1/1

From Strangers to Something
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

a/n: It's a long oneshot eventually. 16,990 words(sorry to those who hate reading long chapter, I didn't find any part suitable to be forwarded into a different chapter). I hope I didn't leave anything at all >_< But I apologize for any errors and holes hihi. Enjoy~

 

Ding.

 

Chaeyoung placed her mug carefully on the coffee table and sighed, ignoring the device located next to her on the couch. Within probably five minutes, her device had dinged for five times and she knew that all of those notifications were from the same group chat without even checking. Just yesterday, her friend Jennie had been talking nonstop about her plan on New Year’s Eve, telling Chaeyoung that she was going to spend it with her boyfriend in a party in his house and that there would be lots of drinking. Lots of grinding and lots of humping –as what Jennie said.

 

Basically, to sum it up, it would be a really wild party and Chaeyoung didn’t think that she would like to be present in that surrounding during this moment in her life; especially when she knew for sure that her ex-boyfriend would be there since he and Jennie’s boyfriend were best buddies.

 

Her fingers crawled on the couch to slowly grab on the remote to change the channel. New Year’s Eve was supposed to be fun even if she chose to stay at home and alone but boy was she wrong. Had the television always been so boring on New Year’s Eve? She remembered that it used to be so fun back then. Maybe when she started to hang around Taehyung that staying at home felt so boring.

 

Even so, she needed to train herself to love being at home because this new home of her would be the safest place since Taehyung had no idea she had moved.

 

Chaeyoung stood up and decided to go to the balcony to take in fresh air while waiting for some fireworks to decorate the dark sky when her phone suddenly dinged for another five times in a row without any gap. With a deep sigh, she bent down to silence her phone when she noticed something weird.

 

There were five messages from an unknown number and they were all the same message.

 

– You would be begging on your knees if you could see how happy I am now.

 

She furrowed her brows for a second before deleting all five messages, not wanting to reply to any of it. It could be Taehyung wanting for attention.

 

A few seconds before she managed to toss her phone on the couch, a notification came in, telling her that she had just received another message. It was from the same number and for some reason, she clicked on it to read.

 

– I thought I was going to be in despair without you in my life, but I guess not.

 

– I just want to tell you that dumping me for some nerd was probably the worse decision you’ve ever made in your life.

 

– Wanna know why? I’ll show you why.

 

Chaeyoung knitted her brows and thought that it might be best if she told this person that he or she was sending messages to the wrong number. She didn’t need to know about someone else’s breakup story when she was trying to handle her own, even though she was the one initiated it in her situation. Just as she pressed her thumb on the ‘Send’ button, she was notified of another message by the same number, and somehow, her thumb automatically slid on the screen and clicked on the notification without realizing that she had just received a picture.

 

It was too late to press ‘Back’ when her eyes were greeted with a picture of an unknown man in just his underwear, posing in front of a long mirror. One of his hands was holding his phone while his other hand had the fingers slipped in the waistband of his black underwear, showing his v-line. His thighs were big and looked strong, as well as his veiny arms. The perfect lighting in the room he was in made the lines of his abs looked so beautiful and well, he was mesmerizing.

 

Chaeyoung could feel her eyes were wide and she didn’t think she had blinked once ever since she had laid her eyes on the picture. She felt herself heating up the more she stared at the picture before another message came in that eventually stopped her from staring and helped her to blink.

 

– What do you mean wrong number????

 

She figured that he had read the message she sent to him.  Would it be wise to reply to him or it was a better decision to ignore him? She thought of it silently in her head, sometimes getting distracted over the new image she had seen playing around in her head before finally deciding to keep her phone away and proceed to the balcony. He would probably stop sending her messages now that he knew.

 

As soon as she stepped into the balcony, her phone rang from the inside and she somehow found herself turning around to grab the device, chewing on her lower lip multiple times before she answered the call from the stranger.

 

“H-hello?” she softly said.

 

There was a long pause before the person on the other line responded.

 

“.”

 

And the line went dead.

 

*

 

It was 3AM and Jungkook was still unable to sleep. He tossed and turned for a few times but none of those attempts helped him to get his sleep.

 

Every single time he saw his phone, it made him wish that he was born way before the first telephone was born. It made him wish that technology didn’t even exist in the first place. It made him wish that he was born around the same era as Alexander Graham Bell so he could stop the scientist from inventing telephone.

 

Jungkook gulped and brought himself up to sit on his bed. He took his phone on the bedside table and checked back on all the messages he had sent to that number he thought owned by his ex-girlfriend. , he cursed in his mind, his face scrunched up and eyes squeezed shut as he tugged on his hair. “Damn it!”

 

He must had typed in wrongly when he saw his ex-girlfriend’s number on a poster promoting a competition held in the dance academy belonged to her father.

 

After minutes of cursing and telling himself how stupid he was for even sending that picture and ruining his New Year on his own, he finally forced himself to think that at least he sent it to a stranger and that there would be less to zero chance of meeting that person. Besides, it wasn’t as though he sent a completely picture of him. At least, his thing was still hidden.

 

And well, now that he thought of it, it was great that his ex-girlfriend didn’t receive those pathetic messages. When he read those back, he sounded like he was desperate for her attention and that he still couldn’t get over her, which was the opposite of what he was trying to tell her. And that would be embarrassing.

 

There was no need of him to think about that stupid incident further.

 

*

 

“Oh dear god,” Chaeyoung groaned when the sky suddenly growled and before she could get herself into the restaurant she was heading to, the rain poured down and covering her face with her hand was no use at all. By the time she finally opened the door to the restaurant, her hair was already soaked as well as the new beautiful shirt she had bought herself last week and she believed that her makeup was ruined.

 

“Look at you,” she heard Jennie muttered when she approached the latter. Jennie was with her boyfriend, being all touchy and flirty and Chaeyoung hated that her brain had to remind her of when she used to be like that with Taehyung.

 

“Don’t say a word,” Chaeyoung mumbled as she settled herself in front of the couple, quickly taking out her precious mirror to check on the condition of her makeup. Well, it was totally ruined. And to make everything worse, when she was placing her handbag on the table, she accidentally hit on the glass, causing the drink that she hadn’t tasted yet to spill on the table, onto her thighs. “Great!” she hissed. “Oh wow, I am such a lucky person, aren’t I?” she said through gritted teeth.

 

It wasn’t even a week into 2017 and one after another of an unfortunate event had rained on her mercilessly.

 

“That’s what you get for dumping my friend,” Jennie’s boyfriend, Namjoon said with a shrug and Chaeyoung glared at him for seconds. She wished she could find some reason so her friend would dump that annoying man but then, Namjoon was such a perfect guy to Jennie.

 

“I didn’t know that my luck depends on him,” she muttered with a role of her eyes. “Jennie, do you have tissue or something?”

 

“No. Let me call the waiter,” Jennie said and turned her head around. “Do they even have a waiter here? Oh wait, I think that’s the waiter.” She lifted up her hand and waved and Chaeyoung was praying that the tissue would come before her skin got sticky.

 

“Do you guys have tissue?” Jennie asked when a guy came to their table and Chaeyoung busied herself flicking off some ice on her shirt.

 

The guy was silent for a moment before he said, “Um. I think you’re mistaken. I don’t work here.”

 

Namjoon chuckled and Chaeyoung could tell that he was about to shoot some annoying statement. “What do you mean you don’t work here? You could pass as a waiter with your white shirt and black pants.”

 

The guy chuckled in return before he responded with something that made Chaeyoung smiled from ear to ear.

 

“Well, you could pass as a clown with that choice of outfit,” he said before leaving their table and Chaeyoung watched his back as he walked towards a table far away from them.

 

“The hell?” Namjoon said with widened eyes. “Who the hell does he think he is?!”

 

Jennie rubbed on her boyfriend’s back, trying to comfort him as he asked her, “Do I look like a ing clown?”

 

Jennie let out soft hums as she stared at him and Chaeyoung replied for her friend. “You look very much like a clown.”

 

“You shut your mouth,” Namjoon said with a glare and Jennie squeezed his shoulder.

 

“Well, even if you look like a clown, you’d be a cute clown,” she said and like a magic, all the irritation on his face disappeared and Chaeyoung rolled her eyes at the sight of the two eating each other’s face in front of her. Jennie used to complain about Taehyung and her doing that and she used to not understand why it was disgusting to her friend. Well, now she did.

 

“Babe, I need to go,” Namjoon said after finishing his food. “I got some stuff to do in the office. Are you coming with me?”

 

Chaeyoung watched with halfway chewing on her food as Jennie pouted, her eyes slowly moved from her boyfriend to Chaeyoung and showed a pitiful kitten look. Closing her eyes in annoyance, Chaeyoung focused back on her food and muttered, “Just go then.”

 

Jennie stood up abruptly and kissed her cheek hastily, saying her goodbye before leaving and Chaeyoung sighed. Being single was such a torture when everyone else was the opposite of that.

 

The rain did not stop even after minutes she had wasted waiting for it to stop. Chaeyoung eventually came up with a decision to just run to her car and hoped that she wouldn’t break her heels while running. With her handbag placed above her head, she inhaled deeply before trying to step into the rain when a hand stopped her from doing so. She turned to look at her elbow that was gripped by a hand of a man.

 

“Are you going to run in those heels?” he asked and Chaeyoung averted her eyes to his face.

 

She was sure she didn’t know him but he looked familiar.

 

“Where did you park your car?” the man asked, hand was still holding her elbow gently.

 

“There.” She pointed at her car parked across the road. “The black one,” she said.

 

The man smiled and gently let her elbow go. “Well, there are two black cars over there. Which one’s yours?”

 

Chaeyoung furrowed her brows. “Why do you ask?”

 

He chuckled a little and Chaeyoung realized that he was the same guy who had dissed Namjoon earlier. He was quite good looking if she had to judge. The stranger opened his umbrella and said, “So I can walk you to your car?”

 

“Oh…” she muttered and she didn’t know why she had her eyes glued to his arm and his hand that was holding the umbrella. “The one with pink stripes.”

 

“Okay,” he nodded and moved closer to her. “Let’s go.”

 

Thanks to the handsome stranger, she didn’t have to be soaked by the rain for the second time and it was really heartwarming to know that there was someone like him existed. He was still standing next to her car when she had settled herself in the driver’s seat.

 

“Thank you,” she said with a smile once she rolled the window down. “Where’s your car?” she asked and the stranger stepped back a little, his thumb slipping inside the pocket of his jeans and Chaeyoung blinked her eyes in confusion because that pose seemed a little bit familiar and it was weird how she felt as if she had seen him before with that pose.

 

It took her only a few seconds to recall back where, how and when had she seen him. Her eyes widened as they traveled down from his face to his neck to his chest to his hand and she quickly looked away before she could settle her eyes on his crotch when she was reminded of her New Year’s Eve.

 

“My car’s just –”

 

Chaeyoung sped away.

 

*

 

“My car’s just –” Jungkook’s eyes enlarged and he moved backwards quickly when the woman’s car slipped off the parking space in a rush. “– behind. Yours,” he continued, brows furrowed deeply as he stared at the car.

 

That was weird.

 

He wondered alone if any other woman was as weird as she was. And Jungkook wondered about what the possible reasons could be of why she would suddenly leave after asking him a question without even getting her question answered. She was probably just born weird or plain rude. Perhaps, she thought it was fun to fool a guy after getting helped, either the help was asked by her or it was volunteered.

 

Oh, how he hated that kind of woman. It reminded him of his ex.

 

On his way home, Jungkook couldn’t get the woman’s face off his head. Her fierce yet innocent looking face was so attractive to see and deep down, he was hoping that he could at least get her number and try out his luck because he felt like it had been forever since his ex-girlfriend left him and that she had said to him that he should at least be grateful that he had once dated her because she would be the only good looking girl who would date him.

 

Well, he wanted to prove her wrong. Jungkook wanted her to know that she shouldn’t think so highly of herself because someone else out there was also pretty and charming and she was not alone in that.

 

But maybe, he was just unlucky in dating after all because all his attempts on getting numbers of pretty girls that he had met were all vain. Two days ago he had asked for the librarian’s number with a sticky note on the book he wanted to borrow, and the reply he got was written beneath his question.

 

‘010--off!’

 

Was his mother lying when she told him that he was good looking? Was everyone in his high school blind when he was chosen as the most handsome student in his senior year or were they just pranking him? What was it about him that threw people off? Why wouldn’t girls come to him with or without effort made by him?

 

Did Lisa date him just to get people to know her back in high school and throughout college?

 

Well if she did, Jungkook prayed that Jimin, that ing nerd would leave her so she would be as broken as he was when she left him. Jungkook could see how Jimin was becoming Lisa’s world the last time he saw the two. He had never seen her looking at him that way when they were dating before.

 

When Jungkook arrived at his apartment, the rain had stopped and he sat at the balcony when he heard the new person living above him was playing guitar and singing. So far, it was probably the only best thing that had happened to him for the past few weeks. It seemed as though his neighbor knew exactly when to sing to cheer on him whenever he had a bad day.

 

*

 

“So, let me get this straight. A hot stranger sent you a y picture of him and you actually met him?”

 

“Yes,” Chaeyoung answered flatly.

 

“And you ran away from him?”

 

“Yes.”

 

“And you’re asking me if you’re actually stupid to do that?”

 

“Yes.”

 

Jennie stared at her long enough to make her feel uncomfortable. “Yes. You are stupid.”

 

“What?” Chaeyoung asked, jerking her head backwards. She wasn’t surprised to have Jennie used that word on her but she was surprised that Jennie would call her stupid to do that. Usually, when a guy approached her after her breakup with Taehyung, Jennie would be the biggest supporter of her rejecting those guys because she wanted Chaeyoung to get back to Taehyung.

 

Jennie shrugged and lay on Chaeyoung’s bed as careful as she could after getting her nails painted. “I just realized that no matter how hard I try to get you back with Taehyung, you, in a million years, will never ever agree to that. I just realized that you really want to move on from him. I just realized that maybe you should get back to dating but not with him.”

 

Chaeyoung rolled her eyes with a loud scoff. “What took you so long to realize all that?”

 

“I admit that I hated to see you two being so in love with each other that it seemed as though you couldn’t live without one another but then when I started to date Namjoon, I kind of understand all of those acts. Seeing you being alone was really weird to me and seeing Taehyung talking about you made my heart hurt, you know. I wanted you two to be together again, and I guess I was blinded by that.”

 

Wasn’t it always that way? People tend to start appreciating a little too late.

 

“What changed you then?” she asked, not really curious but she needed something to distract her from the image of that stranger. She swore that she couldn’t get his face out of her mind ever since she met him that day.

 

“I saw it with my own two eyes that he was with that girl. Clearly, that girl was not a one-time thing,” Jennie said with a sad sigh. “Sorry for doubting you.”

 

They went into a deep silence after that but it wasn’t an uncomfortable one before Jennie suggested her something that managed to color her cheeks red.

 

“Luckily you have that stranger’s number. How about you send him a y picture of you in your cutest lingerie and see what his respond will be.”

 

“Are you crazy?!” Chaeyoung shook her head and stared at her phone as she said, “I’m not doing that!”

 

*

 

Jungkook would do anything just to get his mind off the tension he was having from the loads of work he had been assigned by his boss. This week was hell to him because he needed to finish up a bunch of reports and he wished he hadn’t taken up this offer in the first place and chose to work in Yoongi’s workshop instead.

 

Yoongi might be the stingiest person in the whole world when it came to salaries –Hoseok had been complaining a lot –but Jungkook would probably have a lot of fun working there with his two friends instead of working with those strangers. If he hadn’t been blinded by money, he wouldn’t have to live an exhausting life like how he was at that very moment.

 

It was late when he arrived home and he was beyond exhausted to even cook himself a proper meal. Nevertheless, he wouldn’t leave his stomach growling and crying for food so he feed himself with some instant noodle and a few slices of bread.

 

It was 12AM sharp when his phone vibrated next to his head and he groaned as he tried to open his eyes to check on the message sent by the person who had disturbed his sleep. It took him almost half a minute just to get his eyes to fully open and it took him a few more seconds to realize what was sent to him.

 

It was a picture of lingerie.

 

Jungkook’s eyes shot open when he saw the sender’s ID.

 

‘Not Lisa’

 

For some reason, he hadn’t deleted that number when he found out that it wasn’t Lisa’s and renamed it as ‘Not Lisa’. He couldn’t figure out himself why he had decided to keep that number.

 

Why did the stranger send him this? Was this person trying to make fun of him after that stupid incident of him sending his almost picture? Or was this person trying to flirt with him?

 

Jungkook swallowed as the last one crossed his mind. If this person was trying to flirt with him, it wouldn’t be wrong to be playing along. He was sleepy and tired but this was new to him and seemed interesting. Besides, tomorrow was Sunday. So if this would ease his exhausted mind for a little bit, he didn’t think it would harm anyone if he decided to send this stranger a reply and hope for some interactions until he fell asleep.

 

*

 

Chaeyoung buried her face into her pillow when she realized that she had done the dumbest and perhaps, the most embarrassing thing in the world. Sure, she didn’t send a picture of herself wearing the lingerie like what Jennie had suggested but the fact that she even sent him a picture was just so embarrassing. Since when did she become so into this flirt-with-a-stranger thing? Was she that desperate to find someone to fill in the void?

 

Chaeyoung’s breath stuck in when she heard her phone was notified of a new message and with a soft bite on her lip, she slowly reached towards her phone and glanced at the screen.

 

It was him. He had sent her a reply.

 

She didn’t know what she expected him to reply but she knew she didn’t expect that kind of reply at all.

 

– Cute lingerie you have. I wonder what you actually look like wearing that.

 

She could feel herself slowly heating up at that and she didn’t know if it was the devil or her own brain being a little demon that made her contemplate about it. She was trying to think of a reply when another message from him came in.

 

– You don’t have to show me your face, although it would be lovely if you do.

 

Exactly three seconds after reading that message, Chaeyoung found herself running towards her wardrobe, grabbing the lingerie she had snapped a picture of earlier in a rush.

 

*

 

Jungkook was late to work and he knew that his boss would be infuriated if he found out about it. He cursed under his breath when the first elevator that stopped at his floor was packed with people and one of the three elevators was under maintenance. And the only one left was going down too slow that he wished he was living on the first floor instead.

 

When the elevator door opened, he sighed when that one was also packed. But if he was going to wait any longer, he might as well end up having to listen to his boss nag at him for one whole day. With a soft grunt, he slowly stepped towards the elevator but was stopped when he saw that familiar face standing in the center of the people inside.

 

It was that woman who had sped off by her car the other day.

 

“Are you coming in or not?” One old man asked in a very annoyed tone and Jungkook nodded and muttered his apology as he quickly stepped into the elevator.

 

He didn’t fail to notice the look the woman had on her face when he stepped to her front before turning around to face the door – she was looking at him with wide eyes, blinking rapidly when he stepped closer and looked away when he wouldn’t take his eyes off her.

 

Jungkook smirked. Well, she probably felt guilty for being rude the other day.

 

*

 

Chaeyoung forced herself to calm down as she stood behind the stranger with the handsome face whom she had sent a picture of herself posing in front of a long mirror with her lingerie on. Although she didn’t include her face in the picture, it didn’t help to lessen the embarrassment she was feeling at that moment.

 

He was just supposed to be a person whom she should meet only once in her life even though she planned on to not lose contact with him. He wasn’t supposed to show up again. He definitely was not supposed to show up after the series of flirting session they had on the previous night.

 

Well, one thing that she hoped for was that he didn’t actually know her and only recognized her as that woman whom he had helped before. Because if he knew her, the embarrassment would eat her alive.

 

What is he doing here anyway? Chaeyoung thought. It couldn’t be possible that he’d look for her because she didn’t tell him her name and where she lived. Well, why do I have to think so hard about it? He probably lives here as well. What a coincidence!

 

She chewed her lip hard as she thought back of the things they had sent to each other last night and couldn’t believe herself that she wasted an hour of her sleep to flirt with some stranger.

 

 

–What should I call you?

 

Chaeyoung held back her smile as she typed;

–What do you want to call me?

 

A few seconds passed and she received his reply;

–How about I call you mine?

 

Her smile disappeared when Taehyung’s face came to her mind when she read that sentence. With a little pout, she quickly typed;

–Cliché and overused. Call me ‘Pasta’ instead.

 

She waited for his response and it took him almost a minute that she thought he was disgusted at her choice of name or that he already fell asleep.

 

–I can sense that you’re a cute person, Pasta. Call me Cookie.

 

She chuckled a little. Even with those muscles he had, somehow, he fit that name and she liked it.

 

 

The elevator door opened and an old lady looked like she was going to enter when Chaeyoung looked over the shoulder of the stranger in front of her. Chaeyoung pressed her lips into a thin line. There was no space anymore behind her for her to be able to move backwards. When the lady stepped in, the handsome stranger stepped back a little and accidentally bumped into Chaeyoung. She gasped a little when she lost a bit of her balance, afraid that she would fall backwards to the few middle aged men behind her and suddenly, a hand held her hip and when she looked down, it was the hand of the man in front of her.

 

He looked over her shoulder and said, “Sorry, are you okay?” His hand was still reaching back, holding her hip firmly. Chaeyoung felt her heart skipped a beat as she stared at the strong arm of his before she cleared .

 

“Yes, thank you,” she replied lowly and he slowly removed his hand from her.

 

As soon as they reached ground floor, Chaeyoung quickly stepped out once everyone else in front of her went out and she kept her eyes down when she noticed that the guy earlier was standing a few steps away from the door. She gulped when she realized that the guy moved once she was completely out of the elevator, and when the guy suddenly walked next to her, she increased the speed of her feet walking.

 

Does he not have a car? Why is he following me?

 

“Do you always run away after saying your thanks?” he asked, matching her steps.

 

Chaeyoung slowed down and turned to look at him. “Excuse me?”

 

“You went away after thanking me the other day. And now after thanking me in the elevator, you’re running away from me.”

 

She was confused. What was he trying to say? What did he mean? Did he actually… know her?

 

The man looked at her straight in her eyes and she couldn’t bring herself to blink even once. Seeing him face to face, and longer than before, made her think that he was even better looking in person. There was something about the way he looked at her that made all the words she knew her entire life vanished just like that.

 

“What I’m trying to say is,” he paused briefly before he smiled a little, scratching the back of his head. “Am I that repulsive?” he asked softly.

 

Was he crazy? How the hell a beautiful face like his was considered repulsive?

 

Chaeyoung didn’t even know why she was stopping in the middle of her way towards the main door where her friend was waiting to spend time on this stranger. “O-of course not. You’re not even close to repulsive.”

 

The man blinked a few times at her and smiled, nodding his head softly. “So, do you just run away from people after thanking them?”

 

Swallowing thickly as she was reminded of her New Year’s Eve ‘present’ by this man, she shook her head softly and looked down when she felt vibrations in her handbag. “I just –um…” She thought of a reasonable answer. “I’m not used to strangers being kind to me.”

 

He chewed on his lip briefly and nodded again.

 

“Um…I’m late. I need to go,” she said softly as she awkwardly stepped away and the man’s eyes rounded before he cursed under his breath.

 

“Oh. Oh . Yeah. I’m late too,” he said in panic.

 

Chaeyoung sent him a polite smile and turned away when she felt a soft grip on her wrist and heard a soft ‘hey’.

 

“Can I have your name?” he asked.

 

She hesitated for a few seconds and asked back, “Why?”

 

“Well, since…I feel like we’re going to meet again in the future, I can’t just call you ‘hey’ all the time when you have a name,” he grinned.

 

“Right,” she chuckled softly and she didn’t know if she was doing the right thing. “Uh…it’s Chaeyoung.”

 

His lips formed a sweet smile after he muttered her name a few times softly. “I’m Jungkook.”

 

Cookie. Jungkook. Okay, cute.

 

*

 

“Where the hell were you?” Hoseok whined as soon as Jungkook entered the car.

 

Jungkook ignored his friend whining as he stared at Chaeyoung who was walking gracefully towards a car of her friend, he assumed. Smiling to himself, he thought of how she wasn’t as rude as she was in his mind before. She seemed like a sweet and shy person and well, the way she smiled somehow managed to calm him down from the tension of going to get nagged by his boss.

 

“So are you coming tonight?”

 

Jungkook blinked and turned to face Hoseok. “What?”

 

The older male sighed and threw him an annoyed face. “Yoongi and I planned to hit the club tonight. Are you coming?”

 

He snorted and slouched down into the seat. Every single time Yoongi and Hoseok wanted to hang out in the club and brought him along, he would end up not drinking so that he could take the two older boys home. And the fact that he was not that familiar with where Yoongi was living would make it even difficult to send him home, because he swore he’d lost his way twice before and had to spend the night with them in the car until morning arrived.

 

“No thanks,” Jungkook said. “I got stuff to do. Got buttload of reports I need to finish.”

 

“Well, I heard that Lisa and Jimin will be there to recruit some dancers into their crew.”

 

Jungkook’s eyes twitched at the two names. Slowly, he responded, “…so?”

 

Hoseok looked at him briefly and chuckled. “So I guess, new year means new you, huh? You no longer want to prove to her that she made the wrong decision to choose Jimin over you?”

 

Honestly, even though he seemed as though he hated her for doing so to him, deep down there he had to admit that he might still have feelings for her and that he wanted to get her back even if he knew he got no chance. He knew and had accepted the fact that Lisa might not have any feelings for him anymore, or even while they were together, but he hated that there was a little part of him that was desperate for her. And that might be the sole reason why he was so desperate to find a replacement so he could forget about her and so he could finally have his own happiness.

 

“What benefit will I get if I show up there?” Jungkook muttered as he stared out the window. “Will she come back to me?”

 

“Man,” Hoseok sighed. “Get over her already. You don’t need to show up in the club for her. You seem so stressed these few weeks so I thought that it might be a great idea if you come to the club with us. And maybe, you’ll find a new girl? Who knows?”

 

How was he going to get a new girl when it seemed as though all girls would push him away even before giving him a chance?

 

*

 

Chaeyoung turned around in her seat and watched her friend dancing with her boyfriend on the dance floor. She swore she was embarrassed for Jennie when Namjoon was showing off his so-called dance skills and it was even more embarrassing when a few other good dancers were clapping for him. She was sure they were being sarcastic when they yelled that he was such a good dancer.

 

When she was about to turn back around, she stopped midway when a familiar face came to view. It was that handsome stranger named Jungkook, walking next to another two guys. He noticed her as well and smiled, which she gladly returned. Jungkook turned to his two friends, telling them something before they looked at her and she noticed the smug grin they had on their faces before they went on separate ways.

 

“I didn’t expect to see you here,” Jungkook said, taking a seat next to her. “Are you here alone?”

 

Chaeyoung took a sip of her drink, her lips stretching into a smile. “No, I’m with my friend and her boyfriend. She said she wanted to join the dance crew over there,” she said, pointing at where a few dancers were observing Namjoon and Jennie dancing in the middle of everyone.

 

Jungkook turned around and stared at the crowd a little bit too long before he turned around on his seat, suddenly silent and Chaeyoung was not sure why the silence of a stranger made her feel uncomfortable to the point that she wanted him to say something. She didn’t know what triggered her to even try to start thinking of anything just for the sake of having something to be talked about with him.

 

“Did you see the blonde girl over there?” Chaeyoung said.

 

Jungkook’s head snapped towards her, eyes a little wide as he stared at her. “What?” he asked.

 

Furrowing her brows in confusion, she blinked a few times, trying to figure out the reason why he was suddenly surprised by her question. It wasn’t as though she yelled at him to make him startled. “The blonde girl,” she muttered and turned around in her seat again, facing the crowd. “She’s really good. She was dancing with her partner before my friend and her embarrassing boyfriend tried to show off their skills,” Chaeyoung chuckled.

 

Jungkook was silent again before he faced the crowd and cleared his throat. “Do you dance?”

 

She slowly tore her eyes away from the crowd and turned to Jungkook. “Huh?”

 

“Do you dance?” he asked, and looked at her with a smile.

 

Chaeyoung stared at him for a moment and shook her head with a shy smile. “I don’t.”

 

“No way,” Jungkook said with a teasing tone as he leaned backwards, propping his arm against the counter. “I’m sure you dance.”

 

She laughed and shook her head again, observing how Namjoon was still moving his body like a robot and thought of how it would be embarrassing to dance especially when there were skillful dancers observing. “Well, I do dance but I can’t consider myself as a good dancer. I don’t have skills or anything. Mostly it would only involve jumping,” she explained with a soft chuckle.

 

“Well, I didn’t ask if you can dance or not,” he said gently and when she turned to look at him, he was having a slight smirk on his face. “Come on,” he said, grabbing her hand gently.

 

He didn’t hold her hand tightly that she couldn’t take it off of his grasp, she could easily let her hand slip away from his hold if she pulled it but for some unknown reason, she let herself being dragged by him to the dance floor although her words were trying to stop him. “Hey, Jungkook. Don’t!” she chuckled. “I can’t dance! I’m just going to embarrass myself!”

 

“You won’t,” he said over his shoulder.

 

She felt her whole face reddening when everyone went silent as soon as both of them stood in the middle of the dance floor. Namjoon slowly stopped dancing when Jennie told him to before both Namjoon and Jennie stepped back. When she glanced towards Jennie, she saw her friend’s lips slowly formed a bright and wide smile and it was only making her blush even more when Jennie signaled at hers and Jungkook’s linked hands.

 

“Jungkook, I don’t want to dance,” she said after tugging on his hand. When she looked at the blonde girl and her boyfriend, she gulped when the both of them lost their smiles and their eyebrows were lifted.

 

Jungkook turned to look at her and leaned down to whisper at her ear. “Just dance with me.”

 

“No,” she said, shaking her head while her eyes wandered wildly towards the crowd. A new song replaced the previous one and before she could walk back towards her seat, Jungkook stopped her, dancing in front of her, his hand never letting hers go. She wanted to get angry but it was strange how she found her own lips curving into a smile that slowly went wide before she let out a chuckle. “What are you doing?”

 

Jungkook slid his feet on the floor and got closer towards her. “Trying to make you dance.”

 

*

 

His eyes crinkled as his lips stretched into a really wide smile while he watched Chaeyoung laughing as she took a seat before he followed suit.

 

“That was embarrassing! I can’t believe you made me do that!” She said in between her laughs. Her palms cupped her cheeks for a few seconds before she fanned herself, ducking her head down and her hair fell like a curtain closing before she lifted her face to look at him.

 

“You were awesome,” Jungkook said softly, he was chuckling himself.

 

“Awesome? Pretty sure you meant awful!” She giggled and buried her face in her palms, using her hair to cover her face even more. When she

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter