fin.

Regret

She watched him as he sat down at the corner of the coffee shop. That man had not noticed that he was being watched, by this one specific lady better known as his ex. She knew, it was his morning coffee and had to be caramel macchiato. That watch on his wrist was his brother’s gift when he turned 18. That book he just put on the table, had to be the book he waited for over a year, he told her once that he loves the author.

Of course she was still remember everything about him. It’s been 4 years since they broke up, she broke him to be precise. Yet she was so sure that even after a decade, she’d still remember everything clearly from their first encounter to his familiar scent he left behind in their last one.

Their first kiss under the bright sky of August in front of her house, when he walked her home right after he confessed his feeling to her. Their first date in this very place, they chose the table near the window, talking about what they want to do on their hundredth dates, which obviously never happened.

But she broke him. Right before he flew to England to pursue his dream as a journalist. Not even once he called her, not even once he asked her to meet, while she was dying to call him, to meet him, to apologize for everything she said at the airport.

She was busy debating to herself whether or not she should talk to him today when he caught her eyes. Her poor heart did a somersault inside, while she was trying to regain her composure. He gave her that smile she missed the most. And by then she knew she should talk to him, about their not so good history. She moved her things on the table to her bag, took the remaining coffee she had and walked to his table.

She only had three steps before she stopped right there and then.

While she was busy with her things, she missed the clinking sound of the doorbell. That damn door revealed a lady around her age who walked right to his table.

He smiled, and kissed her, not too long but enough to make her heart stopped for a while.

Everything she wanted to say was disappear into the cold air of December.

She continued her steps anyway, right to the door. Leaving her past behind, and tried her best not to look back for the last time.

☕☕☕