The Wedding Dare

The Wedding Dare

How far can a game of truth or dare go?
Se Hun would always ponder about it. 

Lu Han was the rich man's son, of high hopes and pride for his son to build good reputation and take over his business. The very best childhood friend of Se Hun whom they grew up together.
Se Hun on the other hand, was already a tycoon who had everything he could ever lavish for, but the one thing he lacks of, was a lady.
It was all thanks to a game that he is where he is now. Everything he owns, to everything he doesn't.

On a normal day yet again with a normal round of it, he played with Lu Han, with strong intentions. And so was Lu Han, being serious about the game as usual.
The truth or dare game between them was made up of 10% truth, 90% dare, it wasn't even truth or dare anymore. But the rules they played were different, instead of telling what the other had to do, they chose what they themselves want to do, writes it on a piece of paper and puts it into a mini wooden box.
At every time limit of 3 months later, the both of them would open up the mini wooden box, to see the other's dare.

Se Hun himself wrote dares like 'If I don't be a tycoon in 3 months time, I will eat live cockcroaches for 3 straight months.' Which he did, but accomplished the dare in another 6 months. Or 'If I don't confess to my crush in 3 months, I will attend every single arranged marriage my parents forced me to.' Which explains his really dismissive attitude towards girls. Or 'If I don't go for the boring school trip, I will skinny dip at central park's pond on a weekend in broad daylight when there are many kids.' He did, and was arrested, had to have Lu Han bail him out.

Lu Han's was more like 'If I don't get perfect scores for finals, I will sleep in the woods with maggots alone for 5 nights.' Which he did and practically looked like he had insomnia after. 'If I don't complete reading 10 books in 30 hours, I will stick my hand into a live untrained shark's mouth for 1 minute." How he did it without letting the shark bite was still a mystery, Se Hun was there live too. And one...'If I disappoint my parents again, I will become aneroxic for a year.' He did, and his parents learnt to treasure him more afterwards.

On the truth side, it was not practical for the both of them. That first few times they played it, involves questioning each other's feelings for the other which always ends up with a stupid or lame joke about irrelevant things and the question remains with no definite answer.

The both started scribbling.

[On the wedding, if ...]

******************

I used to think, that if one day I'm getting married...

"...dear guests, may we rise, and welcome the bride."
He adjusted his tie, gently shifting its position as he smiled.

In a wedding chapel, relatives and friends stood from their seats with smiles all over their faces as they turned towards the white door where an anticpating moment would arrive any time.

...you would be my best man.

The classic wedding song started playing against the backdrop of a professional group of orchestra members, lightening up a magnificent heart warming mood.

An array of sunlight lit up the place as the doormen pushes open the huge door, the ray of lights seethed into the chapel, brightening up the room in brilliant white lights.
There, his beautiful fiance in her long white wedding gown, in white laced gloves held her father's arms as she paced down the aisle of the most important day in her life.
Beneath the veil, she beamed sparkles of excitement and joy as flower girls waved pink petals over her as she paced down the red carpet, towards her love of life.

...because we would finally touch the red carpet.

Each step she took, drew her closer, and closer, and closer, towards the altar. 

But then, when I think about it again, "Hey, come for my wedding."

The long trail of roses, tulip, hydrangeas, peonies, every lovely flower were sent a swift waft of refreshing scents, the guests were hyped, her mother wiping tears off her eyes with her favorite handkerchief.

Just come ruin my wedding,
snatch me away.

The bride stopped in her steps, her maid in honor took the trail of bouquet with gleaming happiness in her eyes, and so her father carefully held her hand, and took the groom's, handing her over. With a delightful trusting smile, he turned around and went to stand beside his emotionally touched wife.
Everyone's eyes were in utmost wishful blessings for the couple.

Because, I will definitely leave with you.

But I thought about it yet again...

He looked at the gorgeous angel standing before him, was he really going to marry such a stunning gentle lady? He couldn't believe it either, everything seemed too fairytale like for him, they were too sweet and nice, she was too good for him.
He touched the neck tip of his tie again, with a tempting will to...

Brushing away what he had practiced nights to say, he gathered his final decision, with heavy affirmation and told him, 
"Don't come for my wedding."

"Are we finally playing the right way of dare?" He replied.

"It is of greatest pleasure for the attendance of our dear guests. Welcome to this very special day where we witness the joining of two souls coming together."

Don't come.

"In promise, of all the people who are close to Mr Lu Han and Ms Irene, that their magical romance will do everything in its power to join a wonderful and blissful marriage."
Lu Han looked at the bride before her as the world around clapped a huge roar of encouragements and connected ecstasy for them.

"Ms Irene, do you take Mr Lu Han to be your lawful husband, and do you promise to love him, comfort him and forsaking all others to keep true to only to him, as long as both shall live?"
There was a sinking expectation of pressure rolling in Lu Han's heart, the feeling was disturbing and vulnerable, but he had to face it.
He cannot screw up his plan, it's not time yet as his neck was feeling it.

She looked up into his eyes with firm determination, took a quick deep breath and let out a confident, "I do."
Lu Han was struck hard in the heart.

"Mr Lu Han, do you take Ms Irene to be your lawful wife, and do you promise to love her, comfort her and forsaking all others to keep true to only to her, as long as both shall live?"

Lu Han turned to take one final glance at the opened door of just lights, passing throught the eager eyes of the audience, not what he wished for.

Because I'm scared that I will see you at the wedding,

And see you do nothing.

He breaks away from the sight and looked up at the ceiling, a faint sad smile spreads across his lips.

He closed his eyes and took in a light breath, "I'm sorry..."
And for one final time, he adjusted his tie.

"But if for you, I do." with a soft whisper, he added, "Se Hun."

 

The next moment, everyone in the chapel gasped in horror, frantic and as worried as all of their faces swiftly changed to see a terrible sight before them.

"Someone! Call the ambulance!!"

What was once a heaven angel, now became a pale face ghost, drowning in fear and absolute disbelief. Her expensive white gown stained with red liquid as her legs let her body fall on the ground. Her hands bleeding from all the cuts of the chandelier's glass shards.

"N...no...Lu Han..." She shook her head, tears streaming down her face as her body trembled by the sight. Her father immediately came over hugging his severely shivering daughter as his wife was long passed out in the care of their relatives.

"THE AMBULANCE!" Her maid in honor shouted desperately.

Everything was a blur, his whole body stiffened from the piercing pains of a million, billion painful deep cuts into his flesh where the glass chandelier had crushed him.
Blood oozed out fast, its disgusting smell took over the nice scent of flowers.
Lu Han didn't bother if his whole white suit was running rivers of dark red, pierced by the huge glass on top of him or the excruciating pain screaming while he was even still conscious.

Losing his body control, he weakly forced himself to face the door once again.

The door where there were only scrambling people and a light, that slowly grew dark.

He cast a weak smile, a really painfully hurt one that does no stand of comparison to his physical injuries.
At then, he had fulfilled his own dare.

**********

[3 months later]

"He's here."
Rain was pouring heavily but lady in black let him to a gray tombstone, her face seemingly forcing tears back down as hard as she could as she turned away. "It was such a tragedy."

Thunder roared across the skies.

The tall man in black suit held a black umbrella over her as he overlooked the tomb. "I'm sorry for her."

The lady shook her head, "Love has no boundaries, I learnt that from her well."
"How is she doing now?"
"Better, but not completely. It was her most excited day, afterall." She looked up at him. "What about you, Se Hun? He was your childhood best friend."
"Yes, we were. We used to play truth or dare together, rather...fun."
The lady smiled light heartedly. "Sounds lovely...but..." She suddenly recalls. "You weren't at the wedding?"

Se Hun smiled. "Ahh, you have an appointment with an important client right?"

"Yes, but..."
Se Hun passed her the umbrella and gently pushed her back. He opens up another black umbrella over his head and gives a reassuring beam.

The lady was uneased.

"Oh, Wendy. Thanks for secretly bringing me here." He said with a light tone, before Wendy could turn, she felt a huge cold hand gently patting her back.

"Bye." He said with a cheery tone, loud by her ears between the rain. 

Wendy trots towards the entrance, still curious about him, but checking as her watch says she would be late, she left.

 

Se Hun fished out the small wooden box from his pants pocket. This is the first time he had to open it alone, it's lonely.

In front of Lu Han's tomb, he lifted up the lid. 2 pieces of rolled paper laid in there.

Se Hun could not tell apart which paper belonged to whose anymore, randomly picking one up and unrolled it.

On my wedding, if Se Hun does not stop it, by the time I had to say 'I do', I will murder myself. 

 

The rain poured heavier, hitting against the umbrella with its droplets peltering harder and harder, wind encouraging howls. The air in the graveyard, is heavy.

He read the words over and over again until he could hear it perfectly with Lu Han's voice. As much as the incident on that wedding day caused Lu Han's life, Se Hun was unfazed. Perhaps he was heartless to Lu Han, and himself. Se Hun deserved this cruel dare Lu Han made. 

He turns back to the box and closed the lid without taking out the other paper.

Slowly, he bends down despite the dirt and mud on the ground, and placed the now empty box on the ground. Reaching his hand towards Lu Han's cold and drenched tomb, the back of his hand slid down against Lu Han's frame. 

Lu Han is not the only one who placed a cruel curse on himself.

Se Hun gazed at Lu Han's picture, a rare nonchalant smile on him. Would it be possible to see him like that often if he had...? 

He smiled back gently.

"If I don't do anything to stop Lu Han's wedding, I will let go of all my feelings for him, and end my life once he reads this." He had written his own dare with the assumption that Lu Han would have been with his wife by now, hardly able to bear living with that sight.

He huffed an ironic despise at themselves, but tears had started to accompany his eyes, dripping down his chin.

 

Se Hun threw his umbrella away, takes the mini wooden box, turning it upside down, a secret chamber beneath it. Pulling it out, he took a small sharp knife.

"I get it now." He chuckled at the serious joke they had pulled on themselves. "The reason we play our dares like this was because we are scared of nothing except our..."

"Haha...ha...hahahahaha..." He could not stop, it was just so disgustingly funny how this had became so unsalvageable like hell because of one path none of them dared to take. His laugh grew into despair and disbelief, what kind of serious problem did they really have that was so hard to even open up to one another about their feelings, they could even gamble their own life for it? 

His laughing mockery slowly disintegrates into airy huffs. He looked up at Lu Han's tomb again, leaning in to kiss his picture. He smiled with his tears mixed in rain.

Se Hun turns to the Earth beneath him, and starts digging with his bare hands, then using the small knife to dig more soil, desperately reaching and hoping to see Lu Han's body he never got the courage to see ever since they wrote this dare together, the more he dug, the more he realised everything was actually so easy.

As he retreats his hand, he points the knife to his neck.

 

"In the end, we are both cowards." Se Hun shook his head with as much disappointment as his heart could bear.

 

Crows cawed beneath the stormy skies as the black umbrella comes in contact with a river of flowing red.

Was this the only way, for us to be honest?

***********

I used to think, that if one day I'm getting married...

...you would be my best man.

...because we would finally touch the red carpet.

 

But then, when I think about it again,

"Hey, come for my wedding."

Just come ruin my wedding,

snatch me away.

Because, I will definitely leave with you.

 

But I thought about it yet again...

"Don't come for my wedding."

Don't come.

Because I'm scared that I will see you at the wedding,

 

And see you do nothing.

-End-

 

A/N: Greatly inspired by this short short part of a Chinese strip of manga on how a man thinks about his wedding (I translated it and yes, it is all in the last part).
Adding stories along the way.

Anyway, I know it's angsty AF and all, I just wanna try a distorted view on love.

Hunhan OTP!!