part one

True Love is Knowing the Other's Complicated Coffee Order

please excuse any mistakes 

 

 

Jinyoung's walk back to his dorm was full of him running into random people and objects. He didn't mean to, of course, it was all a result of him being too deep in his own mind. Today had been thoroughly confusing and he was trying to make sense of it. 

The start of the day had been relatively normal. He had no classes today so he could easily pick up a shift at the small coffee shop he scored a part time job at. Everything was going smoothly until a certain student walked in. A transfer student, named Im Jaebum, to be exact. He had been added to Jinyoung's Literature class about a week and a half ago and had little to no interactions with Jinyoung at all. Which wasn't strange considering Jinyoung is quite shy and Jaebum never seems up for conversation. 

Jinyoung just so happened to look up from the freshly washed mug he was currently drying when Jaebum walked in, followed by a girl. Sojin was her name if Jinyoung can remember correctly. 

However, after today, Jinyoung is seriously questioning his memory. 

The two had sat down at a corner table near the window and it was at that moment that it happened. 

Jinyoung has no idea how he did it — he's sure he must've out a moment — his hands moved faster than his brain. Whipping up an extremely complicated drink like it was nothing, and impressing a fellow barista named Youngjae that he's grown fond of, he then carefully placed it on a tray and walked gracefully to the table that was occupied by Jaebum and Sojin. 

"One venti, half-whole milk, one quarter 1%, one quarter non-fat, extra hot, split quad shots 1 1/2 shots decaf, 2 1/2 shots regular, no foam latte, with whip, 2 packets of splenda, 1 sugar in the raw, a touch of vanilla syrup and 3 short sprinkles of cinnamon." He announced proudly as he placed the drink down in front of a dumbfounded Jaebum. 

Sojin raised an eyebrow. "Did you call in your order before we got here or something?" 

Jaebum shrugged his shoulders, putting the mug to his lips to taste the crafted drink. "No," he took a sip, humming in satisfaction, "amazing. Absolutely perfect and delicious." He grinned, eyeing a flustered Jinyoung. 

"How did you know to make that?" Sojin questioned. 

Jinyoung opened his mouth with all the confidence in the world right as the seeming haze he was in lifted. He clamped his mouth shut. How did he make that drink?

"I-.. I'm not sure." His puzzled face only making Jaebum chuckle in amusement as he continued to sip his drink. 

"What do you mean?" Sojin pushed, a little harsher than necessary. 

"W-Well, I saw you guys come in and, I don't know, just started making the drink, I don't- I mean it just- I mean. I... don't know." He concluded, voice meek. 

He flinched in surprise when he felt a large hand rubbing at his wrist. Jaebum smiled up at him, a smile so bright that Jinyoung consider getting a pair of sunglasses. 

"Leave the boy alone, Sojin. I probably told him I liked my coffee this way before." Jaebum said, waving his bad dismissively in her direction, making her scoff. "As for you," he pointed at Jinyoung, "this is the best coffee I've ever had. Only thing that comes close to it was once when I was in Europe." 

"Oh yeah! And we were on a terrace that overlooked Paris and we saw a firework show near the Eiffel Tower." Jinyoung blurted out. 

"You've gone to Paris before?" Sojin asked, looking genuinely shocked. 

Jinyoung paused again. He had lived in Korea all his life and only took trips within the country. He hadn't been to Paris. 

"We took a trip together." Jaebum answered for him. Sojin shot both of them a questioning look, especially Jinyoung in response to his distressed look. 

Jinyoung was completely thrown off at the suddenly picture in his head of him and Jaebum sitting on a terrace. Where in the hell did it come from? Too busy flipping his brain upside down for answers, he missed Jaebum's hopeful look. 

"Okay fine whatever. I want to order something." Sojin snapped, interrupting Jinyoung's thoughts. 

"Oh! Y-Yes of course. What can I get you?"

He scribbled down the order on the pad stored in his apron pocket, fully aware of Jaebum's stare. He was looking at him with eyes full of emotions that Jinyoung didn't even know he had. Jaebum emitted such a cold aura, it was easy to assume he had no feelings. But there he was, looking at Jinyoung with what Jinyoung can only classify as adoration. 

After writing down the order, he quietly excused himself and began to walk away when Jaebum spoke again. 

"This has been J-"

Jinyoung nearly dropped the tray in his hands to form a 'J' with his hand. "J!"

"Project!" They finished together. 

Both smiling widely at each other until Jinyoung came to again and realized he had absolutely no idea what that was. Walking away quickly, he sent Youngjae to complete and deliver Sojin's order, deciding against going to the table again. 

 

Jaebum was ecstatic. He found him! He finally found him! Jinyoung, the incredibly cute Literary major and barista extraordinaire. It had been 19 years since Junior died. Jaebum's previous lover. It nearly destroyed him to watch Junior die. He was the 9th reincarnation of Jaebum's first love. The only thing keeping Jaebum together was the knowledge that the 10th reincarnation would be the final. 

It was the law of his people. If an immortal were to fall in love with a mortal, it took a total of ten lives before the love could last eternally. In every life that Jaebum met Jinyoung, each lasted longer than the other. The last one went on for over 80 years. Jaebum actually thought that life would be the eternal one. Junior never aged, and seemed to quickly get over ailments. But Junior couldn't quite recover from the injuries inflicted on him in a tragic car crash. 

19 years pasted since that day. Jaebum grew weary. He began to give up on finding his lover ever again. After having travelled the world looking for the boy, something in him told him to go back to Korea. Back to the beginning. Seoul was where he met the first Park Jinyoung. So that's where he went. He flitted around the area a bit before stumbling across a cute coffee shop. He saw delicious looking pastries in the window and decided to treat himself. The minute he walked in, the air changed. No one except him and another noticed. The raven haired boy working on a coffee order paused in his movements to look up. Jaebum locked eyes with him and knew. He knew it was him. Sadly, before Jaebum could strike up a conversation with him, he ducked out of Jaebum's line of sight and never reappeared. Jaebum decided to collect information from the friendly cashier with a bright smile. Afterwards, Jaebum managed to worm his way into Jinyoung's class, to get closer to him. 

But his baby was never an out going one. In every life he was kept to himself. Jaebum almost let that deflate him. That is until Jinyoung walked up to him with the most ridiculous coffee order in hand. Executed perfectly. 

Jinyoung was remembering things from his past lives. In one life, he would always make that drink for Jaebum. And now here he was, making it again for Jaebum, like the information never left his brain. 

Jaebum was ready to launch himself onto Jinyoung at that moment, but restrained himself. Judging the look on Jinyoung's face, the poor teenager had no idea what was going on. But that was okay with Jaebum. This is the time Jaebum has been waiting for. This Jinyoung is his to keep. His to love. Forever. 

Death can't part them anymore. If Jinyoung accepts Jaebum, and his own fate, Jaebum can finally have his true love and soulmate to last for ages. 

Jaebum's is more than ready to guide Jinyoung through this. He just hopes Jinyoung is willing to follow.