Affinity Of A Soul

Drabbles

[503 words]

Min Yoongi’s not one to fall in love easily, hell, he doesn’t even make friends easily.

He’s guarded, closed off - introverted is the word Namjoon uses to try to make it  sound less offensive. Yoongi calls himself socially inept. He knows he needs to get out more, he knows he should have more than three friends, but people are hard to be around for more than maybe an hour or so without being completely emotionally and physically draining for him.  At least, for the ones he does have, he’s a damn good friend. He’ll eat anything Jin cooks for him, listen to whatever existential bull Namjoon wants to rant about, and go to whatever competition Hoseok’s participating in.

Which is where he was when he first saw Park Jimin.

Park Jimin who does contemporary dance, who moves with such fluidity and grace that Yoongi couldn’t believe his eyes. Park Jimin who smiled with such excitement and sincerity when he walked on stage, and then transitioned into something fiercely intense, both such raw emotion Yoongi thinks he stopped breathing. And when he dances, you could see he put is whole being into it. His blood, his sweat and his tears, anyone can see into his heart and soul.

Namjoon said Yoongi’s jaw dropped when he first saw the man.

Yoongi thinks he might be a hypocrite, because for someone who puts up so many walls so people can’t get to know the real him, he thinks he falls a little bit in love with whoever shows him their soul. In a world where there’re so many people who’re are guarded and fearful, where they hide behind fake smiles and artificial pretenses, Yoongi appreciated the rawness of it all so very much.

He loves his friends because they show a little bit of their soul to him when they do something they love. When Jin’s cooking for someone or calling out bad jokes, when Namjoon’s composing in the studio with him or when he’s studying something he’s interested in, when Hoseok throws himself into a choreography. They all show their souls and Yoongi fell platonically for the three of them.

There was something different about Park Jimin though, something deeper that made Yoongi’s heart pick up its pace – almost as if he were the one up on the stage performing.

It was just dumb luck, Yoongi assumed, (or maybe it was Jin sending a text to their friend about how suddenly smitten Yoongi seemed) when Hoseok introduced him to Jimin after the performance. Hoseok apparently having grown close to the boy in the duration of rehearsals and competing. Yoongi wasn’t one to believe in love at first sight, but Park Jimin might have at the very least planted the seed of something close to love in their first meeting.

The more time Yoongi spent with Jimin, the more of his soul Jimin would share, and the more Yoongi would start to share his soul – just a little, but enough.