Dress Up

Dress Up

A mess of orange hair bobbed up and down, the face below it one of determination and glee. Handsome leather shoes were torn from their usual spot hidden deep in a large, dark closet, while shirts and pants and jackets were set in a disheveled heap nearby. The small figure that belonged to that messy hair looked at the piles with a sense of pride before digging through it all, tossing out things unwanted while keeping close things that were deemed perfect.

"Minseok," a young voice said nearby. The figure with the orange hair looked to see a blond boy in the doorway holding a soccer ball, looking at the other curiously. "I thought you were gonna play soccer with me."

Minseok put a finger to his lips and waved the other near him. Both boys were no more than six years old, but Minseok was slightly older and liked to think he was more mature. The other boy came over with a curious look on his face, and Minseok said, "I'm tryin' on Daddy's clothes! I'm gonna be tall and handsome like him when I grow up, so I wanna know how I look in cool clothes like his!"

The blond boy nodded, smiling brightly, "Me, too; me, too! I wanna be like Daddy, too!" He put his feet in their father's large shoes, mismatching them, and laughed.

"Shhh," Minseok chided, and the other boy covered his mouth with his hands, "this is a secret mission, Lu Han. You don't wanna get us in trouble, do ya?"

Lu Han shook his head, "W-well, if you get to be Daddy, then I'll be Mama!" He moved to one of the nearby dressers and started pulling out more clothes.

As they put clothes on, pretending to be their parents, the sound of feet shuffling in the hallway came nearer and nearer. The footsteps stopped as they reached the door where the two young boys were playing and making a mess. "Lu Han, Minseok... what are you two doing?"

The boys froze and they stared at their parent, awkwardly dressed in clothes many-sizes too large. They put on their best smiles and Lu Han said ecstatically, "I'm Mama and Minseok's Daddy!"

Their parent laughed, walking in and giving them a calm smile. "Well, you both are very cute, but you made quite a mess. Daddy might be a little upset that you got into his things." Lu Han was scooped up into delicate arms, and the boy gave his "mother" a gentle hug.

"You and Daddy are both boys, so it seemed like a good thing to pretend," said Minseok matter-of-factly. He posed like his father often did while trying to look cool and handsome, but round cheeks and a bandage at his cheek made him look far more cute than cool. "Not lots of families got two dads, ya know!"

"You're right about that," their "mother" said, smiling down at both boys. Lu Han gave the man a kiss on the cheek then squirmed, wanting down. Their "mother" complied, letting the blond boy down.

"We'll clean up right away before Daddy comes home," said Lu Han, scooping up some of the clothes and attempting to cram them back into the dresser.

Their parent walked over and started folding some of the discarded shirts, placing them neatly on the bed. "How about we put these things back, but you can stay dressed up so you can show your daddy, hm?"

The youngsters nodded, smiling wide and bright. They quickly scrambled to pick up the rest of their mess, their parent helping them and showing them how to hang and fold things properly. The boys did trip a little in their over-sized clothing, but they were having fun with their "mother" anyway. Just as they cleared away the last of the shoes, the front door opened and a voice called out.

"Yixing, kids, I'm home!" Keys clacked onto a table and a jacket was hung onto a coat hook. The tapping of his feet was ended by a pair of tiny feet rushing past the trio in the bedroom, crying "Daddy's home" and their father laughed and greeted each child.

Yixing, the children's "mother," took each boy by the hand and they made their way out to greet their father. In the father's arms were two boys, younger than Minseok and Lu Han, the youngest one clinging to the tall man while the other tried his best to be free from the kisses he was receiving. "Yifan, look," Yixing said softly, indicating the boys attached to his hands. Both boys waved, then tried to get into character.

Yifan let the wiggliest of the boys in his arms down, laughing lightly at Lu Han and Minseok. "Don't you two look handsome!"

"Haha, you guys look dumb!"

"Shut up, Jongdae!" Minseok puffed out his cheeks at the boy calling them dumb.

"Hey, hey, you're not supposed to tell people to shut up," their father scolded, "but, Jongdae, you really should shut up."

"Wu Yifan!" Both Yixing and Lu Han stamped a foot and made a face, looking at Yifan before bursting out into laughter.

Yifan laughed with them, and the small boy in his arms clung tightly to him. In a soft voice, he said to his father, "Can I be like Daddy, too?" A kiss to the forehead and a chuckled "of course" were the response, causing their youngest boy to smile broadly.

The two eldest children were allowed to stay dressed as their parents for the rest of the evening, until it was time for their evening baths before bed. They both had such fun mimicking their parents, and when it was time for sleep, they were lulled off by Yixing's voice as he sang a lullaby he had written just for them.

When each parent had managed to get their children to sleep, they met in their bedroom to prepare for bed. It was nearly 9pm but both men were exhausted. Yixing had stayed home with the children all day while Yifan had been working overtime. They were saving up for a family vacation and were trying so hard to keep it a secret. As they each settled into their side of the bed, they kissed.

"Minseok and Lu Han were very cute today," Yifan muttered, pressing a kiss into Yixing's shoulder. "Did you put them up to it?"

Yixing let out a small laugh, nuzzling deep into his husband's chest. "They did it all themselves. They made a mess, but we cleaned it together in time for you to get home. Was it a good surprise?"

"It was a wonderful surprise," was the lazy reply as he wrapped his arms tightly around Yixing's thin frame. "Goodnight."

"Mm-hm..."