~002~

It Happened So Fast

Areum laid in her bed underneath all her blankets, it was morning, but she was much too worn to get out of bed. The night prior, as soon as she had made it into her room after those boys had waited for her to get in the taxi last night she broke out into gut-wrenching sobs. It took an hour of sitting in a hot shower that was just a step behind burning her skin before she felt clean enough to fall into her bed, the tears not stopping until there was nothing more to come out. Her parents did hear her cries, or maybe they just couldn't be bothered to check what was wrong. She didn't want to talk to them anyways, any sympathy they had for their daughter had long-since disappeared with her brother three years ago.

"Areum! Are you getting ready for school?" her mom shouted from down the hall. Areum couldn't find the energy to answer. Her mom called to her a few more times before stopping down the hall and throwing open her bedroom door. She ripped the blankets off Areum, staring at her daughter for a few seconds before speaking. "You're not dressed?"

"I'm sick," Areum muttered, shivering at the change in temperature.

Her mom set the back of her hand on her forehead. "No fever. Get up."

"I'm sick," Areum repeated.

"And I said you're not. Get your uniform on and try to look presentable."

Areum slowly sat up. "How would you know if I was sick or not? You have no clue as to how I'm feeling."

"Just get ready."

Areum watched as her mother left her room. It was only after the door closed did she finally stand, dragging her feet to her uniform that lay in a rumpled mess on the floor and sliding it on. She slowly finished her routine, keeping her slow pace as she made her way into their living room. Her brushed past her dressed in her usual attire - some kind pencil skirt, button up, and blazer - and slipped on her black heels at the door. "I'll drop you off since you took so long to get ready."

Areum nodded, stepping into her black school shoes. She followed her mom out to the car and took a seat in the front, staying quiet the entire ride to school. She didn't so much as mutter a single word as Areum stepped out onto the pavement, driving off as soon as Areum shut the door. Areum wasn't even running late; she took her time walking to her classroom. Much like how she fell into her bed that night, Areum collapsed into her desk and set her head down in her arms, closing her eyes to rest before class officially began.

She heard the chair of her seat partner be pulled out and a body sitting in it. The person reached out and tapped Areum lightly. "Areum-ssi?"

"Hm?" she lifted her head up, looking over at Jungkook.

"My hyungs said someone brought my school work. Was that you?"

She nodded, setting her head back down, resting on her right cheek so she could still look at Jungkook. "Teacher Jung had asked me to."

"They told me about that man and how he....." he trailed off. "Are you okay?"

She closed her eyes, nodding. "Yeah, I'm all right."

He nodded and the conversation naturally trailed off, neither of them making any attempt to continue socializing together.

Areum had moved to the school just a few months prior and was assigned to sit with Jungkook; when kids chose their seats at the beginning of the year, no one dared to sit in that seat by their will. Sure, Jungkook had good looks, but the girls at school knew best to admire from afar. They knew all about the gang he was in, how dangerous he and his buddies were. It was the first year not one of Jungkook's hyungs were in school, and without them, many of the other students thought he'd be more kind. Being without his friends made Jungkook even less approachable than before.

Areum was different than the other kids.

There weren't many new students that came to the school, with all the gang violence on this side of their massive city most were smart enough to send their children to schools in safer areas, Areum was the first new student in his class since 8th grade. 

Her first day she had introduced herself quietly, which made he look like an easy target to bully. Her vulnerability was the only reason she had become a target. On her first day, her desktop had already got vandalized with profanity; she'd been tripped in the halls, pushed into lockers, and some even attempted to lock her in the girl's bathroom.

Jungkook had been leaving school when he saw a group of girls blocking the door to the bathroom with a chair, giggling to each other as they did it. He didn't know why he felt the need to do something, he just did. He walked over to the door and kicked the chair away, shocking the girl's so bad they sprinted away.

Jungkook left for home and the next day he came to school the word about his 'saving' had gotten around, and everyone got the idea not to mess with Areum. He tried his best to be her hidden savior; he quickly learned just how much she attracted danger. 

Jungkook acted as sweet as he looked with Areum but to everyone else, he was the gangster they all knew. As soon as Hoseok and Jimin came back with his school work and the story of what had happened Jungkook wanted to run to Areum's house and make sure she was okay. He had seen her cry reading the nasty notes people snuck into her locker, how had she felt after what had happened on the street?

One thing was for sure: when Areum had told her she was alright, she was lying. He'd be dumb not to see it.