Clueless in Venice

1. One night in Venice
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

I was engaged in an Italian hotel for the holidays. It was with a company that proposed free meals and a place to stay in exchange of working labor. I had just finished my second year of high school. One friend of mine talked to me about this opportunity. We were underage so it was one of the safest way to spend holidays working, but still escaping from our ordinary lives. The tests to be accepted were really hard. Fortunately my ability to speak four languages helped me get the job. It wasn’t that easy for my friend, since she was refused at the last test. Her abilities fell short when they compared her to another candidate. She could only speak 3 languages. Like me, she couldn’t speak Italian but spoke fluently English, French and Spanish. At first, I felt really bad for her, since I got the destination of her dreams. I wasn't this interested with Italia at this time.

The only fascination I had, growing up, was for the Roman civilisation and the architecture. I had the big dream to become an influent architect, since I was in middle school. I was a kind of big head younger. I spent my time playing computer games, reading books and not paying attention in class. Still, I was considered like the smartest one, as I always got the best marks. 

My laziness got the best of me in high school. I started working for an association that helped overseas students who struggled with their everyday life. I was so involved in this project that I started neglecting my studies. I spent all my nights working and developed insomnia. My grades fell down considerably and I had to leave my parents home the next year. It wasn't because they threw me out. It was because I insisted on pursuing my humanitarian work besides my studies. I would be in a new high school in Bordeaux, in a class with a lot of athletes. Since they had conflicts with their competitions, the timetable was made in a way to help them train. I already knew at this time that I had to build a new life in the Southwest. It meant new friends, new high school, and already parting with my parents.

 

With all this weight on my shoulders, I landed in the airport of Venice Marco Polo. As soon as I retrieved my luggages, I felt overwhelmed. I was alone, in a foreign country where people spoke a language that I couldn’t understand. It was the first time that I was alone in a country where I didn't get a word. Sure, there were similar things with the Spanish but it was still hard.

I always found Venice to be an obvious choice for a trip. And I secretly hated on people that romanticized this city. When couples looked for a city to travel together, it made me cringe each time they chose Venice. 

I made my way to the hall that proposed different ways to reach the city. My eyes found the adequate board and I couldn't keep them from rolling. A shuttle, a bus, or a boat. Everything was over the top. Only an option for an helicopter would assure me in my judgement. I received a call at this moment. « Hello ? » « Are you the one, wearing a red dress and a …bun ? » I turned around and found one of my colleagues. He was moving a board with my name on it. I hung up and scoffed while walking towards the tall blonde guy. A bun, I liked the way he hesitated to put a name on my hairdo. My hair was braided and tied into a bun. But from his voice, it seemed like it was a big knot on my head. When I faced him, he spread his arms and smacked a kiss on both of my cheeks. Friendly man, he must be. « Nice to meet you, I didn't think that you would be out this fast. » I greeted him back and expres

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter