Dead Memories

Ephemeral Iridescence
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

tw;; slight verbal abuse. Just FYI.

 

By this point, Haru was frustrated and angry; confused and tired. Most of all, who was this guy she kept bumping into and why could she see his emotions?!

"What?!" The worker exclaimed, wide eyed and visibly in shock.

Haru realized far too late that she had just cursed at him for reasons unknown to him. Even if she was angry that she could see his colors, it wasn't his fault.

"O-Oh ah yes, I wanted to pay," she stuttered as she grabbed ten dollars from her bag and hastily slapped them on the counter. Haru could feel that her hand was trembling and quickly retracted it. "You can keep the change uh," she hurriedly glanced at the name tag on his chest, "W-Wonho. Keep it." And with that, Haru was running out of the door and down the street, running away from him for the second time that week. She watched as the color on her semi shaking hands turned into a deep gold.

“What…the-“

Haru had never seen such a color on her hands before. What did that even mean?

Her thoughts floated back to golden boy whose smile was equally as blinding as his golden swirls.

Wonho.

She'd have to remember that name.

 

 

"Um, excuse me?" Wonho heard a timid voice question through the half-cracked kitchen door.

"Take care of that customer for me, will you?" Jaehyun asked as he kneaded some dough.

Wonho washed his hands from all the flour and dough and walked out with a pep in his step, definitely in a much better mood today. He saw his first customer of the day looking straight down at the counter and found it a bit odd, but greeted them nonetheless. "Oh! How can I help you? Did you need to pay?" He asked as he flashed his usual smile.

She looked up at him and Wonho watched as all the color drained from her face.

Was she feeling sick?

"Are you ing kidding me?!" the customer blurted out loud enough for him to hear. "What?!" Wonho retorted with wide eyes in surprise and confusion, not understanding what exactly was going on. Had he dealt with her before and just didn’t remember? Two years working at this place had made him more aware he wasn't everyone's cup of tea.

Wonho watched her face now, as it changed into sudden realization that she had just said that aloud. She then stuttered out, "O-Oh ah yes, I wanted to pay."

He observed how she rummaged through her bag and with a shaky hand slapped ten dollars onto the counter. Wonho eyed the money then looked up at her, "You can keep the change uh," she said as she looked at his chest. His chest? What was on his chest? "W-Wonho. Keep it." Oh, right. His name tag.

Before he could even say anything back, she was already through the door and running down the street. All he saw was her silver purple hair flowing behind her as she ran further away from his sight.

What the was that about?

Wonho stared at the ten dollars in front of him. The latte was $3.50, how was he supposed to keep it all? As much as he liked tips he didn't feel right taking her money.

"Did she give me a tip?" Kyungil said near Wonho's shoulder, startling him. "I mean, not to brag, but that was probably one of the best latte's I've ever made."

"Oh, well.... I guess?" Wonho replied to him slowly. He went to the register and handed Kyungil the rest of the change. "She was definitely an interesting customer. I'd like to see her again," Kyungil smirked to himself and Wonho felt his chest tighten at the thought of her coming again. She didn't look like she'd ever want to come back and Wonho felt like it was somehow his fault.

But why?

 

 

"You told me to love you and I did
Tied my soul into a knot and got me to submit
So when I got away, I only kept my scars
The other me is gone
Now I don't know where I belong..."

 

Haru was splayed out on her bed, listening to Slipknot while looking at the ceiling. Like so many decisions in her life, it was a bad idea. Most of the songs she listened to reminded her in some way of Jungkook now.

She had tried so many times to stop, to rip out her feelings for him and stomp on them until they vanished into thin air, but it never worked. Her love for him only grew more and more as the years passed by. Haru knew she desperately needed to move on because it would always be one sided.

Unrequited forever.

Her phone began to play the familiar ringtone that she set for Jungkook long ago and decided to finally pick it up. There was no use in avoiding him anyway, she would only end up missing him more that way.

"Hello?" She droned, still in her pity party mood.

"Hey, Haru. Why haven't you been picking up?" Jungkook said, a tinge of sadness dripping from his voice.

"I...." She began, but quickly stopped herself.

Did she really want to tell him what had been going on? Haru knew she could trust him, but telling him would be like telling a wall. There was nothing he could do for her and she already worried him enough as it was.

"I just needed some time to myself," she exhaled, knowing that it was a ty excuse for how much she had made everyone worry. "Sorry Kookie. I didn't mean to make you worry," she sincerely apologized.

"Oh. It's okay. Just...are you alright? When I talked to you at the café the other day you seemed really off.”

Jungkook never missed a thing when it came to Haru. He knew her like the back of his hand.

"I'm just frustrated with my colors again, that's all. It never gets any easier for me," Haru sighed. She wasn't telling a lie either.

Haru watched as the purple on her left hand swirled all the way to her forearm.

She had come to learn that purple was love, the love she had for Jungkook. It was a vibrant purple that she had grown to hate looking at. Purple for her meant unrequited love.

"So, nothing new," Haru laughed it off because it truly wasn't. "Anything happen while I was gone?"

"Ah, yeah, good news! I almost have enough money to visit Mei again!" Jungkook exclaimed with so much excitement, he was basically yelling through the phone.

Haru felt her stomach and throat form into one giant knot, all breath taken out from her lungs.

She felt like she couldn't breathe.

But she was used to this pain.

"That's- That's amazing Kookie!" Haru strained out, hoping he couldn't hear anything wrong with her voice. "I'm sure she'll love getting to see you again."

Mei.

She was Jungkook’s girlfriend of three years.

She came to their high school for an exchange program in their senior year and Jungkook had never been the same. He was completely in love. Haru watched as they constantly flirted in art class and felt her heart shrivel up into dust every time.

After her exchange, she left back to Japan, but not before Jungkook could make her his girlfriend. They've been dating ever since.

Mei came to visit him all but once and Haru made sure she made herself scarce. She couldn't even hate Mei. She was a lovely person and treated Jungkook right. At this point, it was all Haru could ask for.

"Haru? HARU? Are you even listening?!" Jungkook raised his voice with playful annoyance. "Hmmm? Oh, yeah, I totally am."

"You're such a damn liar." Haru guffawed at his accusation. "You're no saint either, Mister Jeon."

"I actually like the sound of that coming from you."

And just like that, she was left speechless and a blushing mess. She watched in her peripheral vision as the purple on her left hand moved smoothly up to her elbows. Jungkook needed a damn filter or a slap to the face. He had a girlfriend for crying out loud.

"You should start calling me that at work," He announced gleefully. Haru couldn't tell if he was truly an idiot that didn't know any better or did it on purpose at this point. "Not a chance in hell, Kookie."

"You're right, I'll always like your nickname better." Haru bit her lip as a wide grin threatened to appear across her lips.

"Thanks. Well, I've got homework to get to so I'll talk to you later, okay?" She needed to escape before her heart exploded out of her chest. "Okay, see you tomorrow," Jungkook exhaled, dissatisfaction evident. "Oh, and Haru?"

"Yeah?" Haru's heart was thumping in her ears now and she just really wanted to think of something else. "Take care of yourself, yeah? You know you can trust me. Whenever you want to tell me what's actually bothering you, I'll be here to listen. Just- Don't hesitate, okay?” God, he just wasn't fair. Jungkook made loving him so easy.

"I'll tell you soon Kookie, I just need time. You take care of yourself too. I gotta go now, bye." Before he could reply she hastily hung up. Her heart was beating so rapidly now that she needed to take calming breaths.

Butter got up from his sleeping position on the bed to rub up against Haru and her mood insta

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter