Chapter 1

Choose

A loud crash is heard from the end of the hallway. Everyone turns their heads to find the source of this, including Jeongguk. Apparently, it's another nerd, the notorious school gang has pushed to the lockers. "I'm sorry, I won't do it again!" the kid begs as he desperately wiggles his way out the bully's hold. The whole gang just laughs and yet not one student has approached them to stop. No one really does. It's either you watch or you don't. Anyone who interferes might just get something worse.

"You won't do it again? I told you I needed that assignment today but where is it now, hmm?" the pink haired bully asks, voice loud enough for everyone to hear. The kid just mumbles more apologies but the group just continues to laugh, passing around the kid's backpack and trying to find something valuable.

 

"Look at this!" One of them pipes up. Jeongguk knows him, Taehyung. He's holding out a silver necklace and dangles it in front of his face. "It's so shiny," he says, flashing his friends a boxy smile. "Wait! Please, that's my mom's. I'm begging you, don't do anything to it please!" the kid says between choked sobs. "I won't, I'm just going to wear it," Taehyung says while unclasping the necklace to put around his neck, still smiling. The kid looks at him wide-eyed not sure what to do. The pink haired bully finally lets him go and the kid falls to the ground coughing violently. "This isn't the end, got it?" he hisses before he starts walking away. Another guy from their group shouts "What are ya'll looking at?!" With that, everyone averts their gazes, except Jeongguk who stares hard at the group.

 

Not again, this was running through Jeongguk's mind as he eyes the group. Taehyung finds him but he looks away, shoving books in and out of his locker to look busy. He thinks he hears him call him but the sound is muffled by the school bell. He shuts his locker close and walks fast, trying to get away from the scene.

I can't believe you, Tae.

 

____________________________________________

Taehyung knows he screwed up big time when Jeongguk pretends not to hear him. He knew from the beginning that this relationship would not be easy but he did not expect it to be so hard. His friends were already doubting his loyalty to them, asking him why he stays silent when they punish students. Wearing that kid's necklace was to show his friends he was still as mean and ruthless as before. He felt guilt crawl up his skin as he unclasps the necklace to put around his neck. It was all just a show but it seems that it has worked when he sees his friend Yoongi smirk at him.

He has gained his friends' approval again yet he still feels like he's walking on thin ice. What appeals to his friends does not do the same for his secret boyfriend, Jeongguk. They've been dating in secret for months since Taehyung doesn't have the guts to admit to the world that he's dating someone who was sweet, innocent and smart, everything he isn't.

Jeongguk has told him countless times how he can't handle seeing him tripping and shoving kids and countless times has Taehyung promised to stop. Jeongguk understands his dilemma of trying to appease his friends but he knows that there's a limit to Jeongguk's understanding.

What's worse is how he can never tell his friends so he has to suffer in silence.

"I'm gonna skip third period" Taehyung says to his two friends, as he fiddles with his new necklace. His friends mutter 'okays' so he runs to the other end of the hallway and makes his way to his favorite spot. The spot he and Jeongguk secretly meet up at. He prays to every god out there that he's there too.

_____________________________________________

"Jeongguk!" he calls out. True enough, he's there, in the old and abandoned school playground behind the school. Jeongguk is sitting one of the swings, staring forward. He hears Taehyung but doesn't acknowledge it.

Taehyung bends down slowly in front of Jeongguk but he still would not look him in the eye. "I'm sorry Gguk. My friends were starting to doubt me so I had to do something. Please forgive me." After a few beats of silence, Jeongguk finally looks at him and sighs. "Why can't you just leave them? The guys they bully are exactly just like me. What if I'm their victim of the week?"

Taehyung is not surprised by the question. He knows full well that Jeongguk is a possible target. He sees Jeongguk play with the hem of his shirt so he takes his hands into his and squeezes them, forcing Jeongguk to look at him again. "I promise that won't happen, ever." he says, voice unwavering. "but I can't just leave them Gguk. I don't have anyone else. They...They accept me." Jeongguk then sits up straight, eyebrows knitting in confusion.

"You have me! I accept you, everything about you." Taehyung smiles at this and moves closer to him. His whole weight is on the balls of feet and though it hurts like hell, he needs to go through it, he needs Jeongguk to understand. "but your friends don't." Jeongguk slouches again, playing with Taehyung's long fingers. He whispers an 'I know' and again they're clouded with a thick silence.

"I  forgive you" Jeongguk finally says and Taehyung looks at him wide-eyed but eventually smiles. His hands cup his cheeks and he leans forward. They kiss a sweet and chaste kiss that speaks a thousand words between 'I forgive you' and 'thanks for understanding'. They break the kiss and lean their foreheads on each other.

"Just don't  overdo it. I guess." Jeongguk says as they're both standing up. Taehyung kneads his thighs and legs and rolls his feet on the ground."I won't" he replies as they walk back to school hand in hand. Jeongguk gives him one of his rare bunny smiles and somehow the anger has now disappeared.

___________________________________________

"It's now or never JK!!" Hoseok shouts across the empty court. Jeongguk is with friends Hoseok and Seokjin in the now empty basketball court since its already after school hours. "Come on hyung. Why do I have to do this?!" Jeongguk groans as he holds the basketball in his hands. Jeongguk has to shoot the ball from the three-point line. If he succeeds, he doesn't have to join the dance team, but if he doesn't, Hoseok's is going to sign him up.

"Someone has to continue Seokjin hyung's footsteps. He's a graduate now! I don't want to be alone on the dance team" Hoseok answers while Seokjin laughs beside him. "But hyung~" Jeongguk whines "I'm not even good at basketball. This is unfair." The pair laughs again and Jeongguk rolls his eyes. "Yah! No buts! It's what the random sports generator chose on the website." Seokjin says while still laughing. Jeongguk mutters a 'fine' and starts to dribble the ball.

He holds the ball slightly above his head and focuses on the ring. Come on JK, don't screw this up. Jeongguk shoots the ball and the three watch as it glides along the ring only to have it fall on the other side. "Damn it! That was so close hyung!" Jungkook whines as he points at the ring with a petulant pout. The two walk towards him laughing and clapping.

"Well I guess someone's part of the school dance team now, " Seokjin exclaims, grinning ear to ear. It's not that Jeongguk can't dance, he actually can and he's pretty good at it. It's just that he has never really gotten over his stage fright. When he used to dance, he was always in the back row even though he was one of the best.

"Aww, don't worry JK." Hoseok coos. "I heard the new team leader is very nice and very hot." Jeongguk stares at him, opening his mouth slightly. Right, they don't know about Tae.

"Come on, it's late. Let's go home, "Seokjin finally says and the three walk out of the court.