Chapter 6

Prince and Knight

Minwoo's sleep pattern became far more uneven and his waking hours more unpredictable. He was starting to feel a little run down, and he could see it affecting Hyunseong and the twins too, though the latter at least seemed to have been spared waking up before sunrise. Jeongmin as well had started to fall under pressure as the prince began to demand he write song after song about the brave knight rescuing him. The bard was having trouble taking it seriously, but also swamped with a new song being requested nearly every other day – much faster than he was used to writing them.

Prince Donghyun was being exceedingly dramatic. By the time Minwoo arrived at the castle he was half falling off the chaise lounge and complaining about some imaginary injury that required Minwoo to carry him. He did so with as little fuss as he could manage. By the time they were on the horse the prince was clinging to him, head on his shoulder.

“Take me to my bed chambers,” Prince Donghyun whined.

“Yes, Prince Donghyn,” he replied, trying to keep his weariness from his voice.

They rode the distance to the palace, the prince clinging to him the whole ride.

“Where would I be without my brave knight?” The prince sighed.

“Still stuck in that tower until someone else came along. It's good I came when I did, who knows how long you would have been there,” he replied easily. It wasn't the first time they'd had this conversation.

“You saved me and carried me to your steed. How gracious of you to be so kind!”

“I would do anything for you, you are the prince of the realm.”

The prince fell unusually quiet for a moment. “Even if something unexpected happened?”

Minwoo nodded. “Of course!”

“Like when you saved me from a falling book?”

he glanced back at the prince, surprised. “Yes. Of course. I'm supposed to keep you safe, and you're important.”

“Am I important? I'll never inherit the throne and there's no one to marry me off to for political reasons. I'm just an extraneous child.”

“That's not true!” Minwoo looked back at him and frowned, before quickly apologising. “I'm sorry, I didn't mean to sound rude, Prince Donghyun, but you're still important”

“How?”

“All people are important. Everyone has value. You don't have to have some set purpose or destiny to be important. Especially if you're royal.”

The prince fell into a thoughtful silence and remained that way until they reached the palace.

“We're here, your highness,” Minwoo announced.

“I asked you to bring me to my bed chambers.”

“Um, this is as far as I'm allowed to go...”

“You are allowed to go wherever I say you are, so you're allowed to carry me to my bed chambers.”

“But I don't know where to take you...”

“So I'll guide you.” The prince gave him a hearty pat on the shoulder.

He sighed and got down off his horse. Once the prince was down as well he lifted him in his arms, not even shocked that he'd developed the arm and core strength to carry him so easily. The prince guided him through long lavish corridors with gigantic paintings and tapestries hanging from the walls, across rooms with soft carpets and ornate furniture, up stairs with golden banisters until they reached a large wooden door.

He reached out and nervously pushed it open.

Beyond was a huge room with a giant bed in the middle, decorated with hanging fabrics and paintings. A number of statues sat around the room and books were stuffed into shelves up to the ceiling. A large piano sat in the corner.

“Welcome to my room!” Prince Donghyun said excitedly “Take me to my bed.”

Minwoo sighed and carried him across the room and lay him down on the bed awkwardly, his armour making it hard to bend. The prince rolled out of his arms and onto the bedding and grinned at him.

“Come lie with me.”

Minwoo blinked. “I don't think I can.”

“Sure you can.” The prince grinned at him.

“Your Highness, I really should be going...”

The prince frowned. “Why?”

“I have to go and tidy my home, and make sure the others are okay?”

“The others?”

He nodded. “One of the knights I fight sometimes, the twins, the bard..”

“Oh...” The prince seemed surprised.

“I shouldn't be here anyway. I'll get in trouble, even if you let me stay.”

The prince frowned. “Don't go yet.”

“Your highness-”

“Not without taking a few things.” The prince got up and dug out a travel bag and began to fill it with cushions and blankets, then grabbed a bowl of fruit from one of the tables and added it on top. “Here!” He held it out.

“Prince Donghyun, what is this?”

“If you need to make sure they're okay, you should at least make sure you're okay too.”

He slowly took the bag. “Thank you.”

“Now... Go. Go back to the others. I'm tired and need to sleep.”

Minwoo nodded, still surprised. “Sleep well, your highness.”

The prince nodded and flopped down on the bed again, waving Minwoo away.

He departed quickly.