Part 1.

Can you stay with me like that?

Is it professional to let your crush, or general fondness of a person shine through an article when you’re supposed to stay objective? Junmyeon would have to say no, yet he couldn’t help himself once again when it came to the star of their university’s baseball team. His infatuation wasn’t necessarily a problem, if only he managed to hide it when writing his articles.

Sometimes he lacked the control to manage it well and some things would slip through the filter he tried to adapt. When that happened he was called into his editor’s office and he would see the same look of disapproval on Sungmin’s face.

“You know what I am going to say right?” Sungmin asked him.

“I should pay better attention to what I write and have someone check my pieces before I submit them” Junmyeon answered robotically. He knew the speech inside and out because he had heard it one too many times. It made him feel stupid. Why couldn’t he just do well like in every other part of his life? Why was this handsome looking and very sweet baseball player ruining things for him? Of course he didn’t blame the man, it was all his fault but sometimes Junmyeon thought it would be a lot easier for him if he wasn’t so smitten with him.

“I am not kidding when I say you are the best we have for covering these sport events. Your writing is well put together, exciting, creative and rather passionate if you’re able to hide your fascination for Zhang Yixing. You can turn a boring, uneventful game into something every person on campus must’ve read.” Sungmin looked at him earnestly.

“Jun, I’d really hate to give this slot to someone else. Please have someone check your pieces. You can even email them to me if you want,” his editor told him.

“I will do my best! Thank you for not giving up on me. I can do better I promise.” Junmyeon said with a bow. He was really grateful that he was given so many chances, but he was also aware that Sungmin’s patience was running thin. He felt genuinely apologetic that he has put his editor through extra work all these times. They couldn’t afford having to rewrite or tweak an article when the paper had to be put out in two days. He just had to pay better attention to his work and have Sehun scan through his pieces before he submitted them. He was sure the younger wouldn’t mind.

Despite the struggle with his job at the college newspaper the rest of his academic career went on smoothly, just like his parents would want. Not that he felt pressured to do really well. He loved school, learning and anything to do with education since his parents were both professors. His family thought highly of education and its purposes and therefore wanted Junmyeon to get a degree first instead of struggling as a starting singer. They wanted him to have a back up, a safety net he could depend on when his other dream failed him. Therefore Junmyeon picked journalism to be his desired major. When he was young he would always copy and paste articles and pictures that he liked, to form his own newspaper, so the choice to go into journalism was an easy one.

At the university he was beloved amongst fellow students and teachers. Junmyeon was a well mannered and polite gentleman who worked hard for the goal he set for himself. He was ambitious, with the want to excel and would push himself to the extreme to get to where he wants to be. In a way that could make him seem scary and intimidating to others, but his kindness made up for that. He would offer his fellow students his time to tutor them or help them out in any other way. All in all Junmyeon was seen as a nice, helpful kid with outstanding manners towards his seniors and elders. The dream of every mother in law. There was however one person who seemed to be completely oblivious of his existence.

That person was Zhang Yixing, the star of the baseball team and the person of interest. He was a rather shy person who tends to live in his own little bubble of baseball, dance and music. The younger picked music composition and theory as his major because he strongly desired to compose music, whether that would be for an artist or for movies. Music was the thing he lived and breathed for. Funnily enough there were other students in his year who excelled and he had to be content with living in their shadow, which he was. Yixing was a very modest person who believes that if you work hard it will show its results in one form or another. If he didn’t pass a goal he would still be grateful of the growth he attained  and will work harder to change the outcome. He loved pushing his body to the edge of its power, as he did when he danced. He enjoyed the cheers from the crowd whenever he hit a homerun, and he took pride in the fact that he was loved by people for his talent. From a young age he was surrounded by pianos, guitars, drums, etcetera so how he ended up being the best of their school in baseball was a mystery to him. It wasn’t a career he wanted to pursue but he did find a sense of happiness within the sport.  However Yixing also knew that a career in baseball was only short lived and that after a few years he couldn’t will his body to do the things it needed to do. That’s why he decided to not take any offers by baseball teams. He wanted a career in music, and that was final. Yixing wanted to follow his heart and that led him to music, not baseball. He would bask in the cheers of his fans for now, but he hoped later on in life that he would receive the same cheers for his composition. Following their dreams no matter what is what Junmyeon and Yixing have in common, and what will bring them closer together.

*****

“YIXING! YIXING! XING XING WHERE ARE YOU”

Yixing woke up out of a dreamless sleep by his roommate shouting in the livingroom. Groggily he came out of bed and went to see what all the fuss was about.

“Why the loud noise Baekhyun?” Yixing said sleepily with an undertone of annoyance. He had a late class today so he was finally able to catch up on some much needed sleep. Sadly that was interrupted by his always loud best friend.

Yixing and Baekhyun had met each other by chance when the eldest took a stroll past the rehearsal rooms within the music department of the building. He had heard someone sing his favorite song to which he grew curious who this angelic sounding voice belonged to. He had been completely enchanted by the short, vulnerable looking boy sitting at a grand piano accompanying himself whilst he sang. He wasn’t aware of the door falling shut behind him until he saw the younger being startled by the sudden noise. Yixing had quickly apologized and moved towards the door to walk away until the stranger asked him to stay.

“So you like my singing huh?” Baekhyun had asked. Yixing could only nod, suddenly feeling very shy. He wasn’t particularly gifted with the talent of conversing with strangers, but it came natural to Baekhyun, which was the reason why they engage in conversation for a good half an hour. They talked about music, singing, performing and both men proclaimed their desire to work in the music industry; Baekhyun as a singer and/or musical star and Yixing as a composer and/or producer. He found out that Baekhyun was studying theater because it came closest to what he wanted to do. They covered a lot of ground on that first meeting but both of them knew immediately that this was a friendship that lasted for life.

When their second year came around they decided to rent an apartment together and therefore save a lot of money. Their living space was filled with instruments and a record player which was on 24/7. The friendship between both men was perfectly balances; a mix between give and take, push and pull. Yixing is introverted and prefers the company of a few close friends, whilst Baekhyun is very outgoing and is the face of every party. The younger is more relaxed and needs to be coaxed in working hard whilst it comes naturally to Yixing, but he can take it a little too far as well. When that happens Baekhyun comes in and makes sure the elder takes a break, eats and gets a little bit of fresh air. But when the younger would be late for a class it was always Yixing who dragged him out of bed and forced him out the door. They support each other through thick and thin, are aware they are different but found a way to make it work. Yixing was very fond of Baekhyun, although not very much so in this particular moment.

“The school newspaper came out today and it has another piece about last Saturday’s game in it” Baekhyun said excitedly, totally oblivious to Yixing’s annoyance.

“Why couldn’t that wait until after I woke up?” Yixing asked.

“Well you are awake now aren’t you? So here take a look” the younger answered cleverly and threw the newspaper in his friend’s face. Yixing took the paper and sat down at their little dining table to read the article. He didn’t understand what all the fuss was all about. It was a good piece and he certainly got a lot of praise but it wasn’t anything out of the ordinary. He had played a great game, so did the rest of the team and the article didn’t stand out from others he had read before. The author was consistent and always full of praise.

“What am I supposed to see here Baek?” Yixing inquired.

“Do you really not see it?”

“It seems like a perfectly normal article to me. Nothing out of the ordinary” Yixing really didn’t know what his best friend was on about. If he didn’t tell him soon he would shake it out of him; this was getting slightly annoying.

“Are you really that oblivious?” his best friend asked.

“No baek, god just tell me ok?” Yixing was getting really desperate to know now and he felt Baekhyun just kept teasing him.

“Doesn’t the writing seem a little weird to you?” he was asked. To be honest, he didn’t think it strange. It was the same as normal, so he just shrugged.

“Xing, this guy who wrote this, he likes you!”

‘He liked me?’ That must be the most ridiculous thing he has ever heard.

“That’s stupid! He is just writing about the game” Yixing countered.

“Oh my god. Yixing you are a fantastic player but writing ‘Star player Zhang Yixing handsomely sliding towards third base’ underneath a photo doesn’t really look professional. He only gushes about you, and not towards your teammates.” Baekhyun started “The man adores you and I have noticed it for quite some time.” Yixing looked at his friend as if he were crazy.

“I see that look and yes perhaps it is totally insane, and yes I may be wrong but when have I ever been wrong about this stuff?” His friend asked.

That was true, Baekhyun was hardly ever wrong about this stuff. He had an amazing insight towards people and was a star in figuring them out by observing them. So it was highly possible that he was right about this writer guy as well.

“It may be that you are right, but we cannot know for sure unless the guy actually says he does, and until that moment I will just go about my business and leave this be. I ask you to do the same. Please don’t meddle Baek.” Yixing pleaded.

“But he may be scared to tell you!”

“No, Baek! Leave it be. I know you mean well and want me and others to be happy, That’s who you are and I love you for it, but do you even know this person?” Yixing cut him off. It’s not something he liked doing but Baekhyun had the tendency to fix everyone and everything. The guy had such a big heart that sometimes had to be looked after otherwise he would cross some boundaries.

“I know his name is Kim Junmyeon, and that he is a journalism major” Baekhyun said matter of factly. Yixing eyes widened at the mention of his name. He knew this person.

“Do you know him?” his best friend inquired suspiciously.

*****

Junmyeon was backstage of the local cafe where he was about to go on stage of their weekly open mic night. He sang here every week and quickly established a small fanbase. There were a few people who came to see him night after night. Occasionally they would come up and talk to him, compliment him and wish him luck. They were very nice people. There was Jongin, who was also a student at their university but majored in dance and he always gave Junmyeon a standing ovation. A sweet girl named Irene would always bring him a bottle of water after his set and tell him he did an amazing job, and her friend Seulgi would constantly gush about how handsome he looked on stage. He was grateful that they always said such kind words to him and it made him happy to know that people liked to listen to his singing. It made him a little less nervous when he could spot them in the crowd before his set started.

“You were great again Junmyeon!” Irene squealed when he walked off stage and towards the bar.

“Thank you! For coming as well. I really appreciate it and it makes me less nervous if I see a familiar face” he answered, a big smile on his face.. Irene brushed the compliment off and said that it was a pleasure to hear him play. Junmyeon vowed that if he ever made it big he’d give Irene his first album as a present.

“I really hope you will be discovered soon. You deserve everything and more.” Irene started but he shook his head in disbelief. “Hey, don’t shake your head at me mister! I mean it when I say you are amazingly talented at what you do. Any agency would be lucky to have you” she finished. Honestly, he thought she was being way too nice to him, but it also did him well to be praised like this every once in awhile. It was his dream to be signed to an agency, to record albums and write his own songs.

“Thanks Irene. When I become a HUGE star I will make sure that you’re the first person I forget” he said chuckling. She poked him hard in the stomach, but laughed anyway.

“No way you will ever forget your first fan, besides I brought you a load of water. I am the person keeping you hydrated right now” she joked. He was really lucky to have her by his side.

“Hyung!!!” he heard suddenly and was startled out of his thoughts.

Junmyeon turned around to see Sehun and Jongin waving at him excitedly, gesturing for him to get his over to their table. He excused himself and made Irene promise she’d say goodbye to him before she left. He walked towards his friends and noticed an unfamiliar person sitting in one of the chairs.

“Hyung we found another fan of yours!” Jongin said excitedly, grabbing his arm and pulling the elder after him. The stranger was sitting with his back towards them so Junmyeon couldn’t see who it was, but he assumed that he didn’t know him.

When they arrived at the table Jongin put his hand on the stranger’s shoulder.

“Dude, I want you to meet my good friend” the younger said and upon those words the strange man turned in his seat and faced Junmyeon. It was Yixing; his crush, the man he had admired for a good year now and who was the source of his problems at the newspaper. He was sitting right in front of him, a dimple in his cheek and a beautiful but polite smile on his face.


Why was he here? Junmyeon had never seen him in this place before, which was why he liked the cafe in the first place. He couldn’t escape confrontation with him at school. Everywhere people were talking about the great, handsome, sweet Zhang Yixing. This cafe was his refuge and now he was sitting there all pretty and smiling. He hated it, but loved it at the same time.

“Hi there, my name is Zhang Yixing” he held out his hand for Junmyeon to take but his brain had trouble to match thoughts to actions. He snapped out of his daze and shyly took his crush’ hand; shaking it.

“Oh he knows” Sehun chuckled and he gave his friend a look that said he’ll be dead once they returned to their dorm.

“It’s lovely to meet you Yixing. I am Junmyeon” he introduced himself calmly and poised, just as he had imagined many times. He wasn’t panicking, sweating or blurting out things he shouldn’t say such as how gorgeous he looked in the dim light of the establishment.

“It’s nice to meet you too. I am very impressed with your voice. Every time I come in here and hear you sing I feel at ease, like I am home.” Yixing laughed “I hope that doesn’t make me sound strange?” the younger asked. Junmyeon fiddled nervously with his fingers, knowing damn well that he was the weird one here with his stupid articles.

“That doesn’t sound strange at all” he answered politely. “I appreciate you coming to see me, and the compliment too of course. I like it that… I make you feel comfortable” he finished hesitantly. “That came out wrong!”

Yixing laughed and Junmyeon swore that’s the sound angels make up in heaven.

“Would you come sit with me and have a drink? It’s my treat, as a thank you for a wonderful performance just now,” his crush inquired. He nodded and took a seat on the bench right next to Yixing. It felt nice to be this close to him; to smell the sweet scent of cherry blossom that hung around him.

“What can I order for you?”

“A white wine, thank you” he answered shyly. Yixing left the table and he was reminded of the fact that his two friends sat across from them. Both of them had a huge smile on their faces, and Sehun even wiggled his eyebrows for dramatic effect.

“So, did I arrange that well or…?” his roommate asked smugly.

“OHMYGOD I COULD JUST HIT YOU!” He raised his voice slightly. He still voiced his frustration but it wasn’t so loud that Yixing could hear him over at the bar.

“What? We got to talking at the bar and he mentioned how much he enjoyed your singing. When I told him that we are roommates he asked to be introduced to you. I thought you’d be happy” Sehun pouted, a habit he used whenever he got himself into trouble and wanted Junmyeon to forgive him.

“I am happy, but ohmygod Sehun I haven’t even been able to prepare myself. I haven’t got any topics ready to talk about. I am sweaty from the stage lights. I wear a stupid outfit and I look gross altogether!” Now he was panicking slightly.

“Jun, calm down. This isn’t your first date and you don’t look gross, trust me. Yixing hasn’t been able to take his eyes off of you ever since you stepped on stage. He likes you, at least as a friend. Isn’t that enough right now?” Jongin told him. He may be young, but most times he was the wisest of them all.

“You are right. I am sorry, I am completely overreacting. I’ll just be myself right?” he couldn’t help but to feel nervous when he saw Yixing walking towards them, two glasses of wine in his hands.

“Exactly” both boys whispered.

“Here you go~” Yixing handed the drink over to Junmyeon who took a sip.

“Thank you” he said politely

“So Yixing is this your first time being here?” Jongin decided to ask after a 2 minute silence from everyone. He knew his friend felt a little nervous so he decided to help further the conversation.

“Actually…. I have been coming here every week for the past month, just to see you perform” He directed towards Junmyeon. A slight blush was tainting his cheeks, but the elder thought it was cute.

“Thank you for coming to see me so often. I am afraid I am still lacking very much so it really means a lot to me that you kept coming back” he answered modestly. It was important that he made a good impression but he felt that we wasn’t doing a great job so far. He was so busy being uncomfortable that he didn’t see Yixing wanting to reach for his hand. The younger could stop himself and he thought no one noticed but the boys across the table, did see it. Sehun shot Jongin a knowing smirk.

“Dude don’t be so modest. We all know that you’re an ace and that you excel at everything that you do. Even Sungmin raves about you at the newspaper” Sehun said matter of factly. The youngest was fully aware that Junmyeon wanted to hide the fact that he was the person who wrote so passionately about Yixing, but he thought that was stupid.

“You work at the newspaper?” Yixing inquired, his attention fully directed towards Junmyeon. The eldest shot Sehun a death glare before turning a little in his seat to face his crush properly.

“I do yes” he said whilst blushing. How on earth was he supposed to tell Yixing that he is the man who writes so passionately about him.

“What do you write?” the other asked further.

“Well... “ Junmyeon hesitated, and the younger just looked at him expectantly. Well here is goes, if Yixing would think him weird after this they at least shared a nice conversation.

“I write for the sports section, and reviewing the universities games is what I write about” the elder confessed. The look on Yixing’s face didn’t change much and he didn’t seem to be appalled by this news.

“So it is you who’s been writing so positively about me” Yixing said whilst smiling. Not as bad as what Junmyeon expected.

“Indeed I am. It doesn’t creep you out?” he asked.

“Not at all” Yixing chuckled. “In fact, my friend Baekhyun seems to think you have a crush on me based on what you write in your articles all the time” the younger finished. Junmyeon’s cheeks started to flare up and his mouth got really dry all of a sudden. If only his friend kept their mouths shut right now.

“Oh he does!” Sehun said. Of course his stupid roommate had to rat him out.

“What’s that?” Yixing stuttered.

Junmyeon looked at his youngest friend with a look that could kill. He mouthed to please not say anything further and to change the subject, but by the look on Sehun’s face he could tell that it was out of the question. Yixing’s gaze was going back and forth between Junmyeon and Sehun, trying to pinpoint what was happening and whether this piece of information was true. Jongin gave Junmyeon a kick under the table and mouthed to tell Yixing the truth. So he plucked up the courage to do so; if he didn’t do it, Sehun would.

“Sehun, who’ll be dead by the way, said the I do have a crush on you. I am sorry if this is weird or if you feel awkward. I can change my writing if you feel uncomfortable in any way. I can even ask my boss to be assigned to something else if you don’t want me writing about sports anymore. Whatever you want” Junmyeon blurted out.

It was never his intention to put Yixing in this position, to make him feel uncomfortable or overwhelmed with information. But once he started to talk it was hard to stop. He was afraid that everything was ruined now. He just started to get in touch with Yixing and it might soon be over. All he wanted was for this situation to be rectified and for them to be able to act normally around each other.

“I don’t feel weird or uncomfortable” Yixing started. He chose his words carefully and seemed to be deep in thought. “And I don’t want you to tell your boss. Feel free to write what you want. I actually think it’s kind of cute”

“Cute?” Junmyeon asked.

“Yeah, cute. I’ve been coming here for a while now and I think you’re cute” the younger answered. Sehun and Jongin cooed from across the table.

“I now pronounce you boyfriend and boyfriend” Jongin said casually. Junmyeon had just taken a sip of wine and nearly choked. He was coughing violently and Yixing patted him on the back, trying to soothe him. He was giggling slightly whilst Sehun almost fell off his chair from laughter.

“How about we go on a date first?” Yixing said slyly. He felt comfortable around Junmyeon and somehow it helped him being more bold. Normally he wouldn’t even have sat with them, or engaged in a conversation and certainly not asked him out, but since Jongin and Sehun were very helpful and he liked Junmyeon, it was easier to do so.


“I’d like that” Junmyeon shyly answered after he was done coughing up his lungs. He would never admit it but he was grateful of his two friends who played a huge part in this confession. He got to go on a date with Yixing!

 

*****

Hi everyone~ 
First of all thank you so much for reading this. I hope you enjoyed it. This is the first part, since I sort of ran out of time to write the full thing before the challenge on tumblr ended. I still have to write the rest, but it's all up in my head so it shouldn't take too long. I want to thank my friend Moni for checking the fic before posting. If there's still some mistakes I sincerely apologize for them. See you next time~