The Blurry Image of The Sky

Inside Story

OST: Well Done Again My Friend by Day6

***********************************************************************

Jae hyung once told him that he’s the cutest, most adorable kid imaginable. What Jae said really represented his brothers’ opinion, and everyone’s opinion, for that matter. Being 22 could mean several different things, but when you’re the youngest member of a band, you were really seen as the baby of the group. He never felt that he minded that. It was true, he’s indeed the youngest. And in many ways, he enjoyed his position.

His Hyungs were not the type who bossed around their maknae. On the contrary, they let him do whatever he wanted. He met other maknaes from different groups, where the youngest had to clean more, carry the hyung’s bags or eat the leftovers of the hyungs in every meals. Day6 hyungs were very different. He never cleaned more than the other hyungs. Sung Jin even often sent him away when he tried to wash the dishes, afraid he would break any of their cups or bowls.

Any of his hyungs would offer to carry his drum set bag if they saw him looking even a little tired. When it’s meal time, his hyungs put more meat in his bowl first, before they even had their first bite.

So..........being a maknae? Do Woon had always been grateful for that, and for God to give him such kind hyungs.

There were moments though, when he wished he was more capable, more skilful in helping them.

It’s when Sung Jin came home from a meeting with JYP and the management after the new year. Sung Jin came home with a very serious face, calling Young K and Jae hyungdeul, discussing about the company’s plan for them in 2017.

It’s when he saw Young K hyung barely sleeping during exam time in his college, performing at music shows, composing songs, and studying. When Do Woon randomly woke up at 3 AM, he sometimes saw Young K’s bed to be empty. On the way to the toilet, he would see him at their sitting room, pouring over his notes and text books, trying to pass all his exams well.

It’s when he saw Jae hyung nearly running around on Mondays and Tuesdays, losing more weight, losing more sleep. When his allergy attacked, when he got sick due to exhaustion and when he heard him calling his sister in the U.S at dawn, saying “Nope, all’s great. Just wanna know how you’re doing”, while he knew, Jae never called his sister, unless he’s really, really overwhelmed.

It’s when he sat at his seat behind the drums, watching Won Pil trying harder and harder to reach a high note from a new song, voice cracking and coughing, but persevering. Or when he saw Won Pil helped Young K finishing the lyrics of their upcoming single, somehow filling all the hanging notes and awkward sentences smoothly.

It’s on those busy days.........on the busiest days when he saw his hyungs, his brothers, doing more than him, working harder than him, freeing him from responsibilities and burdens.

It’s when he wished he could do more, always.

He couldn’t sing. That’s a fact that haunted him ever since day one. It’s hard. It’s hard not to feel regretful when he lived, slept, ate and breathe with his four hyungs who all had amazing voices.

Sometimes they practiced acapella, and they would sound so good, and in a way it broke his heart.

Because he couldn’t join that unity of harmony, because he’s different, because he’s not good enough.

He’s not good enough.

It’s the devil’s words that seeped into his pores from time to time. That the only ability to play drums was not enough to be a Day6 member. That he was a part of them only because there were no one else, and that they would be better if they had a better member, instead of him, who still lacked a lot.

On days like that, sometimes he went out from the practice room, taking a breather at one of the empty rooms at JYP building and opened a window.

His mom once said, boys shouldn’t cry.

So when he had hard days like that, he only looked up at the blurry image of the sky, swallowing back the bitter taste of tears.

He always took care to return to the practice room looking as easy going and as cheerful as he possibly could.

*************************************************

One afternoon not too long ago, he saw Young K voicing an “arghhhhhhh, when will I ever going to finish this!!!”, pulling at his hair and banging his book on the floor, as he continued to type furiously on his laptop again. Jae, Sung Jin and Won Pil were out for a radio show, and they were left alone.

Young K looked tired. And he knew that it was his exam time, because Young K was still up when Do Woon went to bed last night, and was already up when he woke up that morning.

He tried to pass the living room with as little noise as he could, but Young K noticed him, of course.

“Vocal practice?” Young K asked.

“Ne” he answered sheepishly.

And then out of the blue, Young K requested, “Sing for me a little”

“What? No, no, no, I’m still not good enough”

“Just a little. Come on. Hyung is feeling beat. Cheer me up. Let hyung hear you sing”

“Uh......I—o-okay then”

He cleared his throat and thought of what to sing, before he took a deep breath and belted out a tune in na na na, before he sang, “Well done again, my friend. Even if no one can tell you how lucky you’ve been. I need you to know, well done again, my friend”.

He was closing his eyes.

When he opened his eyes, Young K was smiling at him.

“Yeokshi, you’ve practiced hard”

“Ne?”

“You sound better. There’s an improvement”

“Aniyo. How can three months change my voice already?”

“Well, it’s not much, but I’m not lying. You’ve improved a little”

“Jinjjayo?”

Young K nodded, his smile hadn’t left his face, “Have a good practice. Come back for dinner”

“Ye. I’m leaving, hyung”

He was on his way to the front door when Young K called him, “Do Woon-ah, you know hyungdeul are always grateful because you’ve joined us, don’t you?”

He froze and turned around.

“You complete us. Without you, we’re not Day6, do you know that?”

His eyes and throat hurt immediately, and he would hate it if he cried openly right then and there.

Seeing that Do Woon was speechless, Young K only continued.

“Hurry up, or you’ll be late for your vocal practice. Practice hard. Hyung will compose a song that fits your vocal tone someday. Until then, please wait”

“I – ne”

He hurried to the front door.

It took extra effort to not bang the door.

It was God’s mercy to have the elevator opened right when he pushed the button. When he reached the ground floor, he had already wiped his cheeks dry.

With a smile and steps a lot lighter, Do Woon decided he’d practice extra harder that day.

He’s a Day6 member after all.

 

Author’s Note:

Almost a songfic, I guess.

This is turning into insecure Day6 fics with happy endings for each character.

Do Woon is really like what Jae said, an adorable kid. He’s a great drummer, but I’m sure he had his insecurities too.

I hope he knew that it wouldn’t be Day6 without him.

I love that kid and that band. Day6 is love, Day6 is life!

PS: I had a hard day, and writing this while playing that performance on repeat made me nearly cried. I hope you enjoyed this. I really wrote this from the heart. Until next time, peaces!