First Melody

Love at First Melody

It happened in a split second. A heart pounding, mind inducing angelic melody that magically cast and bewitched his heart. It was all he could do to hold himself up as Sungjae's body was captivated and his ears mesmerised with the hauntingly beautiful melody that seemed to be flowing out from the practice room before him. Breathless and feeling his heart pounding ever so loudly in his ears in rhythm with the music, as if it too was taking part and harmonizing along. A spell had been casted upon him by the glorious angel that sung these notes effortlessly.

With a fluttering heart and shaking hands he slowly inch his feet to the door that was left ajar seeking to view whomever was the source of this majestic tune that bless his ears on this lonely night.

 

Peeking through the crack, the back of a familiar stranger came into view. He was dressed comfortably in a grey t-shirt and blue sweats. The stranger was still singing his lungs out to the dismay of Sungjae leaving little doubt to the source that had captured his heart at once with a single note. The stranger continued on without realizing he now had an audience. He was reaching the of the song and as he did so Sungjae's heart too reached it's , pounding and drumming along, continuing the harmonious salute to the song sung before him. Tears started to trickle down his cheeks and he knew he was in trouble now.

 

His heart had been so moved by the emotions conveyed by the singer of this song that it had summoned tears. This was a first for him. No one had ever done that before. As he stood there marvelling at this, his ears perked at the quietness that now seem to consume the air around him. His eyes immediately shot up, wide eyed and mouth agape he was now eye to eye to the one who had the power to control his heart. He quickly wiped the tears that clung to his cheeks hoping that the stranger hadn’t taken notice.

 

The stranger seemed hesitant and surprised at the appearance of Sungjae at the door.

"...uh...hello...I thought I was alone. If you need the room, you can use it now. I'm leaving anyways."

 

Sungjae was shocked. This was the person whose voice had the ability to rouse his body into compliance. They were trainee's at Cube Entertainment and had met a few times before during dance lessons. He was a few years older than him therefore his hyung and someone to be respected at all times. They weren't close but Sungjae always obeyed every command issued from him. Sungjae’s first impression of him was someone who took the job of a trainee seriously and appeared to be a determined and passionate individual with a strong desire to debut soon. Sungjae had admired that about him but he had never once known of his singing gift until now. His name was Lee Changsub.

 

"Wow. Your voice....it’s amazing!" Sungjae blurted out before thinking. He then blushed at his own words. He hadn't meant to sound so amazed. Of course he should sound great. They were training to become singers. Sungjae loved singing but knew that he still needed more improvement but upon hearing Changsub sing he now felt that he was quite lacking in his singing abilities.

 

Changsub appeared taken aback by Sungjae's outburst but then the darndest thing happened. He smiled. And Sungjae's heart fluttered. Again. What was this? He thought it was only his voice that could move his heart. Changsub then laughed and his eyes formed into crescents. Sungjae tried to hold himself together. Somehow the spell that had been casted on him during the song had done something to him. He had seen Changsub before and nothing like this had ever happen. But now, he could not look Changsub in the eye. Sungjae lowered his head abashedly, trying to gather his thoughts before Changsub caught on that something was wrong with him. He started to laugh timidly. What the hell was wrong with him?

 

Changsub gathered his belongings that were laying on the chair beside him and began heading in his direction. Sungjae’s mind raced. What should he do? He was frozen in place and Changsub was coming closer.

 

“Sungjae-ah, do you mind if you move? I have to get out.” Changsub spoke in his lilting voice and smiled again. Sungjae’s body instantly moved in the opposite direction as to make room for his exit. Changsub squeezed through the remaining space between Sungjae and the door, his right arm slightly brushing him in passing.


After he left, Sungjae entered the practice room and finally collapsed onto the nearest chair. He was in total awe at the voice that he had had the privilege of hearing earlier and amazed at the person it had come out of. He had no idea when he had first met Changsub that he was capable of evoking deep emotions out of a person and stirring their heart to the point that it could cause physical sensations of elation. He sat there in contemplation for a long time thereafter and eventually came to the decision that if Changsub was to debut in the next group that he would have to do everything in his power to tag along with him. But in order to do so he would have to improve his voice and he could not do it alone. He would need a tutor and he knew exactly who he was going to ask.