Blanche Neige

Snow White

Blanche Neige


 

 “Oh dear winter, I know that you are near, but when you’re gone, I begin to feel as if I just might disappear.” The young man whispered to himself as he stared out the window in a wistful thinking. On this windy day, the colorful crunching leaves of late fall are dancing their way to readied themselves to bid him goodbye.

“So things go.” He said. It was usually around this time of the year when lonely hearts began singing their lonely songs. And Daehyun was singing along to his own melancholic melody, the slow constant rhythm of his own beating heart, and the soft whispers of his steadied breath.

In the comfy of his small cottage amidst the enchanting forest, his lonely heart longed for a company so much more that day than he ever did before.

He glanced over to the antique mirror hung on the wall by the fireplace, and walked towards it. He stared into his own reflection, curling his lips into a saddening smile. He traced his hand along the rustic golden frame, the texture rough and uneven.

“Mirror mirror on the wall, who is the fairest one of all?” He said in a monotonous voice, half joking, half wishful. “The first snow fall will be here soon and I have no one to share the joy with, what’s the use of a cozy fireplace when it fails to warm my cold heart?”

“Hair as black as a raven, lips as red as blood, and skin as white as snow. That would be ideal, but I’m not hoping for much. Someone with a lovely heart, that alone, would let me die a peaceful death.”

The evening skies a dark shade of indigo, the sun had went below the horizon to instead assist the moon to shine for the night. Daehyun went outside to light up the lantern posts lining up his stone pathway and to clear the dead leaves scattered on the pathway. The old wooden fences he had surrounding his little cottage to separate his properties with the rest of the forest seemed to be shivering in the cold soon-to-be winter night.

“I have the crisp December breeze to kiss my nose, the closest I have for a goodnight kiss.” He chuckled.

“Well, goodnight trees,” He said to the balding trees surrounding his lovely home.

 “Goodnight creek,” He said to the calming creek outside his wooden fence, a simple bricked bridge curving over it.

“Goodnight forest and all the lovely creatures,” He said to the mystical creatures beyond the forest.

“And goodnight to you, Luna.” He said to the gleaming moon, a contrast in the darkened duvet.

After making sure the fire in the fireplace was steady, he blew out all the candles except for the one hanging by his bed. The subtle rustling sounds of leaves sang him to sleep. His heart so lonely, the entire forest felt a strong compassion for him.

The next morning, Daehyun excitedly rose from bed, hoping to see snow on his window sill. There wasn’t a speck of snow, but the freezing weather told him otherwise.

“Good morning forest.” He breathed, sounding rather sleepy before letting out a great yawn. In his cotton pajamas, he stepped out to his front lawn, the morning birds sang sweetly as if greeting him for a new day. “I wonder if the creek is freezing.” He mumbled as he made his way to the fence, trailing down the cleared pathway. The candles in the lanterns had burnt themselves up overnight.

Opening the wooden gate to the outside, he gasped upon seeing a sleeping human being lying right by the entrance of the gate. The first drop of snow fell on the man’s tiny nose. Daehyun blinked away, letting out a breath he was holding.

“Oh dear, you must be cold.” The kind hearted Daehyun rushed to carry the smaller boy into his cottage, softly laying him down onto his bed. He wrapped the freezing body with his blankets, hoping to warm him down. When he finally took his time to observe the other man, his eyes glistened in awe.

Soft hair darker than raven, heart lips as red as the darkest blood, skin as white as a pure first drop of snow, he was indescribably beautiful. Daehyun wondered how much more beautiful the man would be when he’s awake. And as if reading his thought, the pretty male’s eyes fluttered open ever so slowly, revealing the prettiest amber colored iris Daehyun had ever seen.

The diamond like eyes widened, “It seemed that I had fallen asleep by your front gate last night, I was lost and cold, I’m so sorry,  please spare my life.” He begged, voice like caramel, sweeter than the honey Daehyun collected from his bee friends on every Sunday of spring and summer, in return for his blooming daisies and blossoms.

 “Oh no no. Do not concern yourself with needless worries. My lacking home is more than enough to accommodate another being.” Daehyun hushed the young lad, assuring him that his presence is warmly welcomed. “May I know your name and to where were you headed in the woods all alone?”

“My name is Youngjae, and I was running away from my evil stepmother who tried to kill me.” He sobbed. “I had nowhere to go but the lights from your cottage led me here.”

“Oh dear. That’s terrible.” Daehyun sympathized. He placed a hand on Youngjae’s smaller ones, “Don’t worry, you’re safe here. I have enough food for the winter, and I was hoping for a little company for this lonely season. You can stay here for as long as you want.”

“Thank you, kind stranger. I will remember your kindness and promise to one day repay you by any means.” Youngjae smiled.

“You can call me Daehyun.” Daehyun found himself grinning so wide, his lonely heart began to heal.

Winter is coming, but it felt warmer than any other seasons. The fire was now unnecessary for his heart was melting on its own.

Daehyun was more than happy to share his food with Youngjae, the bread he baked the day before tasted so much better with someone to dine with.

The snow had fallen down like dripping rain since he saw the first snowfall on Youngjae’s nose that morning, and by the afternoon, fluffy white snow blanketed the earth, hiding the leaves from yesterday.

As days gone by, the two grew closer. Daehyun was sure that the warmth he felt in his heart when he sees Youngjae smiles was meant to be.

Wrapped in thick cotton sweaters and coats, they lay on the snow drift beneath their newly made snowman, shaping their snow angels as they laughed in glee.

“Your snow white skin looked really beautiful against the powdered snow.” Daehyun complimented, causing Youngjae’s cheeks to redden, the heat could melt the snow.

“Well, I think you looked better, your tanned skin a wonderful contrast with the pale snow. How handsome.” Youngjae replied, his tone was teasing yet it stirred so many emotions inside the other. A snow fell onto his little nose, making him sneeze. He rubbed his nose with the back of his hand, eyes tightly shut.

Daehyun sat up and leaned towards the younger male, “It had started snowing, let’s get inside.”

But Youngjae refused, he rolled to the other side before getting up on his foot, and jumped around in the fluffy snow. “Let’s play a little more, Daehyun.” He beamed, pulling Daehyun by the arm.

The snowfalls were starting to drizzle. “We can play again tomorrow, it’s really cold, you might get sick.” Daehyun said in concern, dragging Youngjae towards the tiny cottage. However, Youngjae managed to free himself and ran back towards the snowman.

“Then catch me if you can.”

Daehyun laughed as he played along. They ran around the snow field before Daehyun managed to grab him by the arm. Youngjae clumsily stumbled onto the snow covered ground, pulling Daehyun with him along the way. With Daehyun on top of him, he gave Daehyun a surprise peck on the lips. Shocked, Daehyun batted his lashes before finally leaned down to kiss the other deeply, lovingly. They forgot how cold it was. The word ‘I love you’ was exchanged, and two hearts became one.

On an early march one day, a white dove delivered a scroll to their front lawn. It was announced that Youngjae’s evil stepmother had passed away from her own vain.

“Just like the winter had come and go, I too, have to go.” Youngjae whispered sadly. “I can’t stay here forever, but as a gift for your kindness, I shall grant you any wish.”

“So things go.” Daehyun muttered softly, sadly. His heart was crying, and the loneliness from months ago crawled back to his chest, making its way for a permanent stay.

“I will come and visit you,” Youngjae promised. “Now, tell me your wish and I will be on your service, no matter how impossible it is.”

“You came here on the first day of winter, and are leaving on the last. My wish is that you stay, because I had just beginning to like winter.” Daehyun stated, eyes glistening with hope, just like the first time it had landed upon the pretty boy.

 “If that’s your wish, then, I will stay.”

Daehyun threw himself on the smaller male, embracing him tightly so he would never leave. And that was how his once lonely heart remained warm and filled with love.

They lived together through the coming spring, planting new flowers and collecting sweet honey. They took walks beyond the forest and met little creatures. They lived together through summer, where they bathed in the cool creek, and played by the hills nearby. They camped out in the lawn and sang their campfire song. They lived together through the fall, collecting firewood and harvesting fruits and crops to store. They decorated the lawn and cleared up dried leaves. They lived through the winter, where they built snowmen and made snow angels. They made out by the fireplace and slept in the warmth of each other. They lived together for the next cycle of seasons, and the next and the next. They lived together for the rest of their lives. And they lived happily ever after.