Prologue

Lonely (2Jae)

Youngjae's body is racked by sobs. The chilly night wind sweeps his brown locks away from his tear-stained cheeks. He exhales in a long sigh. A puff of condensation, visible in the cold air, appears in front of him.

"Youngjae?"

A gentle voice rouses Youngjae from his wallowing in his self-pity. He glances over his shoulder and sees Jaebum standing in the doorway to the rooftop. Youngjae averts his eyes. He sniffles and quickly wipes away the tears on his face.

Jaebum sits down next to him. "Are you alright?" he asks.

Youngjae clears his throat and nods. Jaebum takes off his jacket and slings it over Youngjae's shoulders. He wraps a comforting arm around him. The younger member rests his head against Jaebum's torso. He closes his eyes and takes a deep breath. He takes strange solace in his leader's subtle scent of deodorant and laundry sheets. A few silent minutes pass by.

"Don't worry about it. You did fine."

"The-"

"Our fans won't care about your little stumble. Our manager is being too harsh on you."

Jaebum reaches over and wipes a few stray tears off of Youngjae's face. He smiles, sympathetic. "It's alright. We're all here for you."

The corners of Youngjae's mouth rise up into a small smirk back at him. "Thank you."