WHAT IF I DIED TOMORROW

Path

- 2 -

Her feet were sore by now as she tried to get away from the dark creatures chasing her. She didn’t know where to go, she wanted to rest, she wanted to stop running away, but the creatures won’t unless they have her and her soul. A string of curses started to flow out of as she tried her best to look for a place to hide, better yet, Yongguk himself. He knew how to stop those monsters; he could hide her from them and handle those horrific fiends until they’re gone.

She hurried her way to the place they first met, with her staggering breath and aching feet, she scraped her knee on a crooked wire that was poking out of the gate. She felt the sting of the wire that wounded her badly on her knee. She hid behind the walls of the place where they met a few years back and covered to hinder a sound from her lips that will definitely reveal her hiding spot. She looked at her knee that was covered with blood and slumped herself on the cold concrete floor. She wanted to cry but that would disclose her location, instead, she bit her lip and closed her eyes.

The long, black, needle-like fingers of the monster started to crawl on the wall exactly behind her. It was itching to catch her, take her, to steal her soul. But as it was getting closer; nearly reaching her arms to pull her, she woke up.

Like a person drowning, she woke up taking in the air her burning lungs needed. It was another dream, another nightmare she survived without him. Her vein then pulsed and proceeded to torture her with a really bad hangover. She covered her eyes and bit her lip; she wanted to cry again, she wanted to remove all the memories, no, maybe just the bad ones, the one when she wasn’t with Yongguk.

For a split second, she wondered where she was, how come she was on a bed and not on a concrete floor, how come she’s in a masculine smelled room rather than an alcohol, sweat, and vomit smelling room, and most of all, how come she’s still alive?

Her eyes then shot open and scanned her surrounding; a modern designed room. The walls were painted with a soft touch of gray with horizontally placed wooden boards that makes the room cozier. On her right were two framed abstract painting of Nicolas de Staël that depicted landscapes, a dark gray closet, and study table filled with novels. And on her left were 2 enormous glass windows that were covered with a light beige curtain, dramatically covering the room with a faint touch of the sunlight.  

“This isn’t my room” she said to herself as she held her head still shocked by what she discovered.

She looked at her side and saw a small bedside table with her bag put on top of it. She immediately snatched her bag from the table and took out her dead phone. She let out a curse and winced when she felt an unbearable sting on her left wrist and knee. She knew well where the wounds on her wrist were from, but the one on her knee was newly old to her. It happened more than once before; a bruise, a scratch, a wound, a mark, anything that would affect her physically in her dream would appear in the real world.

With her head still throbbing with pain, she pulled at the roots of her hair and tried not to scream in pain. It wasn’t her apartment, she shouldn’t really be noisy, she thought to herself.

A soft sizzling noise passed through the cracks of the door and realized that the person who helped her is already awake. She stood up carefully and slightly opened her door to see if she can scope out who helped her. The moment she took a peek, she saw a man wearing a white oversized shirt and black jeans. She wasn’t able to see what he was cooking but based on the aroma, its most likely bacon. He turned around to place the sizzling bacon on the two plates and poured some coffee into two mugs.

“I know you’re looking at me, miss, you can come out if you want. I cooked you some breakfast for your hangover” the man said sweetly as he took a sip of his coffee, not even laying an eye on her.

Baffled by his words, she walked to the table and sat down without saying anything.

“Eat up, it’s chicken noodle soup for your hangover” the man said

When she took the spoon, he looked at her and smiled softly. He cleared his throat and took his phone to browse through the news. She ate a few and was surprised with the taste of his cooking. She finished it immediately and thanked him for the food. He nodded in response.

“About last night” she said, stammering a bit with her words

“Nothing happened if ever you’re wondering. You just happened to be completely drunk last night and burst out your emotions in the open. When you passed out, I took you to my apartment and let you sleep in my room. I slept on the couch just so you know.” he said straightforwardly

“I know” she whispered softly

“Then what do you want to know?”

“Why? Why did you help a stranger like me?” she asked as she bit her lip

He looked at the girl with a bemused expression on his face and chuckled.

“Why would I leave you on that bridge at 2 am, drunk and vulnerable, not to mention, ready to take your own life?”

He took a sip of his coffee and looked once more at the girl, attentively listening to his answer.

“And I wanted you to see something more than just the problem, don’t end it then and there Miss Mirae, there’s more to life than just that.”

The girl scoffed, he wouldn’t understand even if she tried to explain it to him. It’s best if she would just leave.

“Look mister –“

“Youngjae, just call me Youngjae” the man said as he smiled at her, she shook her head and stood up slowly.

“Look, thank you for helping me last night, but next time, can you please not meddle in my life? I appreciate your concern, but I don’t want it”

“No, but you need it”

“You wouldn’t understand anything alright?” She snapped at him

“Thank you Mr. Youngjae, but I must go”

Before he was able to say another word, she left. So much for helping someone, right? He shook his head and just continued his morning routine. He wouldn’t understand? He already does.

Mirae then stormed out of Youngjae’s apartment and went home. It was quite a long taxi ride, thinking that she was still having a major hangover from her temporary relief that night. After paying, she went straight to her room and locked herself up.

Lying down on her soft white mattress, she thought about all that happened last night. It was difficult with a pounding headache that kept on encumbering her. She remembered the cuts she made on her wrist that climbed up her arm. She remembered doing that same thing when they were little. Yongguk got mad at her that time, she remembered how Yongguk got so mad to the point that there were tears in his eyes the moment he stormed off that room. That was the same day she told her he loves her.

She replayed all the times they were together, from the time they played at the playground, to the moment they graduated high school and worked their way to finish college together. Reminiscing all those memories with the one she grew up with, the one who protected her, the one she loves so much, made her salty tears flow down once more. This time, the pain, it was much more unbearable. His death was too unexpected, thinking that they were just picking out his suit and her gown for their wedding that same day. If those truck drivers weren’t racing on that highway, he would’ve been alive; if those drivers didn’t think about their pride, they wouldn’t endanger anyone, much more, end someone’s life.

It was a restless battle in the court, a restless and painful one thinking that no matter what happens, win or lose, Yongguk will never be back.  It’s been a month since that accident but she’s still a wreck. Her life came crashing down and it still is.

“What if I died tomorrow?” she asked herself

She opened her eyes and took her bottle of antidepressants. She took one out and looked at it carefully, thinking if she should do it or not, what if someone sees her or stops her? what if someone found her and have her stomach pumped to get it out?

“Midnight” she whispered to herself

“No one will see me then, I’m more than sure of it”


Did I made you guys wait? Sorry was kinda sick for a while and I really couldn't use my computer ^^' 

This chapter isn't that much, I hope you're not disappointed (although I am disappointed myself HAHAHA)