Ch 2

Bright Emersion
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

“I saw you working and I didn’t want to disturb you, but I thought I’d wait around.. how are you?”

 

“I’m good,” I reply, huddling under the canopy at the front of the store, “you?”

 

“Alright,” he looked around somewhat uneasy, “listen, did this bother you? I mean, I texted you, your reply was a bit short, and I didn’t want to bother you again, but when I saw you today giggling at books, I just thought you looked cute so I decided to wait, but if you think this is weird I’ll leave you alone.”

 

“No no no, I… ok, the day we met, the night you texted me? I had a really tough time, I had to have a big conversation with my parents about money - I’ve blown through my savings and they have been lending me money, but they can’t stretch themselves further, and I spent most of that afternoon crying. I didn’t mean to be rude by text, or to seem uninterested… it was just bad timing,” I explain myself and hope that I didn’t turn him off with my sorry story.

 

“Ah, here I was thinking you were brushing me off,” he winces because of a particular strong gust of wind.

 

“Not at all,” I say through my chattering teeth.

 

“I’m dying here. I have to get to my car or I’ll freeze. Want a ride home?,” he points towards the street.

 

“I live sort of far, near the west side of campus, you probably don’t want to go that far off?,” even if I have no idea where he lives, I just don’t like imposing on people.

 

“You’ll freeze off into an icicle if you walk and then you won’t thaw out until summer, come on, let’s go,” he smiles and shuffles on his feet to get some warmth on his legs.

 

I hesitate for a second but the thought of a warm car for even a minute against a 30 minute battle against the wind is no competition, really. I follow him to his small car, and he opens the door for me like a true gentleman, making me giggle.

 

“What?,” he asks.

 

“No one ever opens doors for me, that’s all,” I say as I sit inside.

 

He comes around to the driver side and turns the engine on so warmth can be generated.

 

“Where to?”

 

I give him my address and we set off, reaching my house in under 10 minutes.

 

“Thank you so much for the ride, I owe you twice now - once for breakfast, and now this!”

 

“Not really. It’s all good.”

 

“Come up for a cup of coffee? Tea?,” I say hoping it will redeem my abuse of his generosity.

 

“Nah, it’s late and I should get home and have dinner…”

 

“Ok,” I say in a low voice. It’s not like I wanted to bring him inside to jump on him, but I’m afraid it may have come out that way.

 

“But tell me… about this owing me thing… how big is your employee discount? I’m a poor English Lit researcher on a budget!”

 

I laugh out loud at his suggestion. “Not very big, but maybe enough to make up for the breakfast thing?”

 

“Ok, then I’ll visit you at the bookstore more often!,” he smiles so wide that the cutest little pointy canines are visible. His eyes almost close all the way when he smiles, which is adorable.

 

“I’ll see you then. Thanks for the ride, again.”

 

“Don’t mention it,” he breathes deeply, “have a good night, ok?”

 

“You too.”

 

I step outside feeling the bite of the wind in my cheeks and grab my keys from my coat pocket, heading towards the steps on my doorstep. I turn around and see him still there, car running, looking at me. As I open the door and turn to look at him again, I see him set the car in gear and drive off.

 

---

 

Managing my schedule of classes and work has got me running crazy through town and campus, but on the upside, it means I have no time to spend money on anything other than rent and food - sometimes. I must admit I have skipped some meals. Not the best thing to do when you’re so busy since you need your energy.

 

On this particular Saturday I’m headed to the stores to stock up on some groceries, fruit, cereal bars, and anything I can eat on the go. I’m listening to music on my iPod, set to my favorite playlist for uplifting anthems, which is why I don’t notice the arm that grabs me as I’m about to cross the road.

 

“You’re really in your own world, huh?”

 

“Sehun, oh my god, you nearly gave me a heart attack!”

 

“Not my intention, I promise,” he adjusts the strap of his messenger bag and takes gloves out of a pocket. 

 

“What are you doing around here?,” I ask as I shiver. Standing in the freezing cold is not my idea of fun.

 

“Groceries, you?”

 

“Same.”

 

“Mind if I tag along?,” he asks, tilting his head sideways while I fumble with my iPod to turn it off.

 

“Absolutely not, let’s get moving,” I motion to continue my stroll, and then think clearly for a second, “wait, why are you suffering with the pedestrians? You have a car!”

 

“Parking in town at the weekend? No way I’m wasting my time like that!”

 

I can’t help but agree with him. We walk the small hill to the supermarket, talking about his research for his paper, and me whining about the dry hands I’ve been getting from handling so much paper at the store. When we reach the supermarket, I grab a basket but he has a better idea as he places two baskets inside one trolley.

 

“That is what I call resourceful,” I laugh.

 

He pushes the trolley as we make our way through the aisles, me with my list, and he grabs a couple of things.

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter