Someone from the past

CALM DOWN

“Yeah, it’s me.” He smiled brightly.

In that instant he hugged me tightly but I was still in shocked thus I break from his hug. It has been years since we last met and it feel rather awkward when Mark still acts like he used to. We are so close with each other, more like buddies; hugs, kisses on the cheeks, headlocks, back hugs and stuffs are more of a normal thing we did when we joke with each other because we’ve been best friends ever since college but something happens between us that makes me feel just not quite right to do so after few years we’re apart.

“What the hell are you trying to do? I haven’t seen you for ages and now you’re trying to break into my apartment? Have you been stalking me? Oh god please tell me that is so not true…” I started to panic and came up with ridiculous assumption. Mark just laugh it off.

“Ya..ya..calm down. Why would I wanna do all that? I’m not a psycho. I’m so sorry I thought that this was my door…” he paused and turns to look at the next door’s door number and checking on mine, then he smiled. – “Shoot. It was actually next door? I was so confident that this is my door, that’s why I got the password wrong.” He scratches the back of his neck while blushing in embarrassment.

“Wait…you live here?”

“Uhm ya…I just moved in.”

“Don’t tell me that you’re my neighbour now…”

“Well, seems like it…”

“How many times have you tried?”

“I’ve lost counts…”

“What?!”

“I’m so sorry.”

I try punching in password and to my surprise it doesn’t work. I even use my card key, still doesn’t work; even I tried re-setting the machine. Nothing. I am already annoyed and Mark looks concern, but the door seems to have become malfunction due to multiple time of password entering and probably the battery had gone weak.

“Ah great! Now I can’t even enter my apartment.” I let out a deep sigh and took a glance on my watch and it’s almost 11.00 p.m.

I could never get the landlord to open the door for me, not at this time of day. I don’t know who the heck to call or neither did I even know any locksmith or whoever that can help with this door trouble. Yoongi is busy working late night and I don’t want to disturb him just to ask if I can stay at his place. In addition to the miserable situation, my phone is dead as I was trying to check on my contacts of who I could possibly called.

“Ah, come on…now the battery is dead too?” sudden headache struck.

“Maybe you can stay over at my place while getting your phone charged? I’ll make it up to you…I’m so sorry once again.” Mark sincerely apologizes while making a puppy face.

“What other choices do I have huh? I had to be stuck with you while I can figure out the way to get my door opened.” I sighed.

“I’ll help you to figure out how. Let’s get inside, it’s getting cold out here.”

Mark entered his password and the door opens.

“Welcome to my place.” Mark ushers me in and helps with my coat. His place is very neat and fresh but since he had just moved in, there’s no furniture, only the dining table set in the kitchen area and are a lot of boxes stacked at the corner of the living room.

“When did you move in? I thought you’re still in LA?” I ask as I have a look around.

“I’ve just moved in last week, got my stuff in but I was at my parent’s the whole week so that’s why I’m kinda confused with the house number.”

“That’s not an excuse…”

“Hey…people make mistakes…”

“So…you got a job here?”

“Yup, going to start soon…” Mark smiled and I noticed he took the chance to analyse me all over. I turn and met his gaze, and in that instant he shyly smiled.

“Ya…Why are you looking at me like that?”

“You’re a lot more prettier now than the last time we met. You’re wearing a dress and even have make up on. If I could still recall you’re always wearing pants and t-shirts most of the time, and when you’ve changed like this, I just can’t believe my eyes.” He giggles as he teases.

“Ya, stop making fun of me. Yaaasshh…you too haven’t changed at all…always picking on me.” I hit his arm but he still can’t stop laughing.

“I’m sorry I don’t have much to offer and I still don’t have any sofa or chairs, only this dining table set. Please have a seat.” Mark pulls a chair for me.

“Thank you. It’s okay Mark, as long as I can charge my phone and figure out how to enter my apartment later, thanks to you.” I rolled my eyes making an annoyed face at him but he just smiled.

“I’m glad that we finally meet again after so many years but I do really feel bad that you’re stuck here with me.” He opened the fridge and took out two cans of soda and give one to me.

“Hey, lucky that it’s my place you tried to broke in, if it’s other neighbour’s apartment, I bet you must’ve been beaten up badly by now.”

“Ya, ya... I’m sorry okay.”

“Ugh…alright…”

“Hey, give me your phone so I can have it charged while we’re waiting.”

“Ah…I almost forgot.” I hand over the phone to him.

“It’s flat dead, might took an hour or so to charge isn’t?” plugs in the charger and connects to my phone.

“I guess…well it’s going to be a long night then.”

“Hey Jaehee, would you like to go out and have something to eat? I know you must’ve been hungry..”

“Yeah kinda. But most shops are closed by now…”

“There’s a place downtown that still opens if you wanna go. They have their best meat and stews.”

“Sounds great.”

-----------------------

 

Author’s POV

Yoongi’s composer and songwriter friends decided to have a drink to celebrate their collaboration on Suran’s new upcoming album. The five of them went downtown to have a drink but later on they got too drunk except for Yoongi as he decides not to drink too much. He calls for a taxi to send the three boys home and offers to send Suran himself as he’s worried of her safety.

“I can just grab a taxi…” Suran told him but she’s already half-drunk herself.

“No way I’m going to let you take a taxi home like this. Let me just send you home.” Yoongi wrap his arm around Suran’s waist to walk her to the car but instead Suran hugged him and wrapped her hands around Yoongi’s neck.

“I miss you, Yoongi.” Suran leans in and kissed Yoongi’s lips.

Yoongi paused. He didn’t return the kiss but instead pushed Suran away from him. His eyes were fix to a familiar figure he saw a few feet away across the road.

“Just get into the car.” Yoongi quickly opens the door and assist Suran inside and he gets in as well.

It was Jaehee and Mark walking side by side but Yoongi can’t quiet see Mark’s face as he is wearing his snapback low. Yoongi felt relieved that Jaehee didn’t saw Suran kissed him a moment ago and in that instant he took out his phone and try to dial Jaehee’s number, and to add up to his frustration, the operator answered it instead. Suran had already passed out at the passanger seat but Yoongi didn’t turn on the ignition yet just to have a look where the two of them heading.

*Who the hell is that?* Yoongi’s heart starts aching.

There’s a speeding car passed by and Mark managed to pull Jaehee closer to him. He hold Jaehee’s hand firmly and checked on her.

“Are you okay?” he asked after noticing Jaehee shut her eyes, coughing from the smoke that the car left.

“Uh…there’s something in my eyes…”

“Oh? Let me have a look.”

“No..no it’s okay.” Jaehee try to wipe off her eyes but it stings. – “Aaahh….” She whined.

“Stop being stubborn. Come here, open your eyes slowly.” Mark holds Jaehee’s chin, and blows at her eyes softly. – “Is that better?”

“A little…thank you.” Jaehee blushed slightly.

“Can you see me?” Mark jokes it out whilst waving his hands in front of her face.

“Come on…let’s go.” Jaehee walks ahead leaving Mark to chase after her.

Yoongi on the other hand who witnessed the scene, saw what happened but it was from Mark’s back view. He thought that Mark had kissed Jaehee when the two of them paused by the sidewalk, but actually Mark helped to blow the dust from Jaehee’s eyes. Jaehee had left to walk ahead after what he thought of a kissing scene between the two; that supports his theory and it makes him even more angrier. He felt sudden betrayal and didn’t expect that Jaehee could be cheating on him when they’re already engaged. With much anger, Yoongi drove off.

---------------

 

“Hi ahjumma, you’re still open?” Mark greets the stall owner as soon as they entered the tent.

“Hi Mark.. I haven’t seen you for a while..yes we are open as usual..please have a seat.” The lady politely assisted the two of them whilst wiping the table.

“Thank you.” Jaehee thanked her.

“I see you bring your girlfriend tonight…is it a special date?” the lady asked with a smile.

“Uh..no actually…” Jaehee tries to explain but Mark cuts off her words.

“Yeah, we came here to celebrate after a while…” Mark proudly informed whilst quickly interlacing his fingers with Jaehee and patted on the back of her palm. Jaehee tries to pull away her hand but Mark had a firm grip on her and she can’t do anything.

“That’s great..so what do you wish to have?”

“We’d like to have grilled meat set..and two soft drinks will do.” Mark sits down and dragged Jaehee to sit next to him.

“Okay, I’ll get that to your table soon.” the lady leans towards Mark and whispered, - “She’s pretty, you’re one lucky guy…” she smiled and then left.

“What did you just said? I’m not your girlfriend!” Jaehee snatched away her hand and partly whispering, worried that others might heard. She folds her arms and sit back pouting at Mark.

“Ahjumma often gives discounts to couples, you know. She even give desserts. ”

“I’m in a relationship…”

“But you’re not married yet right? So, I still can date you.”

“Mark…I’m engaged.”

“Engaged?” he looks at Jaehee frowning. – “Give me your left hand.” he demand.

“What? No!” Jaehee protested, hiding her hands inside the pockets of her coat.

“You better let me see it or I’ll kiss you here in public.” Mark threatened with a naughty smirk and started leaning towards Jaehee.

“Wait…stop! Fine!” Jaehee shows her hands to Mark.

“I didn’t see any rings on you and you expect me to believe it?”

“I’m someone’s fiancé.”

“You’re just saying that on purpose right?”

“Mark..come on…”

At the exact moment the lady came to set up the table with the griller and send in their drinks. Jaehee didn’t get to explain and Mark pretended that he didn’t hear what she had just said.

------------------

 

Meanwhile, Yoongi had reached Suran’s place and help to get her inside. He even lay her down on her bed and help to pull up the blanket, but before he get to leave, Suran grabs his wirst.

“Please stay with me. I miss you so much.” Suran begs.

“I have to leave.” Yoongi informed. He pulls his hands away from Suran’s grip and walks away but Suran gets off the bed and quickly hugged him from behind.

“Why are you acting this way? I thought you love me…I want you Yoongi.” Suran tightens her embrace.

“I don’t feel like it Suran. Let me go.” Yoongi sighed hard.

“No. I know you’re angry with her. I saw it too. She’s with that guy now, so you should stay here with me.”

Suran persuades Yoongi; kissing his neck whilst running her hands down to Yoongi’s abs and later to the rim of his belt, Yoongi stops her. He turns around to face her and she wraps her hands around his neck, she leans in and kissed Yoongi’s lips passionately. He wrapped his hands around her waist and she smiled against his lips; satisfied that Yoongi finally succumb to her.

“I know you want me too..” Suran whispers to Yoongi’s ear; kissing him again and drags him to the bed.

End of POV

-------------------

 

The lady served our food and Mark didn’t let me do the grilling, he insisted to do it for me. He didn’t talk much after I informed him that I was engaged and I know that he didn’t buy it.

“This is awkward.” I suddenly voice out.

“What? Do I look awkward grilling the meat?” Mark asked; pretending like nothing have been said before.

“Let me do it.” I try to get the conversation going.

“No. Just sit and wait.”

“Oh well…”

“You know what, I just missed the time we used to spend together. Do you still remember?”

“Yeah..I do. I missed that too.”

“Don’t you miss me?”

“Mark…”

“The meat are done now…let’s eat.”

-----------------

 

We head home after having supper. Luckily Mark bought a 9 volt square battery. I was in question on why did he bought it and have the thought that he might need it for his place later but actually he’s using it to get my door to work. He hold the battery up against the two small prongs on the exterior of the automated door and it gives the automated door lock enough juice for me to type in my code and get in.

“Finally!” I cheered and hugged Mark. – “Thank you.”

“You’re welcome.” Mark proudly smiled.

“How did you know this can work?”

“Well this once happened when I was at my friend’s apartment…so I remembered and try my luck and hey, it works.”

“So you knew how to fix it in the first place?”

“Kinda..”

“What?”

“Well I just pretended that I knew nothing so that I could go out and eat with you…” he giggles.

“You purposely did that?”

“Come on…if I didn’t do this you wouldn’t wanna go out with me right?”

“Good night Mark.” I get into my house close the door.

After a few moment, the doorbell rings and it was Mark, standing before me.

“Did you forget something?” he asked.

“Forget about what?” I am totally blank; and still angry with this guy.

“Don’t you want your phone back? What if your fiancé called?” he said sarcastically .

“Oh God…I seriously didn’t remember at all. Thank you.”

“You should be more careful and aware on things next time…this really worries me somehow on how forgetful you are.”

“I’ll be fine.”

“I guess I’ll see you around? Good night.” Mark left and entered his apartment.

“Good night…”

----------------------

 

Author’s POV

Jaehee woke up to realized that it was almost 7 in the morning; she checked her phone; no messages, no calls from Yoongi. It makes her feel weird somehow and decided to give him a call.Jaehee wondered why he had been dead silent since last night. He usually will send goodnight text or a wakeup call but none that Jaehee received.

Yoongi’s phone rings but he was in the bathroom and Suran answered it instead.

“Hello…”

“Hello, Yoongi is not available at the moment.” Suran answered.

“Wait, who are you?”Jaehee starting to feel annoyed, crushed and betrayed at the same time.Her heart wonders who could that be?

“Someone who he likes better, and definitely not you.”

“Ya! Where is he?”

Jaehee started to lose her temper, but luckily Yoongi noticed and quickly grabbed the phone from Suran’s hand and she just giggled.

“Hello, baby is that you?” Yoongi asked.

“Who the hell is that? Why did she answered your phone? Where are you?”

“Baby calm down. It was one of my producer friends here…they’re just joking around.”

“That doesn’t sound like a joke.”

“Trust me, it’s just them playing around. Don’t be mad okay, I’ll see you in a bit.”

“Fine.”

Jaehee hung up. Yoongi turns to look at Suran and she just smirked.

“What the hell were you thinking?” Yoongi gets annoyed as he's almost get caught red handed by Jaehee.

“I’m just telling her the truth…in fact, she cheated on you too right?”

“I don’t wanna talk about this okay.” Yoongi sat at the edge of the bed drying hiss head with the towel.

“You promised to marry me, but you proposed to her. Don’t you know how hurt I am right now?” Suran hugged Yoongi from behind and starts kissing his shoulder.

“I’ll fix everything soon.” Yoongi pushed Suran aside, stood up, putting on his clothes and grabs his stuff.

“You better fix it. You’re mine and I’m not sharing you with her.”

“I have to go.”

End of POV

------------------

 

A girl just answered Yoongi’s phone and he said it was his producers friend. All of his hyung and producers friends are male, none that I know was a female. Suddenly the image of that charm bracelet came to my mind.

*He really is cheating on me?*

I don’t want to think that he did because of the way he treated me, his love and affection, none of it showing that he’s not happy being with me. Suddenly the doorbell rings and it was Yoongi.

“Good morning baby.” He smiled and gives me a peck on my lips.

“Morning. Come in.”

“Baby, are you still mad at me?” Yoongi took off his jacket and sat at the sofa.

“How can I not be? You never had any female producer friends and that made me guess, who the hell is she?” I sat in a distance to him, still feeling angry.

“Where were you last night?” he suddenly asks.

“What?”

“I’m asking, where were you last night?”

“I’m out with an old friend, just because he made the door malfunction, he treated me for supper. How did you know I was out? Weren’t you in the studio?” his statement adds up to my curiosity.

“We went out to have a drink before starting on our work. I saw him kissing you.”

“What? Kissing? I have never kissed any other guy than you. How could you accused me like this? Now I'm the bad guy?”

“If he’s not kissing you then why did you both paused for a while by the side walk? I saw everything Jaehee.”

“He helped me to blow dust from my eyes…that's all.”

“And you think I believe that?” Yoongi smirked and rolls his eyes.

“How could you think I would kiss another guy when you’re the only one I love? You didn’t believe me don’t you?” I dragged Yoongi out and push the doorbell on Mark’s door.

“What are you doing?”

After a while, Mark opened the door with a half asleep face.

“Ahhh.. Jaehee?”

“Mark?”

“Yoongi hyung?”

-----------------------

Mark invited us in and it turns out that he knew Yoongi. I can’t believe that the world is so small and this two men right before me whom I have relationship with knew each other.

“Whoa hyung, it’s been years we haven’t met.” They both hugged each other. Mark leads us to have a sit at the dining table.

“Yeah, it’s been a while. Since when did you moved in?”

“A week ago…I got a job here, plus my sister is working here so I’m doing business with her.” Mark informed.

“That’s great. So, since when did you know Jaehee?”

“We met in college years, she’s a best friend and uhmm..”

“Yeah, we were best friend until now. Now you believe me?” I raised both eyebrows to Yoongi.

“Believe?” Mark looks confused.

“He saw us last night and he thought that you kissed me while you were helping me blow out the dust from my eyes. He didn’t believe me and thought I was cheating on him with you so now he gets to ask you himself.”

“So it’s just helping her with the dust in her eyes?” Yoongi asked Mark, he's still not satisfied with the answer he gets.

“Yeah, why would I want to kiss my best friend? I’d rather date another girl who’s way better than her.” Mark laughs it out.

“Ya…if it is so, go get yourself a girlfriend then.”

“Hey, come on. Yoongi hyung deserves to have you and hyung, you don’t have to worry, we’re bestfriend and I knew Jaehee more than five years. If I do have feelings for her, I have dated her long time ago.”

“Well I’m sorry that we have to disturb your Sunday morning for this.” Yoongi apologizes to Mark.

“Oh, it’s nothing. It is better for you to know the truth. Believe me, you’re one lucky guy to have her…she’s the nicest girl I ever knew.”

“I know that. We better get going. I’m sorry for having doubts on you.” Yoongi grabs my hand and drags me towards the door.

“Hyung, we should definitely hangout sometime.”

“Sure, why not.”

We left Mark’s apartment and head back to mine; as the door closed, Yoongi hugs me tight.

“Baby I’m so sorry…I’m so sorry for having doubts in you.”

“You should trust me. How are we going to get married if you’re still can’t put your trust in me?” I sighed; Yoongi held my face with both hands and looks into my eyes.

“Baby don’t say that.”

“I hope that we could be honest to each other and not keeping any secrets from now.” I told him.

“I love you.” Yoongi leans in and kissed me.

“I love you too.”