Better Together

Better Together

“How many times have you glanced at your phone already?” your friend queried after a few moment.

You let out a sigh as you turned your gaze back to your notebook. You realized you’ve been reading the same question for quite a while now. You put your pen down and cupped your face with both of your hands, elbow resting on the table. As you put your hands down, you let out another breath and unconsciously glanced at your phone again.

“He forgot?” You bit your lip hard and felt your chest tightened with the question asked.

It’s your anniversary but you haven’t gotten any greeting from him yet. You’ve already exchanged few text messages in the morning. Maybe he’s just preparing something? Your forehead was creased as you held a tear from escaping. He better not forget!

You instantly took your phone when it finally beeped. Your heartbeat rose when you saw sent the text. It’s Brian.

Exams are done :) I’ll see you after practice later. I love you

Your shoulders dropped and you clenched your fist. Right! He totally forgot about it. You rested your head on the table as you tried to calm yourself. He was probably too busy with school that he forgot about it. You wanted to let it slide but you couldn’t hide the fact that you’re salty about it.

You got another text asking if there’s something wrong because you haven’t answered to his message. And again, you didn’t bother to. Few more texts came but still you ignored them.

Few hours passed and still, no dice. You ruffled your hair out of frustration and decided to finally text him.

I’ll go ahead. I’ll see u tom.

You got more frustrated when even after a couple of minutes you got no reply from him. Despite saying you’re going ahead, you haven’t really left. 20 minutes passed and still he hasn’t replied. You massaged your temple as you heaved a sigh. Yeah, I better just go home.

As you took a step out of the library’s door, someone called your attention and told you to follow her. Who is she? She seemed familiar and that’s when you realized she’s one of Brian’s classmates in a minor subject.

When you asked her where you are headed to she just answered you with a smile. A man suddenly approached you and gave you a red carnation. You arched your brows and hesitated to receive it. When you were about to ask him what that was for he immediately turned his back and walked away.

Red carnation? Brian?

You looked ahead and saw the girl smiling at you and motioned you to continue following her.

When you arrived at the school’s quadrangle you were taken aback when you saw Brian and his friends at the center. There was a mic in front of him and he has a guitar strapped around his neck. He showed a soft and small smile when he saw you and started singing the first song he sang for you: Better Together by Jack Johnson.

You tried to calm your heart and tried to act normal but being overwhelmed is evident on your face. He’s serenading you in front of many people. His eyes are darted on you as your heart beats with every word he intones. His voice was sweet and smooth; his face is shouting how much he’s into you.

When he finished the song, he took the guitar and gave it to Sungjin who sang with him. He hurriedly came to you, draped his arm around your waist and gave you a quick peck on the lips.

“Happy anniversary!”

You tried to curb a smile from showing as you playfully hit his chest “You forgot though!”

He chortled, such a sweet harmony to your ears “I did not”

“You did!” You tried to act livid but your face screams how much you loved what he did.

He just answered you with another chuckle as he pull you closer to his embrace and kiss you on the top of your head. You surrendered by wrapping your arms around him as you snuggled on his chest.

Fine, I’ll let this one slide.