Yook's Request and The Misunderstanding

Love at First Melody

They were slowly walking back to the dorms seemingly dragging the time out as much as they could before arriving back. It had been a few minutes after leaving the noraebang but Sungjae was still feeling the aftereffects of singing together as four. He was so hyped to the extent that the euphoria streaming throughout his body erased any thoughts or doubts of the day, creating a sense of invincibility that made him feel he could accomplish anything he set out to do. With that in mind, he remembered the sole purpose of coming tonight.

 

Changsub was walking ahead in front of the others, hands in pockets with his head looking down. He kicked a pebble in his path out of the way and looked up to watch the direction it went. Once he saw the whereabouts of the pebble, he once again put his head down and continued walking in this manner.

 

Sungjae casually sped up his walk, catching up to Changsub’s pace and walked beside him, shoulder to shoulder. He glimpsed at Changsub deliberately to check if he noticed his presence, but he seemed reserved and determined to continue his pace regardless of Sungjae walking by his side. His behavior was reminiscent of what Sungjae had seen before in the practise room where all his energy was focused on his dance lessons. Sungjae wondered what he must be so focused on now to display this kind of aura.

 

“So,...uh..,” Sungjae started but faltered once Changsub lifted up his head and looked at him, giving him a peculiar look.

 

“Oh, hi..Sungjae-ya, sorry about that. I was deep in thought. I didn’t noticed you there. What did you want to say?” Changsub said bemusedly and gave him a half smile.

 

“That’s alright. I’m sure you are still recuperating from our earlier experience at the noraebang. I know I am,” Sungjae said, reassuring himself and acknowledging that it was possible but still feeling a little hurt that his presence didn’t bother him in the same way that Changsub did for him. Changsub shook his head about to say something but then thought better of it.

 

“Yeah, I guess so,” he said, “anything bothering you? What were you saying earlier?”

 

“Oh, uh I uh kinda have a favor to ask of you,” Sungjae said, pushing away his hurt feelings and mentally chastising himself to focus and clarify his request. He looked at Changsub beseechingly before uttering the rest of his request, viewing his face closely. Sungjae never noticed before but Changsub was extremely pale for a Korean and he had a mole that shared a spot on his chin line that was only visible if you searched for it.

 

“I want you to be my tutor!” Sungjae spoke so fast he wasn’t sure he said it. Bowing his head down, he further expand his request. “Please, I really want you as my tutor. I’ll do anything you tell me to do. I’ll be a good student. You won’t regret it if you say yes!” Sungjae begged him.

 

Eunkwang and Hyunsik who had been walking further back behind them had now caught up and witnessed his proposal. Sungjae was embarrassed they had seen it but he stood his ground and continued bowing his head, waiting for Changsub’s answer. It was silent for a few seconds until Sungjae felt hands grab him by the shoulder lifting his head to look at him. Changsub was smiling back at him and Sungjae smiled back with relief, believing he had his answer.

 

“Are you sure you want me as a tutor? I am very strict when it comes to teaching,” Changsub said cautiously, scrutinizing Sungjae reactions at his statements. Sungjae shook his head in assent eagerly, happy that he had finally succeeded in asking Changsub.

 

“Okay, then. Don’t say I didn’t warn you,” Changsub said, “Tutoring starts after all other required classes for the day have been completed. We’ll meet in the practise room at 9 P.M. Be ready!”

 

“Yes, yes, I will! Thank you, Changsub hyung,” Sungjae said enthusiastically while bowing several times. He’d forgotten that they had an audience until he heard a loud exclamation of disbelief beside him.

 

“Wow!!! Changsub is going to teach Sungjae. That’s unbelievable. You’re going to take time out of your busy schedule to help out another trainee,” Eunkwang exclaimed, and pointedly looked over to Sungjae, “he must really like you Sungjae-ah, to do that!” Changsub immediately looked at Eunkwang and stared at him for a few seconds as if they were communicating telepathically and then glanced back at Sungjae before rushing off back to the dorms that was only a block away now. Sungjae looked at Eunkwang questionly.

 

“What did you mean, Eunkwang hyung?” Sungjae asked curiously, but he remained silent.

 

“He means that Changsub hyung loves to stick to his schedule and of course sleep afterwards. The fact that he is willing to adjust his schedule for you speaks volumes,” Hyunsik answered. “You must’ve made a great impression for him do that for you.”

 

Sungjae looked over to Eunkwang to confirm Hyunsik’s statement, fearing that he would get his hopes up, but saw Eunkwang nodding his head in agreement.

 

“Really? Are you serious?” Sungjae asked, seeking further clarification before rejoicing but he couldn’t contain the smile plastered on his face.

 

“Yes, he is. Changsub takes his training serious and he wouldn’t just take time away from his own training to train another unless he sees that the person is willing to work hard too. Since he accepted your invitation of tutoring you it must mean that he trusts your word when you stated that you would obey and do everything he said. He must believe that you have the skills needed to reach your goals,” Eunkwang explained in detail. Sungjae smile grew so much that his cheeks began to hurt but he didn’t care. What he had just learn made him so happy he felt like he could fly at any moment.

 

Later that night, Sungjae laid in bed, his mind wandering with images of possible scenario's for tomorrow’s first tutoring session with Changsub.

 

The next day seemed to relentlessly go on forever with classes dragging on as slow as a snail creeping up a ledge. He’d barely slept last night with varying possibilities of today racing through his mind like a thunder of horse hoofs galloping at full speed. Now the time was fast approaching and Sungjae was beginning to feel the stirring of butterflies developing in the pit of his stomach.

 

He’d completed his classes for the day and was making his way back to the dorm. His clothes were entirely drenched with sweat from dance class and he needed to take a quick detour to change into a fresh pair of clothes before meeting Changsub. He took a quick shower to wash away the stench of practise and put on a white plain t-shirt and black jersey shorts. Hearing the clock ticking away near his head on the wall he noticed the time was 5 minutes before 9 P.M, the scheduled time set up by Changsub, and raced out the door to the practice room.

 

When he finally entered the practise room three minutes after nine he found Changsub behind the drum set playing a score from a familiar song he heard before but couldn’t place. Seeing him play, Sungjae was once again in awe. He had not known that he was also capable of playing an instrument too. He was full of surprises.

 

Changsub looked up from his playing hearing footsteps from the entrance and stopped at once when he saw Sungjae standing by the door. Placing the drumstick back to their original spot he stood up and greeted Sungjae.

 

“Hello, Sungjae. You made it. I wasn’t sure if you would come,” Changsub said, smiling and waving for him to come closer. Sungjae did as he was instructed and came closer.

 

“Of course I would come. I’m the one that asked you for this. Why wouldn’t I come?” Sungjae asked, curious as to why Changsub would doubt his request.

 

“Oh, no reason,” Changsub said while awkwardly laughing. He seemed to be a little flustered but then he shifted yet again into the serious, scary Changsub that he had seen before at the noraebang. Sungjae looked down trying to readjust to the new image Changsub was displaying before him knowing that this was also part of Changsub’s persona.

 

“So I’ve decided we are going to start off with simple steps and then move our way up from there. Are you okay with that?” Changsub asked and looked at Sungjae, waiting for his answer.

 

Sungjae nodded, “Yes, that’s fine.”

 

“Okay, let’s move to the center of the room. You stand here.” Changsub said while pointing his finger in the spot he wished for Sungjae to stand. Sungjae followed along but he was beginning to feel something was off. He looked at Changsub trying to understand the situation but he appeared unaware of Sungjae’s confusion.

 

“Now, place your feet apart about a foot length and your arms should be in this position,” Changsub said, demonstrating with his own arms. Sungjae followed this too.

 

Sungjae at first thought that it must be a prank that Changsub was playing on him but on closer inspection he saw that Changsub was very serious when giving him commands for a simple dance move. Certainly if he was joking with him there would be a hint of a smile on his face or a glint in his eye but there was none. He really wanted to voice his concern but he did not want to interrupt his instruction either.

 

By the looks of his current circumstances it became apparent that there was a misunderstanding last night during his request which he now realised was his fault. Sungjae had meant for Changsub to become his vocal teacher but Changsub must have taken his request as meaning to become his dance teacher. He had forgotten to specify his request last night and was now stuck in this predicament.

 

Changsub continued to direct and instruct the moves to a dance that Sungjae didn’t really care about. He tried to follow his every command but he had become disheartened and upset with the outcome of his request. He wanted to sing and instead he was here learning dance steps he didn’t really care for but was afraid of voicing his disappointment, concerned that he would ruin the great impression that he had had on Changsub. Why hadn’t he specify his request? Sungjae sighed in disappointment at himself.

 

“Sungjae-ah, are you here? Why aren’t you following my directions?” Changsub whispered in his ear, then took a step back once he had his attention, “you said you would follow my every command. Are you having second thoughts now?” Sungjae shook his head in disagreement, eyeing Changsub standing so close to him he could hear him breathe, with his hand place comfortably on his shoulder as if they were close friends for years.

 

Sungjae had been so immersed in his thoughts he had lost focus on Changsub’s instructions but now that he was right next to him with his right arm wrapped around his shoulder and his eyes staring a hole into him trying to read Sungjae’s face, he realized that given the situation he would use it as a chance to develop the friendship he wanted and receive the personal dance training from Changsub happily regardless if it wasn’t what he had initially intended. He could always ask him later on for vocal training once they became closer.

 

“I’m sorry, Changsub hyung. I didn’t mean to do that. I promise I’ll listen from here on out,” Sungjae said apologetically.

 

“All right then. Let’s continue where I left off,” Changsub said, while now placing his hands on Sungjae’s arm moving it in the position that he wanted. Sungjae watched and obeyed as Changsub continued on with his instructions, coming over more than once to position Sungjae’s body in the form that he wanted and then instructing further on. Sungjae believed that Changsub was trying to keep his attention focused on him in this manner and it appeared to be working.

 

Hours flew by and midnight was fast approaching. Sungjae was once again drench with his own sweat but saw that Changsub too was drench from head to toe. Changsub was indeed a strict teacher but Sungjae didn’t mind since he was lacking in his dancing skills and probably needed it more than he cared to say.

 

“I think it’s time to call it a night,” Changsub finally said after taking a breather from the last dance he had taught Sungjae. Sweat trickled down his face but he didn’t seem to mind. He looked over at Sungjae and asked, “So, what did you think? Do you think you can continue personal training with me or do you want out?” He laughed a little while saying the last part of the question. “This is your last chance, Sungjae-ah. Once you agree to stay, you are stuck with me,” Changsub teased.

 

“It was tough at first but I think I can continue,” Sungjae said without hesitation. Changsub seemed amused at Sungjae’s answer. He smiled endearingly at him and went over beside Sungjae and grabbed him by the shoulder.

 

“Then I think we will get along quite well,” Changsub said smiling and laughing while shaking his arms. Sungjae couldn’t help but to laugh with him. Changsub let go and walked over to the corner of the room to grab his things. Walking back he grabbed him by the arm and pulled him to the door to leave.

 

“I’ve decided we will have our training session three times a week. Does that work for you?” Changsub asked. Sungjae shook his head yes.


They decided they would train every Monday, Wednesday and Friday. Changsub had training schedules the other days and was unavailable to train Sungjae. Sungjae was just happy that Changsub had really opened up his personal time to train him that he was grateful for anything that he offered. He went to dorm that night tired and exhausted but content with the day’s events.