And You Were The One...

I Thought I'd Never Rest...
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

      "So, what's the update on the new novel?" Junmyeon asked as the two of them sat in a cafe, catching up with one another.

      Minseok looked up from his cup of black coffee and gave Junmyeon a tired, but happy, smile, "Actually, it's been going surprisingly well, I think that the story is going to be a good one."

      "Is it different than Fake Realities, Real Fantasies?" Junmyeon asked, referring to the first work that Minseok had ever printed under the pen name Xiumin.

      Nodding, Minseok rubbed his right eye as he talked, the sleep deprivation once again making itself known, "Yeah, really different actually. It's not as dark, but it's not all fluff either. It's a little more...relatable I guess in the sense that you aren't reading about two young boys with some heavier baggage than others."

      "Yeah, I guess so," Junmyeon said with a hum, "how'd the boss take it?"

      A pause, "He was...confused to say the least."

      Confused would be an understatement, but Minseok didn't really want to retell to Junmyeon how his boss had reacted.

       "This is very different from what your previous work was, Minseok-ssi," Minseok's boss said, looking over the excerpt given to him.

       "I wanted to see how something like this would work out," Minseok had responded, "you know, try out new things. You can't just survive on one thing for your entire life."

       "Well...don't you think that you should stick to what you know?" the man asked, placing the papers down to look at Minseok, "To stick with something that you know will be successful?"

       "With all due respect, sir, I think that this one will work out rather well," Minseok said, his tone a degree colder than before.

       "Are you sure?" the other asked, still not entirely convinced.

       "I am absolutely sure," Minseok said, his voice calm but his eyes burned with a bright fire and his tone had dropped to frigid, "I will give this story my complete effort, I don't just give half-hearted work to anyone, I polish it like one polishes a diamond. I make sure it shines bright enough to be worthy of being placed into the night sky as another star. I will make this story to the very best it can be."

       There was silence in the room, until the older man coughed and grunted, "Alright, I'm trusting you on this Minseok-ssi. The issues should be out by Sunday. I know it seems fast, but the rest of the magazines and everything else have been planned, this was all that was left."

       Minseok stood up, bowing ninety degrees, "Thank you sir, I promise to make this book the very best it can be."

       "You'd better," was all the man had said before turning around in his office chair, looking out the window and looking at Seoul.

       The writer took his leave, and when he had quietly closed the door behind him, he sighed and ran a hand over his face.

       As he thought about all of it, Minseok repeated the same action, "This story is going to be a long one."

       Junmyeon smiled at his friend, "You'll be fine hyung, you're a great writer. It'll all work out, I know it."

       The older of the two grinned, thankful for having a friend like Junmyeon, "Thanks Junmyeon, it really does mean a lot."

        "It's not problem hyung, I didn't suffer through university with you for nothing," Junmyeon told him, laughing as he finished his words.

        "True, I think our professor for European Literature was evil or something," Minseok mused, thinking back to those times, "she was the worst, never explaining anything to us and then expecting us to answer her questions."

        "And then if we didn't know the answer, she still wouldn't give it to us even though it'd be like ten minutes of all of us being oblivious. And she didn't really answer questions either," Junmyeon also recounted, his brows slightly pinching as he remembered his time with this horrible teacher, "she'd always answer with a question and then use a vague metaphor or something. I'm lucky that I got a low A average in her class. Those hours spent with her were nearly not worth it. She even ruined actually really good literature that I didn't even know was good until I read them in my free time because she'd have us take so many notes while reading!"

        "Yeah, she was the worst," Minseok nodded solemnly, watching as Junmyeon took a large bite out of a blueberry muffin, "I never once called her seongsaengnim, or at least, I'd drop the -nim at the end."

        "I don't think she understood what that meant," Junmyeon answered, moving his hands slightly in what seemed to be an attempt to express his frustration at this professor and accidentally flinging crumbs across the table, "just...her class...."

        "I get what you mean," Minseok agreed, "but that's all in the past."

        Junmyeon sighed, running a hand through his blonde hair, "True, true, it's just something that'll stick with me probably until I die."

        Minseok chuckled at that, "So, moving on with this conversation before it becomes stagnant, how's work for you? You've already heard about what I've been up to."

         "Busy," Junmyeon said, a look of tiredness suddenly appearing in his eyes, but at the same time a smile formed on his lips, "the students have all been panicking with the upcoming exams and have been asking me to tutor them. But I enjoy it, so I can't really complain."

         "I remember when we were in university and everyone saw you as a walking paradox," Minseok said with a smile, "a double major in both Calculus and Literature, two practically opposite ends of the academic curriculum."

         "Hey, I liked both, I liked the predictability of math and how an answer was always the answer, the solidity of it. And I liked the other side of the spectrum in writing, where there can be multiple ways to answer a question. So why not take both as a major?" Junmyeon responded with a shrug, "And I like teaching, the university students are always fun to teach. They don't treat me too badly, and they know when to listen."

         "It's good that you like your job," Minseok said, "I was horrible at Calculus."

         "I know, I remember tutoring you," Junmyeon lightly teased, laughing at Minseok's pout, "but yeah, it is good that I like what I do. I've definitely met some of my coworkers who shouldn't be teachers. They have no patience, no enthusiasm, no tolerance for mistakes, they just don't have anything that's needed to be a teacher."

         "Yeah, you must be a great Calculus professor," Minseok nodded, smiling at the other, "how's Yixing?"

         "Oh, he's also doing really well," Junmyeon said, his eyes shining as he was given the opportunity to talk about his husband, "he loves being a Music Theory and Composition professor."

         "You two are such an interesting duo," Minseok commented, "a university Calculus professor who also majored in Literature and a university Music Theory and Composition professor who has another major in Biological Chemistry."

         "Yeah, we get that a lot," Junmyeon said with a chuckle, taking a sip of his coffee before looking at the other, "so what about you Minseok hyung? Anything interesting happen to you?"

         "Well, I met someone..." Minseok began, trailing off and blushing slightly.

         Junmyeon made cooing noises, making Minseok's cheeks become even redder. Laughing, Junmyeon stopped, deciding to spare his hyung, "That's great hyung, what's their name?"

         "Kim Jongdae, he's a painter," Minseok responded easily, a little less embarrassed now that Junmyeon had stopped cooing, but his cheeks still felt uncomfortably warm.

         "Did you meet him on one of your late night excursions?" Junmyeon asked.

         "Mhm," Minseok said, nodding as he broke off a chunk of chocolate chip cookie and popped it into his mouth, chewing thoughtfully, "he really is an interesting person. He was just sitting on a bench with his eyes closed and singing. And Junmyeon, he has the most beautiful voice, it's actually kinda deep but it's also clear while sounding melodious like a bell. And he also has these eyes that have this impish light to them and his smile curls at the end, a 'catlike' smile if you will. But he was fun to talk to and I don't think I've met many people other than you, Yixing, and Sehun who can maintain a longer conversation with me."

         "He sounds really amazing hyung," Junmyeon said, eyes shining, "it sounds like he's carving himself a place in your life."

        "Yeah, I suppose he is," Minseok agreed, a bright look in his eyes as he stared out the cafe's window, not really looking at anything in particular.

        "Boy, he has it bad," Junmyeon thought, but what he said was, "So are you ever going to meet up with him again?"

        "I can arrange a meeting time, we exchanged numbers," Minseok explained, "it'd be nice to see him again."

        "Hm, must be," Junmyeon nodded in agreement, looking down at his watch and eyes going wide "I lost track of time! I'm sorry hyung, but I need to go quick so I'm not late for picking up Sehun from school."

        Minseok smiled at his friend who was gathering his things, "It's fine, don't worry about it Junmyeon. Go get your little devil of a son."

        "He's not a devil," Junmyeon grumbled, but he knew that Minseok was joking, "he's an adorable little boy who Xing and I love to death."

        Minseok put his hands up in surrender, "Whatever you say Umma Junmyeon, but you should go. Can't keep Sehun waiting."

        Huffing in annoyance as his ears turned cherry red from Minseok's comment, Junmyeon began to leave, "I'll see you later hyung, can't wait for your next novel."

        "I'll mail you a copy when it's published," Minseok said, watching as his friend left, "Take care Junmyeon, tell Yixing and Sehun I say hi."

        "Thanks hyung, will do," Junmyeon responded, turning to give Minseok a wave and to flash a smile, "Take care of yourself, I'll see you around."

        Minseok returned the wave, and watched as Junmyeon left. He watched the other walk out the door and pass by the cafe's window until he was eventually out of sight. The writer sighed, deciding to sit in the cafe for a little longer. The smell of coffee was soothing to his senses, Minseok took out his phone and went to Jongdae's contact. He looked at the name for a few minutes, contemplating on what would be the best thing to say. He eventually settled with a simple greeting.

Minseok: Hi

        Okay, so maybe it wasn't quite a "monumental oh my god" type of message, but if there was one thing Minseok was bad at, and he himself would admit this in a heartbeat, it was starting conversations. Not expecting to get a reply anytime soon, Minseok nearly knocked over his now empty mug when his phone pinged.

Jongdae: Hi hyung! How've u been?

        Smiling to himself, Minseok quickly typed a reply, and at the same time calling over a waitress to give him the bill.

Minseok: I've been well, what about u?

Jongdae: Okay, that Artist's Block is finally gone, so that's a relief ( ´ ▽ ` ). Did u get past that Writer's Block?

Minseok: Actually yes, I've been able to write the excerpt. It should be published by Sunday.

Jongdae: Ooo, I'll make sure to read it then

         Minseok laughed to himself at Jongdae's enthusiasm, placing his money over the bill before he stood up and pushed his chair in. Walking out of the cafe, Minseok quickly texted the other.

Minseok: Good luck finding it, I actually write under a penname

Jongdae: Wat? Hyuuung! That's not fair :c

         Chuckling a little, Minseok looked up as he crossed the street, being careful not to get hit by a car. Finding a place out of the way that was in front of a small store, Minseok looked back down at his phone screen. He found Jongdae to be pretty funny, the younger's almost childlike personality and mannerisms being something akin to fresh air. Not many people were like Jongdae, cheery and mischievous. Most people were actually only stressed and in a rush, not taking time to enjoy life. And admittedly, Minseok saw himself as being one of those people. But maybe with having Jongdae as a new friend, he could break out of that way of life. Maybe...

Minseok: I do it so I can go about my normal life

Jongdae: U must b pretty popular then

Jongdae: Hyung, you look really nice in glasses btw

          At this point, Minseok was just flat-out confused. When he had met Jongdae, he wasn't wearing his glasses. In fact, he didn't even hint at needing to wear glasses. So how did Jongdae even have the faintest idea of what Kim Minseok looked like wearing glasses? Hearing his phone ping again, Minseok read the new text Jongdae had sent.

Jongdae: U also look really cute right now too, like a confused puppy :) But I'll have mercy upon your soul. Hyung, look up

        Minseok did as the younger said, looking up and scanning the street. It didn't take long until he spotted Jongdae, waving from across the street and getting ready to cross. As he watched the other make his way across the street, Minseok couldn't help but smile.

         Jongdae's hair had a just-rolled-out-of-bed look that actually worked pretty well for him and it looked adorable. He was wearing a white button down shirt with black jeans and checkered converse. He looked good, Minseok didn't deny that, but there was something else that helped complete the younger's look. And believe it or not, it was how Jongdae had random paint splatters or smears across his clothes, hands, and even his face. A midnight blue streak dusting across one of his cheek bones, the tips of his fingers coated in cherry blossom pink, emerald green smeared on his shirt, and gold on his shoes. It all just managed to make Jongdae look even more handsome in Minseok's eyes. It made Jongdae look like an artist, like someone who was passionate about what he did, and it just made Minseok feel even more attracted towards the other.

         "Hey hyung," Jongdae said once he reached Minseok, grinning, "I didn't expect to see you again so soon."

         "Same here," Minseok replied, "what've you been up to to become covered with paint?"

         "Oh, I just finished working on a painting for someone," Jongdae explained, "it was a smaller piece, not the commission that I was telling you about."

         "Were you headed home?" Minseok asked, pocketing his phone.

         "Yep, I was going to work on some pieces when I got back," Jongdae responded, "but I think running into you is a much better option."

         The older of the two blushed, causing Jongdae to laugh his wonderful laugh. Minseok felt the warmth that had appeared when he had first heard Jongdae laugh once again bubble up in his chest.

          "What about you? What were you up to?" Jongdae finally asked, looking at Minseok curiously.

          "I was catching up with a friend from university," Minseok told him, "he knows about my writing career and everything. He's an amazing friend, someone who I'm lucky to be able to call my friend."

          "It's great that you have someone like that for you hyung," Jongdae said with a smile, "but I really, really have to ask: What's the name of your first novel? Or at least what's your penname?"

          "You really want to know, don't you?" Minseok chuckled at seeing the younger pout, "I don't want Kim Minseok to become too mixed with my writer self. What's in it for me if I tell you?"

          As soon as his words had left his mouth, Minseok felt himself cringe. That, that sounded like a really lame attempt at flirting. Getting ready to retract what he had said, Minseok was forced to swallow his apology because Jongdae had begun to talk.

          "I'll show you my studio," Jongdae said, it was a simple statement, but his words managed to make Minseok temporarily freeze.

          Jongdae was allowing Minseok to see his work if Minseok told the younger something as simple as a book name or a penname. Jongdae was willing to share his paintings, the work he had spent hours on and had poured his heart and soul into, with Minseok. Jongdae was willing to basically let Minseok see his soul. All in exchange for the name of a book that Minseok had written.

          True, it sounded very melodramatic. The way Minseok thought of Jongdae "bearing his soul to him", but it's how Minseok saw an artist and their work. Yes, artists would need others to see their work if they wanted to be able to make money and to continue to do what they loved. But to show it for something that wasn't for business or family or friends, to show someone who you had just met and couldn't even call an acquaintance, that was big. To Minseok, it was personal to show your work to someone like that, and he was surprised that Jongdae was willing to have Minseok be one of the people to see his paintings.

          "A-Are you sure?" Minseok asked, not really meaning to stutter but it just ended up happening.

          "I am a hundred percent sure that I want Kim MinSeok to come and see the artwork that Kim JongDae has spent hours upon hours working on and putting his entire being into," Jongdae said, a small smile on his face but his eyes showed that he was completely serious.

          Minseok remained quiet for a little, taking in Jongdae's words, and once he determined that it was okay, Minseok smiled, "Then it's a deal. An exchange for the reveal of Kim MinSeok's writer identity for a look at Kim JongDae's paintings."

          The painter gave a huge grin, before grabbing Minseok's hand and dragging the writer along the way, "Then let's go!"

          Surprised at the younger's sudden action of grabbing his hand, Minseok just let himself be dragged along by Jongdae. And as the younger pulled him along the way, chattering away about different employers and types of paintings and just everything and nothing. Minseok was only half listening, his attention focused on his and Jongdae's entwined hands.

           Jongdae's hands were covered with paint, not just the cherry blossom pink that covered his finger tips. There was crimson here and there with robin's egg blue and some light greens but also warm shades of orange and yellow. But the skin underneath the paint was a nice tone, not too pale but not too tan either. And even though Jongdae's hand was a painter's hand, it was also one that could belong to a piano player with its long fingers. His fingers were slim but strong as they held firmly onto Minseok's paler hand. Jongdae's hand was warm and comforting and it was slightly calloused but not so much that it was uncomfortable to have it cradle Minseok's own hand. The bubbling warmth in Minseok's chest became even warmer the longer he looked at Jongdae's hand holding onto his own.

           Jongdae actually took Minseok rather far away from the cafe, going to a part of the city that Minseok didn't really visit that often. It wasn't a poor part of the city, and it wasn't leaning towards the more affluent side like Minseok's own neighborhood. But it was lively. It looked like people lived there. Where Minseok lived, everyone was always in a rush, hurrying to get to their jobs or where ever they needed to be. Nobody stopped, everyone kept moving and Minseok's own neighborhood was just dull colours. But this part of the city was different.

          There were people walking around sure, but it didn't have the same tense "go! go! go!" type of atmosphere. There were people leisurely walking down the street and taking in the view of everything. There were children running around and playing in a park that was in the area and dogs were also chasing pigeons in the same park. People were sitting on benches and reading or working on something, there were people drawing with chalk on paths in the park or the sidewalks and there were also people painting murals on building walls. Everything looked alive, it looked like the neighborhood had character and life to it, that it wasn't a cold, hurried city atmosphere. It all just looked so very bright. Everything about the neighborhood made Minseok smiled, he could get used to living in a place like this.

           Letting himself be led into a building, Minseok looked around at the lobby. It wasn't too extravagant to the point of being tacky, but it also wasn't sore to the eye by being bland and spartan. It had a comfy feel to it, and Minseok liked it that way. Jongdae dragged him to an elevator and they went to a somewhat middle floor of the building. They kept walking down a long and winding hallway until they reached a certain apartment door. Jongdae let go of Minseok's hand, and the older of the two tried to ignore the sudden coldness he felt now that Jongdae's hand wasn't holding onto his own.

           Jongdae fumbled with the key card for a moment, but when he finally unlocked the door he opened it and walked inside while talking, "Welcome, to my humble abode. Please excuse the mess."

           Following the other into the apartment, Minseok took his shoes off and took in the entirety of what he could see. There was some clutter here and there, mainly in the forms of papers piling up on a coffee table and the disarray of shoes by the door, but overall the apartment didn't look too messy. There were paintings and pictures all over the walls, and Minseok couldn't help but smile at them. The paintings were all incredibly beautiful, there wasn't really any theme between all of them but somehow, they all went together and made the apartment feel like it belonged to Kim JongDae. Minseok felt like he could look at the paintings and admire them for hours on end.

           But the pictures, they were what really made Minseok smile. Sure, the paintings were breathtaking, but the photographs were even better. They all almost had Jongdae smiling or laughing in the them, he just looked extremely happy. There were some where he was eating with what seemed to be his friends in restaurants, others showed Jongdae and a woman who Minseok assumed was his mother based on how she and him shared the same smile and face shape, some had Jongdae and who Minseok guessed was his older brother with how close the two of them seemed and how similar they looked, a few were of Jongdae and a man who was probably his father, and there were also pictures of Jongdae and his entire family. And there were more pictures, so many more, but the ones that had Jongdae with those closest to him were what made Minseok's lips create a gummy smile.

           "Seems like you enjoy the photographs on the walls," Jongdae said, walking up behind Minseok while the other was looking at a framed picture of a young Jongdae wearing a school uniform and glasses.

           "Yeah,

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter