Why does it feel like you’re trying to get me to finish all of your cake?” 

 

Siyeon chuckled. “I’m not! I’m just being thoughtful and considerate enough to share you my cake.” 

 

“Hmm,” the older girl cut a piece of waffle. “Then, it’s my turn to feed you. Say ahhhh!” 

 

“Wow,” Eunwoo breathed out a few moments later. “I thought we were full but we actually finished both of our plates clean.” 

 

“Like I said, you always have a second stomach for desert!” 

 

“I agree.” 

 

“Everyone, I really recommend this place just for their deserts. Their coffee are not bad but what really made us want to come back again is their desert, especially their cakes! Plus, the cashier here is totally hot.” Siyeon commented, showing the interior of the cafe and zooming into the cashier, Nana at the counter for a brief second. “Don’t you agree, unnie?” 

 

Eunwoo turned to look at Siyeon who was already staring back at her. “Yeah. I totally agree.” 

 

That little comment caused the brightest smile to beam across Siyeon’s face. It made Eunwoo sport her own grin, proud that she managed to make the younger girl happy. They continued to just stare into each other’s eyes, it was as if a silent conversation was happening with their eyes.

 

They only broke their mini staring contest when a beep beep rang through from the camera, alerting that the battery was almost dying. 

 

Siyeon winked to the camera. “We gotta go but remember everyone; After School Cafe is the in trend now!”

 

Nunu & Ddiddi’s Food Adventure: #7 AFTER SCHOOL CAFE 

 

[somsomsomi] they look like they’re in love I SHIP THEM 

 

 

(x)

 

 

Siyeon was bored. 

 

She wondered what she could do while waiting for Nayoung to finish cooking dinner. She was just scrolling through her apps in her phone until her eyes lit up in delight. She found a good way to spend her time waiting. 

 

She opened the app, pictures and videos were already loading on her feed. She swiped to her right and clicked on the ‘Live’ video. She was smiling brightly when she saw a lot of people entering her Instagram Live, a few people had even started leaving comments. 

 

[hyunniebunnie91] Wow! Siyeon’s live!

 

[hotsootuff] Hi Siyeon!!

 

[xolovestephi] Siyeonnnniieeee~!

 

[somsomsomi] Corgi unnie, hello!

 

 

Siyeon smiled widely. “Hellooooooo everyone!” 

 

As she responded with hellos and looked for more questions to answer, a certain comment caught her eye. 

 

[yerinjung96] Did you expect yourself to be one of the most popular mukbang channels? 

 

Siyeon thought about it. She only posted the videos for fun, just for the sake of her memories. It was surprisingly nice to know that her videos were truly enjoyed by the general public. “Not really! Nunu unnie and I just wanted to record with our cameras and our videos were strictly for fun. So yeah, we didn’t really expect to be so big especially when all we do is eat.” 

 

[shonsw1004] Where’s Eunwoo? What will you and Eunwoo be eating tomorrow? 

 

“Nunu unnie? She’s at class! The unnie that I depend a lot, I wonder what should we eat tomorrow? Hmmm, let’s eat beef!” Siyeon exclaimed, just the thought of her two favourite things together was enough to get her excited.

 

[somsomsomi] which one of your roommates would you date? 

 

She knew she should have thought about it a little more instead of just blurting out the first name that came into her mind. “Without a doubt, Eunwoo unnie! It’s because we get along so well, and I would love to date someone that just radiates good vibes. Eunwoo unnie is that person for me.” 

 

Siyeon continued answering more and more questions. She had fun interacting with her fans, it was nice to know that people spend a little out of their time just to know more about her life. It was interesting, to say the least. She continued to do so until Nayoung called her for dinner, to which she said her goodbyes almost abruptly and promised to do another live as soon as possible. 

 

“Bye everyone! Nayoung unnie is making us dinner so we have to pretend that we actually enjoy it.” Siyeon poked her tongue out. “Have a good night everyone!” 

 

And so, she switched off her phone and bounced to the dining table where everyone else was there except for Eunwoo.

 

Confused, she decided to question it. “Where’s Eunwoo unnie?”

 

“She’ll be running late due to a class project discussion.” Nayoung answered. 

 

“Worried about your girlfriend, huh?” Kyungwon smirked, her chin in her palm. 

 

“What?! She’s n-not my girlfriend!” 

 

“Well, you did say you would date her out of all of us.” Sungyeon nodded. “I’m a bit offended though. Why wouldn’t you date me?”

 

“Because you’re hopelessly in love with Yewon unnie.” 

 

“Yah!” Sungyeon looked like she was about to fight. “As if you’re not hopelessly in love with Eunwoo unnie.” 

 

Nayoung intervened before things could have gotten any bloodier. “Alright, alright. Everyone’s hopelessly in love with someone. Let’s eat dinner before it gets cold.”

 

“She’s not wrong.” Kyungwon cheekily grinned. “She’s hopelessly in love with Jieqiong, anyway.” 

 

The older girl just stared hard at Kyungwon who cowered in fear. 

 

“We are all gathered here today to witness the death of Kang Kyungwon by the hands of the infamous stone, Im Nayoung.” Siyeon stood up, suddenly MC-ing. 

 

“Siyeon.” 

 

“Right, sorry Nayoung unnie.” 

 

“Dinner, everyone.” 

 

“Yes, unnie.” Everyone chorused. 

 

 

(x)

 

Siyeon really shouldn't overreact.

 

She really shouldn't, it was nothing worth overreacting for. She just needed to calm herself down, take deep breaths, inhale and exhale and not get angr-

 

"WHO TOOK MY CHOCOLATE MILK?!" Siyeon shrieked, her voice going up a pitch higher. 

 

Well, she tried. It was the thought that counted.

 

She repeated the question again, slamming the fridge door shut when she saw her six-packs of her favourite chocolate milk was gone and she didn't even get a chance to drink one of them. It was tough living with four other girls, especially when your chocolate milk gets stolen and you have four suspects to interrogate. Well, technically, three suspects considering that Nayoung unnie never ate other people’s snacks because she was thoughtful like that. 

 

After ruling out Nayoung, the first official suspect was Kang Kyungwon. An avid frog lover, a fashion enthusiast, a Kongie devotee and overall, a weirdo. 

 

Kyungwon wasn’t impressed. “Really, Siyeon? You’re accusing me?!” 

 

The younger girl wished she could take Kyungwon seriously but seeing Kyungwon crossing her arms with a Kermit doll sitting on her shoulders and Kongie sticking his tongue out in her lap made it impossible. “Yes. But wait a minute, uhhh, what’s up with the Kermit?” 

 

“The K in Kyungwon stands for Kermit.”

 

If Siyeon thought Kyungwon could not get any weirder, she was wrong. Absolutely wrong. 

 

“Anyway, that’s absurd! I still don’t understand why you’re accusing me of drinking your chocolate milk!” Siyeon thought the Kermit was absurd but hey. “I prefer my milk fresh and vanilla, thank you very much.”

 

“Milk isn’t vanilla flavoured…”

 

Kyungwon narrowed her eyes. “Oh what? You’re discriminating vanilla milk now? First, you’re accusing me of drinking your chocolate milk and now, you’re dictating my preference on vanilla milk?! What did I ever do to you, Siyeon?” 

 

Siyeon could list a few things that made Siyeon rethink her decision on living with a total weirdo (read: Kang Kyungwon). 

 

“Right,” Siyeon slowly backed out of the room. “That was a lovely chat, I’m just going to interrogate other suspects now so if you’ll excuse me…” 

 

Kyungwon made Kermit wave goodbye. “We should do this more! The chatting, I mean.” 

 

No, we shouldn’t…

 

Siyeon couldn’t get out of the room faster. She practically sprinted out of the room, going straight to her own room to get her notebook and started crossing out Kyungwon’s name out. 

 

Kang Kyungwon — INNOCENT (and a weirdo) 

 

The second suspect was Bae Sungyeon. Siyeon went straight to Sungyeon’s room, only to find her hunched over the piano with piano sheets all over her lap.

 

“Bae Sungyeon.”

 

The other girl raised an eyebrow. “That’s unnie for you.” 

 

“Sorry,” Siyeon rolled her eyes. “Bae Sungyeon unnie.”

 

“Yes, my sweet child?” 

 

She cut straight to the chase. “Where were you between 10 am to 10 pm yesterday?” 

 

Sungyeon looked confused. “I was studying with Yewon at the library from 10 am till 2 pm and then we went for lunch before she invited me back to her apart-”

 

“ALRIGHT ALRIGHT ALRIGHT! So it wasn’t you who drank my chocolate milk but spare me the details, unnie. I don’t really need to know your life with Yewon unnie.”

 

“What?!” Sungyeon stuttered, looking aghast. “We just watched a movie at her apartment!”

 

“Are you sure it wasn’t Netflix and chill?” 

 

Sungyeon tried to recall. “Well, we did watch this documentary about prison on Netflix and technically, we did chill on the couch considering we had a long day of study-” 

 

“AHhhHHHHHhhHHHHHH! I’m still young! My ears! I’ll tell Nayoung unnie!”

 

Sungyeon was lost. “Tell her what?”

 

“NAYOUNG UNNIE, SUNGYEON UNNIE DID THE DEED WITH YEWON UNNIE.” Siyeon screamed at the top of her lungs, completely forgetting her true purpose of interrogating Sungyeon. 

 

Nayoung poked her head into the room. “Sungyeon did what?”

 

“SHE HAD WITH YEWON UNNIE!” Siyeon screamed, trying to get the mental images out of her mind.

 

“WHAT?!” Nayoung shouted simultaneously as Sungyeon shrieked. “NO, I DID NOT!” 

 

Nayoung pushed Siyeon out of the room. “I’ll just have a quick chat with Sungyeon, go and bother Kyungwon or Eunwoo.” 

 

“Nayoung unnie, this is all a big misunderstanding!” Sungyeon begged, puppy eyes on default. The last thing Siyeon saw was Sungyeon’s big eyes directed to her in a heated glare before the door closed on her.

 

Oh boy, I’m in trouble…

 

Siyeon just shrugged it off. Sungyeon would probably forget that she was angry at Siyeon in just a few days. 

 

Bae Sungyeon — INNOCENT (not in her life though) 

 

Now, back to her original mission. She had crossed off Kyungwon unnie, Sungyeon unnie and since Nayoung unnie wasn’t even a suspect in the first place, the last person was…

 

This can’t be. If it’s not Sungyeon unnie… 

 

Siyeon was confused. The last suspect was Jung Eunwoo and she thoroughly believed that Eunwoo would never do something drastic like drinking her favourite chocolate milk to her… right? Eunwoo always treated Siyeon nicely and she knew the older girl had a soft spot for her so she couldn’t have done that. 

 

Too immersed in her own thoughts, she didn’t hear footsteps approaching her until Nayoung snapped her fingers in front of Siyeon’s face. 

 

Nayoung quirked an eyebrow. “If you’re thinking about your chocolate milk, Eunwoo drank it. All of it.”

 

“…She d-did?…” Siyeon gaped. “A-are you sure?” 

 

“Positive. She drank it in front of me but I was too preoccupied to tell her it was yours.” 

 

Siyeon narrowed her eyes. “You mean, you were too preoccupied making out with Jieqiong unnie on top of you that you didn’t realise Eunwoo unnie was drinking my milk until at the very end…?”

 

“Guilty.” Nayoung’s face was almost as red as crimson. “But she did drink it, in my defence!” 

 

The younger girl sighed. Her unnies really cannot be depended on. One is a frog lover, one is a Chinese’s lover, and one is just a hopeless lover. 

 

“I’M BAAAAAAAAAACKKKKK, EVERYONE!” 

 

Nayoung shook her head. “Speaking of the devil.” 

 

She uttered those words just as Eunwoo walked into the room, groceries in her hands. The other girl was sweaty and looked like she just ran a marathon — well, maybe she did considering she was donning her gym clothes. 

 

“I brought back groceries too!” She told Nayoung who looked almost impressed. “I figured we were running low on real food.” 

 

“Oh, that reminds me! I have to pay the rent to the landlord.” Nayoung announced, grabbing her keys and jacket along with an envelope of money. “I’ll be back.” 

 

When the door slammed shut, Siyeon apprehensively approached Eunwoo who was unpacking the groceries. She didn’t really want to believe that the older girl drank all of her chocolate milk even if she really did love chocolate. 

 

“Uhh, unnie?” Siyeon started. “By any chance, did you drin-” Before she could even finish her sentence, Eunwoo had already shoved a packet of her favourite chocolate milk into her hands. 

 

“Yes, I did.” Eunwoo sheepishly said, scratching the back of her neck. “I’m sorry for not telling you, I was suddenly craving for chocolate and your milk was the only thing available.” 

 

“You should have just asked me.” 

 

“Well, anything that's yours is mine, righ

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter