The Girl I Used to Know

The Girl I Used to Know

“Hello miss,” A woman smiled at Jiyeon who seated in the middle of a coffee shop. “Are you my blind date?” She asked Jiyeon.

“Y-yes.” Jiyeon answered nervously, it had been a while since she went out looking for someone to date. She wore a completely black outfit, she didn’t have many colors in her wardrobe for the past few years.

She looked at the woman who spoke to her, she had beautiful long hair.

“I’m sorry,” Jiyeon spoke, “It has been a while since I’ve been outside.”

“No problem,” The woman had a bright smile on her face, “What’s your name?”

“They call me Kang Seungyeon,” The woman smiled.

“I’m Park Jiyeon, nice to meet you,” She shook Seungyeon’s hand. They felt very smooth and very familiar. She stared at her hand as she held on to Seungyeon’s hand.

“Are you okay?” Seungeon asked cheerfully to Jiyeon.

“Sorry for being weird,” Jiyeon withdrew her hand. She looked downward to the table. Now that their date had officially started, they ordered their food and began to try to get to know each other.

“I knew someone who used to always order pig’s feet, just like you,” Jiyeon smiled as she mumbled her words.

“Finally a smile from you,” Seungyeon laughed. “Want to try some?” She used her chopsticks and tried to feed Jiyeon, she lifted the pig’s feet in air.

Jiyeon was hesitant at first, she hadn’t been fed since her last girlfriend. “F-fine.” She opened and let Seungyeon feed her. A tear rolled down her cheek.

“What’s wrong?” Seungyeon asked.

“It’s nothing, I just remembered something…” Jiyeon grabbed her jacket and walked out of the date.

“Wait Jiyeon-ah!” Seungyeon got up from her seat and followed Jiyeon.

“I can’t do it, I’m sorry,” Jiyeon told Seungyeon as she chased after her.”

“We don’t have to date,” Seungyeon told her, “We can just be friends.” She tried to quicken her walking pace to keep up with Jiyeon.

Jiyeon lost her temper and yelled, “I can’t take it anymore Eunjung-ah!” She quickly shut , “Sorry I didn’t mean to say that.” Her memories of her ex-girlfriend was too hard to bare. The two of them were walking through a cross walk.

“Who?” Seungyeon’s head started to hurt. She stopped in the middle of the street as Jiyeon kept walking.

“So please leave.” Jiyeon didn’t realize that Seungyeon had stopped following her. Then, Jiyeon turned around. “Y-yah! You can’t stop in the middle of the road.” She quickly went back to push Seungyeon out of the way of car that was coming toward her.

“Ah!” Seungyeon rolled on the floor on as she was pushed by Jiyeon. She came to her senses and her head stopped hurting. “Jiyeon-ah!” She screamed.

Jiyeon also rolled on the floor, getting one of her feet run over by the wheel of the tire. She tried to move but she couldn’t with the pain. “Aaggh…” She moaned.

“Jiyeon-ah omo!” Seungyeon ran to her and pulled her up slightly. They were able to safely get off the street. “We need to get to a hospital,” She was strong enough to give Jiyeon a piggy-back ride.

For a very long moments, none of them spoke. Jiyeon finally broke the long silence, “Thank you…”

“Can I ask you who Eunjung is?” Seungyeon asked, “Sorry, I know this is sudden, you don’t have to answer.”

Jiyeon decided that this was the best time to get it off her chest, “Eunjung was my ex-girlfriend, she died in a car accident…”

“I’m sorry to hear that…” Seungyeon continued to carry Jiyeon until they could find the closest hospital.

“She died trying to save me from a car that almost ran me over,” Jiyeon said as tears rolled down her cheeks.

_______Flashback_______

“I love you Eunjung-unnie,” Jiyeon held Eunjung’s hand as they hiked along a trail in the hills.

“You’re so cute,” Eunjung said to Jiyeon as she swung their hands as they were walking. They came to see the scenery and take it the fresh air of nature. The sky was blue and there were a few clouds in the sky. They walked right along a highway.

“Watch out Jiyeon-ah!” Eunjung screamed as a crazy drunk driving car swerved in their direction.

“Eunjung-ah!?” Jiyeon was pushed away to safety but she saw that Eunjung was struck and rolled away and slipped off the edge of the cliff. She luckily was able to grab on with one arm.

“Eunjung!!” Jiyeon ran over to the edge of the cliff. She quickly grabbed Eunjung’s working arm. She saw one of Eunjung’s shoulders was all bloody and cut from the impact. The car had already driven as far away as possible.

“I can’t hold on much longer Jiyeon-ah,” Eunjung said with tears coming down her face. “You have to help yourself.”

“I’m fine!” Jiyeon said as she tried to pull Eunjung up, she felt a pain in her arms. She didn’t realize how hurt she was too.

“I love you Jiyeon-ah,” Eunjung’s gripped loosened as she weakened and she slipped down the cliff and out of sight.

“EUNJUNG!!!” Jiyeon screamed and cried. She ran as fast as she could to find help.

_____Flashback end_____

“Are you okay?” Seungyeon asked Jiyeon. “You haven’t been talking?”

Jiyeon was stuck in deep thought, remembering her past.

“I can see the hospital Jiyeon-ah,” Seungyeon said. “Jiyeon-ah?” She turned her head to look at the girl she was carrying on her back. Jiyeon’s face was almost white and she was feeling very cold.

“Jiyeon-ah!” Seungyeon put her down for a moment and removed her jacket and wrapped Jiyeon in it. “We’re almost there! Stay with me!”

Jiyeon could barely open her eyes. She caught of glimpse of Seungyeon’s shoulder and saw a scar where she remembered Eunjung got her injury. “W-where did you get that...?” She asked Seungyeon.

___Flashback____

“There’s a girl here!” A woman found Eunjung unconscious. She quickly called for a help and they were able to carry her to the closest hospital.

“Who am I?” Eunjung couldn’t remember anything that happened. She touched her head and realized that she had stiches. Her shoulder also had stiches. She was told not to move too much.

A few years had passed since the accident and people decided to give her a new name.

Seungyeon.

__Flashback ends ___

“Jiyeon… I remember,” Seungyeon/Eunjung spoke. “Jiyeon-ah…. “ She started to cry.

“E-eunjung-unnie…” Jiyeon smiled with the little energy she had left. She stared at Seungyeon’s/Eunjung’s face, she imagined her without her long black hair, back to the short hair when she was still her girlfriend. “You’ve been alive all these years…”

“I’m sorry that I forgot you,” Eunjung held Jiyeon closely. “Thank you for saving me.”

“No, you’ve saved me countless times,” Jiyeon said as they looked at each other in the eyes. Their lips connected for a long moment and then finally parted.

“You better be okay!” Eunjung carried Jiyeon her back once again and ran towards the hospital.

“All I wanted was for you to come back,” Jiyeon said as the reached the hospital. All the hospital workers rushed to help Jiyeon on to a bed where they could examine her injuries.

Eunjung sat outside waiting for Jiyeon, suddenly she remembered who she was, it was just like that night again.