001 | Gyraskie

NU'Heights

               Since being kidnapped aboard the sky pirate ship the NU'EST, you had learnt very little about each of the crew; it was not from lack of trying. You ate meals with them all, you made conversation with them but they were all very cautious with exactly what they revealed to you. None of them spoke of their past or their family and they did not even discuss their relationship with one another. Had they been friends prior to becoming part of the crew? How had the NU'EST become a sky pirate ship? More to the point-what exactly did they pirate? Because they definitely were not the pillaging type of crew. After a week of trying to investigate the background of the NU'EST, you had unearthed the bare minimum. You were unsatisfied and honestly, a little frustrated.
               JR tended to keep himself refined to his cabin, Ren and Minhyun being the only people who frequently checked in on him; you deduced it was probably for navigating information and any orders to ensure there was not a mutiny. You did wonder what JR spent all his time doing in that small cabin but had yet to muster the courage to find out. He was after all the Captain. The last thing you wanted to do was aggravate him with question after question and get thrown overboard...although upon further contemplating, you could not imagine JR ever doing that to you. You were in debt to him after his kind gesture of helping you find your parents. Surely if he had been a ruthless pirate, he would not have offered to aid you.
               Aron spent most of his time in the kitchen...or trapped in the store room because he had forgotten the key and the rocking of the ship in the sky had swung the door shut again. Even Minhyun's lecturing about how he should carry his keys on his belt at all times or Baekho's complaints about how frequently he had to break and repair the lock on that door did not seem to help Aron remember; it was just one of his quirks. One evening, you had come across the key lying in a fruit bowl and therefore managed to save Aron from Minhyun or Baekho's lecturing; he seemed most appreciative of it and had even made a special bowl of pasta exclusively for you out of gratitude.
               Baekho kept a sharp eye on any repairs that needed doing and was efficient in mending any flaws in the ship's structure. During your first night on the ship, you had discovered a very small hole above the bed in your box room which under normal circumstances would not have been an issue, but hearing the wind whistling through all night long had prevented you from sleeping at all...not that it made much difference when you were suffering from insomnia. Still, it was the principle. You told Baekho the next day and with a great big smile on his face before noon, he had filled the hole in and it was mended. Problem solved. Later, you discovered that Baekho himself had been the one to create that small hole in that cabin as it used to be Minhyun's quarters; when Baekho was not working hard, he was playing pranks on the others.
               Minhyun was a little like JR in that he kept himself very much to himself in terms of his background. The difference however was that he enjoyed talking about navigation, a lot. You had not minded too much at first but now it had reached a point where you had started to hide around corners every time you saw him coming just to spare yourself from a lecture about why the North Star was the most important star when navigating or why cloudy nights were such a pain when travelling. As fascinating as it all was, you did not quite have the same enthusiasm as him about the subject matter. Funny thing is Aron and Baekho had warned you about Minhyun's obsession with the stars. If you had not believed them before, you certainly did now.
               Out of all the crew however, Ren seemed to have a different aura to him. The way he spoke, dressed and carried himself sometimes reminded you of nobility. Whenever you all sat to eat meals, Ren would hold his cutlery very precisely whilst sitting poised and proper. When the captain was not around, the others would about how his pinky finger stuck out to one side when he drank from his tankard and how funny it looked, but he would give them one hardened look and they would immediately cease the mocking (you learnt they would never dare to say that in front of JR as he had a tendency of doing the same). Ren was respected, that much you could tell but you suspected you had yet to see his full potential.
               You did not know much about pirates, least of all sky pirates but the crew of the NU'EST did not seem to match the description of what a pirate would do in the general sense. Despite not knowing what the crew pirated, you were not quite sure you wanted to find out but if you were to be on this ship for a while, it was inevitable that you would discover the truth of their trade eventually...

 

               It was a Friday evening when you bravely approached the Captain's cabin, your fist hovering over the door. You had mentally prepared yourself to talk to JR, to ask a question or two which you had held back from asking him. It had taken a lot of courage to even approach his cabin but now you were here and you were ready. Just as you were about to knock, the door swung open and you found yourself face to face with JR. Both of you stood there, a little surprised by the others presence.
               "Oh...are you okay?" he asked.
               "Huh? Oh...yes, yes I'm...fine...." you replied dumbstruck. JR smiled before stepping past you and walking briskly to the ladder leading down to the second deck. Strange. Without a second's thought, you ran after him, wondering why he was in such a hurry. When you found him, he was stood in the doorway of the kitchen, addressing the rest of the crew.
               "...so once we reach the port, keep a low cover as much as possible. Is that understood?"
               "Aye, aye Captain!" the crew chimed in unison before finishing their bowls of rice and leaving a pile of washing in the middle of the table. Aron looked at the dishes and sighed heavily before picking them up and dumping them in the sink for later.
               "What's going on?" you cautiously asked JR.
               "We'll be arriving at the port of Gyraskie soon."
               "Gyraskie?" you repeated, the name foreign on your tongue.
               "Gyraskie is a dangerous place and I don't like stopping here, but-if we're going to find your parents, then this is the only place where we'll be able to get the information we need."
               "I'm coming with you," you replied decisively.
               "Coming with us? Did you not just hear me? It's dangerous!" JR told you. "It's out of the question; you stay here with Aron and help him clear up the kitchen. He looks like he needs the help," JR whispered that last part to you but Aron seemed to have heard anyway from the disdainful expression upon his face. Turning on his heel, JR left the cabin but you followed after him, resolved in your decision
               "Please, if this is about finding my parents then I should-"
               "Miss," JR abruptly stopped and turned to you, "I understand that this is your first time on a ship with a crew and Captain, but Captain's orders are Captain's orders. Now tell me-if you were to get off at this port and someone recognised you, how much trouble would we be in?"
               You looked up at JR, for the first time a little bit wary of him despite the truth behind his words. "There is a reason why I make the decisions I do and it's not because I want to make anyone's life miserable," his expression softened and you realised then that he genuinely cared for your safety, for everyone's safety. Even so, something stubbornly tugged at you over and over again like a child, stomping their feet and saying that it was not fair and that you should get to go. In the end, it was Ren who came to your rescue.
               "What if she goes in disguise?" he suggested as he adjusted his frilly, white cravat.
               "Ren-"
               "It's dangerous, I agree, but isn't she safest by your side?"
               You watched as Ren and JR stood staring one another down, a silent battle ensuing with you stood in the middle, looking between them both awkwardly. In the end, JR sighed, giving in. Waving his hand to Ren, he replied with, "You have five minutes before we disembark. If you're not ready by then, we leave without you." With that, the Captain climbed back to the top deck and you were left with Ren and his vast array of wigs and costumes and five minutes in which to create a false identity...

 

               Gyraskie was not a pleasant port in the slightest. Despite having travelled plenty over the years, you had never seen a port so run down and in such a desperate need of repair. The ropes typing many of the ships to the dock were fraying and barely hanging on by threads. Many of the boats and ships which had docked the port were filthy, their hulls slimy and the paintwork severely chipped; glancing back to the NU'EST you realised just how clean and well polished it was in contrast. Perhaps those boats were just ordinary sea ships as opposed to skyships like the NU'EST? It was the only explanation you had for the amount of grime plastered all up the sides of their structure.
               Following behind JR and Ren obediently with Baekho taking up the rear of the group, you tried to avoid eye contact with other sailors at the dock, most of whom were stocky, tattooed, menacing looking folk. You realised then why JR had suggested it would be safer for you to stay on board the NU'EST. The crew of the NU'EST stuck out like a sore thumb with the ship looking even more out of place against the dank, sepia scenery that was the docks. They were too well dressed, to clean for the likes of this grubby place.
               "Stay close and whatever you do, don't engage with anyone, even if they try to speak to you," JR told you all calmly. "I'll get the information we need from our friend and then we leave as swiftly as the wind."
               "Aye captain," you all replied quietly in unison, trying to keep as low a profile as possible, although that was quite difficult for you with the strange shoulder length, black wig and red bandana Ren had put on your head. Let us not forget the twirly moustache either which Ren had assured you suited you well and helped you blend it; you were not quite sure whether you ought to take that as a compliment or not but you figured then was not the time to be offended. Pressing the moustache awkwardly against your philtrum, you hoped that it would not fall off.
               It felt a little strange being with just three members of the crew then but Minhyun had stayed behind with Aron to help tidy and keep guard. At first you had felt a little sorry for Minhyun having to help Aron clean up all those dishes, but when you saw just how diligent Minhyun was cleaning after you had exited Ren's room and how he kept pressing Aron to work more efficiently you realised your pity was for the wrong party. The thought of Aron being chided by Minhyun and then lectured about the importance of the stars made you smile; perhaps it was mean to imagine, but given the current situation, you needed something to distract you from the uneasy feeling at the pit of your stomach.
               The footpaths into Gyraskie were dusty and your grey boots were consequently covered in grey and yellow powder before even reaching the main town. Whatever the earth was made up from here, it was definitely not soil or even stone. Thankfully it was a short ten minute journey to where you needed to get to but unfortunately it had not left you with much time to quiz the crew.
               Your attempts to ask JR why you had been kidnapped in the first place and what he needed your help with were shot down with a 'later' or 'not now'. Baekho and Ren were equally as resistant, which was unsurprising. If the Captain was not willing to speak than neither would the crew. It was a little frustrating being kept in the dark and although you were unnaturally comfortable with them all, you wondered if it was a false sense of security. You were certain they would not injure you, but they had tied you up and thrown you in a small store room to begin with; who knew what else they would do if pushed to it...
               Shaking off the anxious thoughts, you following the crew into a tall building, the sign 'The Sorrowful Downpour' hanging from it, rocking gently in the wind. Upon entering, you realised the building was in fact a tavern.
               "Strange name for a tavern," you whispered to yourself out loud without realising.
               "I wouldn't go around saying things like that," Baekho placed a hand upon your shoulder, "You might attract trouble." Nodding, a lump formed in your throat as you noticed the quietly observing patronages, drinking solemnly from their tankards whilst frowning at you.
               "Noted." Suddenly the name of the tavern did not seem so strange after all...
               JR walked straight to the bar and ushered the bartender, who looked up at JR and immediately recognised him.
               "Do you want to talk to him round the back?" the bartender asked JR.
               "Here's fine, but we need to be quick," JR tilted his head before side way glancing towards the people sitting in the tavern, drinking quietly, a little too quietly. The bartender exited the bar through a beaded doorway, the silent atmosphere suffocating now. You wanted to ask JR why you were all here but knew better than to open your mouth, especially when all eyes were currently on all of you. The best thing to do was to stay quiet and keep your head down. Thankfully Baekho's hand was still upon your shoulder and its presence offered you reassurance and safety.
               Moments later, the bartender returned, paused, yelled at the occupants of the tavern to get on with their business rather than staring dumbfounded at the new company then continued busying himself with cleaning washed tankards with a dishcloth. Everyone seemed to oblige as they returned to their hushed conversations whilst drinking hastily from their glasses, the contents sloshing and splashing on to the wooden tables much to the bartender's annoyance.
               The beads rattled in the doorway and a figure emerged. He was tall, probably just slightly taller than Minhyun and his face was chiseled perfectly, his sharp brown eyes turning up into a smile as he came out from behind the bar and gave JR a tight hug.
               "It's been so long," he pulled away, a smile plastered on his face before he gave Ren and Baekho warm hugs too. Then he paused in front of you and raised an eyebrow.
               "And who might you be?" the man asked you curiously.
               "Hyunbin," JR called out to the man, "We have an urgent matter to deal with and we need your help." Removing the newspaper article JR had shown you when you had first boarded the NU'EST, he handed it to Hyunbin who examined it thoroughly.
               "They're a bad lot, these guys," Hyunbin shook his head. "I feel sorry for the guardians of the painted crystals. Those guys will stop at nothing to get the information they need." Hearing Hyunbin's words did little to ease your worries and the others knew this too. Ren took your hand into his and pressed it gently.
               "Don't worry," he whispered to you. "We'll find them." You wanted to believe Ren's words but there did not seem to be much hope in them.
               "Have you heard anything about where they might be Hyunbin?" JR pressed on as he placed the newspaper clipping back inside his jacket pocket. Hyunbin leant forward, ensuring no one else was listening in before revealing to JR, "Last I heard they were en route to Ballastride."
               "Ballastride?" JR furrowed his brows. "But why would they be heading there?"
               "Beats me," Hyunbin shrugged. "That island has been deserted for years. No person goes there unless it's for a reason and considering why these guardians were kidnapped, I think we can take a good guess as to why these pirates are taking them to this island."
               "Is your source reliable?" JR asked Hyunbin.
               "As reliable as they get," Hyunbin replied. "Why are you searching for these loons anyway? Captain of the NU'EST isn't after the crystals too by any chance?" Hyunbin smirked, raising an eyebrow suggestively.
               "It's nothing like that," JR firmly told Hyunbin. "Our presence here was under the radar, understood?"
               "Loud and clear, Captain," Hyunbin replied.
               It was then Hyunbin looked across to you and pointed to his philtrum before pointing to you. At first you were not quite sure what he was trying to tell you but when the moustache upon your face peeled off and fell to the floor, you realised then the message he had tried to convey. You heard the thud of tankards being put down upon the tables and chairs scraping against the floor.
               "Time to go I think..." Baekho told the others. JR headed to the front door only for the exit to be blocked by two men. Stepping back, JR assessed the situation before asking Ren, "What weapons do we have on us?"
               "Weapons?" you repeated the word, eyes widening.
               "I have a pistol inside my jacket, Baekho has two knives in his back pocket and I planted a spare folded knife in her jacket pocket just in case."
               "What?" you patted your jacket down and felt the small object placed in your left hand pocket. When and where Ren had placed that there, you had no idea.
               "There's at least twenty people in here," JR mused out loud.
               "I don't want any casualties. If the authorities find out, it'll be a heap of paperwork and trouble for me and probably not much better for you," Hyunbin told JR.                "It might be best you all escape through the back."
               "Hyunbin's right," JR told you all before returning to the bartender. "One tankard please of your finest beer."
               "What's he doing?" You hissed to Ren.
               "A diversion," Ren whispered back before ushering you after Hyunbin towards the back.
               Unsure of what was even happening, you complied and followed after Hyunbin. Past the kitchen, Hyunbin led you straight through to the storeroom before clambering over boxes and heading right to the back. Eventually, you all reached the end of the room and there Hyunbin fumbled with some keys before finding the right one. Just as he was about to put it into the lock and open the door, a shot fired and he jumped back. A figure stood in the doorway with a gun in his hand; it was one of the men who had blocked the front door of the tavern.
               "Just where d'ya think yer going?" he asked in a gruff voice. Before anyone could reply, there was a thud. The man's eyes rolled back before he fell flat to the ground. Behind him was JR, stood with the tankard in his hand. He took a swig before replacing the man's pistol with the now empty tankard.
               "That really was a good beer," JR smiled before flicking a coin to Hyunbin.
               "Cheers," Hyunbin chuckled before pocketing the coin and finally opening the door. "I'd say you have about five minutes from when you board your ship before you'll have company." Ren and Baekho thanked Hyunbin before exiting the building.
               You hesitated momentarily and turned to JR. He had placed a hand on Hyunbin's arm and was smiling. Just what had happened when you had left him in the tavern whilst escaping? He was unscathed; no shots had been fired from inside the building and yet no one was coming after you. You could not explain it. What 'diversion' exactly had JR created to stop those brutes from chasing you all?
               "Tell Minhyun he still owes me from the other time," Hyunbin told JR as he pressed a parchment into his hand.
               "I'll tell him you say 'hi'," JR replied before turning to you. "Time to go."

 

               Safely aboard the NU'EST, you watched as the crew set about preparing the ship for cast off. Standing in the centre of it all, you felt a little helpless so you decided to go down to the second deck out of the ship. Entering the kitchen, you found Aron there, quietly napping in his hammock in the far corner. Not wanting to disturb him, you turned to tip-toe back out but he stopped you.
               "You hungry?" clambering down from the hammock, Aron grabbed an apple and threw it to you. Catching it, you thanked him before taking a bite and sitting down at the table
               "How did it go?" Aron asked.
               "Well, we went to this tavern," you began as you pulled off the wig upon your head. "Someone called Hyunbin was there and he told the Captain that the people who kidnapped my parents were heading to the island Ballastride."
               "The desolate island, Ballastride?"
               "The very same," you took another bite of the apple, savouring the juicy sweetness as it oozed through your fingertips. "Hyunbin suggested that maybe one of the painted crystals is hidden there."
               "Maybe..." Aron bit into his own apple and for a while, you both sat there, contemplating the unfolding of events silently. The ship jerked suddenly and you realised that it had left the docks. Thank goodness. At least you would be safe in the sky again.
Hyunbin's information about the thugs who had kidnapped your parents seemed vague but it was all you had to go on. When you thought about it though, everything currently seemed vague. No one had explained anything properly and all the unanswered questions pulled at you for answers once more.
               "Aron, can I ask you something," you began tentatively.
               "If it's for another apple, then I'm afraid it's a 'no' as we're low on supplies."
               "No, it's...why am I here?"
               "What do you mean?" Aron asked.
               "Before you all knew that I didn't know my parents were missing, you had kidnapped me and JR had said my help was needed for something. What is my help needed for?"
               "That..." Aron twitched his mouth to one side and pulled a very distressed expression. "It's not my place to say."
               "If you can't tell me, then who can?" Aron wrote JR's name on the tabletop using his finger.
               "Captain's orders."
               "Of course..." you sighed heavily, sitting back in the chair, exhausted. "You know, JR sure is a mysterious guy."
               "Mysterious?" Aron guffawed at the comment you had made. "There's really nothing mysterious about him."
               "No? Then how come at the tavern just now, when we were leaving to escape through the back door, JR stayed behind as a 'diversion' yet no one was injured, including himself and no one came after us? Explain that!"
               "Don't tell me he pulled the beer trick again," Aron threw his head back and began to laugh.
               "The beer trick? Wait, what's so funny?" But Aron was too hysterical to answer properly. He did not stop laughing even when Ren entered the cabin and told Aron he had ten minutes to prepare their evening meal. In fact, when Ren asked why Aron was laughing and you told him, even Ren began to laugh. Groaning, you realised there were clearly going to be no sensible answers from anyone today. You excused yourself and went to your own quarters, sighing heavily as you did so. There you lay upon your makeshift bed, staring at the wooden beams above you replaying the events of the past week in your head.

               Your first adventure with the crew of the NU'EST had been bizarre if a little hair raising, but your curiosity was peaked. There were clearly many things they were each hiding about one another from you and you hoped that in due time, these secrets would be revealed. The Captain of the ship seemed keen to keep you in the dark but you were determined. If you were to be a part of the crew then you needed to be treated as so, but how to win their trust over? It would not be easy but you needed to try, if not for yourself then for your parents. They needed you and you needed to be brave.
               Reaching across to under your bed, you pulled out a notebook and a pencil, both of which had been given to you when you had come aboard the NU'EST upon your request. Flipping the book open to the next free page, you scrawled down all the information you had so far about your parents whereabout and about the pirates who had kidnapped them. Once you had finished, you then turned to the back page and wrote each of the crew's names down and pondered long and hard. Which crew member should you work on gaining information from first? That was the question...


NEXT CHAPTER: Arc chapter involving one of the members of the NU'EST.

Who do you as the reader want the chapter to be focussed on?
Excluding our dear Captain JR, pick a member of the crew and post their name in the comments below!
Voting period will last until the 21st July 2017.
The most voted member will be picked to be written about in the next chapter!

Thank you for reading and do look forward to the progression of this fic!