Chapter 7

Classmate, Partner, or Soulmate

'We should stop here for today.' Daehyun switched off the music player before turning to you, checking on your condition as usual. 'You feeling okay?'

'Mhmm.' You manage to nod, at the same time trying to get your breathe back as he gathered your things.

'Are you heading home after this?'

Right- 'Oppa, I have something to tell you.'

'Yeah?'

'It's about Jongup-'

As if on cue, the door slammed open. ‘Time to go~’ Jongup sang, but a frown appeared on his face when he saw Daehyun passing you your bag.

And he immediately lunged forward, grabbing it from Daehyun and in the next moment, you found his arm hooked securely around yours.

‘Yah Moon Jongup.’ You whispered as you tried to tug his arm off you, but it only got tighter as he stared dead into Daehyun’s eyes.

‘Hyung, she’s mine now so don’t try anything funny.’

‘That’s not how you talk to him!’ You smacked his hand hard, but all he did, to your utter horror at that point in time, was pout back at you.

‘Why are you still on his side? I’m your boyfriend now.’

You sighed as you glanced at Daehyun to find him looking straight at you, his eyes widening as he tried to take in the information before him. Now, that's not how I wanted him to find out...

‘That doesn’t mean you can get between me and Daehyun oppa.' You lowered your voice, gave his cheeks two light pats while remaining serious. ‘I was friends with him before I even knew you.’

'Park Hyemin!'

'Stop whining already oh gosh-' With another glare, this time directed at you, Jongup released your arms and dumped your things on the ground before stomping off, the door to the practice room slamming shut with an extremely loud bang.

 

 

 

‘Y-You’re really together now?’ Jongup- he’s fast.

'I'm sorry Daehyun oppa.'

'What for?' She doesn't possibly know that I have- Daehyun looked at you as he kept his hands stuffed securely in his pockets, not wanting to convey too much- or even anything- through his body language. 

'I didn't want you to find out this way-,' You sighed yet again, 'I wanted to tell you before anyone but he just came in and threw a tantrum.'

'What's new, am I right?' Other than the fact that you're now taken, before I could even make a move.

'But-'

'It's alright. He really likes you. That's why he's throwing tantrums. Look after him a little.'

'Oppa, you know you're still important to me right? I wouldn't forget about you just because I have a boyfriend now.' 

Nope- Don't do it- Daehyun saw your hand reaching for his elbow but resisted the urge to dodge it at the very last second, not wanting to act suspicious. 'Hyemin, I'm fine, really. And look- See, you finally got a boyfriend that you never thought you would get.' 

'But- Are you sure you're not mad that I didn't tell you-' 

‘Why would I be mad? I'm still the first one to find out right? Okay- Now go chase after that boyfriend of yours before he throws another tantrum.’

‘It’s okay, he always does that.’

'Hyemin.'

'Fine. I'll go, just because you told me to.' Daehyun raised his eyebrow at you, as if questioning your motives. 'Really, I'm pretty sure he's-' And when it turned into a glare, you hurriedly headed towards the door, not before hugging him goodbye. 'Okay okay I'll go.'

 

 

 

 

 

‘Go away. I don’t want you here.’

Sure. You scoffed internally when Jongup left his door wide open to let you in right after answering the door bell within ten seconds. And you were trying hard to suppress your laughter at how childish he was being. 

‘Aigoo is our Jongjongie upset?’ You cooed, wrapping your arms around his neck as you plopped down next to him on his couch, not forgetting to lean in real close to him. 'Is he?'

And the effect was immediate- A smile creeping onto his face despite how hard he was trying to stay mad at you.

‘Don’t do that.’ He grumbled. 

‘Jongjongie?’ But you saw the sides of his lips tilting up and you took your chance- giving him a quick peck on the lips which took him aback. 

‘You’re making it hard for me to hate you.’

'Of course it'll be hard. You don't hate me to begin with.'

'You don't even know how much I hate you.'

'Really? Well- I guess I should leave then, since nobody wants me here-' You pulled away teasingly, only to have his arms around you as he held you closely next to him. 

‘What took you so long.' 

‘I went home to shower first.’

‘But you can just shower here.’ Jongup continued to slur his words, while he dug his face into your neck, your hands running through his hair gently. 

'Are we okay now? Are you still mad?'

'For now, I'm okay. For now.' 

 


 

'Are you sure I won't-' You were silenced by his lips on yours, his warm hands holding your face between them. 

Only when he felt you calming down, your nerves loosening slightly, did he pull away. 'If you keep thinking that way, you will obviously screw up.' 

'That's not helping.' You pouted, thinking that he would say something nice- But who were you kidding. 

‘It’ll be fine.' He whispered this time, as he leaned his forehead against yours. 'Everything will go smoothly. Trust me.’

 

 

 

'How is it that I've never heard of you before? Park Hyemin?' One of the judges asked, and you had to double take to realise that she was indeed referring to you- when you were already having enough trouble trying to calm your nerves and hope that you did not just mess up Jongup's first round of judging-

You did not even catch onto the slight scoff from the male when he saw how out of it you were. 'She's my girlfriend, and I asked her for a favour.' And Jongup tried so hard to contain himself when you did not even notice that half lie he just made.

'That's sweet of your girlfriend to give up participating for you. She would have made it far by her skills.' The female judge continued, only to be interrupted by the usher.

'The next contestant is ready.' 

 

 

 

 

'See, you got a compliment.' Jongup grinned from ear to ear as he massaged your stiff shoulders on your way out of the room. Yet, you remained quiet and he was starting to get worried instead of finding the entire situation funny. 'Min?'

'Is it too late to go in there and say that you're the helper and I'm the contestant instead?'

That look of feign shock on his face had you smiling, before he finally burst into laughter and had you in a tight hug again. 'Now my Hyemin's back.'

'Are you sure that you'll be fine? All they did was compliment me, they did not even comment on you. What if you couldn't make it?'

'Now now, it's not they, it's just a she, out of the three judges. And of course they're not supposed to comment on me. At least not that soon. Hey I know you're back but stop that.'

'I barely even started.' You stuck out your tongue, only to earn a flick to your forehead. 

'When's Daehyun hyung's?' Jongup tried changing the topic, not wanting to continue the diss you were giving him. 

'Tomorrow, 4pm.'

'That, you can screw up.'

'Yah! Moon Jongup!' The look on your face this time, was not one of feign shock. 

'I'm kidding~ We've went passed that, remember?'

'Of course I remember, I was the one trying to appease you for that, remember?'

'Just don't try too hard tomorrow, we can't let them think that you're actually hyung's girlfriend instead.'

'Jongup-'

'Fine fine. I'll stop talking about it. Let's go get our well deserved treat hmm?' Jongup gave a quick peck to your lips before dragging you out of the building, signalling an end to the conversation. 

But you were not going to have any of that. 

'Jongup, are you still mad?' You asked as you hugged onto his arm, but he did not spare you a glance. 

'We got over that.' 

'Jongup, did I go too far?'

'No.'

'Jongup-'

'It's just that-'

'I like you, Moon Jongup. I like you a lot. So don't worry too much okay?' You whispered, giving him a strong tug to make sure he was looking at you. 

'You win.' 

 


 

'Hwaiting! You can do it! You don't have to get first place I'll still love you.' You gave Jongup one last tight hug backstage before he was due for standby.

'I don't know if you actually mean it whenever you say those things.'

'Are we really going to do this now?' You frowned, only to have him poke your cheeks teasingly. 

'I'm trying to keep calm so just let me say whatever I want to say.'

'What about me?' Daehyun interrupted, hoping that he could stop the lovefest before it got too far. He has been trying to adapt to the both of you being an item. It's been slow progress, but he has been trying. 

You could feel the slight flinch from the person beside you, who on the other hand has also had his troubles trying to get over how close you are still with Daehyun. 'Oppa, I'm on Jongup's side today. You know how important it is for him.'

'Alright alright. But just so you know, I'll be trying my best too.' 

 

 

Daehyun was running his routine through his head for the very last time, hearing that Jongup was almost halfway through his part, when he felt a familiar tug on his elbow. ‘Daehyun oppa.’ 

‘Hmm?’

‘All the best.’ You smiled, giving his hand a tight squeeze before releasing it. 

'Well, Jongup wouldn't be too happy with this.'

You rolled your eyes at the comment, giving his arm a hard hit. 'Hey- Just- Give it your all out there.'

'Are you sure? Weren't you on Jongup's side today?' He scoffed, only to have you frown at him. 

'You both deserve a win-' 

'Jung Daehyun, standby!'

'See you in a while,' He give you one last smile, patting your head real hard this time, before disappearing behind the curtains. 

 

- End -

 


 

[A/N] And we're done!

For all you readers, thank you so much for being here the entire time despite my flaws and mistakes, and I hope that the time spent reading this short fic was not wasted in any way. Hope that you enjoyed reading this as much as I have enjoyed writing it! Turns out that I actually stuck to 7 chapters for this fic, hope that the ending isn't too abrupt though!

Thank you for all your kind subscribes, comments, and for simply giving this fic a chance! I wouldn't have been able to make it this far without every single one of you :')

Thank you all so much! <3

- lauren