final

A Week in Hell

Warning: it's long

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

 

 

He hears Lu Han’s incessant knocking on the bathroom door as he goes back to facing the toilet bowl, stomach twisting and turning as he heaves again. He takes one look at the contents of his morning breakfast and throws up whatever is left in his stomach.

“Hurry up, we have to leave in the next hour if we want to avoid traffic,” he hears Lu Han calling from the other side of the door.

Minseok closes his eyes and sighs, feeling exhausted and drained from the morning sickness as well as not looking forward to the four hour car ride to his in-laws’ house. However, it’s not the car ride he’s dreading but the knowledge that he will be staying in the same house as Lu Han’s parents for the next five days.

When Minseok got his week off from work two days ago, he was not planning to spend it with them.

He stands up to wash out his mouth, rolling his eyes as Lu Han gives him one last reminder before walking away. He’s really not in the mood to deal with Lu Han right now either, especially after their fight about the impromptu trip. They’re both kind of annoyed with each other.

He throws on some comfortable sweatpants and a t-shirt large enough to cover his slowly growing bump, and heads downstairs toward the living room.

Lu Han takes one look at him and sighs. “I know you don’t like my parents but the least you can do is look presentable.”

Minseok shrugs, not wanting to cause another scene right before they leave, and slips into a pair of flip-flops. He’s not that far along in his pregnancy but his feet have already begun swelling, so he decides on comfort rather than fashion.

He then slips his hands into his pockets, turning to give Lu Han an impatient look. Their suitcases are sitting by the couch, so Lu Han just shakes his head and grabs them both. Minseok can hear his husband mumbling under his breath, and it irritates him further.

He doesn’t bother locking the front door as he takes his seat in the passenger side, reclining back and shutting his eyes so he won’t have to look at Lu Han’s face.  A few minutes later he hears Lu Han slamming close the driver’s side door and starting the car, all the while letting out indignant sighs. Minseok relishes in the fact that Lu Han is just as mad as he is and hopes it will somewhat ruin his time with his parents.

Okay, so maybe Minseok realizes he’s acting a bit childish about the whole situation. He knows he’s been acting extra sensitive and yelling at Lu Han for the littlest of things for the past few weeks, especially after he found out he was carrying.

But right now he blames it on the extra boost of baby hormones.

And also, Lu Han deserves it for making him stay at his parents’ house for five days.

Two hours into the drive, Minseok begins feeling car sick, or rather his morning sickness is kicking up again and he throws a hand over his mouth. He motions frantically for Lu Han to pull over on the highway so he doesn’t end up throwing up all over the dashboard of their car.

Lu Han watches his husband dry heaving over the patch of grass with repugnance, the act of vomiting always making him queasy as well. He looks away just in time before Minseok sprays all over, but the noises don’t sit too well with him either.

He just takes his seat behind the wheel again until Minseok is finished. As the shorter male enters the car, he asks, “Why have you been throwing up so much?”

Minseok chooses not to answer, instead closing his eyes once more and grabbing his stomach. He feels so weak. And Lu Han just feels even more annoyed at that, starting the car up again and continuing on their way.

Ok, so maybe Lu Han doesn’t exactly know that he’s going to be a father. After all, that’s what his week off was about. Telling Lu Han, having a large plate of greasy French fries every day, maybe even shacking up with his husband because the baby has made him really lately…

But since Lu Han ruined all of that now, he has decided to keep that small bit of information to himself until he apologizes.

***

Minseok doesn’t realize when they’ve reached the house until Lu Han is shaking him awake. He must’ve been really tired since he usually can never fall asleep in the car.

His eyes land on the large house—more like mansion—and he is instantly consumed with a feeling akin to dread. He takes a quick glance at the ignition, hoping for the car keys to still be dangling there so he can take them and make his way back home himself, but unfortunately Lu Han has already pocketed them.

He really doesn’t want to live through this week.

“Coming?” asks Lu Han as he grabs both suitcases and heads towards the front door.

Minseok notices how the servants immediately surround his husband, grabbing the bags for themselves and ushering him inside. It leaves a bitter taste in his mouth, seeing the privilege Lu Han grew up with, with his own eyes.

Minseok forces himself out of the car, closing the door and proceeding to stretch his sore muscles thoroughly. He’s taking as much time as he can to avoid stepping foot in that house, but he knows it’s about to happen any minute.

As he starts making his way, he already feels the tense atmosphere starting to swirl around him. He notices how no one comes rushing to him to take him inside, but he’s not surprised either.

“You’ve gotten so skinny,” Minseok can hear Mrs. Lu exclaiming to her son, her voice too high-pitched for his liking. “Is he not feeding you at home?”

It hasn’t even been a minute since Minseok arrived and that woman’s statement has already irked him.

“Minseok cooks amazing food. I barely find the time to eat it though,” he hears Lu Han responding back and Minseok feels his heart lighten at that.

“…did he come along? Where is he?” she asks, and Minseok decides its finally time to show his gorgeous face.

“Hi, Mrs. Lu,” he greets, forcing his body to bow in respect.

He then looks up and instantly sees the woman’s face darken.

“Oh, I was wondering if you got lost on your way in, dear,” she says in return, moving to pull Minseok in an awkward hug. “I know the place can seem quite large and daunting, something you might not be used to.”

Minseok pulls back, biting his tongue as he contorts his lips into what he hopes is a smile. Her perfume is applied on way too strong and his nose is burning from the scent.

“You seem to have gained some weight since I last saw you,” she says with a laugh. “I suppose you end up eating whatever my poor son doesn’t finish.”

Attacking my weight, how nice of you.

Minseok just continues to smile, although he wants nothing more than to tell the woman how her hair looks like a bird nest, how her crow’s feet is showing through her make-up, and how her thick perfume is clogging his nostrils and making him want to throw up all over her black dress.

“Anyways, baby,” she says, referring to Lu Han—of course—“I had the maids set up your old room. They’ll finish putting your stuff up so come join me in the dining room. I have your favorite foods set out and ready to eat.”

Minseok watches as she latches onto Lu Han’s arm, talking about how much she missed her son and how nice it is for him to come visit them. He then looks around, finding himself completely alone yet again, and sighs.

Five days. I can do this, he reassures himself as he follows behind the mother-son duo, making faces behind their backs all the while.

***

Minseok’s stomach rumbles embarrassingly as the delicious smells reach his nose. The large dining table is full of various dishes, and he almost salivates at the sight.

He takes a seat next to Lu Han, with Mrs. Lu sitting directly across from them.

Great, right in my line of vision.

The servants begin filling their plates, and Minseok can’t help but squeal internally. The food looks so good, and his baby is so hungry.

“Thank you, mom,” Lu Han says as he grabs his spoon. “I missed your cooking.”

“I’m sure you did. You probably haven’t eaten this well in months,” she replies, sending Minseok a quick but sardonic glance before starting on her own plate.

Aggravation creeps up Minseok’s neck, almost making him lose his appetite as he stares at her. The nerve—

“Aren’t you going to eat?” asks Lu Han, looking at him in question as the food remains untouched on Minseok’s plate.

“She probably poisoned my portion,” mumbles Minseok under his breath, but the way Lu Han’s jaw hardens, he realizes his husband probably heard that statement.

“Don’t bother then,” he says with a bite in his voice, returning back to the food before him.

Now Minseok really loses his appetite, and even though he knows he should still eat for the baby, his pride stops him from doing so. Also, he half-believes she probably did put something in his food, if not poison then something non-lethal like laxatives. Either way, he’d rather not take the chance.

“I’m not really hungry right now. I think I’ll go up and rest instead,” he says, pushing back his chair and excusing himself before any other snarky comments are directed his way.

He can feel the burn of both of their gazes on his back, and he doesn’t like how uncomfortable it makes him feel. He makes his way to Lu Han’s old room upstairs and lays back on the bed, staring at the beautiful designs on the ceiling.

His stomach groans like a dying man and Minseok places his hands over it, shushing it lowly.

“Daddy will feed you chocolates,” he says to the little fetus taking up rent in his belly. “You should be thankful I’m saving you from whatever your gran—”

He pauses, the word grandmother burning the tip of his tongue. He really doesn’t like the thought of that woman being his child’s grand-anything. For all he knows, she will probably hate it as much as she hates him, and he’d rather keep her from finding out anytime soon. Preferably until his kid is at least twenty years old or so.

Minseok keeps whispering little things to the baby until his eyelids become heavier, eventually closing as he slips off into a deep sleep.

***

He awakens slowly, eyes blinking rapidly as they adjust to the darkness of the room. The time piece on the bedside table flashes midnight, and he turns his head to locate Lu Han, who is usually occupying the other side of their bed, but tonight it remains empty. He feels a slight wave of disappointment, but quickly shakes it off as he gets out of bed.

He is incredibly hungry now and he’s craving a massive chocolate cake. And a chocolate brownie. And some chocolate donuts with chocolate sprinkles.

If he were back home, he would’ve just driven down to the grocery store and loaded up on all the goodies his heart desires, but instead he’s stuck in a house probably full of dark chocolate and stale cookies, bitter just like Lu Han’s mother’s heart.

He decides to go down to the kitchen anyways, seeing if his luck will help him in his desperate time of need tonight. He’s really counting on everyone being asleep so that he doesn’t have to talk to them.

He silently makes his way to the kitchen, but soon realizes there’s no need to be so quiet as the lights are on and maids are walking in and out. Minseok pauses, watching them carry trays of covered food and place them in various spaces around the massive kitchen space.

“What’s going on?” he asks one of them curiously, not knowing if he missed out on something while he was asleep.

“Oh, they’re just preparing the food for tomorrow’s party.”

Minseok closes his eyes as he hears Mrs. Lu coming up from behind, and prays for patience.

“What party?” he asks, turning around to meet her eyes.  

“Lu Han didn’t tell you? It’s our 30th wedding anniversary,” she says with a laugh that is anything but genuine. “A lot of people will be coming.”

“Congratulations,” is all Minseok replies with, choosing to give her a strained smile rather than say the actual words he knows will dig his grave just a little deeper. How did anyone put up with her for thirty years?

But then again, Mr. Lu isn’t the most welcoming and delightful man himself so they’re perfect for each other.

“Mrs. Lu, do you um,” Minseok feels kind of embarrassed for asking her where his husband is. “Do you know where Lu Han went? He isn’t in our room.”

“He went out with some of his friends. Since you were sleeping, I suggested he go out for the night and have some fun.”

“Oh, okay,” he says, looking at the woman’s almost mocking smile for a few seconds before turning away and heading back towards the bedroom. “I’ll just go back to sleep…”

Minseok hurries upstairs as irritation fills him once more. He plops down onto the king-size bed, still picturing Mrs. Lu’s sarcastic smile and then about Lu Han, who really makes his anger flare.

How could Lu Han leave him alone at home like this? How hard was it for Lu Han to wake him up and simply ask if he wanted to come along? While he stayed in their room, hungry and lonely all day, Lu Han decided to go out and hang out with friends. What was the point of bringing him along on this trip in the first place? He could’ve just sat at home, comfortable with a belly full of food instead of starving and frustrated.

He lays back down on the pillow, pulling the thick comforter over him as he mumbles and fusses around, trying to get comfortable. He ends up tossing and turning for three more hours, unable to fall asleep as he stares into the pitch black silence of the room. He sighs, the feeling of missing his home consuming him. His heart squeezes uncomfortably at the thought of being surrounded by people who clearly don’t want him around, and especially when he thinks about the party tomorrow and how he’s going to feel even worse amongst those high society people.

Minseok doesn’t realize how long he lays there, quietly thinking over things, until he hears the door click open. He turns to look, noticing Lu Han’s slim figure slipping into the room silently. He closes his eyes as Lu Han draws near and slips underneath the covers.

Minseok’s annoyed side debates whether he should ask Lu Han about his outing, while his tired side tells him to leave that conversation for tomorrow. He goes back and forth about it a few times until he eventually opens his mouth to talk.

“Where were you?”

The words sound colder than he expected, and he suddenly realizes just how upset he is with the whole thing, including the day’s events.

“You’re still awake?” Lu Han asks, surprised, as he turns to face his husband.

“Your mom said you went out with friends,” says Minseok, ignoring the question.

“Yeah, I haven’t seen them in months so we just went out for a few beers.”

“Meanwhile, you left me here at home.”

Lu Han squints at him, trying to make out his face in the darkness as he scoots closer, putting one arm around Minseok’s waist.

“Are you mad?” An exasperated sigh leaves Lu Han’s lips when Minseok pulls away. “Seriously?”

Minseok doesn’t answer. Instead, he turns to face away, his back now to Lu Han as he furrows his eyebrows together, not at all happy.

“You’re the one who came up here, snoring away like sleeping beauty. Every time I try to wake you up, you get mad. And the one time I let you sleep, you still get mad.”

“You could’ve just asked.”

“I didn’t think you’d want to go. Plus it was just a few beers, something you’ve sworn off now for some reason.”

“Still, you could’ve asked!” Minseok flips around again, facing Lu Han as he feels the bubble inside him burst. “You could’ve taken my feelings into consideration. I’ve been stuck in this room all day, I haven’t had anything to eat, and you left me to go hang out with your friends. Don’t you care that I didn’t eat today?”

“So what? You’re a grown man. You can feed yourself,” Lu Han replies, rubbing his hand over his face, as if this is the last thing he wants to deal with right now. “Plus, if you think my mom poisoned your food, that’s your problem. Figure it out yourself.”

“You don’t even care,” Minseok repeats, trying not to let Lu Han’s words hurt him, but the sting in his eyes say otherwise.

“Minseok, I’m really tired now. Can we discuss this tomorrow?”

Minseok wants to tell him that, no they can’t because he’s feeling really upset, and because his emotions are scattered all over the place, and his throat hurts from throwing up so much lately, and his craving are not being met, and he wants to cry from the injustice of it all. Especially because his husband doesn’t seem to give a crap that he’s carrying their child and feels insecure about being in the house where his in-laws hate him, and just everything in between.

But Minseok can’t bring himself to say it. He’s still mad at Lu Han, and he doesn’t want to tell the other such wonderful news when they’re at each other’s throats. He knows Lu Han doesn’t know yet, and that’s why he’s saying the hurtful things he is, but his husband should be a little more attentive to him anyway.

“Fine.”

With that, Minseok turns back around and shuts his eyes, hoping sleep will come fast.

***

As much as Minseok loves and cherishes the little baby growing inside him, right now he wishes he could just wring his stomach with his bare hands. The nausea woke him up super early, making him bend over the toilet bowl and dry heave since his stomach has been empty since yesterday.

His throat hurts and his head aches, and he feels dehydrated as hell. He feels weak and his skin is losing its color, and Minseok slumps down, resting his head on his arms as he closes his eyes in defeat. He remains on the bathroom floor until the queasy feeling passes.

When he lifts his head and goes to stand up, the room begins to spin. He feels guilt creep in because he hasn’t been drinking enough fluids, and he feels bad for putting his body through this, especially during this critical time in his pregnancy.

He slowly moves to wash his face before starting the long day ahead of him. He tries not to think about the party tonight because the mere thought of it just leaves him even more drained, and he just wants to crawl into bed and sleep through the next few days if possible.

When Minseok goes back out into the bedroom, he’s hit with the smell of pancakes and syrup. He immediately locates the source, a small breakfast tray placed upon the spot where Minseok was sleeping earlier.

“I made them just for you,” Lu Han says, smiling as he walks toward his husband and wrapping one arm around his waist. “I promise they’re safe.”

Minseok simply looks at him, not saying a word. He’s quiet as Lu Han guides him to the bed, letting Minseok adjust in the blanket as he holds the tray.

Once he’s settled, Lu Han sits down and begins to cuts a small piece, holding it out for Minseok to eat. The latter takes it into his mouth, chewing quietly as Lu Han sends him another soft smile.

“Minseok, listen. I’m sorr—”

Minseok suddenly bursts out crying, and Lu Han’s smile drops. He looks shocked and somewhat panicked as Minseok continues chewing while sobbing.

“What happened? Are they bad?” he asks, hovering over his crying husband and Minseok shakes his head.

“They’re…They’re…” Minseok says between sobs, gathering his breath as he looks at Lu Han with his wide, tear-filled eyes. “Chocolate!” And he breaks down again, realizing he probably looks insane while trying to scarf down more of the pancake as he cries, but he doesn’t care.

His mind is trying to process all of the emotions as they’re hitting him, but right now he’s just so happy he got his chocolate.

Lu Han is looking at him with a bewildered expression, probably concerned as to why his husband is crying while eating chocolate pancakes, but his face softens a bit as he continues watching Minseok.

“I’m sorry, Minseok,” he says after a while, reaching up and wiping away the tears with his thumb. “I didn’t realize how hungry you must’ve been.”

Minseok continues to sniffle his way through the rest of them, not meeting Lu Han’s eyes once he finishes. He looks down at the empty tray instead, feeling somewhat embarrassed of his outburst.

He definitely thinks I’m crazy now.

He feels Lu Han reach towards him, cupping his jaw and slowly lifting him to meet his gaze. It’s not mocking or derisive, and for that Minseok is thankful.

“Want me to make more?” he simply asks, rubbing his thumb over Minseok’s soft cheek.

The action has Minseok’s heart fluttering, but he contemplates the question and then shakes his head in response.

“No,” he says, deciding to scoot closer to the other male.

Whatever problems they are having, Minseok decides to put them on hold for now as he reaches around and pulls Lu Han into a hug. He rests his head against the other’s chest and Minseok feels happy for the first time in days.

He tries not to think about how weak he is for Lu Han’s attention like this. One plate of pancakes and he’s already convincing his mind to forget about their fight from last night.

Whatever. Minseok decides he’s just going to relish in the moment, and rip Lu Han a new one for leaving him later. And for making him stay at his parents’ house.

Later.

***

He’s fumbling with the buttons of his white collared shirt, realizing why Lu Han insisted on bringing their nice suits along. He just thought it was what they were expected to wear around his uppity in-laws, but the party tonight is a much more appropriate occasion.

Minseok finishes clasping his vest close, noticing how snugly it fits around his midsection. Luckily, his coat will cover the bulge and keep it hidden from the beady eyes of the guests.

“Ready?” he hears Lu Han ask, and Minseok turns to look at his husband, eyes trailing from the perfectly styled hair down to the polished leather shoes. His stomach flips from the rush of hormones, seeing the other dressed impeccably, and he doesn’t realize he’s staring until he hears Lu Han ask him again.

“Huh?” Minseok shakes his head, filing his R rated thoughts for later tonight and grabbing his coat. “Yeah, let’s go.”

“You look cute,” muses Lu Han, placing his arm around Minseok’s waist and the smaller blushes lightly.

“You don’t look so bad yourself,” he says in return, rather than saying what he’s really thinking. If I bend over now and let him take me, how many minutes late would we be?

He’s in the middle of his calculations when he suddenly notices they’re already downstairs and people are coming to greet them.

“Lu Han, dear,” says an overly caked woman with a mess of pearls hanging off her ears, leaning in to hug the male. “Long time no see,” she says, sending him a smile before a fleeting glance is sent Minseok’s way. “This must be the husband your mother talks so much about.”

I can’t imagine it’s anything good, thinks Minseok, taking note of the tone of her voice.

“The one and only,” replies Lu Han, pulling Minseok closer to his side with a smile. “How are things with you, Mrs. Jung?”

The two launch into a small discussion about something Minseok doesn’t care to pay attention to. Instead, he looks around the enormous living room, taking in the guests already present. He recognizes a few of them, remembering them from the previous times he had visited here, and he lets out a small groan.

He hates all of them.

His eyes then land on a particular couple who are busy conversing with Lu Han’s parents, and Minseok feels his breath being taken away. Especially at the sight of the tall, lanky male.

Why is he here?

Minseok notices the radiant smile on Lu Han’s mother’s face as she laughs at something the male says, and how Lu Han’s father is patting him on the shoulder gently. Disappointment and anger begin to fill him as he continues watching them, only breaking contact when Lu Han nudges him.

“Let’s go greet mom and dad,” he says, beginning to guide them in that direction.

Before Minseok can protest, he’s standing in front of the four, all eyes on him as he inches closer to Lu Han’s side.

“Lu Han!”

Minseok watches as his in-laws engulf their son in a hug. Pulling back, his father-in-law merely nods in his direction while Lu Han’s mother pulls him into a half hug as well.

“Hey, Lu,” says the tall male, grinning. “How have you been?”

“Sehun! I can’t believe you made it!” Lu Han says as he hugs Sehun—Minseok makes a face as that but quickly pulls back to neutral. “Wow, how have you been?”

“Good, good. Busy preparing last minute things for Sehun Jr.,” he says, referring to his very pregnant wife, who blushes and nudges him.

“We’re not naming him Sehun Jr. One of you is more than enough,” she says, making them all laugh while Minseok simply scowls. He doesn’t think the joke is that funny.

“Well, congratulations guys. This is such great news,” Lu Han says happily.

“I bet your parents are so happy to finally be getting a grandchild,” says Lu Han’s mother, sending Minseok one of her glances reserved solely for him. “Something about a man and woman creating a bundle of joy is so natural and right.”

The way she emphasizes the words leaves a sour taste in Minseok’s mouth.

“I’m sure you wouldn’t say that if—”

He stops himself before he finishes the sentence, knowing it would only make the moment awkward and uncomfortable for everyone.

--if Lu Han had ended up marrying Sehun.

Minseok is sure his in-law wouldn’t mind male pregnancies then, especially if their precious Sehun and Lu Han were to have a child together. But since it’s Lu Han and him now, the idea isn’t so appealing anymore.

“Minseok,” Sehun finally acknowledges his presence, reaching out to shake his hand. “How are you?”

“Doing well,” he says, taking the hand. “Congratulations on the baby.”

The way Sehun smiles back at his wife, and the way his in-laws beam at them as if they were the apple of their eye makes him feel even less a part of the family. Not that he was ever accepted to begin with, but just seeing how despite being married to Lu Han, Minseok still can’t take Sehun’s place in their hearts.

And when they cut their anniversary cake and make a toast out to their son, they don’t forget to congratulate Sehun once more, highlighting the male’s importance to them. They don’t call out to Minseok or even hold a conversation with him, but they don’t forget to make sure Sehun and his wife leave with an abundance of praises and gifts for their new family member.

Minseok sits alone at the table, focusing on his portion of cake as he hears whispers around him.

“Look at him sitting there with no one to talk to. He’s the one who broke up the engagement.”

“I don’t see his appeal. I don’t know how he trapped Lu Han, that poor boy.”

“No wonder the Lu’s don’t want to acknowledge him.”

Minseok tries not to let the statements get to him. After all, he expected this when he first learned of the party. He continues to pick at his cake. However, it’s when he hears a particular statement made by his very own in-laws that finally gets to him.

“I can’t help thinking how perfect Sehun and Lu Han would’ve been for each other, but that man had to ruin all of that. Now we’re stuck with him until Lu Han gets bored.”

Minseok feels tears sting his eyes, keeping his head down low until the laughter subsides. He wants to go up to them and give him a piece of their mind. He wants to clear his name, and yell to the world about how he didn’t steal Lu Han. His heart hurts because he honestly didn’t do anything wrong. He didn’t even know Lu Han was engaged until after it was all over.

He hears a few more insults hurled his way and Minseok decides he’s had enough for tonight. He locates Lu Han, walking up to his husband and tugging him away from his conversation.

“I want to go home,” he says, voice unusually high-pitched because he’s trying to stop himself from crying.

“Home? Minseok, we can’t—”

“Yes, we can!” he says, cutting him off and looking at him with wide eyes filled with unshed tears.

“It’s my parent’s anniversary. We can’t just leave in the middle of it.”

“I want to go home,” Minseok repeats, a single tear making its way down. He abruptly wipes it away, not wanting to draw in any more attention than he has already gotten tonight.

“Minnie,” Lu Han whispers, concern painting his features as he reaches up to cup Minseok’s cheek. “Why are you crying? What happened?”

In that moment, Minseok wants to tell Lu Han the truth. About how much it’s killing him to stand there and be the topic of everyone’s speculations, how he feels mentally exhausted being his parents’ punching bag, and how he feels completely and utterly alone in this house full of people.

But he also knows how happy Lu Han is to finally be back in his parents’ graces, and to feel their love once again after they had their falling out—all because he chose to marry someone outside his social class, someone who was not Oh Sehun like they had chosen.

“Nothing,” he chooses to finally say, deciding he would talk it out with Lu Han when they’re alone. Right now, he just wants to get the hell out of there. “I don’t feel very good, and I’m really homesick.”

“You’re lying to me,” Lu Han says, pulling Minseok closer to him. “Tell me what happened. Did my parents say anything?”

YES.

“No, I just feel really…” Minseok trails off, feeling his stomach flip as a bout of nausea courses through his body. He seriously doesn’t feel good. “Really—”

Minseok covers his mouth suddenly, the familiar feeling of morning sickness making its way up his throat. He turns away and begins walking to the nearest bathroom quickly, not wanting to throw up everywhere and make even more of a fool out of himself.

“Minnie!” he hears Lu Han calling with footsteps following him, but he speeds up, practically running off to make his escape.

He finds an unoccupied restroom, jumping inside and locking the door shut behind him as he staggers over to the toilet bowl, promptly releasing into it. The sound of his half-digested food hitting the water has him emptying his stomach over and over until it hurts. He lets out a groan, clutching his stomach as a series of knocks resound through the bathroom.

Baby?” calls Lu Han, knocking again but Minseok just wants him to go away.

But he also want Lu Han to be in the bathroom with him. But he doesn’t want him to see him in this state. Minseok feels tears sliding down his cheeks, he doesn’t know what he wants anymore. All he knows is that he feels horrible. His mind is a chaotic mess starting from seeing Sehun and his in-laws to hearing them say they’re waiting for Lu Han to move on from him, and then to throwing up everything he eats for days on end.

Minseok slumps to the floor and cries, sobs muffled by his palm as he scoots across the floor until his back hits the wall.

He just wants to go home. Is that too much to ask for?

Minseok feels like . Two days in and they’ve already managed to break him down. He thinks of the next three days and if he’ll even be alive at the end of it. After hearing their whispers and insults, Minseok feels insecure. He understands that he doesn’t fit into their society and he will never be the perfect son-in-law that they always wished for, but why must they tear him down like this? What did he ever do?

He thinks back to when he first met Lu Han, back in university when they were desk neighbors for about three months until one day Lu Han asked him to borrow a pen. The rest is history, and they ended up eloping a year later much to the disappointment of Lu Han’s parents, who were, at the time, busy preparing for his marriage to Sehun.

He remembers showing up to their house, marriage certificate in hand and ready to greet his new in-laws, only to be told never to show their faces again. In the beginning, he didn’t know why they were shunned immediately, but as Lu Han began explaining his situation and how he and Sehun were engaged since middle school, the light bulb in Minseok’s head went off, only to flicker and fuse when he realized what he had done.

It had taken him a long time to get over the fact that he had pretty much messed up Lu Han’s life, even if his husband insisted that he never cared for how he grew up or who his parents wanted him to marry. Lu Han would constantly reassure him that he never loved Sehun, and that he fell for Minseok from the moment they first talked, and that he is still in love with him.

But now, as Minseok closes his eyes and rests his head back on the wall, still ignoring Lu Han’s knocks from the other side, he can’t help the insecurity from creeping back in. What if Lu Han’s parents are waiting for them to break up because they already have someone else for him? What if Lu Han secretly regrets making the choices he made, and the reason he keeps forcing them to come to his parents’ house is so Minseok would get the hint and silently leave on his own?

What if Lu Han rejects their child when he finally tells him?

Minseok knows better than to overthink like this, but with his mind an emotional roller coaster and the whispers from earlier all swirling around, he can’t help it. He’s exhausted, mentally and physically. Just the thought of Lu Han leaving him alone to fend for himself is too much. He couldn’t imagine what he would do if that ever happened, but from the looks of it that’s where it seems to be heading.

All they seem to be doing lately is either fighting or flat out ignoring each other, and maybe Lu Han’s getting tired of it. Maybe he does want to leave him, and marry someone better and richer.

The bright lights in the bathroom are casting a hazy glow on his surroundings. Minseok feels his vision blur, head feeling as heavy as lead. Maybe it’s from all the stressing and crying, or maybe from his inadequate nutrition in the past couple of days, but darkness is beginning to narrow his sight.

The last thing he remembers before his head hits the ground rather hard and he’s knocked into unconsciousness is Lu Han’s concerned voice on the other side of the door.

***

When he comes to, Minseok slowly opens his eyes only to be greeted with the sight of a sideways toilet. His head is absolutely throbbing, and the bright lights in the bathroom are making it worse.

He takes a moment to glance at his wristwatch, noticing that he was probably out for about an hour, before using every ounce of his depleted strength to push himself off the floor. He staggers to the sink, looking at his disheveled appearance before washing his mouth and face.

His mind is numb, a steady buzz of nothingness aside for the epic pounding reverberating through his skull. He doesn’t know what to think. All he knows is that he passed out on the dirty bathroom floor, and woke up in the same way.

No one came after him. No one helped.

He situates himself, making himself appear as proper as he can before he’s opening the door and heading outside. He notices most of the guests still lingering around and the party still on-going, and he avoids everyone’s eyes.

He knows he probably stinks of vomit and he looks like the face of death, but he doesn’t care right now. His only mission is to find Lu Han and get the hell out of this place as soon as possible. He manages to locate him, chatting to a group of pretty girls and a few guys, and Minseok feels a hint of anger bubble up inside him.

He heads towards the group, a scowl on his face and a few choice words on his tongue, before he’s being pulled to a quiet hallway by a strong grip.

“Where are you going?” comes the high-pitched voice he’s grown to loathe.

He looks at Mrs. Lu sending him a glare, and he yanks his arm out of her grip.

“To my husband,” he replies with a bite in his voice. He’s not in the mood to be jerked around right now.

“Can’t you see he’s busy?” she whispers sharply. “Stay away from him. You’ve already done enough damage for tonight.”

“What damage have I caused?” he asks, anger crawling up the sides of his neck and blossoming on his face. His eyebrows are definitely furrowed and he knows he looks mad, and to add to that, the headache wracking his brain isn’t going away. “I can’t stand beside my own husband at this party?”

“You coming here in the first place was unnecessary. I told Lu Han to leave you at home, but that stupid boy insisted on bringing you along.”

“I would’ve gladly stayed at home!” Minseok blurts out defiantly.

“You are the most uncouth boy I’ve ever met. What did you do to my son that he won’t leave you alone? Even when he was banging on the bathroom door embarrassingly, I had to drag him away to save his reputation.”

“ your reputation!”

The immediate glare that crosses Mrs. Lu’s face lets Minseok know that he’s crossing a lot of lines, but the hatred built inside him doesn’t care enough to stop. His hand comes up to clutch at his stomach out of instinct, and he fails to see his mother-in-law’s sharp gaze now pointed at it.

“What do you want from me? I’ve never done anything bad to be treated like this by you,” says Minseok, eyes now stinging with hot tears threatening to stream down his face.

“Anything bad?” Mrs. Lu looks back up at him with a sarcastic laugh. “You dug your claws into my son and married him, despite knowing he was already someone else’s. Someone far better, proper, and reputable than you. And you have the nerve to show your face here again and again.”

The words hurt, Minseok’s not going to lie. But he chooses to stand his ground anyway.

“Lu Han and I married each other. He wanted to me just as much as I wanted him, and I’m sorry that’s so hard to get through your thick skull, but I don’t regret any of it.”

“Of course you don’t. You got yourself a rich, handsome fool who fails to see any of your gold digging ways. But I know how people like you work. You get a taste of money and you can’t get enough. You don’t care for my son, you only want his wealth.”

The words coming out are so absurd that Minseok wants to laugh. What is this old woman croaking about?

“I love Lu Han. I loved him before I knew who he was or what he came from, and I still love him knowing how elitist and prejudiced his parents are. I’m pregnant with his child, something we created out of our mutual love, and I didn’t do it out of love for money.”

At that, Mrs. Lu goes silent, eyes slightly widened, giving away her shock at the news.

“I come with him to this house knowing I will get nothing but hatred and nasty looks from you, but I do it because it makes him happy. I try to do everything for his happiness because it means more to me than anything in the world. It’s priceless, something you have no clue about. Everything to you comes with a dollar sign, and I am so glad I’m not a reputable, proper person because I would never want to be anything like you.”

“Minseok!”

Minseok turns around at the sound of his name, only to see Lu Han marching up to them with a frown.

“Lu Han—”

“I know you don’t like my parents very much, and I know I ruined your days off by bringing you here, but the least you can do is act more civilized.”

Minseok shuts up, clearly taken aback.

“We’re at a party honoring them, and this is what you say to my mother? Please Minseok, be mature for once.”

Minseok cannot believe what Lu Han’s saying. Why is he being scolded for something his mother started?

“Are you serious? How can you say that when she—”

“I don’t want to hear it. She has been nothing but nice to you, and she deserves better than this. I know things are still tense between you two, but I was hoping for some kind of progress. You don’t even try!”

“Lu Han, dear, maybe we should continue this after the party,” Mrs. Lu speaks up, glancing at Minseok with still wide eyes, not mocking like he would usually expect from her.

“No mom, I’m getting tired of this. It’s the same every time we come here,” Lu Han replies, facing Minseok. “Minseok, apologize to my mom.”

“I didn’t do anything wrong,” he says in return, a look of defiance on his features.

Apologize,” Lu Han says in a dead set tone, and Minseok feels his heart beginning to break.

“Really, it’s not a big deal,” Mrs. Lu says again, only to be ignored.

Minseok and Lu Han stare at each other. Minseok can’t believe Lu Han’s choosing his mother’s side, almost not recognizing the look on his face. He’s never seen his husband so angry, and even though he knows he could easily apologize and make things better, Minseok feels his heart ache at having to do that. Because he did nothing wrong, so why should he say sorry when it’s not his fault?

Minseok wants to say how rude his mother has been to him, and how Lu Han should be asking for an apology from her instead, but the look on Lu Han’s face breaks his heart. He knows the other won’t believe him.

Angry tears spring to his eyes, and he remains quiet as Lu Han’s jaw hardens.

“Nothing?” Lu Han asks, still glaring at Minseok. Upon the other’s silence, he bites out a firm “Fine” before taking his mother by the arm and walking away, leaving Minseok standing behind. “I don’t want to see you right now. Don’t come back to the party,” he calls before turning the corner, and Minseok finally feels his heart drop and shatter into a million pieces.

He stands frozen in his spot for what seems like forever, but when his body starts rewarming and his mind begins working again, he bolts from there and heads up to Lu Han’s room. He grabs his suitcase and begins stuffing his clothes into it. He retrieves his bathroom stuff, phone charger, shoes, and goes into the closet again to look for Lu Han’s pants. He shakes each one until a familiar jingle has him reaching in and pulling out the car keys.

After grabbing his wallet from the side table, he drags his suitcase out onto the balcony that also has stairs leading down so he wouldn’t have to go through the party to leave the place. He silently huffs as he pulls his suitcase along the garden leading to the garage.

Once inside his car, he starts the engine and doesn’t wait a second before pulling out and driving off the premises. His mind is absolutely cluttered with very little space left for rational thought. He hits the road dangerously fast and whips out his cell phone, dialing his best friend’s number.

A couple of rings and a voice is finally answering. “Hello? Minseok?”

The dam finally breaks and Minseok chokes back a sob.

“Baekhyun…”

***

Meanwhile, back at the party, Lu Han’s a mess himself.

After catching the end of whatever discussion Minseok and his mother were having, he felt irritated at how the two were always bickering. And after hearing Minseok tell off his mother like that, he lost it.

However, after seeing Minseok’s heartbroken expression after he told him to not show his face, Lu Han feels horrible, like really, really horrible. Horrible to the point where he sits alone at a table and avoids any conversation attempting to be made with him.

He notices his mom glancing over to him a few times with a concerned look, but he ignores her too. He knows he’s bringing the mood of the party way down to a depressing level, but he can’t help it. He’s mentally kicking himself over and over, scolding himself for being so unreasonable.

He knows his mother isn’t the easiest person to get along with, so maybe he shouldn’t have come down on Minseok like that. He looks around the party with a somber expression, disappointed in himself as he searches for any sign of Minseok, but he knows he won’t be showing up.

Lu Han decides that he’ll just try and make it up to his husband once all the guests have left. He figures he’ll need at least a few boxes of chocolate to help him, seeing as how much his husband has been devouring the sweet candy lately.

“Son…” he hears his mother softly call, and he turns to face her.

“Not right now, mom.”

She takes a seat in front of him anyway. “Are you okay?”

Lu Han shakes his head back and forth, bangs falling into his eyes as he feels them glossing over with tears. “You still hate him, don’t you?”

His mother remains quiet, only reaching out to pat her son’s back warmly.

“Why?” he asks, looking down at the empty table in front of him.

“He took you from us.”

“How? I haven’t gone anywhere. I’m sitting right here next to you.”

His mother sighs. “He’s not the person we wanted for you. Sehun was—”

“Sehun and I never wanted to marry,” he says, sitting straight and looking up at her again. “You guys decided this all on your own, and left me and Sehun to deal with it. He had his girlfriend who he loves very much, and I just wanted to be with someone who made me feel special and happy.”

His mother doesn’t say anything, and Lu Han continues.

“And Minseok…he makes me really happy, mom,” Lu Han says, a tear making its way down. He thinks back to all the fighting that they have been doing lately and he feels his heart ache with guilt. “Really happy.”

He suddenly wants to march up to their bedroom, find Minseok, and pull him into a long kiss. His body is trembling with guilt, despair, and disappointment, and he wants to make it all up to the love of his life. He’ll even beg on his knees if he has to.

“I love him so much,” Lu Han says, standing up to head upstairs. He doesn’t care for anyone or anything else right now, he just wants Minseok and to see his gummy smile again.

However, a vibrating buzz in his pocket alerts him to a phone call, and he pulls it out only to scrunch up his eyebrows in confusion. “Baekhyun? Why are you calling me?”

Lu Han! Thank god you picked up! Where have you been?”

Lu Han notes the five missed called from Baekhyun, and is even more confused. “I’m at my paren—”

It doesn’t matter right now. You need to go find Minseok!”

Lu Han immediately feels a sense of dread consume him. “Minseok? What’s wrong with him?”

We were talking on the phone ten minutes ago and all of a sudden the call went dead. You need to go find him! I think he might’ve gotten into an accident.”

Lu Han gasps, his mind connecting with the rest of his body before he’s taking up the stairs. He flings open the door to his room, only to find it empty.

“Baekhyun, where is he?!” he asks frantically, searching the bathroom and closet for any signs of his husband.

He was driving back home, you ! You guys had a fight and he was so upset, so he took the car and left. Get your on the road and find him!

Baekhyun ends the call and Lu Han fills with panic, deciding to head downstairs to the garage all the while trying Minseok’s number, but with zero response.

His mind is running a mile a minute, distress making him appear like a crazed animal. If anything happened to Minseok…

“Lu Han, what’s wrong? Where are you going?” his mother asks, trying to grab ahold of her panicking son.

“It’s Minseok—” he trails off, escaping her and heading to where the garage is located. “He’s…I think—I need to go find him!”

His mother follows closely behind, paying no mind to the guests who are staring at them.

Lu Han gets to the cars, grabbing a key off the holder and hopping inside.

“Wait,” his mom says, opening the passenger seat and strapping herself in. “I’ll come with you.”

“It’s okay, you don’t have to,” reassures Lu Han, mind only focusing on one goal at the moment.

“I want to, now drive.”

They set off, darkness covering the dimly lit roads, and Lu Han can’t press on the gas pedal hard enough.

“You need to slow down, Lu Han. It wouldn’t be good if we hydroplaned somewhere. The ditches around here are deep.”

That only stresses him out further as he pictures Minseok’s car crashed into a ditch somewhere, his husband unresponsive and—

“We’ll find him,” Mrs. Lu says, taking her son’s hand into his and squeezing warmly. “Just concentrate.”

They drive for half an hour, no signs of Minseok anywhere. This is the only road that they take to go back home, so he has to be somewhere along. He continuously tries Minseok’s cell phone, only for the operator to tell him the phone’s been shut off.

He throws up a silent wish to whoever is listening, for Minseok to be safe and back in his arms very soon.

Did you find him?” comes Baekhyun’s voice loud and clear through his phone, “I swear if anything happened to Minseok or the baby I will end you, Lu!”

The baby?

However, before Lu Han can dwell on the thought for long, he sees a light flashing up ahead and he guns his car to the spot. He notices a tow truck backing up, and he turns off his car and jumps out.

“Excuse me?” he asks, walking up to the man in the truck. “Did you happen to see—”

“Lu Han?” calls a soft voice from behind, and he whips around to acknowledge the source.

Lu Han feels ten years added to his life and a strong sigh of relief escapes his mouth as he notices Minseok, standing up from his spot on the side of the road. His husband looks slightly scared and a little disheveled, but otherwise he looks fine.

“Lu—oomph—”

Lu Han bear tackles Minseok, squeezing him as tight as he can. He feels all the stress melt off and his heart is pounding loudly in his ears. “You’re okay,” he mumbles into Minseok’s neck, before pulling back to inspect more carefully.

“I’m fine…” Minseok trails off as he watches Lu Han turn him this way and that, raising his arms and almost lifting his shirt to check for bruises before he’s stopping the other male. “I-I’m okay,” he blushes slightly, “I was about to call you from the truck guy’s phone. Mine cracked during the impact.”

He feels Lu Han engulf him in his arms again, and Minseok melts into the hug, pulling him closer as well. All the previous anger has long been dissipated, especially after his car slid off into a ditch and the shock of it jerked him out of his pity party. At that point, all he cared about was the baby’s health and wanting Lu Han to come get him.

The slide wasn’t too bad, just that the side wheels of his car caught the edge and ran him straight off the road. The airbag protected him the best, but it didn’t stop his phone from flying.

“Don’t ever leave like that again,” Lu Han says into the crook of his neck, “Just—please. I’m so sorry, don’t ever leave like that. I was so scared.”

“Lu Han, it’s okay. I’m okay,” he reassures, rubbing his back gently. “And, I’m sorry too.”

Lu Han pulls back to look at him. “No, don’t apologize. You have nothing to apologize for. It’s all my fault. I shouldn’t have said those things and I regret it so much. I’m…”

Before Lu Han can finish, Minseok presses their lips together softly, showing Lu Han that he’s completely and unequivocally forgiven for everything. Honestly, he doesn’t even care anymore. He just wants to go home and snuggle up to Lu Han on their couch.

“Minseok?” comes the same high-pitched voice, and the shorter breaks off from Lu Han’s lips to face the woman. He doesn’t have any fight left in him, and he stands quietly, waiting for her to say her piece and leave. “A-Are you okay?” she asks in a voice Minseok has never heard her use before. It’s awkwardly gentle and Minseok doesn’t know how to respond.

“He’s fine, mom. Just a little shaken up,” replies Lu Han on his behalf, deciding Minseok doesn’t have to speak to her if he doesn’t want to. Maybe he’ll try and get them to bond again one day, but for tonight it’s enough.

A shrill ringtone effectively cuts through the quiet night air, and Lu Han reaches to answer it.

Did you find him?! Is he okay? I’m gonna cut your balls off if you haven’t found him yet, I swear to God—”

“He’s okay, Baek,” Lu Han sighs, handing the phone over to his husband. “Talk to him.”

Minseok takes the phone, timidly answering questions as Lu Han pulls him closer to his side, watching the tow truck retrieve their car from the ditch. At one point, a few answers catch his attention and he begins listening in on the conversation.

“Yes, I’m okay…it’s okay too. Yes, I didn’t bump it. No, I don’t need a check-up…okay fine, I’ll get a check-up, happy?”

Minseok talks for a few more minutes before hanging up. He looks to Lu Han, who watches him for a few seconds before blurting out, “Are you pregnant?”

Minseok looks up, baffled but with a small blush creeping up his neck, as he tries to form words. “Um, well you see…uh—”

“Baby,” Lu Han says, cupping one of Minseok’s cheeks as he holds his steady gaze. “Are you pregnant?”

Minseok can only nod in response, feeling a small ounce of guilt for not telling Lu Han when he first found out.

So that’s what Baekhyun meant by “baby”.

“All those times you were throwing up, it wasn’t because you were sick?”

Minseok shakes his head, lowering it slightly because he can’t meet Lu Han’s eyes right now. He feels really bad.

“Minseok look at me,” he says, nudging the shorter male with his palm now dropping to the back of his neck.

Minseok slowly looks up, holding Lu Han’s gaze before glancing back down. “I-I’m sorry, Lu Han.”

“About what?”

“For not telling you. I wanted to, I really did, but we’ve been arguing so much lately and,” he looks up with tears in his eyes. “I didn’t know how to say it. I wasn’t even sure if you wanted to hear it.”

“How could I not want to hear something like that, Minnie?” says Lu Han, reaching to wipe Minseok’s tear with his thumb. “That’s…the best news I have ever gotten, besides the time you said yes to my proposal. But—wow,” Lu Han laughs all of sudden. “We’re going to be parents? Like, really? We’re having a baby?”

Minseok manages a small smile, nodding his head once more before pulled into another hug.

“Thank you, thank you, thank you,” Lu Han whispers into his hair as the taller presses numerous kisses.

“I’m guessing you’re happy?” Minseok says, now smiling openly as the taller picks him up and spins him once.

Lu Han bobs his head up and down like an excited puppy. “Yes. Yes, so very happy. I’m so happy, Minseok. You’ve made me the happiest person alive, right now.” Minseok laughs as Lu Han takes his hand and presses it against his small belly. “That’s my baby.”

Our baby,” Minseok says, before closing his eyes as Lu Han kisses him full on the mouth, not parting until he’s pressed half a dozen more.

“Um,” Mrs. Lu says, still standing and watching the happy couple having their moment.

The two break apart, realizing she’s still there. They turn to her, giving her their full attention.

“You two are having a baby,” she repeats the obvious, and Lu Han laces his fingers with Minseok. “I…”

Mrs. Lu trails off, not knowing how to say the words she’s been rehearsing for the past hour. Ever since Minseok told her about his pregnancy, it jolted her awake as if she had been sleeping. Well, she had been sleeping, on them.

Until now, Minseok has been the person who came storming into their perfectly good lives and left behind a wreck. He was the one who broke apart a long standing engagement, took their son away from them, and they were forced to face the consequences as society began ridiculing them for the way their son had “turned out”. So they put all the blame on Minseok, the outsider, because their son would never do something like that intentionally.

But as Mrs. Lu watched Lu Han so distraught over the thought of his husband hurt, their reunion, and the moment he found out he was going to be a dad, she saw something that she had never seen before. The glowing happiness that radiated from her son came and smacked her in the face. She realized she had been seeing it all wrong, and she had gone about the whole situation horribly.

Minseok made Lu Han happy. Her son genuinely smiled every time he was around him, he eagerly mentioned Minseok constantly, and she realized Lu Han could never be apart from him. And what she had been doing all along was trying to separate them, trying to take his happiness away.

She wasn’t a mother, she was a monster.

“Congratulations,” she finally says, letting out a sigh she didn’t realize she was holding.

When Lu Han smiles brightly at her, eyes turning into crescents, she knows she has chosen the right words. She smiles back, a little skip in her heart beat because maybe, just maybe she could have some of that happiness too. Her baby was having a baby, why shouldn’t she be happy for him?

She notices a hint of a smile on Minseok’s lips as well, and decides she would take it for now. She has a long way to go to make it up to Minseok, and tonight she has taken the first step. Perhaps one day Minseok would forgive her completely.

“Want to go home?” Lu Han asks after the tow truck drives off. Their car isn’t in bad shape. Just a minor dent in the front and some dust layering on top, but otherwise completely functional.

Minseok is silent in thought, carefully looking between his husband and his mother-in-law before answering.

“We still have three more days before we go home,” he smiles slightly, not completely forgiving the woman but at the same time, deciding to go a different route this time.

Perhaps one day he can get along with his in-laws, and the word grandparents won’t mean such a bad thing. After all, their baby deserves to be happy, and with a loving family, that’s exactly what he or she will be.

 

 

 

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
a/n - awwww you guys made it? how was it? i had work three days in a row this week, and it was absolutely exhausting so it took me a bit to edit this 11.0k beast, but i hope you guys liked it :3 thank youuu (and don't be too mad at luhan, minseok, and the monster-in-law, they all made mistakes and will try to rectify them from here on out :] )