Trying to Hear the You I Couldn't See

Trying to Hear the You I Couldn't See

 

Yixing is sick of blisters on his fingers. Since his soulmate had decided he wanted to learn to play bass, he’d had callouses all over again. It had been easier when he’d wanted to master drums. Yixing would be left with aching shoulders and painful thighs but at least he’d been able to maintain his pretty hands. His grandmother had always commented saying he had hands destined for playing piano but apparently his soulmate disagreed. For the third time since turning 18 and having the musical tendencies of his soulmate open to him, he silently wished the other wasn’t so musically talented.

Yixing himself played the piano and had dabbled in guitar before. He’d not been especially good at it, just managing some chords. It was enough for him to sing along to whenever his family had asked for a show and that had been all he’d needed. He’d made sure to learn these talents before turning 18 though. He hadn’t wanted to plague his partner with constant practice. Even now, it had taken being forced to learn his fourth instrument to let him practice freely. He’d also been rapping more and Yixing wasn’t sure that was a good sign. He preferred to sing but had never minded rapping little sections of the songs he usually listened to. Now he was breaking out into rap under his breath at little awkward moments. He’d had to sneak out from a lecture because of the overwhelming itch to play guitar and had been too mortified to go back.

He wandered into the cafeteria and noticed his friends quickly. He grabbed a simple sandwich from a counter with an apple and water, paid and went to join them. Slumping into one of the empty seats, he dropped his food onto the counter and rubs his hands over his face.

“Wow, that’s a face of defeat.” Luhan says turning to his friend of three years. “What’s wrong?”

Yixing groans into the hands still covering his face and the other three at the table turn their attention to him as well.

“It can’t be that bad, Xing.” Jongin comments from his place at the other end of the table. Jongin was sitting beside his soulmate, Sehun. Neither of the two played instruments. They’d found each other through their mutual liking of dance and had confirmed their bond through playful karaoke sessions. In other words, the polar opposite of what Yixing himself was going through.

“Do you guys know anyone learning to play bass guitar?” He peels his hands away from his face and looks round the group. Kyungsoo furrows his brows a little and Luhan tilts his head but no one says anything. Yixing groans again and his head falls to the table. Why is he the only one suffering through a musically inclined soulmate?

“Why?” Luhan asks in a moment of zero thought. Everyone turns to look at him in a little disbelief. Even Yixing turns his eyes towards the elder, head still pressed into the table. It takes Luhan a moment before he remembers. “OH! Musical Soulmate Boy!”

“Of course he couldn’t be happy with just drums and guitar. He’s like a walking rock band at this rate.” Kyungsoo says. He lays a comforting hand on Yixing’s shoulder. “Don’t worry about it. I’m sure you’re going to be fine. He’ll get bored of the bass, just like he did with drums and guitar.”

Yixing doesn’t have it in him to tell Kyungsoo that whoever his soulmate is, they hadn’t grown tired of any of the instruments and Yixing has had to leave lectures and practices before because he hasn’t been able to ignore the urge to hit something or strum chords. It’d thrown him completely out of time at his last dance practice and he’d spent the next hour drumming two pencils against a table top because he had been the other side of campus from the music practice rooms. He’d made sure to keep practicing the piano alongside all of his extra musical talents, just to give his soulmate a taste of their own medicine.

“I was playing bass for four hours last night. Four hours. My fingers have blisters on top of blisters on top of blisters.” Yixing wearily raises his right hand up above the table to show the rough state of his fingertips.

“Use a pic instead maybe?” Jongin tries to suggest some kind of help. They’d tried a wide variety of different things to curb the musical bridge connecting Yixing and his soulmate but they’d yet to have any success. It annoyingly always ended with Yixing feeling worse for not playing. Yixing knows Jongin means well, but the itch doesn’t go away without using his own hands.

Kyungsoo chooses this moment to start humming under his breath. He’s remarkably good at it, despite a general reluctance to sing normally. Luhan turns to him and gently nudges his shoulder. Kyungsoo looks up and realises he’s vocalising out loud. He claps a hand over his mouth in shock and quietens for a minute. He’s unconsciously scratching at his jaw when Yixing turns his focus to the younger man.

“Just let it happen, Soo. It feels better when you just let it happen.” Yixing offers gently. He sits up again, throws his lunch into his bag and feels a familiar itch in his fingers. “Let’s go to a practice room. You can sing your soulmate out and I can play away mine.”

Kyungsoo nods a little solemnly. Whilst it’s easier to ignore when your soulmate sings, if you’re not used to it, it can still be distracting. It’s obvious he hadn’t wanted to admit it was his soulmates fault for singing so suddenly but there’s not really a way to deny it. The two stand and gather their things. They bid farewell to the others, ignoring Luhan’s complaints of having to be a third wheel, and head for the nearest music room. Yixing has pretty much memorised the locations of all of the rooms containing a drum kit, piano or guitar in the last year and it’s easy to lead Kyungsoo to one of his favourites. The first room is occupied by a small group of people. Seemingly, two singers and their friend group have decided to practice through lunch. Yixing unlocks the room next door and settles behind the drum kit. He briefly ignores the urge to play to stretch out his shoulders and legs.

Kyungsoo lowers his bag to the floor and seats himself on the piano’s bench. There’s sheet music on the stand which Kyungsoo looks over a little. He finds a song he likes and glances at Yixing, making sure he’s ok to let loose. Yixing nods and shoots a small smile Kyungsoo’s way. Kyungsoo relaxes a little and starts the first verse for a pretty popular idol song. Yixing quickly picks up the rhythm and begins to drum along to the catchy lyrics.

By the end of the first song, Kyungsoo has grown in confidence and Yixing is smiling happily. They continue to play until the end of the lunch break approaches and the feeling of wanting to play has faded away. Yixing is tempted to stay and work out a couple of the kinks in his playing style but the tingling has faded and he’s excited to take a break from music. Kyungsoo is a little out of breath. His cheeks are red but he looks more relaxed than when they had entered the room.

“Is it always like this, hyung?” Kyungsoo asks Yixing as they both get their breath back. Yixing laughs happily.

“I’m not sure what you felt, but I always feel this itching beneath my skin. And it’s always solvable by playing some kind of instrument.” Yixing replies. Kyungsoo only turned 18 two weeks ago and Yixing suddenly realises this is the first time the other will have felt a bond to his soulmate. It’s always strongest the first time. “Be thankful yours is just singing at the moment.”

Yixing grins at the younger boy and Kyungsoo smiles back. The atmosphere is relaxed and they’re both somewhat subdued as they return the room to the way they found it. They chat about things that aren’t music or soulmates and eventually leave for their next classes. Yixing has a free period so walks with Kyungsoo to his labs. He justifies it as they’re on his way to the library anyway. The two friends part with plans to meet up and play together a little more later.

Yixing reaches the library and takes up his normal spot near the back window. It overlooks part of the park on campus and Yixing always likes the view outside. Not that he’s able to spend much time looking out the window when he has work to catch up on. He drags out his unfinished notes and is about half way through his second lecture when his attention is broken by a voice. He looks up at the sound and startles a little at the proximity of the other person. The new voice laughs a little and repeats what he’d said.

“I’m sorry to startle you. I was just asking if I could sit here. The library is a little jammed at the moment.” The stranger raises a hand and rubs the back of his neck nervously. The gesture draws attention to his ears, which poke out from under his cap. Yixing pauses a moment, thinking the stranger is familiar before realising he hasn’t replied yet.

“Ahh, sorry, I was in my own world. Of course you can sit. Is my stuff in the way?” He quickly gushes out and moves to adjust his sprawled notes.

“It’s fine, its fine, don’t worry.” The stranger smiles and shows all his teeth as he does. He’s cute in his actions. Yixing finds it endearing as the stranger waves his hands at Yixing. “I don’t need much room. Just my laptop.”

Yixing stops fiddling with papers and shuffles over himself to untangle the chair legs. The stranger pulls the chair beside him out and settles into the space. True to his word, he sets up just his laptop and begins to work. Yixing returns his focus to his own notes and finds the peaceful silence helpful. He gets through most of his catch up work without any problems and is pleased when he finishes his notes. Finishing his final line, he breathes a sigh of relief happily. It gets the attention of his silent partner.

“Finished what you were working on?” he asks of Yixing. Yixing nods in response and smiles a little. “It’s English, right? I mean, it’s definitely not Korean anyway.”

Yixing looks down at his writing. He’d forgotten that he wasn’t writing Korean again.

“Yeah, I’m studying English language. It’s really interesting. There’s just a lot of note making.” Yixing explains, keeping his voice soft.

“It’s really cool. I wish I could speak another language. But I have no brain for that kind of thing. I’ll stick to producing.” The stranger grins again and Yixing finds himself intrigued.

“You’re studying music production?”

“Yeah. I’m a second year now so I’ve got to actually get good at it. I’ve been practicing like crazy.” He laughs a little and rubs at the back of his neck again. It’s clearly a nervous tic of his.

“You’re a musician as well? Your soulmate must love that.” Yixing betrays his own feelings a little. He knows most people find the musical bridge that soulmates share endearing and wonderful. It’s his own experiences that have tainted it a little for himself.

“Yep. Wait, as well? Do you play?” the stranger catches Yixing’s tone and visibly grows more excited.

“Err, yeah. I play the piano mainly.” Yixing admits, not meeting the other boy’s eyes.

“Wow. I’m jealous. I wish I was good at piano.” The stranger pauses a little. Summoning his courage, the stranger ploughs on. “Could I ask a huge favour?”

Yixing is a little hesitant. He has a feeling the other boy is going to ask to hear him play and he’s not been confident in his skills since having to learn the newer instruments. His friends have always assured him that he’s talented at all the instruments he’s been learning but his inner perfectionist pauses. He shakes himself a little and tells himself he’s being too suspicious and the stranger won’t criticise him regardless.

“Depends on the favour, I guess.” Yixing settles with as an answer.

“I’ve been working on this track for a while now and it needs a piano melody. I’m not good enough to do it justice. Would you potentially be able to record a little for me?” There’s a brightness in his eyes as he asks and Yixing isn’t thinking straight when he answers.

“I can try my best, I guess. I won’t make any promises about my talent.” He looks away again, betraying his own nervous habits. The other boy seems to almost burst with excitement at his answer.

“Oh my god, thank you so much.” He gushes at Yixing. “Ahh, this is so perfect. When are you free?”

Yixing laughs a little at his eagerness.

“Slow down. I need a name first.” The other boy’s eyes widen when he realises they don’t even know one another’s names.

“Ahh, I’m sorry. I’m Chanyeol. Second year, music production student. You are?”

“I’m Yixing. Third year, English language student. I could probably meet you Friday? It’s the only night I’m free this week. I’ve got practices tomorrow and Thursday.” Yixing admits, feeling a little guilty he can’t do sooner. Chanyeol doesn’t seem deterred though.

“Friday is perfect. I can text you details of where we can practice, if you’d like?” He asks as he digs into his bag for his phone. Yixing pulls his own from his pocket and they swap numbers. Chanyeol is practically buzzing when Yixing stands to leave.

“I’ll see you Friday then.” He says and Chanyeol grins.

“Friday. See you around. Thank you so much.” The younger boy waves as Yixing leaves and Yixing finds he can’t fight the small smile off his face.

 

~~~

As it turns out, Friday can’t come fast enough. Yixing’s soulmate has taken it upon himself to practice solidly for hours the previous two nights and it had left Yixing twitching during his dance practices. Jongin and Sehun had both commented on it. Thankfully, he had been relatively peaceful during the days and Yixing had crammed as much dance practice in during his breaks to make up for his lack of focus at group sessions. He’s finishing a routine in his Friday lunch break when his phone bleeps in his bag. He pauses the blaring music and unlocks his phone to see who had text him.

From Chanyeol: Hi Yixing, it’s Chanyeol. I’ve booked out practice room 6110 for us to use this evening if you’re still willing to help me out. Don’t worry if you can’t. Don’t wanna guilt trip you into playing XD It’s booked for 6pm. Let me know if you can make it. Thanks :D

The text brings a small smile to Yixing’s face and he keeps smiling as he replies.

From Yixing: Hey, 6 is fine with me. I’m not that great so please don’t expect much. I’ve been to 6110 before so I’ll see you there J

He signs off with a smiley face. 6110 happens to be the room he’d tried to go to with Kyungsoo that had singers in before so he knows exactly where it is. It’s one of the bigger rooms and it has most instruments in it. Yixing wonders why Chanyeol chose that particular room before remembering the piano is electric. Chanyeol could connect his laptop directly to the piano and record the melodies straight after Yixing had pressed a key. Yixing sighs a little and packs away his dance things. He has one more lecture today and then he’ll head over to the music room. Getting some practice in beforehand couldn’t hurt.

His lecture goes smoothly. Yixing is glad he won’t have to catch up this one and he chats leisurely with two of his friends from his course afterwards. Kris and Junmyeon had been independently friends with Yixing before becoming soulmates. Yixing had managed to connect the two together when he’d found Junmyeon couldn’t stop complaining about his soulmates tendency for rap music. Since finding one another, they’d glued their respective groups together and Yixing had become sandwiched between them. He hadn’t minded. Kris was chatting about how frustrating some of the English structures they’d been learning were and Yixing had been agreeing when they’d bumped into some of Junmyeon’s friends from his choir. Yixing had met Jongdae and Baekhyun before so the conversation easily bends to accommodate them.

At around 4pm Yixing makes his excuses and sneaks off to practice. 6110 is empty when he gets there and he settles onto the piano bench. As he does with any instrument, he stretches out his fingers and wrists and rolls his shoulders a little to loosen up. He picks a piece he’d been playing for years to start with and the notes flow easily, the result of hours of practice.

Yixing is about halfway through his fifth or sixth song when someone knocks on the practice room door. He stops in his playing and goes to open it. Chanyeol is stood outside hair ruffled and a little red cheeked. He looks as if he’d just ran over to the practice room.

“Sorry, Yixing. I didn’t want to interrupt but I suddenly really need to play.” Chanyeol looks down at his hands sheepishly. Yixing realises what he means almost straight away. Chanyeol’s soulmate had been playing and he’d been feeling itchy.

“Ahh, don’t worry about it. I guess your soulmate is a musician as well then?” Yixing smiles up at the taller boy and steps aside to let him into the room. Chanyeol laughs a little under his breath.

“You could say that. Since last year I’ve probably been plaguing them, more than the other way around.” Yixing’s brows furrow at his admission. “I’ve relearnt guitar and bass in that time to help with my compositions and have had to practice them a lot to get them to the standards I’ve wanted on my songs.”

Yixing tilts his head. It’s sounding all too familiar and a weird feeling churns in his stomach.

“What instrument can your soulmate play?” He asks, already expecting the answer. Chanyeol turns back to him from where he had lowered his bag.

“Piano, I think. Why?” Chanyeol’s got a slight look a worry on his face.

“Is that what you were coming here to play?” Yixing needs to be sure before he says his suspicions aloud. It could be a coincidence. It could be nothing.

“Err, yeah. I think so at least. I get this buzzy feeling in my hands whenever they play. I’m no good at piano though so I never manage to do it justice.” He looks down at his hands. “It’s gone now though so they must have finished playing.”

Yixing looks down at his own hands and knows he’s right when he thinks Chanyeol is his soulmate. Chanyeol seems to have no idea though and finishes setting up his laptop. Yixing sits back down and tries to process what he’s found out. They fall into silence as Yixing stares at the keys and Chanyeol clicks away on his laptop. Yixing sneaks little looks at the taller boy. Chanyeol seems… nice. Yixing doesn’t know enough about Chanyeol to form an opinion stronger than nice. It doesn’t take Chanyeol long to calibrate his laptop with the piano and he seems pretty calm as he arranges the backing for the song he wants Yixing to play for.

“Ok. I’m all good to go. Do you wanna listen now? I don’t want to disturb whatever you were working on before I got here.” Chanyeol says seemingly focused on his music and nothing else. The talk of soulmates has passed and Yixing decides it’s best to just focus on getting the music recorded and finished. He can go back to worrying about it afterwards.

“Now is good. I was just getting warmed up.” Yixing confirms and turns to face the laptop screen. Chanyeol pulls over a chair and sits beside the bench. He presses play and simple drum beats begin the song. A guitar joins in a little later with some simple chords. Beneath the running track is a music score, and notes start travelling along it. Yixing panics upon seeing it. He’s never learnt to read sheet music. But the song is catchy regardless and he finds himself nodding in time with the music.

Chanyeol glances at Yixing as the track plays. He watches the older boy as he listens to the song he’s been working so hard on the past two weeks. He’d woken up humming to the tune and fallen asleep to a melody in his head. It was his final assessed composition for the semester and he had wanted it to be perfect. The piano was to be a final touch, along with vocals and his own rap. Lyrics had been slowly coming together but he’d wanted to complete the music before getting anything too solid. The piano could change everything. The track ends and he looks at Yixing expectantly. The elder is silent for a little while.

“I can’t read sheet music.” Yixing starts with. Chanyeol raises his eyebrows. It’d been the first thing he’d done when he’d realised his soulmate was able to play.

“That’s fine. I mean, I can show you the keys and how long they should be played for and everything. I just couldn’t play it to speed or anything like that. Not all together.” Chanyeol reassures the other. He doesn’t mind putting in the extra effort. Yixing seems like he’d be worth the effort. Chanyeol shocks himself with the thought and falls silent afterwards.

“Are you sure? I don’t want to force you to have to play for me.” Yixing says quietly. He hates being a burden to other people and he can tell Chanyeol is already very busy with work.

“What? No. I want you to play. Please?” Chanyeol locks eyes with Yixing and a familiar buzz works its way into his fingers. Yixing breaks the contact first looking down at his hands. His fingers are trembling slightly and a quick glance over confirms Chanyeol’s are as well.

“Uhh, I, uhh…” Yixing stammers and stands abruptly. “I need a minute.”

The older boy grabs his bag then rushes out of the room and round the corner of the corridor. He sinks to the ground and drops his head to his knees. He isn’t ready. This isn’t what he wanted. He didn’t want to meet his soulmate yet. He’s only 20. There’s a lot he still wants to do and he’s scared. A soulmate is such a big thing and he feels so small.

He drags in a few shaky breaths, trying to calm his racing heart. Jongin and Sehun met when they were both 18, just barely past Sehun’s birthday, and they were happy. They’d always said they’d known because of the buzzing. The buzzing that Yixing just felt. The buzzing that Chanyeol just felt. That he must have felt.

Chanyeol doesn’t chase after Yixing. He sits and waits. Chanyeol has his own thinking to do. He doesn’t want to pressure Yixing into anything he doesn’t want to do. It feels like he’s been sitting there for ages when his phone pings. It startles him out of his thoughts and he drags his thumb along the screen unlocking it.

From Yixing: I’m sorry for running away but I need some time to think this through. I’m a little scared to be honest and I just need some space. Sorry

Chanyeol doesn’t really know how to respond. He stares at the text, worried that his actions had been the factor that drove Yixing away. Why was Yixing scared? What had he done to spook the other boy so badly? Chanyeol resigns himself to the fact that the melody will have to wait a little while and he sets his phone aside to think up a proper reply. He fiddles with some of the pitching on the current set up of the song before returning it to how it was in the version he had shown Yixing earlier. Chanyeol attempts a few more lyrics but they’re all a little depressing and lacking the hopeful feeling the rest of his song carries. In his frustration, he forgets entirely about texting Yixing back.

 

~~~

 

It’s the next Monday and Yixing habitually falls into his seat beside Luhan. All weekend he’d been hiding from his friends, from his work. He’d even skipped his Saturday dance practice to keep deliberating. Luhan isn’t the only one at the table. Kris is also there as well as Jongdae. Jongdae and Luhan had become unlikely friends since they met and tended to be devils when together. All three turn to look at him as he joins them.

“Oh, he lives?” Luhan sarcastically asks his best friend.

“Sorry.” Yixing mumbles in reply. It sets alarms blaring in the other three and they lean in towards him.

“What’s wrong?” Kris queries in a voice low and calm. Yixing isn’t sure how to answer so he keeps quiet and chews on the inside of his cheek.

“Geez, is this infectious or something? You’re the second grumpy person I’ve had to see today.” Jongdae jokes, trying to lighten the mood. Yixing remembers suddenly that Jongdae minors in music production and, being a second year, he probably knows Chanyeol.

“Wait, second?” Luhan turns to Jongdae. “Who was the first?”

“A friend of mine from production. He was worried that he’d upset someone and had been trying to think of a way to fix it all weekend from the sound of things. He doesn’t know what mistake he’d made but he’s still trying to fix it.” Jongdae smiles in fondness. “He’s a good guy like that. Always wants to do right by everyone.”

“Chanyeol, huh?” Yixing says, not meeting Jongdae’s eyes and keeping staring at the table.

“Wait, you know Chanyeol? And you know he’s fumbling?” Jongdae is a little incredulous. “How? You’re not a music student, right?”

The questions tumble out of Jongdae’s mouth in his usual tendency to chatter. Yixing doesn’t really think before he answers.

“He’s my soulmate.”

The reactions of the people around the table are all comically different but in his little slump Yixing can’t appreciate the comedy.

Jongdae’s jaw drops and he promptly starts stuttering nonsense sounds.

Luhan’s expression is a little blank and he keeps blinking fast. He’s staring at Yixing like the boy had just laid an egg.

Kris has his eyebrows raised but his face remains pretty impassive aside from that. He regains his thought processes fastest and Yixing is thankful of that.

“I take it you found out last week then? Or this weekend? How’d he take it?” Kris aims at Yixing but Jongdae beats him to an answer.

“Chanyeol doesn’t know. He’s a really smart guy when it comes to most things but Yixing could tattoo ‘I’m your soulmate’ on his forehead and Chanyeol would still miss it.”

“So you’re worried about how to tell him? Or what Xing?” Kris circles it back to Yixing.

“It’s part that, I guess.” Yixing has had two full days to himself to process the identity of his soulmate and he was still struggling a little. “I don’t think I’m ready.”

Kris chuckles. Luhan still sits mute.

“You’re never really ready. I was super nervous when I learnt Junmyeon was my soulmate. But it’s something you work through together and it’s ok in the end. I’m not saying you’re going to fall in love instantly but you can work it out. It doesn’t need to happen overnight, you’re going to have the rest of your lives to sort all the out.” Kris smiles at Yixing gently. Whilst they’re in the same year at university, Kris is a year older than Yixing. He tries to remember what it was like at the beginning between Kris and Junmyeon and all he recalls is ridiculous politeness and Kris trying his best not to swear.

Jongdae smiles at this and turns to Yixing himself.

“Honestly, Chanyeol might be a little clueless but he’s a sweetheart. You won’t find anyone more dedicated to making you happy. I mean, he doesn’t even know you’re soulmates and he’s clearly lost sleep thinking how to apologise to you over whatever happened. He’s a ditz but he’s a good guy. Let him try.” He explains. The two had been friends for a while now since Jongdae had sang for one of his previous compositions. Yixing sighs.

“I know he’s a good guy. I worry I’m not.” Yixing murmurs but before he can say anything else, Luhan interrupts. He seems to have recovered from the shock at last.

“Bull are you not good enough.” Luhan defends Yixing intensely. “You are the most selfless human being I have ever met. You do everything and anything to please everyone but yourself. For once, focus on you. Make yourself happy. You deserve it, Xing.”

The two long-time friends share a little smile and Yixing starts to believe he can do this. He can tell Chanyeol and they can work it out. Whilst he still has courage, he pulls his phone from his pocket and clicks into Chanyeol’s conversation.

From Yixing: I’m sorry I overreacted. Can we try this again? Are you free anytime from now onwards today? I’d really like to try this again

Yixing presses send before he can lose his nerve. He waits and the conversation naturally flows along with him and around him. It’s not very long before his phone buzzes on the table where he’d left it and all his friends fall silent in anticipation. It takes him a little longer than usual to unlock his phone but he manages in the end.

From Chanyeol: Of course! I thought I’d really upset you! I really hope I haven’t??? I wanna fix it, please? Please? Please? I’m free all day, just name your place :D

The enthusiasm is palpable in Chanyeol’s text and Yixing feels a small smile creep onto his face. He requests the same room as before and sends his reply. He stands and his friends all wish him luck. Yixing wonders if he’ll need it.

 

~~~

 

Chanyeol beats Yixing to 6110 this time. He’s nervously standing when he hears Yixing enter and he immediately turns to the older boy. His apology spills out before he has time to filter it.

“I’m so sorry. I didn’t know you’d be intimidated by the sheet music and I just wanted to make things easier and I didn’t think properly because I never do…” It’s then that he meets Yixing’s eyes. He briefly notices the older boys small smile before he feels the buzzing in his fingers. The sensation is spreading up his arms and he breaks the eye contact to look down. Yixing does the same. His hands are shaking a little uncertainly. Nothing major, just a slight tremble as the buzzing fades away. Chanyeol’s eyes go round. He knows what this means.

“Sorry.” Yixing says, still looking down. “I know you probably didn’t want to get stuck with me so I’ve been trying to think of a way to lessen the blow. It’s been why I’ve been so distant.”

Yixing trails off. Chanyeol looks over at him. Yixing might be older than him but Chanyeol has him beaten on height. He’s struck by how pretty Yixing is, now that he’s actually looking at him like that. Chanyeol knows he isn’t thinking things through properly when he moves towards Yixing. He’s just acting but for once, he isn’t going to regret it.

He reaches Yixing in about two steps and wraps his arms around the smaller boy. He feels Yixing stiffen and the other boy doesn’t respond for a beat or two. Chanyeol grows a little nervous and almost pulls away but he feels Yixing gently return his embrace. It feels nice, like he fits just right with Yixing.

Yixing, after overcoming his initial shock, lets himself burrow a little into Chanyeol’s warmth. The comfort washes over him in a similar way to the buzzing except it’s all smooth instead of itchy. He smiles to himself and they stand there for a long time. They part eventually though, they know they have to. Chanyeol is grinning.

“I do believe I need to apologise for being blind. And re-introduce myself.” He clears his throat and Yixing is trying not to giggle and Chanyeol’s show. “My name is Park Chanyeol and I believe I have the great honour of being your soulmate.”

He makes an exaggerated bow and Yixing can’t stop the little laugh that bubbles out his mouth at the display. When Chanyeol straightens, Yixing sweeps into a bow himself.

“ I’m Zhang Yixing and the honour is mine.”

“I think you’ll find I’m the honoured one.” Chanyeol playfully argues. “I saw you first.”

Yixing is laughing properly now and Chanyeol wastes no time joining in.

Sure, it’s not love they feel. It’s far too soon for love. But there is a wonderful warmth flowing through both of them and they savour it. They’re smiling and content.

Yixing can almost forgive Chanyeol for his blisters when he smiles at him like that.

 

[ And it's finished... Thank you so much for reading! I hope you enjoyed it as much as I enjoyed writing this!  ]

[ Let me know what you guys think and if you want a sequel down below :) ]

[ Happy Reading, from MissUprising :3 ]