001

Ex-Bestfriend

Chen and I used to be best friends, but not anymore. Now, he usually hangs out with his so-called girlfriend, Hana. She is beautiful, even I can’t deny it. But, what good is being beautiful when you are so arrogant and have an attitude of a hyena. I didn’t mean to insult, but that is what she is. She always laugh in that high-pitch voice of hers so that she can capture the attention of boys and I must say that she did a great job at doing so. Boys easily swoon over her and that includes my ex-best-friend. Ever since Chen had a crush on her, he kept ditching me so that he can get closer to her. As a friend I did understand him. But when we can’t even have a proper conversation more than five minutes, I started to get annoyed. How can he just ignore me like that? I wasn’t mad, I was furious. The problem is, it is my nature to forgive. When I stated my anger towards him, he would bat his lashes with a pout at his mouth saying ‘sorry’ in a cute way. I was literally melting inside. Yes he’s my best friend, and I shouldn’t felt that way about him, but anyone would melt seeing him being all cute like that. It’s not like I have a crush on him or something. I haven’t mention this but Chen, he was damn hot. It was a miracle someone like him befriend me. Actually, when people know how we became friends at first, they would definitely say that he is fortunate that he found me and became my friend.

When I was eight, my mom brought me to a new neighbor’s house. She was a single mother of two adorable boys with one of them being Chen and the other one is his older brother. Even at that time I can see that my best friend had a face of a future model, but his attire was so nerdish, even the nerds would be ashamed. On that day my mom told me we were the same age and told me to talk to him. Despite looking like a nerd, he was 100% not nerdish at all. How shocking is that! It was fun talking to him. He is such a troll, just like me and since then we became close. I was a bit boyish back then and I really enjoyed extreme sports. Like hiking, rock climbing, paintball and so many other things. So when I have a new friend I would like them to enjoy what I enjoy as well. So he grew up doing extreme sports with me and that explain his muscular abs that girls were and are eyeing. And thanks to me, he no longer wear that nerd outfit because I forced him to change his style. Nerd and Chen is so not a good combination. So, I can conclude that him, being who he is right now is all from my hard work. Too bad he didn’t appreciate it and ditched me for an annoying, crazy girl, Hana that I dislike so much.

I still haven’t tell how we started not being best friend yet. Yeah, I blabber a lot when I’m stressed out. But what can I say, a woman, or a girl in my situation, is all emotions. So, everyone knows that we were best friend. Who wouldn’t know when your best friend is the eye-candy of the girls at your school, and me, I’m the ordinary, care-free girl who likes to do crazy and weird stuff. I’m not as beautiful as those in the cheerleader squad, which consist of my ex-best-friend’s girlfriend, I’m just average but my attitude is way prettier than hers. I do not know how I manage to put it all in one sentence and if it make sense. But who cares. Back to the story, when we became apart, I was always sulky because, who wouldn’t if you kept being left out? I just kept it in because I treasure my friendship. But lucky me, he did not care even a quarter as much as I do about our friendship. I started to lose it when one day, after almost a week without proper chit-chatting we got to hang out together for lunch. He told me things about him that he thought that I missed out, but how can I not know when everyone is talking about their oh-so-perfect couple. It disgust me so damn much. Even though I knew it all already, I just remain silent and acted as if I knew nothing. I too have things to talk to him but I gave him the chance since it’s been a while for us to hang like this. When he finished his stories, I was about to tell him about myself when he looked away from me and I saw his eyes sparkled. I stopped myself and looked behind me, curious what he was looking at so dreamily. And only God knows how much I regretted turning around. It was non-other than Hana, his lovely girlfriend sashaying her way to our table. When she arrived, she gave a flirty smile to Chen and a death glare towards me. What the f**k is her problem. She asked him who am I? I almost shouted if she was stupid or if her plastic surgery affected her brain cells more than I thought it already did. Who on earth didn’t know that I am his loyal best friend? I just kept silent and wait for Chen to reply her saying that I’m his bestfriend and throw her the ‘in-your-face’ look. Chen just smiled at her and the next thing that came out of his mouth broke my heart. I wasn’t expecting him saying that. At all. He said that I was ‘nobody important’ with a shrug, stand up, grab his Hana’s hand, and walked away without a word as if I never existed. I felt my eyes getting teary and I almost burst it right there. I looked down on my lap and determined that maybe this is the end of our friendship.

People says that heart break is something that is so painful, you wish you wouldn’t have to go through it. But for me, the pain of being forgotten by those who we love is worse than a mere heart break. Losing a lover, you can find a new one that is better. But a friend is someone you can’t ever replace. Yes we have many friends, but each and every one of them are different, whether based on their personalities, styles and including the memories we share together. I’m no philosopher but I know losing a friend make people feel way miserable. Since then on, I stopped texting him, talking to him and I even avoid taking the same path as him. It’s not that I hate him, just that I think my heart can’t bear seeing his face and I would get emotional and won’t stop crying. It took me a week to calm myself so I didn’t want to go back to stage one again. When I was better I just look out for him from afar. I still care for him even after all that, but to go and talk to him is something I can’t do. It’s been two weeks and he haven’t realized that I avoided him. It hurts me more but I wasn’t expecting anything. I knew where I stand and because of that I’m still haven’t talk to him again until now.

 

It had been three month after the day he said I was nobody important. I guess he had known I had ignored him especially when he texted me saying he would treat me for an ice-cream and I didn’t come or even bother replying. Everyone, especially him, know that I would never turn down ice-cream, but my heart is already freezing without the ice and I don’t think I can take it. Sometimes when we crossed path he would looked like he was desperate for an answer why was I ignoring him. But that was all he ever do. And to think that he might be affected from my cold shoulder. What a fool I am. He just text me but never try to meet me even at school. And we are neighbor for goodness sake. He had texted me he can’t meet up when he was still oblivious that I was avoiding him because he’s busy with Hana. He just made me feel worst. I felt like I’m just gonna be a second option after Hana. And I really mean ‘gonna be’ because there is no option. Just Hana. While I was ignoring him I heard more rumors that the couple became more lovingly. I was sad but I have to bear with it. The final is near and I need to ace it so that I can go abroad and run away from here. My poor heart is crying with unshed tears. So, I decided that I will ignore him more. As in I would not want to even look out for him any longer. He already have his girlfriend to hang out with.

When I’m determined to do something, I really do it. I acted like he never existed. I focus more on my studies and try to catch up with the things I lacked. I would do anything to go away, far away from here. We used to promise each other that we would apply for the same college which is just a one hour drive away from home. Even when he used to look like a nerd, he was never the brainy type. Because of him I even let go of my dream to study at Massachusetts so we could still easily hang out. Our parents even thought that maybe one day we might marry each other. But that is so not going to happen. Especially with this situation right now. I’m going to leave him without turning back just like how he turned his back on me. I’m going to start anew. I’m going to find a new best friend for starters. And I know being here won’t help much so that is why I’m more determined to go far away. And while I’m going far, I just thought ‘why not just go to US while I’m at it?’ so I really am trying hard to go there. I always have an interest in engineering so going to study engineering at USA is just perfect, a dream come true. And I know I have the qualification, it just that because of him I stop dreaming about it. Now that he is out of the picture, I’m going to catch up with my long forgotten dream.

 

The finals are finally over. I’m so relieved. My friends ask me to hang out with them but I refuse. I have something in mind that I need to let it out of my system. I remember our promise to eat a big sundae after the exam. We usually do it every year and each time he would treat me as a sign of gratitude for my tutoring. But this year, not even a second did I spend to teach him. We didn’t study together like we used to. Some people finally aware of our departure during study week. Everyone notice that there weren’t any whining in class, no stack of book piled into shapes in the library that can only be made by Chen when we’re studying. Even the librarian asked me because it’s her first time being relaxed during study week. To answer their question I just stated that he choose to study with his girlfriend because she needed to study more than him. And that is the truth. She is not the ‘beauty with brain type’, she is more like a bimbo if I must say so myself. And another truth is, that he really did study with her for the exam. Yes I said I didn’t want to care about him and I was doing a great job at it until I saw them laughing together at the café in front of the school with a few books on the table. Study much. I felt like capturing his attention just to show him how I rolled my eyes seeing them flirting studying. I wouldn’t be surprise if his result get worse. It is his fault for not studying correctly. I walk mindlessly thinking about Chen and finally notice that I’m at the ice-cream shop. I walk in there and buy myself the usual sundae I bought. I take a seat near the window and look outside while enjoying my sundae. My mind is hazy with thoughts. Doesn’t he miss our usual hang outs? Did the girl mean everything to him? The main thing is, why can’t I just forget about him? It’s not like he’s my lover. Just a best friend. A best friend that I spend most of my time with. A best friend that I share my secrets with. A best friend that always supports me even when he knew I’m wrong. Without realizing it, a tear rolled down my flushed cheeks. The memories burn my brain.

While eating my sundae, I have an urge to look to my left. My gut tell me to look there but I refuse. I feel like something bad might happen if I look. And my gut was right the moment I hear the laughter of a couple. The girl have an annoying high-pitched laugh and the boy have a husky, deep laugh that I know too well. I know who they are without even trying to hear more. Can I forget the laugh that I usually heard when we’re chit-chatting? The laugh when we’re joking together? The laugh that we share when trolling? Even if I try, I know I can’t. So know that he didn’t bring me here he brings this girl. What a pleasant surprise, Chen. And I thought this place was somewhat special like it have some sort of sentimental value. Again, I’m just a fool. I want to run but I don’t want him to notice me. I don’t want him to think that I still remember and do what we used to do. So, I waited until they finished. Good thing that they just eat an ice-cream cone and not a big sundae like mine. I wish time flies quickly. I want to know the result to my application to Massachusetts. I want to leave him. It is sad but what can I do. I know Chen means a lot to me. He was my guardian when my parents left me for business trip. He kept me company, made me happy. Even though he can’t cook, he tried and almost burn the kitchen. But at least we had fun. I miss the fun moment together with him. Did he still remember our moments? Or am I just too ‘nobody important’ to him? That word still burns until now. I hate it so much. I want to cry but I know better to not to. I might got labelled as a weirdo more than I already am right now. I look out the window and see his broad back walking away. Further and further without turning back. Not that I expects him to turn and notice me but, you know what I mean. “Good bye….best-friend,” and the tear that I tried to hold finally slip out of my eye.


Author's note

I don't hink I'm qualified to be called an author. Anyway..I was planning to make this story with only one chapter but it is too long so I'm gonna make it to at most 3 chapters. i hope you'll like it and please comment. I wanna know what you guys think and what I need to improve my writing. I hope you enjoy

beaker ^^