sweetheart shenanigans

Blacks And Pinks In Your Area

 

 

 

 

 

Cereal had always been intriguing to Kyungsoo. It was a simple breakfast meal, yet a highly regarded one. It even comes in different flavours and shapes, and goes surprisingly well with fruits. It brought a little flavour to Kyungsoo's otherwise bland mornings.

Mornings were always bleak for Kyungsoo. When his mother was alive, he'd wake up to jazz music playing through the house on their record player. He'd bound down the stairs to be greeted by a bumbling mother, singing any song that came with her high-pitched voice, with eggs sizzling in the pan, and pancakes already stacked up on a plate.

A kiss was left on his right cheek as he ate breakfast, and then he'd leave for school.

Now though, he woke up to silence. As he went down to the kitchen, the creaky stairs were the only music. His father would be at the dining table, eating his cereal. Kyungsoo would join, but they'd never say a word. He had never been close to his father, and his mother's death didn't change anything about that fact.

He'd eat quietly, almost meekly; the cornflakes and strawberries distracting him from the lack of noise. It was enough of a distraction, yet Kyungsoo’s ears could still pick up the sound of newspaper pages rustling as his father turned them.

He'd leave the house with no kisses on his cheek, just a meagre "Do well, son". It felt more formal than anything.

But when Kyungsoo reached his motorbike, a folded paper awaited him, tucked between the mirror and dials. He unfolded it, and in it would be written words that made up for any bleakness the morning offered.

Good morning. The sun is bright today, but you are always, always brighter. Smile more for me Black Hawk, and I'd smile more for you too. Frown, and I'd frown too. I love you.

-Jongin💕

And who was Kyungsoo to not smile? He definitely didn't want his boyfriend to ever be sad because of him, and the words honestly made him feel giddy, his toes curling underneath the loafers he was wearing.

He mounted on his Black Hawk, forgoing his helmet and drove to school, all the way with a smile on his face.

A tune played in his head as he headed there, one his mother usually sang in the mornings when waffles and pancakes weren't enough to bring a smile to Kyungsoo's face.

They say for every boy and girl
There's just one love in this whole world
And I know I've found mine
The heavenly touch of your embrace
Tells me no one could take your place
Ever in my heart








School was uneventful at most. Kyungsoo found himself getting more distracted by the secret messages Jongin was trying to convey through his eyes and smiles, and found himself almost getting caught one too many times. He averted his eyes every time Baekhyun so much as glanced at him, and smiled innocently when the other asked if anything was the matter.

His friend looked at him with a genuine gaze, truly worrying if Kyungsoo was alright. Kyungsoo wondered if that concern would vanish at the mere mention of dating a Flamingo.

"And listen, Seyoung tried to make her ex drink the tumbler of gutter water, but-"

Kyungsoo didn't bother listening to the story Sehun was telling. He always had something to tell, whether strange or not. A loose-lipped er was what people called him. Kyungsoo didn't mind though. Sehun kept the Panthers' secrets well, even if he couldn't keep other people's.

A girl passed by their table then, leaving a note with Kyungsoo's name written in black marker ink, underlined a thousand times. Kyungsoo reached for it, but Baekhyun was faster, grabbing the note and opening it even though Kyungsoo was clearly protesting.


"Meet me after school babe, let's not go to the diner today," Baekhyun read, his giggles heightening. Kyungsoo could feel blood draining from his face. It was just like Jongin to be as obvious as ever. "Ooh, does our Kyungsoo have a secret girlfriend?"

Kyungsoo snatched the paper away, huffing angrily. "You are incorrigible."

"Oh chill Soo, it's just some fun." Baekhyun replied, still grinning cheekily. "Who is it though? A girl we know?"

"It's no one."

"Seohyun? Soojung? Qian?" Baekhyun pressed on, not noticing how hard Kyungsoo was clutching the note by now. Chanyeol added names, supporting Baekhyun in his laments. Sehun, surprisingly doesn't say a word. "Wait. It's not Minseok, is it?"

Kyungsoo glanced at the Flamingo leader, the female in pink, with her cute red beret. "What if it is?"

Baekhyun stiffened. "Kyungsoo...anyone but her, please."

Kyungsoo almost wanted to laugh at how dramatic his friend was being. "It's not. Don't worry."

His friend heaved a sigh of relief, before continuing to name more girls. At that moment, he wondered what it would be like to just say that it was in fact, not a girl, but rather a boy. A male. He wondered what it would be like to just tell his friends that he was gay. Dating a male was something frowned upon. Female and male. Soft skin against rough palms. Lipstick against chapped lips. It was the norm, but it was almost laughable how being found out as gay wasn’t Kyungsoo’s main worry. Baekhyun would be sure to accept him still- even if he were gay- but dating a Flamingo? That was just destruction waiting to happen.


So every time the words came up on his tongue, it would always be swallowed down. Kyungsoo would be left sighing, never knowing what his friend's reaction would be. He glanced at Sehun beside him, who only smiled comfortingly. He knew how overbearing Baekhyun could get after all.

With comfort, came a tinkle of suspicion though, and Kyungsoo quickly looked away, glancing down at the note before looking Jongin's way. The Flamingo was ready, apparently, because he met Kyungsoo's eye readily, greasy wink immediately sent his way.

As sleazy as it was, Kyungsoo still felt himself blushing to his roots, looking away as soon as possible and trying to tune himself back in with the table's conversation. Baekhyun was still naming random girls, and at this point, Kyungsoo didn't even know half the girls mentioned.

"You sure know a lot of girls, playboy." Kyungsoo commented, as a way of distraction. And it worked. Baekhyun smirked, turning up the collars of his leather jacket. "What can I say? Girls can't resist the bad boy aesthetic."

They all groaned at that, and Kyungsoo looked at Jongin once more, winking back discreetly in the midst of disgusted disapprovals at Baekhyun's statement.

And perhaps he should have been more careful, because whether he felt them or not, there would always be eyes on him.







"Of Layla and Majnun." Jongin said slowly, staring at Kyungsoo's face in disbelief. "Another forbidden love story after another."

"It's very popular and the other writers wanted to write about them too," Kyungsoo replied. "Besides, I feel like I relate to that topic so much these days."

It wasn't meant to be a direct cut, but the both of them  fell silent at what Kyungsoo said. They were left in their own thoughts. Flamingoes and Panthers. Kyungsoo and Jongin. Where do they fit in?

"I want us to be able to be free to love as much as you do, Soo."

"I know." Kyungsoo sat beside Jongin on his bed, legs tucked around the other's waist. Their hands were intertwined and Kyungsoo let out a sigh. "We both want the same thing Jongin. I'm sure."

Jongin smiled. It was a small one, but it still made Kyungsoo do the same. They didn’t say a word, just let their eyes fall to their connected hands. It was therapeutic- how Jongin's thumb was circling the skin of Kyungsoo's hand. It felt like like he was being hypnotised, watching it go round and round.  

It made him think of how they first dated. Jongin spinning his car keys around his finger, round and round.

Kyungsoo and Jongin had known each other quite a bit by the time they got around to finally dating. One day it was secret kisses behind Bob's, and then another day- much like that day- it was hands clasped in front of a drive-in movie. Small town shenanigans was what Baekhyun called it, thinking it was below him to participate in these types of activities, so Kyungsoo had never gone at all.

"I still can't believe this is your first time." Jongin said, popcorn and cherry soda in hand.

"Never wanted to go alone, no matter how interested I was." Kyungsoo took a handful of the popcorn, popping them in his mouth one by one. They had strayed from the normal biker gang ensemble that day, and Kyungsoo was dressed in an oversized forest green sweater tucked into straight-lined black pants, tan suspenders going across his shoulders only on one side. Jongin on the other hand, had a plain white tee on, also tucked into high waisted khaki shorts. A pink cardigan draped over the whole outfit, oversized and fluffy.

Kyungsoo couldn't help his smile as he took in the star studs that replaced his usual smatter of earrings. The star was right at the helix, metallic and blue. It was pretty. Just like Jongin.

"I borrowed my sister's blush," Jongin had said earlier. "Do you think it fits me?"

Kyungsoo had been quiet for a long time, entranced by the beauty in front of him. Jongin had made effort in dressing up, just like Kyungsoo had, and it made him feel an explosion of love for the other. "You look absolutely beautiful."

Jongin grinned, looking down shyly, the blush only complementing the bashful gesture. "You look totally handsome too."

Looking up now, Kyungsoo could feel the same thundering heartbeats as he felt back then. His cheeks hurt from the amount of smiles he could produce when he was within range of Jongin, yet his lips would not falter. It stayed up, ever-grinning, ever-happy.

Jongin had chucked his pink jacket somewhere in the room, and the silver hoop earrings trailed from his helix down to his lobe. A gold stud was in between the hoops, and Kyungsoo carefully reached it, tracing it with his forefinger.

He could feel Jongin's eye on him, but neither of them say a thing. Kyungsoo's lips neared Jongin's ears, nibbling lightly, his lips clashing with metal. He leaned away to whisper, "My dad won't be home till midnight."

They exchanged a knowing look, before Jongin leaned up to kiss Kyungsoo right on the lips, swallowing his teasing laughs. They could feel each other's smiles when their lips met, and another bout of laughter bubbled up in Kyungsoo's throat.

"I love you," Jongin whispered. And Kyungsoo, in moments of lust and affection, agreed, letting out a soft moan. The sheets rustle slightly underneath them, and Kyungsoo let his fingers trail on Jongin's barely-there abs.

But if he thought about it again, he wished that sometimes those 'I love you's were enough. That sometimes he didn't want more than a love in hiding. If he couldn't even tell his friends, who exactly was he to tell?

It plagued Kyungsoo's mind every day, and he wished he could find a way to stop it.








Baekhyun was feeling down. Chanyeol glanced at Sehun who glanced at Kyungsoo, who was looking closely at the person in question, wondering where all these dark clouds were gathering from. Carefully, Kyungsoo tapped Baekhyun's hand, asking. "Are you alright?"

"No." Baekhyun murmured sadly, his eyes b with tears, much to the alarm of the others. "I have to join the stupid tutor's programme."

Kyungsoo closed his eyes, glad that the news wasn't that bad. "Peer tutoring?"

"Yeah," Baekhyun mumbled, then pointing towards a table at the corner of the cafeteria. "With that nerd."

Kyungsoo rolled his eyes, but looked all the same, Sehun and Chanyeol joining curiously. He couldn't make out the features clearly without his glasses, so ended up frowning cluelessly. It wasn't until Sehun laughed beside him that Kyungsoo looked back towards the table.

"Kim Jongdae?" Sehun asked, mirth dancing around his lips still. Chanyeol was joining in the cackling and Kyungsoo only tilted his head cluelessly.

"What's wrong with Jongdae?" Kyungsoo asked, and the three looked at him. "I think he's fine,"

"Do you even know who he is?" Sehun questioned, narrowing his eyes. It wasn't like Kyungsoo to know a lot of people after all.

"Yeah, I go to these-" Kyungsoo began but only stopped when he remembered that it was supposed to be his and Jongin's secret. He pressed his lips, shaking his head.

"These...?" Sehun prompted, waving his hand for Kyungsoo to continue. He swallowed thickly as Baekhyun's gaze focused on him, eyebrows furrowing.

"These nothing. Got into a project with him once." Kyungsoo quickly said, laughter strained even to his own ears. "He was fine to me."

"Are you kidding me? Jongdae is ruthless." Baekhyun whined, buying Kyungsoo's story thankfully. That was way too close. "Any other person would cower and listen if I said that I didn't want to come, but Jongdae isn't afraid of me."

"Well, at least you can improve your grade," Kyungsoo shrugged, and Sehun nodded, agreeing.

 

"Yeah, no offence Baekhyun, but your grades truly and madly and deeply ."

Baekhyun sighed, slumping into the palm of his hand. "Shut the up Oh Sehun. Now let me wallow in my misery."

"You mean stupidity," Sehun whispered, only to earn a whack in the side of his head. Kyungsoo thought it was well-deserved, but still rubbed the younger's head when he pouted.









Crickets sang quietly, Jongdae's voice taking it's place. His voice dominated the night. Jongdae had the kind of tone that was so unique- a rare gem; a jewel waiting to be polished. Kyungsoo tucked his legs against his body, head leaning on Jongin's shoulder. He was thankful to be one of the few people to hear it at least once in his lifetime. The school called him a prodigy, and Kyungsoo could finally see why. 'Wonderful Wonderful' was a song that needed strong vocals, yet Jongdae could sing it as easy as the breeze.

"Oh, so wonderful, my love," Jongdae ended the song soulfully, officially concluding their jam session. Yixing's fingers halted on the guitar and Seulgi clapped her hands happily, grinning when Jongdae bowed playfully.

Kyungsoo and Jongin too clapped their hands, and when the others began to pack up, Kyungsoo neared the talented singer, fidgeting with his fingers. "Hey Jongdae."

Amidst helping Yixing keep his guitar in the pick-up truck, Jongdae looked Kyungsoo's way, raising a brow. "Yeah?"

"You're tutoring my friend, uh, Baekhyun?"

"Yeah," Jongdae nodded, fixing the ribbon around his collar. "Why? You here to ask me to mark him as present even if he was absent?"

"No, no!" Kyungsoo rushed to disagree, looking away to Jongin who was talking to Seulgi, then back at Jongdae again. "It's about me and Jongin, and these jam sessions."

"What about them?" Jongdae inquired, now a little concerned even. His eyebrows furrow worriedly, and he patted Kyungsoo on the shoulder. "I'm always here to help man."

Kyungsoo sighed, zipping his leather jacket up and down. "Jongin and I are actually secretly dating." He said, gauging Jongdae's reaction. The other only widened his eyes slightly, but otherwise remained neutral. "And I'd really appreciate it if you didn't tell Baekhyun about us."

Jongdae hummed, nodding his head much to Kyungsoo's relief. "Yeah sure, no big deal."

Kyungsoo thanked him, grin a little too wide. Awkwardness ensued right after, and Kyungsoo thought of a way to walk away without being too rude.

"By the way, what did you think of my range for Wonderful Wonderful?" Jongdae asked after a while. Kyungsoo relaxed at the familiar topic, grateful for Jongdae's initiative.

“It was great Jongdae,” Kyungsoo replied, smiling as Jongdae’s eyes twinkled knowingly. “You’re amazing.”

Jongdae smirked, running his fingers through his hair, “Well, I am a prodigy.”

They laughed at that, but Kyungsoo still had a nagging thought in his mind. In a rush to let Jongdae know that Baekhyun should never be informed of these jam sessions, he had revealed his uality just like that. He clutched the other’s arm, worry making his voice notch higher. “You’re okay with it, right? Me and Jongin dating?”

“Me being okay with it shouldn’t even matter, but yeah, I am.” Jongdae said, ruffling Kyungsoo’s hair. “In fact, I think I can relate.” Kyungsoo was left gaping as Jongdae walked to the front of the truck.

He wasn’t alone. That was a nice thought.

"Hey Kyungsoo?" Jongdae called out just as the male was about to mount his bike. Jongdae scurried towards the Black Hawk, looking right at Jongin. "It's none of my business but you should tell your friend Baekhyun soon. Secrets like yours and Jongin's are never secrets for long."

Kyungsoo only glanced down at the ground- dark soil suddenly more interesting than whatever it was Jongdae had to say. The other walked away after waving towards Jongin, and Kyungsoo drove back home, Jongin's Skylark at his tail.


He just couldn't shake what Jongdae said no matter how hard he tried, and it made him frustrated. At himself. At Jongin. At Baekhyun.


The speed limit was about to be breached, the arrows in his dials moving too quickly to the right, but Kyungsoo ignored it. Jongin seemed to enjoy the challenge, honking at Kyungsoo. He laughed, revving louder and the sound filled the sky, probably going to irritate some neighbours but Kyungsoo could care less at the moment.

He needed to let go, and in a way he knew how. Driving over speed limits was something familiar, and as he sped through the roads, Kyungsoo could feel the stress slowly fading away. The night was his to seize.







Mornings passed by like they always do. Cereal, strawberries, a note, and his silent father. That day however, a cup of coffee was shoved in his hands, courtesy of Baekhyun. When he entered the halls, silver and blue posters were hung up everywhere, and he stopped right in front of the doors, shocked. Time flew by so quickly. He didn't realise it was that time already.

Jongin was there, at the locker right across his. Their eyes met, and Jongin tried to smile but Baekhyun blocked his vision, talking about the very topic Kyungsoo wanted to avoid.

"Who are you bringing to prom?" Everything was white noise, and those words seemed to be accentuated in his world. Kyungsoo slackened, his bag dropping on the floor with a loud 'thud'. Baekhyun stared at him in shock, and Jongin looked at him from just across. It was so tempting to just walk up to Jongin and say that Kyungsoo was bringing him to prom.

Instead, Kyungsoo sheepishly apologised, picking his bag up from the floor, accepting Baekhyun's teasing nudges as they turned the corner to class. The words on the poster taunted him the whole way, clinging onto his leather jacket, his gelled hair- pulling, trying to get him to answer it. The words were a mockery and Kyungsoo just couldn’t brush them away.

Who are YOU bringing to prom? it said, in bright lettering against a silver surface. Kyungsoo sighed, fiddling with the note Jongin had left on his motorbike just that morning. I love you Black Hawk. It should be cheesy and overused, but Kyungsoo still felt the same giddiness every time he saw it.

He stared at the words on the poster, Baekhyun's laments about being single unheard and ignored. He had only one person in his mind and heart. Their eyes could meet across the halls, and their lips could touch behind closed doors, but Kyungsoo wondered what would happen if he actually went to prom with Jongin.

Jongin in a tuxedo with matching bowties. He wondered what colour they would wear- pink? Purple? Blue? The silver lights hitting Jongin's face just right, making his piercings sparkle and his eyes twinkle; Kyungsoo could see it if he closed his eyes.

Going to prom with Jongin would be akin to a dream, and Kyungsoo really wanted it to come true, even if it was just for one night. He glanced at Baekhyun, before looking at the poster again.

Baekhyun be damned. He was going to bring Jongin to prom no matter what, and no one was going to stop him.






Hopefully.
 

 

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

 

a/n: hello new chapter my friends. i may or may not have fangirled about jongdae in the midst of this. and thank your for 100 sobs??? im shookth

btw no promises buttt i'll try and update this every week. comments are always appreciated! nonetheless, thank you for reading! till next time <3 

(also: part one of cbx, commence)