Pleasant

Play Pretend

Word Count: 3315

Hello everyone! I'm back with my first got7/Jaebum story!! I hope you all like it! As always please leave a comment and tell me what you think! I loooooove your feedback. Thank you and enjoy~~


 

It was a bright sunny day and you decide that you are going to go drag your next door neighbor, and best friend, Im Jaebum from his dark house and out into nature. You bask in the cloudless sunshine as you stroll over, but as soon as you climb up the stairs, his front door opens.

You come to an abrupt halt as Jaebum stands before you. He blinks once in surprise before the most awkward smile you have possibly ever seen appears on his face.

“Hey, Honey?” He greets through gritted teeth. His eyes are trying to convey some message but you are at an utter loss.

“Honey?” You balk. Who is this dude and where is your best friend, the one who has only given you the pet name ‘idiot’.

“Oh! Is that her, Jaebum?” You hear a lady’s voice coming from the house and now you’re even more confused.

You lock eyes with Jaebum again and he is still shooting daggers at you, trying to debrief you without talking.

“Is now a bad time?” You ask, taking a step back.

“Uh….”

He’s shoved out the way, as an elderly lady appears where he once stood. She studies you with sparkly eyes and a knowing grin.

“So this is the girl who has taken all of my grandson’s time.”

Ding. Of course! You almost face palm as you remember Jaebum telling you his grandparents were going to be visiting him this weekend.

“Guilty as charged,” you joke awkwardly as you introduce yourself and bow respectfully.

“Why, she’s a lot prettier than in the pictures, Jaebum.”

“Pictures?” You ask with a laugh, turning to Jaebum with raised eyebrows. He shrugs, completely avoiding you.

“Let’s not be rude,” his grandmother continues. “Come in! We just finished making lunch!”

She grabs your wrist and yanks you inside Jaebum’s home, which is the cleanest you had ever seen it. A surprise being that two other adult males resided here as well.

His grandmother doesn’t let go of your wrist until you arrive in the kitchen—which does smell rather delicious—and you are now met with the grandfather. You introduce yourself again and ignore Jaebum’s presence behind you.

“Grandma,” he begins. “Why don’t you get the table ready while I go talk to my girlfriend for a moment.”

You turn so fast you get a neck cramp, but you disregard it as you stare at your best friend with wide eyes. ‘Girlfriend’? What was he going on about?

“Of course, honey.” Grandma Im says.

“Don’t take too long,” Grandpa Im hints. Winking at the two of you as Jaebum quickly ushers you into the hallway.

Out of earshot you shove the male and cross your arms, “what the hell is going on, Jaebum!?”

“Please! Let me explain!” He says quickly. His eyes are pleading so you stare at the wall behind him so that you won’t fall into his trap until after he’s pled his case.

“Well, go on,” you say grumpily.

He sighs, “they came in and the first thing they saw was that picture of us I have on the fridge.”

His fridge held a lot of pictures on it. Dear memories that the three guys that lived in this house cherish the most. You just so happen to be in all of four pictures, but you knew the one he was talking about.

It was right smack down in the middle of the freezer door. It was a candid of the two of you in a tight embrace; cheeks pressed together, eyes closed and mouths open in a laugh. It was a great picture that captured your friendship perfectly.

But you could see how someone from the outside could interpret it differently.

“You know how grandparents are. They’ve been asking me if I have a girlfriend for months now and so, of course, they see me hugging a female and she just has to be my girlfriend.”

“When do we get to the part where you call me your girlfriend?” You deadpan, not in the mood for his beating around the bush.

He runs a hand through his dark hair and lets out a rushed breath. “I panicked, okay? They instantly started questioning me and assuming and I just… I just went along with it cause it was easier than having to explain to them that we were just friends! I didn’t expect you to come over! I told you they were visiting.”

You take a moment to digest everything before slowly nodding. “Alright, boyfriend. Let’s put on a show.”

“Thank you!” He breathes. His hands are pressed together as if he is thanking someone higher than you. “Thank you, thank you, thank you!”

“Yeah, yeah. You owe me big time, Jae!”

“Anything you want is yours!”

You head back to the kitchen and pretend not to notice Grandpa Im’s smirk as you sit down across the older couple, Jaebum sitting right beside you.

Grandma Im made a soup and you gladly dug in, starving beyond belief. It helps that it is easier to pretend that you have a boyfriend if your mouth is full.

“So, how did you two meet?” Grandpa Im asks between bites.

“Uh,” the two of you share a look before you knee Jaebum’s leg. He winces and sits up straighter.

“We met at university.” He lies. I guess the truth was too boring to admit. But you guess it made sense. Saying that you met eight years ago might cause a longer story.

“We had a class together our first semester.” You easily tag along.

“We became study partners and one thing lead to another…” Jaebum shrugs and smiles down at you rather fondly. You return his smile quickly before taking another bite.

“How romantic,” Grandma Im gushes.

They ask you some personal questions, trying to get a good idea of who you are, and you decid to answer them all truthfully. You are twenty-two years old, English major with a minor in teaching, works at the Barnes & Nobles in the mall, lives next door, blah, blah, blah. They seem absolutely smitten with you.

 

After Jaebum and Grandpa Im wash the dishes, the guys head out to the back while you are stuck with Grandma Im.

“He’s a lovely boy, isn’t he?” She asks, as you two get comfortable on the porch out looking the backyard where Jaebum and Grandpa Im are kicking around a soccer ball.

You nod agreeing. “He’s my best friend.”

“So is my husband. That’s why our relationship has lasted so long. Maybe you and Jaebum will be the same. I wouldn’t mind calling you my granddaughter.”

“That’s very flattering,” you say, cheeks warming up. Your eyes seem to wander back to Jaebum as he kicks the ball and runs around the yard once with his arms up in victory. He was the first friend you made in high school. He was somehow able to get close to the younger more guarded you and break down your defenses effortlessly. You had never known someone like him, still hadn’t. He was such an important person to you, so precious that you never thought about him romantically, believing there was too much at stake.

You try to ignore the strange flutter in your stomach and the way your skin comes to attention as he smiles over and winks at you.

 

After awhile, the four of you head back in to watch a movie Jaebum just finished editing for his film class. The film major made two giant bowls of popcorn while you prepared the drinks before heading back to the living room.

His grandparents took the old coach right in front of the television, leaving you and Jaebum the small loveseat.

Jaebum quickly turns off the lights, starts the movie, and joins you under the blanket you threw over your legs. He nervously takes a sip of his drink and begins choking instantly.

His wide eyes meet your sly ones. “What is in this?”

You grin wickedly. “You put us in a stressful situation. I made a little something to take the edge off.”

He blinks at you. “But my grandparents...”

“Are drinking plain old lemonade. Calm down, I’m not trying to make them hate me.” You roll your eyes and chug half your hard drink. Jaebum stares at you in shock before hesitantly giving in and takes a sip of his own.

This isn’t the first of Jaebum’s works that you have seen, but it is the first drama he’s filmed. You watch critically as the story of an artist who falls in love with a condemned building unfolds. The star of the short film, of course, is Jaebum’s roommate and fellow best friend, Park Jinyoung, the theater major. You admit that his talent really drives the film and you catch yourself tearing up at the end when the building gets destroyed, due to Jinyoung’s emotional performance.

Speaking of Jinyoung. As soon as the credits start to roll—and you surreptitiously wipe your eyes—you hear the door unlock and swing open.

Jaebum’s roommates, Jinyoung and Wang Jackson, come barreling in and pause once they spot other humans.

The lights mysteriously spark to life, flooding the room in a golden glow and you squint up at your friends.

“Hello, guys.” Jaebum greets breezily. “This is my grandma and grandpa. Grandparents, these are my roommates and friends, Jackson and Jinyoung.”

The two—who look really confused—quickly greet Jaebum’s grandparents. You stretch and realize that you’re lying on Jaebum’s chest. His arm wrapped around your shoulders and fingers slowly rubbing your arm, which your sure he has no idea he is doing. You admit that you’re pretty affectionate to all your friends, but this feels different somehow. You try to pull away, sitting up straight, but Jaebum’s arm tightens around your neck so that you are still plastered against his side. You gulp and fight off the warmth flooding to your cheeks as you meet Jackson’s eye.

He shoots you a confused look but you can also see humor in his gaze, like he wants to make fun of you for some reason but can’t.

“You’re the young man from the movie,” Grandpa Im points out. Jinyoung blinks with surprise before turning to Jaebum questioningly.

“I just showed them my film,” Jaebum explains.

Jinyoung smiles excitedly. “Did you enjoy it?”

“Why yes, of course!” Grandma Im says. “You were absolutely phenomenal! Acting is definitely something you should pursue!”

“Thank you.” Jinyoung says, his face glowing with pride.

“We were about to play some games,” Grandpa Im says. “Why don’t you two young fellas join us?”

You shake your head once, but the two ignore you. “We’d love to.”

 

Jackson and Jinyoung catch on quick that something is up with you and Jaebum, but feel it’s not the time to question you two. Instead, they decide to play along until you reveal it yourselves.

The first game you all decide to play is monopoly, which really is never a game one should play with people they actually like, but it’s the only board game Jaebum’s grandparents really know how to play so it wins.

Despite the animosity that comes with playing Monopoly, Jaebum decides to help you, knowing you aren’t too great at the game.

During your turns, he will read the cards to you, if your piece is too far away, he’ll move it for you. He makes sure all your money is organized, and at times you have to go to jail, he rubs your back reassuringly.
Each action makes your heart stutter and your mouth dry, but you just tell yourself he’s like that because of the show you are putting on for his family. It doesn’t help that the alcohol you slipped in your drinks is starting to effect you.

As the game goes on you feel yourself start to get tired. Jaebum is sitting beside you, leaning back on the loveseat the two of you were sitting on earlier, so you lean back as well. You share a look and he smiles, his eyes disappearing, and he looks so damn adorable, really. You sigh and rest your head on his shoulder, after a pause, you feel his hand lay on your knee, squeezing it gently.

“Um.” You hear Jackson sputter. Once again, you look at him to see shock and confusion, but Jinyoung, who is right beside him, is trying hard not to laugh.

“What is going on with you two?” Jackson finally gives up and asks.

“Don’t act like you don’t know,” Jaebum says, his voice hard with a different statement: shut up.

“They just so happen to be the cutest couple in town,” Grandma Im gushes and you close your eyes with embarrassment. You knew they would find out sooner or later, but you were hoping to avoid the consequences of them knowing.

It’s silent for a beat before the two burst out laughing, going as far as rolling on the floor and clutching their stomachs.

They catch their breaths five minutes later, Jinyoung having to wipe the tears off his face.

“Who knew Jaebum could get a girlfriend,” Jackson mocks. Jaebum throws a spare game piece at him and he whines.

“We felt the same way,” Grandpa Im says honestly, causing the boys to start laughing again. This time your join them.

“That’s not funny,” Jaebum mumbles to you. His voice low with betrayal but also light in an almost flirty way that shuts you up instantly.

“I’m glad you all consider my love life a joke,” Jaebum says, his voice louder so that everyone could hear.

“If you two are really dating, prove it,” Jinyoung, the damn sadist, demands.

You both stiffen and began talking simultaneously in protest.

“We have nothing to prove,” Jaebum finishes.

“All the same.” The two stare at each other before Jaebum averts his eyes with a sigh.

He snatches up your hand and holds it up for all to see. “There.”

“Oh please,” Jackson scoffs. “Anyone can hold hands.”

He quickly picks up Jinyoung’s hand and the two raise their eyebrows in a challenge.

You groan and peak a glance at Jaebum’s grandparents. Grandma Im rolls the dice and continues playing monopoly, but Grandpa Im is watching you and Jaebum intently.

This is make or break. Jaebum’s dumb roommates are going to blow your cover and you can’t let that happen.

“You two play to much,” you snap before rolling your eyes and turning to face Jaebum. His face is set on confusion, which quickly turns to surprise as you grab his face and lean in for a kiss. Your lips mold with Jaebum’s and it is probably the most pleasant feeling you ever felt.

Jaebum’s hands come up to rest on your hips and bring you closer to him as he angles his face to kiss you deeper and never mind, this is the most pleasant feeling you ever felt.

Someone clears their throat and you quickly pull away from your best friend. You sit back beside him with some space between you and face forward, trying to hide how hard you are breathing.

“Satisfied?” You ask Jinyoung, your breath airy cause you’re still trying to catch it.

He nods quickly, face fallen with disbelief and you silently high five yourself.

“Well, if you two need a moment just let us know,” Grandma Im says with a wink and you sink lower on the floor with shame.

“We’ll try to control ourselves from now on, Grandma,” Jaebum promises with a smile and you all continue the game as if your heart hadn’t just shifted.

For the rest of the night, Jinyoung and Jackson tease you two, but don’t try to push it any further. It gets late and you decide you should head back home. You bow to his grandparents before going to hug his grandma. She tells you how nice it was to meet you and that she was proud to call you family. You pull away and try not to feel guilty for lying to her as you move on to Jinyoung.

“You’ll have to tell me everything,” he mumbles in your hair and you nod before embracing Jackson, who kisses the top of your head and cheek.

You jerk away and notice his eyes are strictly on Jaebum and realize he’s taunting him for some odd reason. You turn to meet Jaebum and his jaw is shut tight with controlled anger.

“You alright?” You ask as you walk over to him. He nods once before grabbing your hand and walking you to the door. Instead of saying goodbye, he proceeds to take you home.

“You don’t have to do this,” you say. Trying to ignore the fact he still hasn’t let go of your hand.

“It’s okay.” He shrugs. “Plus, I need a break from all of them, you know?”

You did. So you allow him to take the ten-foot journey to your doorstep. Once there, he turns so that you’re facing each other, but he’s looking at the ground.

“So… about that kiss….”

“It was the only way to shut them up,” you say quickly, not wanting to really think about it because that is really all you can think about.

“Look,” Jaebum starts. He says your name and stares into your eyes for a moment and, not going to lie, it steals your breath and all you want to do is taste his lips again. “We’re best friends. But, I mean, pretending to be your boyfriend wasn’t that bad and like, I’m pretty sure my grandparents are in love with you and this is so weird and so unexpected but I wouldn’t mind being like this all the time. I just, I think that, well….”

He takes a deep breath and laughs at himself. “What I’m trying to say is that I like you. I think I’ve liked you for a while now, but it wasn’t until that kiss that I realized just how much.”

“Jaebum….” you sigh and take a step closer to him.

“It’s okay if you don’t feel the same!” He says quickly. “If you would rather stay friends, I can do that. But I like to believe you feel the same way?”

“You talk too much,” you say before pushing yourself up on your toes and kissing him. He quickly wraps an arm around your waist, the other holding your jaw.

Reluctantly, you pull away, but it’s mostly to catch your breath.

“I feel the same way,” you say, loving the feeling of your lips brushing against his as you talk.

“That’s a relief,” he says, his arm tightening around you, bringing you closer.

“So what now?” You ask. It’s a strange feeling, being like this with Jaebum, but it’s pleasant.

He shrugs, “I want to kiss you again, but I also need to make sure my roommates aren’t harassing my grandparents.”

You pout and he cant resist so he pecks you and then groans. You laugh at his reaction, but feel sadness in your chest at the thought of him leaving you.

“Why did it take us so long to realize our feelings?” He mumbles thoughtfully, resting his chin on the top of your head. You wrap your arms around his middle and shrug. “Come visit me tomorrow. We can talk more about what we are now. Or talk less, whatever you prefer.”

You roll your eyes at his cheekiness and lean back so you can see him better. “Okay.”

“Okay.” He kisses you one more time before stepping out of your embrace. “Today has been interesting.”

“Very,” you agree. You watch from your porch as he heads back to his house and before he opens his door you yell at him, “see you tomorrow, boyfriend!”

It’s dark, but you swear you see his cheeks bloom red as he waves at you before heading back into his house.