Chapter 4

Choose

One whole week of practice has passed and the assembly showcase was quickly coming up. The tension in the practice room intensifies as every member dances to the beat. No one wanted to mess up at this point in time. There was a lot of pressure, especially on Jeongguk who was practicing for two different dances. With his talent and the fact that he has never joined the dance team before this year, there were very high expectations.

When he would walk through the hallways, he can't help but notice the eyes boring into him. News spread fast about his skills but because he lacked in the socializing department, he wasn't quite sure if the stares were of admiration or mockery.

He tried his best to shrug it all off, but anxiety has always won over him. He didn't know how to respond to his classmates who started conversing with him. Frankly, these people were only talking to him because of his status on the dance team. Jeongguk knew this but the popularity could still not increase his confidence. He didn't want to mess up the performance in the assembly.

More importantly, he didn't want to mess up his performance with Jimin.

_____________________________________________________________

"So how's college, hyung?" Namjoon asks as he pours the beer into Yoongi's cup. The group was in Namjoon's house on a Saturday, not having much planned for that day. "It's going pretty well. I finally have subjects that are only focused on music instead of that Calculus from high school." Yoongi responds. The three laugh, basking in the now-rare moment that their group was complete.

Yoongi graduating had a lot more changes than expected. High school, though they were in different grades, meant that they were in the same building every day.  Yoongi's university was on the other side of the city, meaning 20-30 minutes of travel time between their school and his. Taehyung has never expressed it openly, but he has been lonely ever since the oldest's departure. Yoongi was like his second dad, allowing him to stay over when he couldn't stand the sight of his own dad. There has been a year wherein he was at Yoongi's place way more times that he was at his own house.

Taehyung has his own room in Yoongi's family house, not a guest room but an actual room. It has posters of Taehyung's favorite bands and some of his clothes, especially his favorite ones. The elder has taught him three valuable things which have kind of become his lifeline phrases.

1. Don't let your past get to you 2. Don't let anyone see your vulnerable side 3. Don't ever, under any circumstances, betray those who care about you

These three things were gradually taught to him as their friendship progressed, as his life started going downhill because of his situation at home. Namjoon as well has helped him walk through his personal hell, usually financially. Namjoon's family was filthy rich but only the three boys knew about it. Namjoon's reputation of being the class bully would be ruined if people knew he was one of the rich kids living on the upper west side of the city alongside the kids of celebrities and senators. Namjoon usually bought him his uniform and school supplies.

But just like Taehyung, they all were going through their own personal hell. It's kind of funny how the things that they hated brought them closer to each other. Because Namjoon's family was rich, that meant arranged marriages to further improve the business. Two years ago, his older sister who he loves dearly and technically the only family member he has ever loved, was married off to a wealthy hotel owner despite her many objections. Namjoon couldn't handle seeing his sister suffer, more so knowing he can't do anything about it. He knows beating up kids won't do anything to help him through his guilt of just standing there while the wedding was happening, but it's a temporary fix for him.

Yoongi on the other hand, had to understand how the world works at a very young age. Taehyung thinks that the reason Yoongi does so well in taking care of him is because he has done nothing but take care of his family ever since his dad died of cancer. His mom works so hard, balancing two jobs at the same time, making Yoongi wish for some miracle that will ease his mom's pain. She barely had time to grieve her own husband's death since she had four kids to feed.

Taehyung feels that the tattoos, alcohol, bullying are all just temporary fixes for all of them. Oh, how he wished something big would happen to his friends so the suffering would stop. No one deserves this much pain.

His upsetting thoughts were interrupted when he senses a hand wave close to his face. It was Yoongi.

"Hey kid. you kind of um... spaced out."

"Oh sorry, hyung.."

Yoongi was hesitant for a second but asked anyway. "Is it your dad again? I know that we spend less time with college and all but you should know that your still welcome in my house. Just walk right in, dude." he smiles assuringly. Taehyung immediately beams and lunges forward, hugging Yoongi tightly. Namjoon laughs while Yoongi grunts. "No hyung, its just that I've missed you so much!!! it's not the same without you" he pouts at the end earning more laughs from Namjoon.

"You're one sappy , you know that right?" Yoongi jokes and the three down another round of beer. They talk more about Yoongi's college life and the day is spent with just that and video games and pizza. It was a simple day unlike the others where they go bar hopping or watch illegal car races but it was enough.

________________________________________________

 

The solo dance with Jimin was exactly Jeongguk's nightmare. It was a y somewhat slow dance that required so many body rolls, swaying of the hips and in their coach's words: 'y gazes'. Jimin was doing well obviously, moving gracefully to the female's singing voice for their song. Jimin took a few years studying Contemporary and his passion for dance help him move rhythmically to the soft melodies. Jeongguk however has never danced to this type of music, only being exposed to hip hop. Jeongguk had a hard time 'loosening up'.

Since the coach trusts Jimin a lot, the pair was usually left alone during practice. This added to Jeongguk's anxiety not wanting to disappoint the leader yet it has added to Jimin's wanting to spend more time with the mysterious bunny who becomes a beast once he starts dancing.

"Bunny, I know that being told the same thing over and over again but you really need to sway your hips more," Jimin says as he walks to the table to pause the music. Jeongguk groans but eventually mutters apologies. Jimin presses his tongue to his cheek, wondering what he should do. He has never taught anyone how to 'loosen up' especially with Jeongguk's case which was deemed the most difficult.

"Okay this won't do," Jimin says as he drags a chair in front of Jeongguk. "I'm gonna sit here and you're going to sway those stubborn hips in front of me until I'm satisfied," he finishes. Jeongguk visibly gulps and freezes at his position which was at the very center of the empty practice room. He doesn't know how but he swore he felt a sudden temperature change. His whole body felt so hot, sweating profusely just from his leader's words. "I..um..don't..." but he doesn't know how to continue his sentence. If he was going to perfect this provocative move (Jeongguk believes it's provocative) he would gladly just do it alone in the privacy of his room.

"Jeongguk, do you have a problem with this move, or the choreo itself?" Gone was the smiling, laughing and carefree Jimin, the whole day he has been expressionless much to Jeongguk's fear. "Do you think it's too girly, too feminine, huh?" Jimin doesn't know where this attitude is coming from. He's not mad at Jeongguk. He just wishes that they wouldn't have to repeat certain parts since the showcase is coming up. He may be unsure of what he feels for the other, but that will never ever get in the way of his dancing. "N-no!" Jeongguk responds, more like shouts. He's horrified by the loudness of voice and the sudden widening of Jimin's eyes. He takes a lot of steps back, hands unconsciously going up in defense."I- I've just n-never done it b-before a-and you're s-such a g-good danc-cer, I didn't want t-to disappoint a-and..." Jeongguk doesn't realize he's rambling, talking fast, taking more steps backward and turning beet red.  All tale telling signs anxiety is winning over him.

He keeps going and going until his back hits the wall harshly, crying in pain. Jimin suddenly rises from his seat almost making the chair fall. "Jeongguk, calm down!" The two were at the opposite sides of the room. Jeongguk feels tears prick at his eyes feeling so much shame. Self-loathing thoughts start running through his head as he bores holes into the ground. Great I've messed up again. Jimin hates me.I'll never perfect this dance. Why did the coach pick me?! There were so many other great dancers. Jeongguk hates the distance between them. He knows that his long legs can close the distance with just four easy long strides but he can't move. He misses the leader and wants nothing but to go back to the day they met. Everything was light and happy, unlike today.

Jimin suddenly feels a great deal of guilt overcome him. Scaring Jeongguk was the last thing on his mind. He has never taught anyone like this and he honestly doesn't know where this attitude is coming from. He hates this. He hates this so much. He doesn't know what is making him act up yet he is scaring someone he cares about. "Let's just call it for today, okay? We're both exhausted, Jeongguk. Let's go home." Jimin says with a sigh. He didn't mean to sound like he was tired of coaching Jeongguk all day and wants nothing to do with him but the universe justs hates him today. He witnesses with so much pain Jeongguk flinch at his words. Not wanting to make things worse, he packs his things and walks toward the door which was conveniently right beside the spot Jeongguk backed up to.

Jimin knows the sight of him walking towards the door just worsens Jeongguk's condition who actually has been crying muffled sobs through his jacket sleeve, but he honestly doesn't know what else to do. With heavy steps, he walks towards the door and as he turns the door knob slowly, his head moves faster than his brain and he turns to look at Jeongguk. The universe just seems to have everything planned since Jeongguk also turns his head to face him.

They lock gazes.

Jimin can see hundreds of emotions in Jeongguk's teary eyes, none of them happy ones. Maybe it's just Jeongguk's lack of social expertise but he's having the hardest time trying to read Jimin's expression. When he can't see anything but a straight-faced Jimin, he breaks eye contact immediately and cries more into his soaked sleeve. Jimin takes this as his cue and opens the door to exit the room.

_____________________________________________________________________

Everything after that was blurry to Jeongguk. He doesn't know how but he finds himself in Taehyung's arms hearing sweet nothings to calm him down. He feels a warm hand rub circles in his back and every time he would insult himself or say that it was his fault, he'd hear soft shushes and no's from Taehyung. His boyfriend asks him why he's crying and Jeongguk bursts like a dam telling him everything that happened through sobs.

Everything after that was blurry to Jeongguk. He finds Taehyung standing up shouting words but he couldn't focus. He's too overwhelmed with all these emotions. The constant crying is sapping all of his energy making him lightheaded. He just wants to end this day, perfect the damn move and stop disappointing everyone. He cries some more and loudly when he starts imagining the faces of the dance members all glaring at him. Taehyung however, was deeply focused on one thing and one thing only.

He was going to end this Park Jimin for making Jeongguk cry.